ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Western MD Football Schedules

I would like that also, unfortunately the Warriors are stuck playing a few teams that have no business being on the field with them most years. It was part of a package scheduling deal that was made. You never know though, it could happen again some day.

When hamspear first came on here, aside from being crazy confident, he didn't seem to be an excuse maker. I wouldn't be surprised if he was hacked.

I don't know about the FH thing, but you are correct on the signed, sealed and delivered. So gone off Alleganys schedule is Frederick and Brunswick replaced with Boonsboro and Dunbar. Still need week 4

I don't know about that, haven't heard that one. Would be another good pick up though, they will be really good this year from what I hear.

Smart scheduling Dunbar in week 1. The Poets always seem to get better as the season progresses. Great to see this game happen! Go Blue in this one!

Word on the Hill is a 4 game Canadian schedule against teams from the Great Blue North. Don't shoot the messenger.

Or they just have a coaching staff that believes in competition..

I agree. I don't think it's even about winning. It's about a great night at Greenway and bringing new energy to the program. In 2018 when the new school opens it's going to throw the balance of power to Alco.

I agree. I don't think it's even about winning. It's about a great night at Greenway and bringing new energy to the program. In 2018 when the new school opens it's going to throw the balance of power to Alco.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for winning.. I just think you can find a happy medium... Not all stinkers.. It wouldn't hurt anyone to have a powerhouse or 2 on the schedule..

Oh for God's sake...I get it, this is a great pickup for Alco...but let's not get all crazy here and just think that THIS one game that hasn't even been played yet is going to upend the balance of power in the force. Jesus. You dont even know what FH's schedule is yet. They plug in 4 kick-ass games into the schedule before next season begins...are we still going to run back to "yeah, but Alco has Dunbar?"

By 2018, especially if Alco loses badly two years in a row to Dunbar, they might not even be on the schedule anymore, who knows.

Kill the theatrics, Meryl.

Based on what I see at the youth levels FH is going to be racking up quite a few more state titles. That 6-7th grade team has never lost a game. Reminds me of this FH senior class when they were young. Should be fun to watch. Not to mention the current FH frosh and JV went a combined 17-1. Future so bright, gotta wear shades.

the only thing that can change the balance of power is Appel stepping down and most of his staff going with him (after 18)...even then tons of talent on the south side for years to come.

after reading all this garbage and crap on Facebook it looks like the blue side feels scheduling Dunbar is more impressive than winning 4 straight titles and having a pipeline of talent in the waiting. Kudos for the contract signing. Reality and The Hammer will smack them back in the face the first weekend in November.

Speaking of I read on Facebook the other day that FH lost all of its pass rushers. Do these people even know the rosters? FH loses a "Beast" in Conley but in reality he's the only starter on the front that they lose. 2 returners started every game and then between a hand full of others there are about 6 starts between them before injury and other issues. If anything its the secondary that is the question mark. Lost both corners and the safety. Still tons of talent behind them.

Wow Shift in Balance of Power in Cumberland? Not gonna happen with Appel at Fort Hill
I think it's Awesome Alco got Dunbar week 1, I wish FH played a few better Teams but I even understand why they don't Schedule a bunch of Bigger Schools. They have won 4 Straight Championships and that's what it's all about.
Sherando would be a Top 25 Team 7 out of 10 years if they were in Maryland.
Hollidaysburg is a nice sized School with Awesome facilities and have had many Great Football Teams over the years,
I'm a pretty big guy and I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Fort Hill Wins another Title next Season no matter what Schedule they play, They will beat Alco Twice again and Week 1 Allegany Will BEAT Dunbar...
Come Back Here Next Year and Let me know how my predictions pan out :)

Lest we all forget to easily that Alco has still been the second best team in 1A probably 3 of the last 4 years. Tough schedule or not. Being Fort Hill's biggest challenge along the way aside from the loss to Keyser.

It just got a helluva lot tougher for EVERYONE with Dunbar, Douglass, Lackey, et al dropping to 1A.

Reactions: camper21502
Oh for God's sake...I get it, this is a great pickup for Alco...but let's not get all crazy here and just think that THIS one game that hasn't even been played yet is going to upend the balance of power in the force. Jesus. You dont even know what FH's schedule is yet. They plug in 4 kick-ass games into the schedule before next season begins...are we still going to run back to "yeah, but Alco has Dunbar?"

By 2018, especially if Alco loses badly two years in a row to Dunbar, they might not even be on the schedule anymore, who knows.

Kill the theatrics, Meryl.

I definitely mis-spoke, I actually should have said, "It's POSSIBLE the new school will throw the balance of power to Allegany." I'm basing that on what I've seen in other parts of the state when a new school is constructed. It may be hard to visualize now, but when the parents and kids actually see what a brand new school building looks like, not only the athletic facilities but also brand new laboratories etc., they want to attend that school. Sometimes kids even come from other counties or even other states to attend - and that can have an positive effect on the athletic program.

Also, I'm not predicting a big victory against Dunbar, I said it's not about winning, it's about bringing something new to the Alco program. And it would be refreshing if FH adds "4 kick-ass games into the schedule," even though we know that's probably not going to happen.

I definitely mis-spoke, I actually should have said, "It's POSSIBLE the new school will throw the balance of power to Allegany." I'm basing that on what I've seen in other parts of the state when a new school is constructed. It may be hard to visualize now, but when the parents and kids actually see what a brand new school building looks like, not only the athletic facilities but also brand new laboratories etc., they want to attend that school. Sometimes kids even come from other counties or even other states to attend - and that can have an positive effect on the athletic program.

Also, I'm not predicting a big victory against Dunbar, I said it's not about winning, it's about bringing something new to the Alco program. And it would be refreshing if FH adds "4 kick-ass games into the schedule," even though we know that's probably not going to happen.

I'd settle for 2 kick-ass teams being added to the schedule. ;) But you get my point.

I don't disagree with you that a new school could work wonders in further strengthening school spirit and pride and all that good stuff. I think in spite of the deplorable condition of the current Alco, those kids still have a pretty firm grip on pride in their school and their athletics though. Like I said, their football program IS the 2nd best in 1A. But not because they lack skill or pride, but unfortunately for them, because Fort Hill has been better for a few years.

I get it, all good things must end, eventually there will be a balance of power, maybe even a shift...but I contend that it runs far deeper than JUST scheduling up. A bunch of different variables..a new, revitalized coaching staff is a huge step...a bigger step than scheduling Dunbar, imo. But Fort Hill also has a say in that power struggle. I'm just excited to see how things shake out over the next few years.

"Allegany will beat Dunbar" hmmmm. Didnt Dunbar get beat by .......... in a close playoff game and Dunbar had juniors in the key positions?

What makes you so confident that Allegany will beat what should be a very good Dunbar team

Last edited:
Dunbar lost to Walkersville this year. Their QB and most of the linemen were juniors on offense. I believe that the defense was led by seniors. Walkersville broke some plays but overall had trouble moving the ball. They say that the QB has a lot of potential but he didn't look good against Walkersville. It might also be important to note that he has played on three different teams during his high school years. It's also worthy to note that Dunbar hasn't been on the same level that they were during the TA run.

With that said, the coaching staff is intact and they are football people. If Alco can get a win against them, it's a good win. No matter what happens, my hat goes off to the Alco coaching staff for picking up a quality team.

Reactions: BoyznBlue
Dunbar lost to Walkersville this year. Their QB and most of the linemen were juniors on offense. I believe that the defense was led by seniors. Walkersville broke some plays but overall had trouble moving the ball. They say that the QB has a lot of potential but he didn't look good against Walkersville. It might also be important to note that he has played on three different teams during his high school years. It's also worthy to note that Dunbar hasn't been on the same level that they were during the TA run.

With that said, the coaching staff is intact and they are football people. If Alco can get a win against them, it's a good win. No matter what happens, my hat goes off to the Alco coaching staff for picking up a quality team.

Dunbar is on the same level they were during the TA run. It's not easy to win a 2A title. If you look at the last three years they were eliminated by the eventual 2A state champions. In the 2A playoffs you're facing a tough team three weeks in a row. It's not like the 1A playoffs where you can rest your starters in the third quarter because you're up by 30 points.

Boyz, they're not even close. Who have they had on their roster in the last four years that is even close to TA? Then go back and look at the line play. With all due respect, because I do really like the Dunbar coaches I've met and the people I've talked to, but their line play hasn't been good the last few years. Go back a few years. Their line would consistently get to the second level and blow up LBs. This last year, their young line would consistently play in a box and seldom would get off the LOS.

Boyz, they're not even close. Who have they had on their roster in the last four years that is even close to TA? Then go back and look at the line play. With all due respect, because I do really like the Dunbar coaches I've met and the people I've talked to, but their line play hasn't been good the last few years. Go back a few years. Their line would consistently get to the second level and blow up LBs. This last year, their young line would consistently play in a box and seldom would get off the LOS.

The teams they lost to in the playoffs were pretty good. That's the difference currently between 1A and 2A playoff teams. Your line can get to the second level against Harve de Grace. I do agree with you they haven't had anyone as good as TA.

Spent the last few days talking with the MIAA-A league schools digging for games. Two different head coaches tell me you don't want to play this team (I won't mention the names). I asked why not? Because they will get all your players' contact info and if you have a good one they will call him everyday in an effort to steal him and pay his way through school. I replied that we have issues in Western Maryland but nothing to that extent. I can't see those schools pulling kids from up here. He laughed and said, "Man, are you serious? They are pulling kids from Texas."

What I am getting from these coaches is that recruiting in Baltimore City has gone to the extreme for many programs. I can't verify anything like this so don't go accusing me of spreading untruth. I am only relaying what head coaches are telling me. The "IMG Academy" philosophy to win athletic games nationally is going to a crazy new level these days making the recruitment of young teenagers a big business. I find it disappointing that 15 and 16 year old kids have to see life this way.

Spent the last few days talking with the MIAA-A league schools digging for games. Two different head coaches tell me you don't want to play this team (I won't mention the names). I asked why not? Because they will get all your players' contact info and if you have a good one they will call him everyday in an effort to steal him and pay his way through school. I replied that we have issues in Western Maryland but nothing to that extent. I can't see those schools pulling kids from up here. He laughed and said, "Man, are you serious? They are pulling kids from Texas."

What I am getting from these coaches is that recruiting in Baltimore City has gone to the extreme for many programs. I can't verify anything like this so don't go accusing me of spreading untruth. I am only relaying what head coaches are telling me. The "IMG Academy" philosophy to win athletic games nationally is going to a crazy new level these days making the recruitment of young teenagers a big business. I find it disappointing that 15 and 16 year old kids have to see life this way.

To play devils advocate I could see the potential good for the players who got recruited to an MIAA-A school. They would get a free Private School education and exposure on and off the field that they're not going to get up here in Western Maryland. Honestly, I would view it as an honor for other schools to take interest in players on my team. I'm like you Todd I don't see Western Md. kids jumping ship to play for a school downstate, not saying it wouldn't happen, I just don't think it would be very likely. Back to getting exposure, I would say and I've said it before, if FH actually scheduled some of those schools it would go along way in getting FH kids exposed and evaluated playing other d1 talent in a real game setting. Kids from Calvert Hall, Boy's Latin, Riverdale Baptist, Avalon, Pallotti all signed to play D1 ball some of them had multiple signings. And these aren't your traditional heavy weight schools like McDonogh, Dematha, Good Counsel. These are middle of the pack schools still getting kids recruited b/c they are playing other D1 talent in a geographical area that's going to get them exposure. I feel that's whats hurting this area is that its geographically segregated coupled with coaches that, in the past, segregated the program even further. If college coaches aren't going to come to you, then you have to be willing to go to where they are. I know I know, the objective is to win state titles and I agree but I think it still could be done by playing a schedule of 8 cream puffs and 2 power teams from the wcac or miaa instead of a schedule of all 10 cream puffs or going out your way to make a schedule of all 10 cream puffs. For a kid trying to get into college this type of scheduling does them a disservice. Finally, I honestly and sincerely hope that the "fear of getting a player poached" isn't going to be another excuse in a long list not to play these teams. But for some reason I'm getting the feeling that it is.

Last edited:
To play devils advocate I could see the potential good for the players who got recruited to an MIAA-A school. They would get a free Private School education and exposure on and off the field that they're not going to get up here in Western Maryland. Honestly, I would view it as an honor for other schools to take interest in players on my team. I'm like you Todd I don't see Western Md. kids jumping ship to play for a school downstate, not saying it wouldn't happen, I just don't think it would be very likely. Back to getting exposure, I would say and I've said it before, if FH actually scheduled some of those schools it would go along way in getting FH kids exposed and evaluated playing other d1 talent in a real game setting. Kids from Calvert Hall, Boy's Latin, Riverdale Baptist, Avalon, Pallotti all signed to play D1 ball some of them had multiple signings. And these aren't your traditional heavy weight schools like McDonogh, Dematha, Good Counsel. These are middle of the pack schools still getting kids recruited b/c they are playing other D1 talent in a geographical area that's going to get them exposure. I feel that's whats hurting this area is that its geographically segregated coupled with coaches that, in the past, segregated the program even further. If college coaches aren't going to come to you, then you have to be willing to go to where they are. I know I know, the objective is to win a state titles and I agree but I think it still could be done by playing a schedule of 8 cream puffs and 2 power teams from the wcac or miaa instead of a schedule of all 10 cream puffs or going out your way to make a schedule of all 10 cream puffs. For a kid trying to get into college this type of scheduling does them a disservice. Finally, I honestly and sincerely hope that the "fear of getting a player poached" isn't going to be another excuse in a long list not to play these teams. But for some reason I'm getting the feeling that it is.

Well, I have been digging into the MIAA and WCAC from McDonogh to Calvert Hall. I know you may not believe this but FH has inquired because getting 4 games creates a desperation to some degree. All of them are full or need an early September game due to league play so the dates FH needs are not there. I keep saying no one will play FH but have learned to rephrase it differently into no one can play FH. Like PA, if you are in a league the open spots are early September or nothing. There were plenty of options for a September 1 game. After that notta. FH is in a very rural area, not many schools nearby, and none of them will play FH. Between a rock and a hard place situation. I told a coach from an MIAA school yesterday after he was complaining about his schedule issues: FORT HILL NOW HAS 12 TEAMS IN THEIR 1A WEST REGION FOR 2017 FIGHTING FOR THE SAME PLAYOFF SPOTS. ONLY TWO OF THEM WILL PLAY FH AND THEY ARE IN ALLEGANY COUNTY AND REQUIRED TO DO SO. He said that has to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. It is.

As for the recruiting topic, private schools have always recruited. Bishop Walsh used to do it. But the difference I am seeing now is that it's become a national recruiting thing. We are seeing kids from Michigan and Texas attending schools in Baltimore and Tampa. It's become big business now. That part I just don't feel good about is seeing a 15 year old getting recruited from 800 miles away. As a weird example, one of the nation's top ranked DE Josh Kaindoh out of IMG Academy is from Maryland. He originally verbally committed to the Terps but switched and signed with Florida State. His mom didn't want him at FSU and kept saying publically he needs to be close to home and his family. But my question was...what in the world then is he doing attending IMG Academy in Tampa at 16 years old? Here is the really bad part...if you think money is not being exchanged to parents for these kids you are fooling yourself. There is no regulation at the high school level to investigate and punish the culprits like they do at the NCAA level. It's rampant and that is really bad stuff.

Last edited:
Well, I have been digging into the MIAA and WCAC from McDonogh to Calvert Hall. I know you may not believe this but FH has inquired because getting 4 games creates a desperation to some degree. All of them are full or need an early September game due to league play so the dates FH needs are not there. I keep saying no one will play FH but have learned to rephrase it differently into no one can play FH. Like PA, if you are in a league the open spots are early September or nothing. There were plenty of options for a September 1 game. After that notta. FH is in a very rural area, not many schools nearby, and none of them will play FH. Between a rock and a hard place situation. I told a coach from an MIAA school yesterday after he was complaining about his schedule issues: FORT HILL NOW HAS 12 TEAMS IN THEIR 1A WEST REGION FOR 2017 FIGHTING FOR THE SAME PLAYOFF SPOTS. ONLY TWO OF THEM WILL PLAY FH AND THEY ARE IN ALLEGANY COUNTY AND REQUIRED TO DO SO. He said that has to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. It is.

As for the recruiting topic, private schools have always recruited. Bishop Walsh used to do it. But the difference I am seeing now is that it's become a national recruiting thing. We are seeing kids from Michigan and Texas attending schools in Baltimore and Tampa. It's become big business now. That part I just don't feel good about is a 15 year old getting recruited from 800 miles away. As a weird example, one of the nation's top ranked DE Josh Kaindoh out of IMG Academy is from Maryland. He originally verbally committed to the Terps but switched and signed with Florida State. His mom didn't want him at FSU and kept saying publically he needs to be close to home and his family. But my question was...what in the world then is he doing attending IMG Academy in Tampa at 16 years old. I dunno.

I tend to believe you.. Having to fill 4 games does create a bit of desperation. Accepting Middletown's offer right away would have eased the burden... I'm very familiar with Josh Kaindoh situation. I follow Md recruiting very closely. I find myself checking the various recruiting sites several times a day. As a Maryland fan it was disappointing losing out to FSU. Jordan Anthony is another kid from Maryland that attended IMG. Maryland had a slight shot at but he ultimately chose Michigan I believe. This year the #1 tackle in the country is from Maryland playing at IMG Taron Vincent... If he didnt go to IMG I'm not sure he would be ranked the #1 tackle in the country. It could mean the difference between being recruited regionally or being recruited nationally and having any college you want to choose from. Could you imagine how good Maryland would be if they kept all their talent in state? Kaindoh, Anthony, Vincent, Chase Young, Tariq Castro Fields, Haskins and Keandre Jones from last year.
I think Durkin being one of the Nations best recruiters is and will make huge strides. As far as kids going to IMG they offer a level of national exposure, training, and education that schools in various communities just can't offer. I wouldn't hesitate to send my kid there of course i would have to make the move too.. But its just not football its done in every sport and facet of life. If you're a gymanist you go to Bela Karolyi. If you need medical care you go to Johns Hopkins.

Last edited:

As for the recruiting topic, private schools have always recruited. Bishop Walsh used to do it. But the difference I am seeing now is that it's become a national recruiting thing. We are seeing kids from Michigan and Texas attending schools in Baltimore and Tampa. It's become big business now. That part I just don't feel good about is seeing a 15 year old getting recruited from 800 miles away. As a weird example, one of the nation's top ranked DE Josh Kaindoh out of IMG Academy is from Maryland. He originally verbally committed to the Terps but switched and signed with Florida State. His mom didn't want him at FSU and kept saying publically he needs to be close to home and his family. But my question was...what in the world then is he doing attending IMG Academy in Tampa at 16 years old? Here is the really bad part...if you think money is not being exchanged to parents for these kids you are fooling yourself. There is no regulation at the high school level to investigate and punish the culprits like they do at the NCAA level. It's rampant and that is really bad stuff.
Is it true about FH picking up Canadian teams?

I don't understand why Wheeling Park won't play FH. They still need a game on Oct 13 according to Ed on TGC Forum and I know you said FH could travel. Makes no sense. A WV AAA team who won it all in 2015 with over 1500 students. Makes no sense.

Is it true about FH picking up Canadian teams?

I don't understand why Wheeling Park won't play FH. They still need a game on Oct 13 according to Ed on TGC Forum and I know you said FH could travel. Makes no sense. A WV AAA team who won it all in 2015 with over 1500 students. Makes no sense.

No Canadian teams at this time. Although Canadian teams playing American rules football while competing against other American schools has really caught on in the Great Blue North. We had one come down for the Quad last year. Most of them are a short drive away actually and based around the Ottawa areas. Canada Prep is one of the better teams and they travel the US playing the likes of McDonogh, Steubenville and North Hills. They recruit very hard and most of their players are actually American born. The problem is getting them sanctioned as many Canadian Teams have 5th year seniors that don't meet the MPSSAA age requirements. As we found out with Avalon a couple years back and got burned.

I see Allegany filled thier week 4 game with Williamsport. Thier schedule is now a complete 10 game schedule

Sadly, Williamsport would not play FH for all the money in the world.

Why would either team want to play each other? To have another massacre like the Brunswick game? How is beating a team 60-0 or getting beat 60-0 beneficial to either team?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT