Winter sports

beall02

Franchise Poster
Jun 2, 2006
What is it looking like for area teams?

Boys Basketball
Girls Basketball
Wrestling

Alco boys should be good locally. Avery Miller will be a good player for girls basketball

Alco boys should be good locally. Avery Miller will be a good player for girls basketball
I agree that Avery Miller will be good for Alco girls. The unfortunate thing is the only two girls they have that can score is she and the Taylor girl. I don't see them winning many games unless someone else picks up the slack.

Reactions: cumbfanatic
They needed to get the other girls involved at Braddock when Avery was in 6 grade. 6,7,8 grade Avery dominated and the other girls watched her score other points. Then they hit highschool and they need the other girls. They are use to watching Avery make all the points.If the other girls were involved in middle school and had some plays to spread out the scoring they would have developed into a different team.

Allegany boys wins at Northern 55-40
FH girls are having a rough time losing to Northern by around 20 then Southern 58-20

Boys Basketball is enjoyable from a local perspective. But winning a state championship isn't an option. That goes through Baltimore much the same as football goes through Allegany County. Funny how that works.

Boys Basketball is enjoyable from a local perspective. But winning a state championship isn't an option. That goes through Baltimore much the same as football goes through Allegany County. Funny how that works.
I wonder if they look at the playoff bracket when the playoffs start and say that Western Maryland basketball is terrible😂

Maybe if there was 6 classifications in basketball things would change

Football takes a lot more year round discipline of more players. Basketball the city schools put 5-7 good athletes on the floor; Western MD can’t match up with them. Isiah can match-up with anyone in the City, but they have 4-5 more players just as athletic. The city football teams have a couple good athletes on the teams, but they don’t have all the players/teams putting in the year round work like Fort Hill.

Reactions: Tony54
Maybe if there was 6 classifications in basketball things would change
6 classes in hoops doesn't eliminate the tiny charter schools like Lake Clifton or one of the CMIT type teams. If Fort Hill would not have had to play Edmondson last year they still would have not beaten the Lakers.

FH Wrestling is pretty decent this year. They have a tough lineup that is loaded with upperclassmen. Not sure how well we'll match up with Northern but we manhandled Ridge last night 66-15.

FH is 3-0 on the year currently.

FH Wrestling is pretty decent this year. They have a tough lineup that is loaded with upperclassmen. Not sure how well we'll match up with Northern but we manhandled Ridge last night 66-15.

FH is 3-0 on the year currently.
I was at the Ridge match last night. Ridge is not very good. Just from my point of view, Ridge looked like a Junior High team compared to FH. Hell, most of their wrestlers didn't even look like they knew the basic techniques... They were crossing their feet while standing up, didn't know how to run a power half when on the ground, too many illegal moves, ( locked hands, full Nelson's). Nobody uses a cross face anymore. In today's day and age, maybe that's illegal, I don't know. Christ, you are not even allowed to celebrate after a match. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I was surprised that Allegany scored so many points against FH wrestling. Allegany is bad. Ridge must have dropped in wrestling they use to have a great program.

The weakness that is going get Alco basketball is outside shooting. They have size, Isiah can drive and make things happen. They lack outside shooting

Reactions: ravemwp
I was surprised that Allegany scored so many points against FH wrestling. Allegany is bad. Ridge must have dropped in wrestling they use to have a great program.
Ridge has alot of inexperienced wrestlers.
Ridge has a young team this year. They have had decent teams over the years. They have good numbers in the youth program so the future looks bright. Fort Hill has a good team this year. Hess will probably win a State Championship. He is ranked 5th in the State out of all guys in his class( private and public). They have a few good wrestlers that will have a good chance of placing in the State Tournament barring injuries or how they seed in the tournament. Maryland Seeding for the State Championship is messed up.

FH Christmas tournament
Alco plays today at 5:30. 12/27
FH follows
Alco plays tomorrow at 4:30. 12/28
FH follows

The weakness that is going get Alco basketball is outside shooting. They have size, Isiah can drive and make things happen. They lack outside shooting
They have a couple of spot up shooters on the bench. #15, #25 shoot well. It may depend on how Teddy plays them. Isaiah needs shooters to kick the ball out to on his penetrations, to keep defenses honest. For everything that Dae Dae and Powell do well, the one thing they don't is shoot well from distance consistantly.

I was at the game with my grandson. Both of us thought it was an entertaining game. Neither team has outside shooting. Alco doesn't even try to shoot from outside. FH was probably like 3 of 12 from beyond the arc. Alco like 1 of 3.

FH had a bunch of players in foul trouble. But they have the depth to fight thru it. Very athletic just not pure bball skills. Spencer is a tenacious hustling ball hawk. They have 10 kids who can rotate and not miss a beat.

Michaels may be Alco's best player. Strong with a nice soft shot. Probably their best shooter. I think he scored the first 10 points.

FH got the triple sweep tonight. Frosh, JV and Varsity got a W.

With Brown, and Jabril in foul trouble all night, FH role players really played well. Carney, Sensabaugh, Gamil, and Hamilton were all over the court, they played great team ball. They created offensive from a swarming defense, and Spencer was just a bulldog all night. The kid has no fear, and never backs down.

FH been playing good. Alco is on a slide. Alco did move a sophomore to varsity last week that can shoot, he is small.

Watch out, if that young man goes through puberty and then sets his eyes on those pretty Fort Hill girls, he'll be Fort Hill bound for sure!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT