ADVERTISEMENT

Open dates

WV is adding a new classification next year(probably). I believe Fort Hill would fall in the 3A range(currently fall in the 2A). Along with the SoS points added this year, might make it more appealing for WV programs to schedule the sentinels as the bonus point yield from either winning or losing will increase.

Reactions: Dwj21 and Tony54
I have read numerous WV stories on the new SOS point factors. What is ironic about it was the fact the move was made to alleviate all the WV schools padding their schedules with cupcakes out of complete fear of missing the playoffs and seeding for playoffs. It's gotten real bad.

Although in defense of WV, one would have thought MD would have alleviated the same padding of schedules philosophy when everyone makes the playoffs. Nope! It's actually gotten worse.

I would have been 11 years old that day and can still picture Roy Manges standing at the top of the 52 steps waving his big FH flag supporting his son.

Reactions: PowerRamRight
I would have been 11 years old that day and can still picture Roy Manges standing at the top of the 52 steps waving his big FH flag supporting his son.
I was about to say nearly the same thing. He was my VFW Patriot coach. What a day that was for sure.

You may remember Pittsburgh city school Westinghouse cancelling a game with Fort Hill because of too many injured players a few years ago. Well since then a alumni of the school has taken over and turned the program around. They are 37-3 over the last three years and will be playing in their third consecutive Class 2A final in Pa on Friday. As a comparison they beat Hollidaysburg by a similar score as Fort Hill did this season. I think it would be an interesting matchup if open dates align.

Dunbar, Bridgeport, Riverheads,

I know there’s probably no chance of this happening, but Oakdale, walkersville, Middletown.

Especially with all the crying about crowd size... Want to see a huge crowd? Schedule a Saturday night game with the dawgs at the stadium week 7 or 8... Both teams going into that week undefeated,,,
This will be a huge money maker.. Not only everyone who has interest with Martinsburg, FH, sports fans, etc it will draw all the FH haters hoping to see them lose. A lot of extra stadium pizza would be needed.

Someone write the Oakdale AD and Coach.
Subject: You're yella
Signed: The Allegany County monkey still on your back

You may remember Pittsburgh city school Westinghouse cancelling a game with Fort Hill because of too many injured players a few years ago. Well since then a alumni of the school has taken over and turned the program around. They are 37-3 over the last three years and will be playing in their third consecutive Class 2A final in Pa on Friday. As a comparison they beat Hollidaysburg by a similar score as Fort Hill did this season. I think it would be an interesting matchup if open dates align.
Stomach punch loss for Westinghouse in the final today. Up 20-14 with under two minutes to go and they had Southern Columbia facing 4th and 18, they get a sack but there's a defensive holding penalty. Southern Columbia converts the ensuing 4th and 8, then goes on to score and win 21-20. Seventh straight championship for Southern Columbia.

Stomach punch loss for Westinghouse in the final today. Up 20-14 with under two minutes to go and they had Southern Columbia facing 4th and 18, they get a sack but there's a defensive holding penalty. Southern Columbia converts the ensuing 4th and 8, then goes on to score and win 21-20. Seventh straight championship for Southern Columbia.

Southern Columbia is the Fort Hill of Pa. small school football.

I saw video of the penalty. I would have thrown the flag, but I've also seen similar not called.

Southern Columbia is the Fort Hill of Pa. small school football.
Southern Columbia has 283 students grades 9-11. That would make them smaller than Northern Garrett and the 4th smallest football program in Maryland, only bigger than Snow Hill, SEED School and Hancock.

Fort Hill by comparison has 550 students grades 9-11, making them nearly twice the size of Southern Columbia.

When I hear discussions about the consolidation of Cumberland schools based on sheer school size I laugh. Allegany and Fort Hill are big schools in both PA and WV. But if you want to continue to compare enrollment size to Washington DC suburbs and Baltimore, well you have lost perspective. Both Alco and FH are Class 4A in PA where they have 6 classifications.

• Love
Reactions: Dwj21
Salem Va. would get a tremendous amount of hype, A long ways away, but always in the finals. They get an awful lot of respect in Virginia

Salem Va. would get a tremendous amount of hype, A long ways away, but always in the finals. They get an awful lot of respect in Virginia

Speaking of gut punches.....

Class 4: Phoebus 20 Salem 14--Phoebus won with an 86-yard pass from Maurikus Banks to Keyontae Gray with one second left on the clock. Salem had tied the game with a touchdown and two-point conversion with 57 seconds remaining.

Taking nothing away from Salem but Martinsburg crushed them every year they played. Although it would probably be a good game, I just don't see a game with Salem generating a large crowd. Travel distance is too far away for a large contingent to travel. If you want large crowds with alot of hype you have to schedule semi local teams with historically good programs, with good followings, on a Saturday night. Teams like Damascus, Linganore, Martinsburg, Bridgeport, Fairmont Senior, Quince Orchard, (maybe Wise??) FH is in a situation where they're a 1a school that plays 3a and 4a ball.

Reactions: Dwj21 and Tony54
Taking nothing away from Salem but Martinsburg crushed them every year they played. Although it would probably be a good game, I just don't see a game with Salem generating a large crowd. Travel distance is too far away for a large contingent to travel. If you want large crowds with alot of hype you have to schedule semi local teams with historically good programs, with good followings, on a Saturday night. Teams like Damascus, Linganore, Martinsburg, Bridgeport, Fairmont Senior, Quince Orchard, (maybe Wise??) FH is in a situation where they're a 1a school that plays 3a and 4a ball.
I think that’s very true. It would give Fort Hill a lot of respect in Va. I also believe Fort Hill wins that game almost every year. I think of Salem along the lines of Oakdale in quality.

Reactions: bigsavage
I watched that game too. It was a great one and a horrible way to lose.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT