Week 4 - Open
Week 5 - Silver Oak (H)
Week 6 - Boonsboro (H)
Week 7 - Keyser (A)
Week 8 - Northern (H)
Week 9 - Southern (H)
Week 10 - Fort Hill (A)
Look for a surprise opponent in week 4.

Fort Hill as far as I can figure based on 2016's schedule.

Week 1 - Open
Week 2 - Keyser (H)
Week 3 - Hollidaysburg (A)
Week 4 - Open
Week 5 - Open
Week 6 - Fairmont Heights (A)
Week 7 - Open
Week 8 - Open
Week 9 - Mtn. Ridge (A)
Week 10 - Allegany (H)

Silver Oak will most likely fill one of those open dates. Capitol Christian hopefully is gone.

Fort Hill as far as I can figure based on 2016's schedule.

Week 1 - Open
Week 2 - Keyser (H)
Week 3 - Hollidaysburg (A)
Week 4 - Open
Week 5 - Open
Week 6 - Fairmont Heights (A)
Week 7 - Open
Week 8 - Open
Week 9 - Mtn. Ridge (A)
Week 10 - Allegany (H)

Silver Oak will most likely fill one of those open dates. Capitol Christian hopefully is gone.

I think Todd said Fairmont Heights was for one year.

There are a large chunk of 4A teams that won 8 or 9 games last year that have the same open date as FH but declined to play FH. The top 3 reasons were:

1. Looking for a more suitable game
2. Not deep enough to compete that late in the season
3. High risk/low reward for playing a tough 1A team (although FH was worth more points than any other team they play)

I thought the FH reasons for not playing Martinsburg were more creative :)

Fairmont Heights a 2 year deal. FH goes there in 2017.

Alco's first 3 out of 4 games could make or break their season. Definite bump in schedule. Congrats to Coach Hansel for stepping up. Kids will love it as will the fans.

Last edited:
Todd, thank you for bringing up FH declining games from quality opponents. I have heard that we are declining games that could be a challenge at a ridiculous rate. I have been told we even turned down a few 1a and 2a offers, that FH fans have been fiending for in the regular season, the Dunbar Poets. What say you good sir?

Todd, thank you for bringing up FH declining games from quality opponents. I have heard that we are declining games that could be a challenge at a ridiculous rate. I have been told we even turned down a few 1a and 2a offers, that FH fans have been fiending for in the regular season, the Dunbar Poets. What say you good sir?

Just wait until the schedule is done before jumping to conclusions. Both Alco and FH kids about to get pushed hard by really good competition. And it's probably exactly what Boonsboro was hoping for.

Last edited:
I certainly hope they are going to see some new or tougher competition. I'm also hearing the chatter of FH turning down perfectly viable, competitive, MD schools in 1 and 2A. Yes..please prove the naysayers wrong. My fingers are crossed.

I updated the schedules. I help Todd (and people all over the state) schedule. I don't envy his job and if people knew the work involved I don't think they'd be as quick to criticize.

He's telling the truth about how hard it is to find FH games. You'd be amazed at the teams that won't play FH.

If you want to see better opponents, keep agitating for a 9-game season and 32-team playoffs. Carroll County is now on board with this idea so hopefully it keeps gaining traction.

EI, you are an unbiased party in this discussion so what you say carries significant weight with me. I am certain it is hard work finding games and I wouldn't want Todd's job either. I just find it amazing the double standard FH is held to, when according to the school across town we are still "the 2nd best program in Cumberland."

Reactions: sentinel-nurse
EI...just wondering if you have heard anything regarding Linganore's schedule? It looks like we are no longer playing South and I have heard that we are playing Kennedy, which I am still having a hard time wrapping my head around how that is beneficial for either program.

Southern week 1 @ Smithsburg, Week 3 Catoctin, Week 5 Tucker Co. WV, Week 6 @ Notre Dame Clarksburg WV, Week 7 Pendleton Co WV, Week 8 Clear Spring. Also TD, just asking here but rumor is Southern approached Fort Hill but it could not be worked out?

Southern week 1 @ Smithsburg, Week 3 Catoctin, Week 5 Tucker Co. WV, Week 6 @ Notre Dame Clarksburg WV, Week 7 Pendleton Co WV, Week 8 Clear Spring. Also TD, just asking here but rumor is Southern approached Fort Hill but it could not be worked out?
I hear Fort Hill wouldn't play because Southern wouldn't sign a 10 year deal.

I figured that South Hagerstown was going to lighten their schedule for the playoffs. You would think that with the reclassification of some 3A West powers to 2A SHHS would have kept the schedule more competitive but this lightening up by them is not surprising.

I hear Fort Hill wouldn't play because Southern wouldn't sign a 10 year deal.

If that's true it seems like FH is always burning their bridges or cutting their nose off to spite their face... That's If its true but I don't see FH turning down an area team over not signing a 10 yr. contract after all the whinning they do about not getting area teams to play them... In the spirit of competitiveness lets thank God Southern turned the ultimatum down.. Could you imagine 10 yrs of those games? Might as well sign up a pee wee team but I digress... On the other hand I've heard stranger things like not playing certain teams unless that team could get its neighbors to play... So who knows if FH made that stipulation or not?

Last edited:
I figured that South Hagerstown was going to lighten their schedule for the playoffs. You would think that with the reclassification of some 3A West powers to 2A SHHS would have kept the schedule more competitive but this lightening up by them is not surprising.

Not surprising to me either. The Frederick County schools are still going to beat up on each other and the Moco contenders in the region, Blake and Watkins Mill, will still have to deal with Damascus and Seneca Valley (and each other) during the regular season. They are trying to ensure themselves a playoff spot, which frankly, is the goal so I can't really blame them. They still have a couple tough ones with Westminster, Tuscarora and Jefferson so it wont be a lock by any means.

Last edited:
I highly doubt that FH a) formally made such request or b) that Southern would turn that down if they did. I would imagine (if Southern approached FH) it went something like this:

S - "Hey FH, we have an opening at such and such week, wanna play?"
FH - "We'd love to play, but we have a commitment for that week. How about such and such week?"
S - "Cant do it. Are you sure there's nothing you could do to move your schedule around?"
FH - "Tell ya what, you already dropped us once, so if we are going to work our schedule around to help you out, we need a commitment from you that you aren't going to drop us again in 2 years."
S - "Sorry, cant do that."

Reactions: Waggle Pass
Che
I highly doubt that FH a) formally made such request or b) that Southern would turn that down if they did. I would imagine (if Southern approached FH) it went something like this:

FH - "We'd love to play, but we have a commitment for that week. How about such and such week?"
S - "Cant do it. Are you sure there's nothing you could do to move your schedule around?"
FH - "Tell ya what, you already dropped us once, so if we are going to work our schedule around to help you out, we need a commitment from you that you aren't going to drop us again in 2 years."

Check with your head coach and see what he will tell you about it.

Reactions: BoyznBlue
I could probably ask the Alco coaches. They seem to be the ones proliferating these rumors.

I'm hearing that Southern inquired. FH asked for a 4-6 year deal. Southern balked, talked it over and then said it might be doable. FH was into playoff run and tried to wait until season was over while also working on a possible deal with Sherando for that week and so Southern found someone else. I don't think either school is at blame for not getting it done.

l also hear that after 2018 season Southern is in real trouble again and will go back to just trying to stay alive so maybe that's why FH asked for more than 2 year deal. Southern didn't seem to mind this. So if FH truly wanted the game make it happen when they agree. Personally I would have rather seen FH continue to play Sherando.

Last edited:
I was hoping FH could have landed Harve de Grace for week one! That could have been a great 2 year series.

Che

Check with your head coach and see what he will tell you about it.

I did. There is a reason Northern, Southern, Chestnut Ridge all play Alco but not Fort Hill and it has nothing to do with personalities. Let's just say if having a chance to compete is the fuse, getting a running clock put on your kids by Fort Hill is the bomb. Fort Hill football is just on a whole other level, or even 2 or 3 levels, in this city and this area.

Last edited:
According to my sources....

Sherando High School offered Fort Hill - 7 different dates and another 2 year home and home. They were declined.

According to my sources....

Sherando High School offered Fort Hill - 7 different dates and another 2 year home and home. They were declined.

Sherando just had more teams added to their league they are now required to play. That's why they could not keep FH week 8. Who said Sherando had 7 holes open? LOL.

Maryland teams that play WV teams,
What I have so far

9/1
Hedgesville at South Hagerstown
John Marshall at Mt Ridge

9/8
Mt Ridge at Hedgesville
Francis Scott Key at Berkeley Springs
Keyser at Fort Hill
Moorefield at South Garrett
North Garrett at Tucker

9/15

9/22
Hampshire at Mt Ridge
South Hagerstown at Spring Mills
Frankfort at North Garrett
East Hardy at South Garrett

9/23
Green Street Academy at Berkeley Springs

9/29
Boonsboro at Spring Mills
Mt Ridge at Frankfort
Tucker at South Garrett

10/6
Brunswick at Berkeley Springs
North Garrett at Moorefield
South Garrett at Notre Dame

10/13
Clear Springs at Berkeley Springs
Allegany at Keyser
Pendleton at South Garrett

10/20
Spring Mills at Mt Ridge

10/27
Jefferson at South Hagerstown
Spring Mills at North Hagerstown

11/3
Hancock at Berkeley Springs
Mt Ridge at Keyser

EI...just wondering if you have heard anything regarding Linganore's schedule? It looks like we are no longer playing South and I have heard that we are playing Kennedy, which I am still having a hard time wrapping my head around how that is beneficial for either program.

Seems like they are definitely playing Kennedy for some reason, at least that's what I'm hearing from MoCo. Other than that, I haven't heard much from Linganore. I usually piece their schedule together from their opponent's schedules before they post it themselves.

Maryland teams that play WV teams,
What I have so far

9/1
Hedgesville at South Hagerstown
John Marshall at Mt Ridge

9/8
Mt Ridge at Hedgesville
Francis Scott Key at Berkeley Springs
Keyser at Fort Hill
Moorefield at South Garrett
North Garrett at Tucker

9/15

9/22
Hampshire at Mt Ridge
South Hagerstown at Spring Mills
Frankfort at North Garrett
East Hardy at South Garrett

9/23
Green Street Academy at Berkeley Springs

9/29
Boonsboro at Spring Mills
Mt Ridge at Frankfort
Tucker at South Garrett

10/6
Brunswick at Berkeley Springs
North Garrett at Moorefield
South Garrett at Notre Dame

10/13
Clear Springs at Berkeley Springs
Allegany at Keyser
Pendleton at South Garrett

10/20
Spring Mills at Mt Ridge

10/27
Jefferson at South Hagerstown
Spring Mills at North Hagerstown

11/3
Hancock at Berkeley Springs
Mt Ridge at Keyser

Thanks Ed! Let me know when/if you need help finding some of the schedules for MD teams that play WV teams

Another note of scheduling...the MPSSAA in all its infinite wisdom has decided to be very different than everyone else around us. The MPSSAA first fall play date is September 1. However, the first play date for PA, WV, VA and DC is August 26 as is with all private schools...a week ahead. What that does is create difficulty for Maryland schools that depends on its neighbors to schedule games.

Examples: MPSSAA schools can only scrimmage MPSSAA schools. The Maryland second scrimmage date is August 26, every other state has a real game that week. Our first scrimmage date is August 19, but the surrounding states want a scrimmage on August 17 (Wed or Thur) since they have a real game the next week. As an example, getting teams for the Queen City Quad has proven brutal because of this. No coach wants to put his kids through a tough scrimmage on Saturday when they have a game the following Friday.

Second, it's tough for MPSSAA schools to play someone else Week 1 when the other team already has a game under their belt plus an extra week or more of practice. Not saying you can't do it but MPSSAA coaches don't like it as expected.

Thank you again MPSSAA for being different than everyone else around us (sarc). :(

You guys act like fort hill is something special, yes in Maryland 1A and 2A your team is the best , and have a lot to be proud of. , but you guys caught Sherando in a transitional period that is the facts. fort Hill has a lot to be proud of in there division in Maryland where there is no playoff competition. It's a lot different in Virginia when you have to ( as a program ) every other year deal with a new school taking your talent , well you guys get it , it's different down here .

You guys act like fort hill is something special, yes in Maryland 1A and 2A your team is the best , and have a lot to be proud of. , but you guys caught Sherando in a transitional period that is the facts. fort Hill has a lot to be proud of in there division in Maryland where there is no playoff competition. It's a lot different in Virginia when you have to ( as a program ) every other year deal with a new school taking your talent , well you guys get it , it's different down here .

Hamspear sighting! It took longer than I thought for the excuses to come out as to why Sherando, with their superior size and talent, got curb stomped by little ole FH.. I guess the delay for excuses was due to the fact that Hamspear has been on suicide watch since October...:D

Hamspear, I'm sure that if Sherando thought that they could even the score with Fort Hill they would be jumping at the chance to schedule them again. That's not happening, why? Two years ago, you beat Martinsburg, and last year you played them close, You boasted D1 kids, and exceptional QBs. Now we are to believe that Sherando has been down.

You have a great venue down there, and I'd love to go back. With all due respect, I'm thinking that maybe it may be that it's Sherando that's over rated on this board.

This is Hamspear just came on here because someone told me I had posted , I did not post that post last night on this sight, and I am being serious. I was hacked. I wasn't even up at 1130 pm last night. I could care less about what is up with fort hill , best of luck this season.

What about 2015 when Sherando won 9 games? Was that a transitional year too?

Sorry to hear that Hamspear. In thinking about that post, it really doesn't sound like you. Anyway, I'd still like to make that trip for another FH/Sherando matchup.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT