ADVERTISEMENT

1A West/Local Schools 2019 Football Schedules (Updated 8/29/19)

I love how everyone thinks that Team A is afraid to schedule someone or that Team B's coach is an idiot. Pretty sure Hansel is not an idiot and pretty sure FH was not afraid to play Lackey. Maybe Hansel scheduled the game to get a good measuring point of where his team needs to go. Nothing wrong if they loose that first game. Maybe FH didn't play said team because in wasn't in the cards when the schedule was made. I am sure both schools have teams they won't play. As someone said FH must be doing something right. Let the schedules go, the teams will play who they seen fit for their team. Pretty sure neither team cares what people on a message board in Western Maryland think.

Nice post. I do think that Hansel schedules tougher earlier to motivate his team into shape, notwithstanding the fact that each year he must go through a team across town that gets the voluminous talent and depth. I would think that he is smart enough to know that his chances of a championship are nil under the circumstances and - if anything - he is looking at the situation as a high school sport.

Would Hansel like to go deep into the playoffs? I am sure he would if it worked out that way. But he seems like a coach who handles things well as exemplified by his lack of a media meltdown over having players - two years in a row - booted from Homecoming.

Furthermore, Hansel wouldn't send out an assistant to impersonate him at a championship halftime interview - as apparently happened this year.

Nice post. I do think that Hansel schedules tougher earlier to motivate his team into shape, notwithstanding the fact that each year he must go through a team across town that gets the voluminous talent and depth. I would think that he is smart enough to know that his chances of a championship are nil under the circumstances and - if anything - he is looking at the situation as a high school sport.

Would Hansel like to go deep into the playoffs? I am sure he would if it worked out that way. But he seems like a coach who handles things well as exemplified by his lack of a media meltdown over having players - two years in a row - booted from Homecoming.

Furthermore, Hansel wouldn't send out an assistant to impersonate him at a championship halftime interview - as apparently happened this year.

Seriously, Lags...

Do you know why Coach Shook spoke at halftime this year, and why Coach McKinney spoke to the media during the state championship game last year?

It was simply because Coach Appel was not coaching on the field. He is always above the field with Coach Palumbo calling plays via radio to the sidelines during the entire game. It's a practice he has done for several years, regardless of whether games are played at Greenway, Southern, M&T Stadium, Naval Academy Stadium, etc.

Bottom line: It's rather difficult to get to down to the field for a halftime interview when you're high above the field. :)

Also, you are consistently saying FHHS gets the best talent from throughout Cumberland. Well, as has been mentioned to you multiple times in the past, the stalwart for AHS during the 2017 season lives in south Cumberland.

Please just accept that FHHS has a 1A "program" that is second-to-none in the state of MD at this time.

End of story.

Seriously, Lags...

Do you know why Coach Shook spoke at halftime this year, and why Coach McKinney spoke to the media during the state championship game last year?

It was simply because Coach Appel was not coaching on the field. He is always above the field with Coach Palumbo calling plays via radio to the sidelines during the entire game. It's a practice he has done for several years, regardless of whether games are played at Greenway, Southern, M&T Stadium, Naval Academy Stadium, etc.

Bottom line: It's rather difficult to get to down to the field for a halftime interview when you're high above the field. :)

Also, you are consistently saying FHHS gets the best talent from throughout Cumberland. Well, as has been mentioned to you multiple times in the past, the stalwart for AHS during the 2017 season lives in south Cumberland.

Please just accept that FHHS has a 1A "program" that is second-to-none in the state of MD at this time.

End of story.

Seriously, Lags...
Rarely serious, but usually accurate.

He was introduced by the media as Coach Appel. Not even during the interview or afterward did they correct it. That was the source of my humor at 'impersonation' - I personally could not care less.

Well, as has been mentioned to you multiple times in the past, the stalwart for AHS during the 2017 season lives in south Cumberland.
I love it when this is brought up because it doesn't disprove my points. It proves them. Kids go to whatever school they want to play football. To disprove my points: disprove the fact that FH is getting most of the kids that play football and disprove the fact that they are getting most of the talent. Fact is, the only way you could disprove my points is to make about half the kids who play football at FH disappear.

End of story.
Not in this forum on any subject.

Last edited:
These schedules are complete; looks like a date change on the Alco-Smithsburg game and Spring Mills is off the Williamsport schedule.

Brunswick
Week 1 6-Sep Northern Garrett
Week 2 13-Sep at Clear Spring
Week 3 20-Sep Boonsboro
Week 4 27-Sep at Frederick
Week 5 4-Oct at Thomas Johnson
Week 6 11-Oct at Berkeley Springs (WV)
Week 7 18-Oct Smithsburg
Week 8 25-Oct Middletown
Week 9 1-Nov Catoctin

Clear Spring
Week 1 6-Sep at Capitol Christian
Week 2 13-Sep Brunswick
Week 3 20-Sep Northern Garrett
Week 4 27-Sep James Buchanan (PA)
Week 5 4-Oct Hancock
Week 6 11-Oct at Smithsburg
Week 7 18-Oct at Saint John's Catholic Prep
Week 8 25-Oct at Southern Garrett
Week 9 1-Nov at Berkeley Springs (WV)

Smithsburg
Week 1 6-Sep Southern Garrett
Week 2 13-Sep at Williamsport
Week 3 20-Sep Hancock
Week 4 27-Sep at Catoctin
Week 5 4-Oct at Allegany
Week 6 11-Oct Clear Spring
Week 7 18-Oct at Brunswick
Week 8 25-Oct Francis Scott Key
Week 9 1-Nov Boonsboro

Williamsport
Week 1 6-Sep Manchester Valley
Week 2 13-Sep Smithsburg
Week 3 20-Sep Saint James
Week 4 27-Sep at Hancock
Week 5 4-Oct at Boonsboro
Week 6 11-Oct North Hagerstown
Week 7 18-Oct at Catoctin
Week 8 25-Oct Mountain Ridge
Week 9 1-Nov at South Hagerstown

These schedules are complete; looks like a date change on the Alco-Smithsburg game and Spring Mills is off the Williamsport schedule.

Brunswick
Week 1 6-Sep Northern Garrett
Week 2 13-Sep at Clear Spring
Week 3 20-Sep Boonsboro
Week 4 27-Sep at Frederick
Week 5 4-Oct at Thomas Johnson
Week 6 11-Oct at Berkeley Springs (WV)
Week 7 18-Oct Smithsburg
Week 8 25-Oct Middletown
Week 9 1-Nov Catoctin

Clear Spring
Week 1 6-Sep at Capitol Christian
Week 2 13-Sep Brunswick
Week 3 20-Sep Northern Garrett
Week 4 27-Sep James Buchanan (PA)
Week 5 4-Oct Hancock
Week 6 11-Oct at Smithsburg
Week 7 18-Oct at Saint John's Catholic Prep
Week 8 25-Oct at Southern Garrett
Week 9 1-Nov at Berkeley Springs (WV)

Smithsburg
Week 1 6-Sep Southern Garrett
Week 2 13-Sep at Williamsport
Week 3 20-Sep Hancock
Week 4 27-Sep at Catoctin
Week 5 4-Oct at Allegany
Week 6 11-Oct Clear Spring
Week 7 18-Oct at Brunswick
Week 8 25-Oct Francis Scott Key
Week 9 1-Nov Boonsboro

Williamsport
Week 1 6-Sep Manchester Valley
Week 2 13-Sep Smithsburg
Week 3 20-Sep Saint James
Week 4 27-Sep at Hancock
Week 5 4-Oct at Boonsboro
Week 6 11-Oct North Hagerstown
Week 7 18-Oct at Catoctin
Week 8 25-Oct Mountain Ridge
Week 9 1-Nov at South Hagerstown
You dont happen to have a complete Catoctin or Boonsboro schedule do you?

You dont happen to have a complete Catoctin or Boonsboro schedule do you?

This is all I have for them so far:

Boonsboro
Week 1 6-Sep at Mountain Ridge
Week 2 13-Sep
Week 3 20-Sep at Brunswick
Week 4 27-Sep Middletown
Week 5 4-Oct Williamsport
Week 6 11-Oct at Allegany
Week 7 18-Oct
Week 8 25-Oct
Week 9 1-Nov at Smithsburg

Catoctin
Week 1 6-Sep
Week 2 13-Sep at Mountain Ridge
Week 3 20-Sep Frederick
Week 4 27-Sep Smithsburg
Week 5 4-Oct
Week 6 11-Oct at Walkersville
Week 7 18-Oct Williamsport
Week 8 25-Oct
Week 9 1-Nov at Brunswick

And what I have for Northern/Southern

Northern Garrett
Week 1 6-Sep at Brunswick
Week 2 13-Sep at Tucker County (WV)
Week 3 20-Sep at Clear Spring
Week 4 27-Sep Frankfort (WV)
Week 5 4-Oct
Week 6 11-Oct at Moorefield (WV)
Week 7 18-Oct at Mountain Ridge
Week 8 25-Oct Allegany
Week 9 1-Nov Southern Garrett

Southern Garrett
Week 1 6-Sep at Smithsburg
Week 2 13-Sep Moorefield (WV)
Week 3 20-Sep
Week 4 27-Sep Pendleton County (WV)
Week 5 4-Oct at Fort Hill
Week 6 11-Oct
Week 7 18-Oct Tucker County (WV)
Week 8 25-Oct Clear Spring
Week 9 1-Nov Northern Garrett

Rumors are that FH has picked up an Eastern Shore team for next season.

Eastern Shore teams all still have 10-game schedules up for 2019 and none of them are playing Fort Hill according to those schedules.

There's a possibility they recently totally redid the schedules and that created some openings though.

You can add Silver Oak at Fort Hill on 10/25.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
Eastern Shore teams all still have 10-game schedules up for 2019 and none of them are playing Fort Hill according to those schedules.

There's a possibility they recently totally redid the schedules and that created some openings though.

You can add Silver Oak at Fort Hill on 10/25.
Is that game going to be at Greenway or in Frederick?

Anyone have any ideas on who Allegany is playing in Week #2. Previous post had them playing Smithsburg. More recent post had Smithsburg playing Williamsport that week? Any ideas?

Also, I have heard that Mountain Ridge and Fort Hill agreed to move their annual game to Week One but other schedules have Mountain Ridge and Boonsboro playing that week. Anyone 100% sure that MR and FH have moved the game?

Anyone heard who Southern Garrett is playing MD week #6? They have an active open date on MPSSAA site for MD week 3 but not week 6.

You have any ideas on what Fort Hill's schedule looks like? They only have one open date listed on MPSSAA site as of today?
I'm pretty sure we'll see Morgantown and Hollidaysburg on the schedule again. Along with Silver Oak, Mountain Ridge, Southern and Allegany

Anyone have any ideas on who Allegany is playing in Week #2. Previous post had them playing Smithsburg. More recent post had Smithsburg playing Williamsport that week? Any ideas?

Also, I have heard that Mountain Ridge and Fort Hill agreed to move their annual game to Week One but other schedules have Mountain Ridge and Boonsboro playing that week. Anyone 100% sure that MR and FH have moved the game?

Anyone heard who Southern Garrett is playing MD week #6? They have an active open date on MPSSAA site for MD week 3 but not week 6.

Allegany at Silver Oak on 10/11 per Silver Oak schedule.

I have Boonsboro at Allegany on 9/13 but I can't find where I found that one.

MD School for the Deaf at Hancock on 10/11 to fill another schedule gap.

Allegany at Silver Oak on 10/11 per Silver Oak schedule.

I have Boonsboro at Allegany on 9/13 but I can't find where I found that one.

MD School for the Deaf at Hancock on 10/11 to fill another schedule gap.
I had Boonsboro and Alco on 9/13 based upon a report I got from Alco guy early on. I changed it to 10/11 based upon what you gave me last week on Boonsboro schedule. If Alco plays Silver Oak on 10/11 than the 9/13 date with Boonsboro makes sense. That would complete the Alco schedule.

I had Boonsboro and Alco on 9/13 based upon a report I got from Alco guy early on. I changed it to 10/11 based upon what you gave me last week on Boonsboro schedule. If Alco plays Silver Oak on 10/11 than the 9/13 date with Boonsboro makes sense. That would complete the Alco schedule.

Probably crossed signals on my end. I think your 9/13 date is correct.

Probably crossed signals on my end. I think your 9/13 date is correct.
Hey, no worries, with the way this year has gone for schedules... it is possible at some point it may have been on 10/11.

Interesting that Boonsboro opens with Mountain Ridge and Alco.

If Boonsboro opens with Mt.Ridge, then there goes the rumored FH-Mt.Ridge opener.
The schedule I got from the AD at The Ridge had Boonsboro listed as their opener. But that was before the playoff format change gained momentum. I know they want Fort Hill on the schedule. I'd assume that the rumors might be true if the playoff format change gets approved this year. I'm not sure the agreement that Boonsboro/MR had in place for their game. Keyser, Frankfort and Hampshire have already helped MR with moving the Keyser/MR game to MD Week 9. When I asked for some clarification on the schedule a few weeks ago the AD said everything is on hold till April. I'd assume they would have a Plan A and Plan B approach at this point.

We'll have to wait and see when the official FH schedule is released, but I've been told by people in the Mountain Ridge program that Fort Hill is their opener
Yeah, I have heard the same thing. FH isnt looking for a game Week 1 any longer either. I'm waiting till I have official word as far as changing it on here though.

Yeah, I have heard the same thing. FH isnt looking for a game Week 1 any longer either. I'm waiting till I have official word as far as changing it on here though.
Reasonably so. With the schedule change nobody really knows for certain what exactly is going on

Reactions: beall02
I will say it's good to see Mountain Ridge playing a more local schedule versus running in that West Virginia circuit like they have been for the past 4+ years

I will say it's good to see Mountain Ridge playing a more local schedule versus running in that West Virginia circuit like they have been for the past 4+ years
The schedule starting this year is more reflective of the kind of schedule Mountain Ridge would like to play. When Mountain Ridge got bumped up to 2A the schedule they had to make some adjustments to the schedule. The one they played in the first two years wasn't going to get them in the playoffs. They would of had to go 10-0 to get in the playoffs in the 2A West with a mostly 1A schedule. Now that they are back in 1A you can see them adjust the schedule accordingly. It is nice that the Washington, Frederick and Carroll County 1A teams have decided to play the Allegany and Garrett County 1A teams again. It helps with the schedule for both. Especially now that the MVAL is gone. They have a lot more openings to fill then they did in the past. I never liked the 70% WV schedule. But it is what was needed at the time in order to get in the playoffs at 2A level. Obviously something they never accomplished.

The schedule starting this year is more reflective of the kind of schedule Mountain Ridge would like to play. When Mountain Ridge got bumped up to 2A the schedule they had to make some adjustments to the schedule. The one they played in the first two years wasn't going to get them in the playoffs. They would of had to go 10-0 to get in the playoffs in the 2A West with a mostly 1A schedule. Now that they are back in 1A you can see them adjust the schedule accordingly. It is nice that the Washington, Frederick and Carroll County 1A teams have decided to play the Allegany and Garrett County 1A teams again. It helps with the schedule for both. Especially now that the MVAL is gone. They have a lot more openings to fill then they did in the past. I never liked the 70% WV schedule. But it is what was needed at the time in order to get in the playoffs at 2A level. Obviously something they never accomplished.
It's always refreshing to see regional teams wanting to play each other instead of ducking one another for playoff purposes

It looks like Southern may have filled their empty slot week 3 with Gwynn Park from PG county. They are a 2A school located on the outskirts of D.C.

It looks like Southern may have filled their empty slot week 3 with Gwynn Park from PG county. They are a 2A school located on the outskirts of D.C.
Do you know if this is at home or away? I know they were willing to do either?

Gwynn Park is currently a 2A school but they are moving to 1A next fall. They usually have a good squad. If they are playing at GP it's going to be a tough game, but I respect Southern for scheduling a quality opponent and not running around making excuses and ducking competition.

With Douglass moving to 2A, 1A is going from bad to worse, GP may be the only school with an outside chance of challenging FH and Dunbar for the title.

Boonsboro and Catoctin are playing on 9/6, which means Fort Hill and Mountain Ridge are probably playing on 9/6 as well.

Good for all involved as the Catoctin-Boonsboro rivalry wouldn't have been played this year otherwise.

Full Catoctin schedule:

Catoctin
Week 1 6-Sep at Boonsboro
Week 2 13-Sep at Mountain Ridge
Week 3 20-Sep Frederick
Week 4 27-Sep Smithsburg
Week 5 4-Oct Southern Garrett
Week 6 11-Oct at Walkersville
Week 7 18-Oct Williamsport
Week 8 25-Oct at Thomas Johnson
Week 9 1-Nov at Brunswick

ADVERTISEMENT