ADVERTISEMENT

1A State Championship Predictions

camper21502

Blue Chip Poster
Sep 21, 2012
FH 35 Dunbar 30

It should be an exciting game to watch.. I think FH will play Sentinel football and it will be enough to get the job done.. I just hope they pass the ball early if needed. Don't wait until they expect it...

It'll be tight, could go either way. All depends on how well FH handles the ball.

FH 35 Dunbar 30

It should be an exciting game to watch.. I think FH will play Sentinel football and it will be enough to get the job done.. I just hope they pass the ball early if needed. Don't wait until they expect it...
Dunbar has average almost 40 points a game this year (EVEN IN LOST TO ALCO). ALCO played a perfect game to beat Dunbar. No one is talking about can Fort Hill slow down Dunbar. When I remember the Melbourne game the turning point was Melbourne up 2 scores in the 4th and threw the costly INT. I don't think this game comes to Dunbar stopping Fort Hill. It comes down to if Fort Hill can slow down Dunbar's offense and turnovers.

Last edited:
Reactions: cumbfanatic
Stand on your head, yo!!! Sentinels need to step it up

Last edited:
Dunbar has average almost 40 points a game this year (EVEN IN LOST TO ALCO). ALCO played a perfect game to beat Dunbar. No one is talking about can Fort Hill slow down Dunbar. When I remember the Melbourne game the turning point was Melbourne up 2 scores in the 4th and threw the costly INT. I don't think this game comes to Dunbar stopping Fort Hill. It comes down to if Fort Hill can slow down Dunbar's offense. No one has done the entire season
Alco played a perfect game to beat dunbar? Far from it. Dunbar couldn't stop alco and alco couldn't stop dunbar. The defense in that game was atrocious. Do you honestly realize how good melbourne was? The talent melbourne had was off the charts. Fh is lucky they didn't lose by 4+ scores. Fh beat melbourne on pure will. Dunbar is not even close to melbourne. That's the thing with fh, they do the unthinkable, just when you think it can be done, they find a way, year after year they continue to win games that they have no business being in. Fh defense will slow down dunbar, IMO dunbar has not played a team of fh caliber this year. I have no doubt the sentinels will be ready to go. The only thing going to slow down fh offense is possibly the play calling but that being said for the most part the play calling as been there in the finals the last 4 years, and if we are being honest with ourselves, the best team won it the last 4 years. My prediction fh 39- dunbar 22

Last edited:
Alco played a perfect game to beat dunbar? Far from it. Dunbar couldn't stop alco and alco couldn't stop dunbar. The defense in that game was atrocious. Do you honestly realize how good melbourne was? The talent melbourne had was off the charts. Fh is lucky they didn't lose by 4+ scores. Fh beat melbourne on pure will. Dunbar is not even close to melbourne. That's the thing with fh, they do the unthinkable, just when you think it can be done, they find a way, year after year they continue to win games that they have no business being in. Fh defense will slow down dunbar, IMO dunbar has not played a team of fh caliber this year. I have no doubt the sentinels will be ready to go. The only thing going to slow down fh offense is possibly the play calling but that being said for the most part the play calling as been there in the finals the last 4 years, and if we are being honest with ourselves, the best team won it the last 4 years. My prediction fh 35- dunbar 18
I thought it, you said it. Lol

Alco played a perfect game to beat dunbar? Far from it. Dunbar couldn't stop alco and alco couldn't stop dunbar. The defense in that game was atrocious. Do you honestly realize how good melbourne was? The talent melbourne had was off the charts. Fh is lucky they didn't lose by 4+ scores. Fh beat melbourne on pure will. Dunbar is not even close to melbourne. That's the thing with fh, they do the unthinkable, just when you think it can be done, they find a way, year after year they continue to win games that they have no business being in. Fh defense will slow down dunbar, IMO dunbar has not played a team of fh caliber this year. I have no doubt the sentinels will be ready to go. The only thing going to slow down fh offense is possibly the play calling but that being said for the most part the play calling as been there in the finals the last 4 years, and if we are being honest with ourselves, the best team won it the last 4 years. My prediction fh 35- dunbar 18
What makes Melbourne so great cause they from Florida? You have no idea what you even talking about by all your posts. You keep saying Fort Hill play calling obviously it works cause it wins! Understand NO TEAM is going to stop the wing t cause its something you don't see everyday. Its like watching Georgia Tech or Navy you can only try to slow it down. Fort Hill might run 4 plays but they run them to perfection and that's all that matters. In the ALCO Dunbar game that was a 1st game neither could prepare totally for. ALCO against a high powered spread team with a D1 QB and Dunbar against a veteran wing T team with a grown man running the ball. The Fort Hill - Dunbar game will come down to who don't turn the ball over period. Understand this is also a rivalry game. Both Head Coaches know and respect each other. They actually are friends. This game will be about execute the best.

Reactions: BoyznBlue
Wow. That is funny. I guarantee you are a woman by this post, and I don't talk to woman about fb. Have a nice day.

Nobody is saying FH doesn’t have a tough game ahead of us. But yeah we don’t know anything. Lol

What makes Melbourne so great cause they from Florida? You have no idea what you even talking about by all your posts. You keep saying Fort Hill play calling obviously it works cause it wins! Understand NO TEAM is going to stop the wing t cause its something you don't see everyday. Its like watching Georgia Tech or Navy you can only try to slow it down. Fort Hill might run 4 plays but they run them to perfection and that's all that matters. In the ALCO Dunbar game that was a 1st game neither could prepare totally for. ALCO against a high powered spread team with a D1 QB and Dunbar against a veteran wing T team with a grown man running the ball. The Fort Hill - Dunbar game will come down to who don't turn the ball over period. Understand this is also a rivalry game. Both Head Coaches know and respect each other. They actually are friends. This game will be about execute the best.

This is an excellent point! Obviously it hyperbole to say "no team" but it's difficult to stop because they don't see it all year.

This is an excellent point! Obviously it hyperbole to say "no team" but it's difficult to stop because they don't see it all year.
It is difficult to stop because yes most teams are not familiar with it and you better have good size and speed defensively if you are not familiar with it otherwise it will be a long day.

They have seen the wing t this yr. and failed miserably at defending it.. I'm sure adjustments will be made but I still can't see them stopping it.. I'm not worried about the Sentinels offense.. It's gonna come down to how well they play defense... Dunbar can score quick so they need some big stops...

The more I thought about it, let me respond to you. 1. What makes melbourne so great cause they are from florida? No, what makes them good is the players they had on their team. Do you know what talent is? Because they were loaded with many D1 type players. 2. Fh is lucky they beat alco 2 weeks ago and even more lucky they beat lackey, and I'm not saying fh isn't better than both teams because they are. Fh could have thrown all day vs Alco but chose not too and left them in the game. You don't think throwing 4 times is playing conservative? 3. Navy and Georgia Tech statement, yeah they are college powerhouses. No they aren't and running the wing t is what gives them the best chance to win with the talent they have 4. NO team is going to stop the wing t, yeah ok, FCA struggled stopping it. FCA stopped it because they had the size and speed to stop it. 5. I think you are taking it personally when I say the play calling but it is fact fh plays conversative with the lead and it almost burnt them the last 2 games. 6. Both coaches know each other and respect each other. Good, glad they respect each other, glad they are friends. They both run great programs and obviously are great coaches. I'm not really sure what your point is with that.

Last edited:
They have seen the wing t this yr. and failed miserably at defending it.. I'm sure adjustments will be made but I still can't see them stopping it.. I'm not worried about the Sentinels offense.. It's gonna come down to how well they play defense... Dunbar can score quick so they need some big stops...

Totally agree.. FH will have to work for their yards and TDs, obviously, but unless Dunbar totally sells out the pass for the run and loads 9 guys in the box, then FH will run and score. If Dunbar does sell out, then I'd like to think FH will adjust and go play-action, etc. to throw the ball some. May not be the easiest thing in the world though because doing that against an Allegany or any other local team is one thing while doing it to Dunbar is different, because they have to defend the pass all the time.

On the flip, I don't know how Dunbar's run game is, but if FH can stop the pass, then I think they're good. That QB is a pretty tough, confident kid though, so getting to him is obviously important. Running through FH isn't going to happen, so Dunbar, if they're smart, will go to the air. I do think FH has the athletes to cover the open spaces in the pass game though.

Gonna be a good one... probably tight, too. I'll throw FH 31 Dunbar 28 on the wall just to see if it sticks.

Since I don't have a kid playing for either team like the majority of the posters on the board and will be doing other things this weekend.. can someone provide an occasional update on the game, or even a link where it can be streamed? Thanks in advance.

I predict a typical FH vs. Dunbar dogfight. Where there will be a dozen or so crucial plays that decide the game. Really not much different than we have seen the last two games for FH or the seemingly every time these two meet. If I'm laying down the line I make this one a Pick Em.

Dunbar has the speed and passing superiority. FH has the power ground game superiority. Sounds all too familiar. I would give the edge on the line of scrimmage big to FH. I would give the athleticism edge big to Dunbar.

A problem I could see for Dunbar is just not knowing how they perform versus stout competition. I know we like to debate schedules here in the West but other than the opener with Alco the Poets have not played anyone remotely close to being at the level of FH. The next best thing may have been Havre de Grace or Potomac. No offense meant to the Baltimore City League teams but that is really a weak league these days. That doesn't mean this game won't be the dogfight predicted but FH is certainly more battle tested. Since Week 2 Dunbar has not faced anyone that could remotely begin to push them.

The key for FH is eliminating the big play. Dunbar is going to score, they just have to make sure it takes 8 to 10 play drives and not just a simple 80 yard handoff or a 60 yard TD pass. The Poets will get their completions throwing it 24-30 times. FH secondary has to keep everything in front of them and then make the tackle. When you see a FH man in coverage and you can read the number on the back of his jersey that is not going to be good. I would not recommend tight bump and run coverage this week. The FH secondary is the main concern says Captain Obvious.

For Dunbar their big concern has to be how well the defensive front holds up. Watching the Alco game was bad. Not just getting beaten up front but giving up 40 and 50 yard runs right up the gut almost every snap. We will see what type of alignment Coach Smith puts together and this is key. But they don't have the horses up front that Lackey or Friendship had. I suspect they will try to use speed over power against this wing-T.

Last edited:
Dunbar was king of 1A.. FH now holds the crown winning it every yr. the Poets were gone.. Dunbar wants to reclaim their superiority over 1A.. This game could sell on ppv lol..

Reactions: towpath94
God I hope I'm wrong but I think FH is exhausted and chasing Dunbar all over the field spells disaster. Dunbar 42-17. Dear Lord, please let me be wrong.

Dunbar 46
FH 24

If FH has less than, say, 8 passes. (Do hope I'm wrong, but I've got a funny feeling it's going to be pound-it-up-the-middle, win or lose.)

People say Dunbar is better now than week one, well that should also be true about alco in week 10 and also week 12 and Fort Hill beat that team twice SO. RELAX. We got this. GO RED !!!!!!!
I agree 100%..
Some don't wanna hear this but u guys won State in the 2nd week of the playoffs... Bad play calling is the only thing that could stand in the Sentinels way...

FH loses a close game 34-27. After the game this board is swamped with complaints about how Dunbar recruits, lol
You're probably right, and it will start at the top. I've said since Appel's first loss to Dunbar, get out now, it's the way it is, if you don't like it, if you don't want to compete in the system, either quit and let somebody who doesn't mind take over or take your team out of the playoffs. The whining and moaning doesn't accomplish anything except make you look like a sore loser. We get it, we know how a lot of people feel, let it go.
It's a little like alco complaining about fh's schedule, it is what it is, it's not gonna change, talking about it sounds like a way to make yourself feel better.

You're probably right, and it will start at the top. I've said since Appel's first loss to Dunbar, get out now, it's the way it is, if you don't like it, if you don't want to compete in the system, either quit and let somebody who doesn't mind take over or take your team out of the playoffs. The whining and moaning doesn't accomplish anything except make you look like a sore loser. We get it, we know how a lot of people feel, let it go.

Agreed. Even a sore winner. So tired of hearing some snarky jab at every post game interview. Win or lose. Someone is out to get us, we shouldnt have to this or that, the MPSSAA sucks, Northern wont play us, we played a 2A team in 1A playoffs, etc...

No one listening to any of the local radio stations can do a damn thing about it.

Agreed. Even a sore winner. So tired of hearing some snarky jab at every post game interview. Win or lose. Someone is out to get us, we shouldnt have to this or that, the MPSSAA sucks, Northern wont play us, we played a 2A team in 1A playoffs, etc...

No one listening to any of the local radio stations can do a damn thing about it.
Correct, a local radio station cannot help Fort Hill but they can ensure a POY played at Allegany. Don't like Todd's snarky jabs, DON'T LISTEN.

Reactions: 5punisher3
"how Dunbar recruits" ? what's that all about?
there are no district lines or boundaries in baltimore. you can go to any school you want. if a coach sucks or there aren't many good athletes a kid can say "well i'm going to go across town where there's a good coach, a winning team, and i'll join the winners". think of it as the nba and what kevin durant did; people may hate but he didn't break the rules.
i think what people get caught up on is the fact that most counties, if not all, have rules that are supposed to prevent this. However, having said that, we all know that there are football players in cumberland that don't go to the school they are supposed to be going to based on where they live. a little hypocritical much?

there are no district lines or boundaries in baltimore. you can go to any school you want. if a coach sucks or there aren't many good athletes a kid can say "well i'm going to go across town where there's a good coach, a winning team, and i'll join the winners". think of it as the nba and what kevin durant did; people may hate but he didn't break the rules.
i think what people get caught up on is the fact that most counties, if not all, have rules that are supposed to prevent this. However, having said that, we all know that there are football players in cumberland that don't go to the school they are supposed to be going to based on where they live. a little hypocritical much?

However, there’s a big difference between Baltimore City and Western Maryland, specifically Allegany County. If a player wants to jump ship in Allegany County they will have to sit out a year. In Baltimore City you can play for four different high schools in four years. Also, the players you are referring to this year at FH and Alco have never jumped ship, whether or not they live in or out of district.

I myself kind of get sick hearing the whining about Dunbar. I do have a disdain for Dunbar like others, but don’t discount the fact that they have to deal with St. Francis Academy who shares the same practice field with them recruiting their players, as well as Gilman, Mount St. Joseph, Calvert Hall and whatever other private schools as well as public schools that are near them. One of the Baltimore Douglass teams FH beat had eight or nine former Dunbar players on it from what I was told. I don’t remember hearing any complaining then about that because FH won.

Just beat them. Fort Hill has beat them before and played toe-to-toe with one of the best Dunbar teams ever, and Alco beat them this year whether it was in week one or week ten, it doesn’t matter.

Although some programs will take advantage of the rules, I'm against making kids sit out a year. They should of course put in some rules like having a deadline to transfer. Players shouldn't be transferring in the middle of the year. As you mentioned, I just don't like when kids get stuck at a school with a bad coach, or maybe it's just a bad situation for them. I've also seen schools where the coach has been there forever and acts like a king instead of an educator. I don't see how keeping kids off the field is ever a good idea (unless it's for disciplinary reasons).

Not just anyone can go to Dunbar. You have to be accepted.

“Dunbar High School is a magnet school, offering biotechnology, emergency medical technology (EMT), accounting, nursing, and health care delivery systems programs.”

You can live right next to Dunbar high school and be turned away as a student.

I’m not complaining in the least. It doesn’t change what needs to be done on game day. I am merely just stating the facts. When you control who can come to your school you can also control your enrollment numbers.

However, there’s a big difference between Baltimore City and Western Maryland, specifically Allegany County. If a player wants to jump ship in Allegany County they will have to sit out a year. In Baltimore City you can play for four different high schools in four years. Also, the players you are referring to this year at FH and Alco have never jumped ship, whether or not they live in or out of district.

I myself kind of get sick hearing the whining about Dunbar. I do have a disdain for Dunbar like others, but don’t discount the fact that they have to deal with St. Francis Academy who shares the same practice field with them recruiting their players, as well as Gilman, Mount St. Joseph, Calvert Hall and whatever other private schools as well as public schools that are near them. One of the Baltimore Douglass teams FH beat had eight or nine former Dunbar players on it from what I was told. I don’t remember hearing any complaining then about that because FH won.

Just beat them. Fort Hill has beat them before and played toe-to-toe with one of the best Dunbar teams ever, and Alco beat them this year whether it was in week one or week ten, it doesn’t matter.

People always complain about winning programs. Like was mentioned earlier how people say FH gets help from the refs. Every winning programs goes through this. The schools in Moco say Quince Orchard recruits. The schools in PG say Wise recruits. The schools in Chuck say North Points recruits.

I do have to mention Cumberland schools had open admission for many years. That rule was just instituted recently that kids have to sit out if they transfer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT