ADVERTISEMENT

Will the Maryland state playoffs change?

20 years is too large of a sample size. But just looking at last year's playoff results, 2A was very competitive. 4A and 3A were a little skewed because of two dominant teams. And both schools played a very tough schedule - taking out every competitor along the way.

1A West is weird because they don't have a conference. Why can't Maryland MPSSAA force the schools into a conference or make them ineligible for post-season play? For example, in 4A next year Wise is going to play DeMatha in an epic game. But even if they lose, which they probably will, it's not going to affect their playoff situation because they still have to play everyone in their division any way.

Ok, looking at the regional playoff era (03-present) the margins are 10.2 points for 4A, 16.5 for 3A, 17.9 for 2A, and 20.3 for 1A. If I take out the largest and smallest margins in the same period the margins are 7.6 points for 4A (there were multiple 1 point games here), 15.45 points in 3A, 17.6 points in 2A,and 20.45 points in 1A.

Doing the same (taking out the largest and smallest margins) for the years between the move to calling the classes 4A,3A,etc...and the beginning of the present set up (1988-2002) the margins were:13.7 points in 4A, 10.2 in 3A, 13.3 in 2A, and 9.3 in 1A.

Last edited:
How can you argue that Money/Travel isn't an issue? For example, if 1-16 was approved, it might be possible - using the current alignment of 1A schools - that FH or Alco would have to play on the Eastern Shore 2 weeks in a row and then play in Annapolis for the title game.

I'm saying it is an issue for the MPSSAA. They don't want teams traveling across state when the MPSSAA has to pay for it.

That is exactly the point why I find the arguments against 1-16 nonsense, WV is poorer and larger geographically and makes it work. As I have said numerous times, the longest trip would be Southern to Snow Hill, that is only 5 1/2 hours and that match up would not happen every year. If the MPSSAA is stubborn to move away from regions, lets add a class or 2, I think Maryland has enough schools that can make it work without watering things down. WV AAA only has 29 schools total.

I think people have trouble accepting that as an issue because other states use this format and make it work. West Virginia for example, which is more economically depressed than Maryland, finds a way to make it work. I don't think anyone is saying travel/money isn't an issue, they are saying that it's an issue that could be overcome if the MPSSAA were willing (i.e. neutral site games, etc..).

beall02, you cannot award more points for playing teams in your region unless the regional play is mandatory.
Why can't you??? Schools have complete control of their schedules. If the point bonus is significant enough than every school will want to schedule games against teams within their own region. Everyone wants to see teams within the same region play more games against the rest of the region right? This would be a way to get it. And for the record, I believe their should be a minimum games played against own region clause in the playoff system.

I wouldn't say most of the schools in the state, at least in the suburban DC and Baltimore counties have complete control of their schedules. Most of those schools are hamstrung by the county directors of athletics by what they can do. You probably aren't going to convince decision makers in counties with anywhere from 10 to 25 schools to let ADs (part time in a lot of places with teaching responsibilities) schedule a bunch of games all over the place when just from a cost perspective it's better to keep as much in county as possible, not to mention the logistical nightmares that can come from it.

I'd like to be in the meeting where you tell Charles County that they need to pay for McDonough to make a few 1-2 hour trips (without traffic) into PG and Harford Counties. For that matter I'd also like to see the meeting with Wicomico County and Worcester County telling them they need to pay for Bennett and Stephen Decatur to make 2-3 hour trips both ways across the bay bridge to play in Howard County and Anne Arundel county.

How can you argue that Money/Travel isn't an issue? For example, if 1-16 was approved, it might be possible - using the current alignment of 1A schools - that FH or Alco would have to play on the Eastern Shore 2 weeks in a row and then play in Annapolis for the title game.
This works in many other states. I just don't see any games that are that far off from each other 5 hours would be the longest trip and it doesn't seem to be a problem in a poor poor state like WV but then again The WVSSAC does many things better than The MPSSAA and I guess they always will.
I know the state helps with the playoff travel and expenses but if a Team had to pay for their own trip 1 Bus, not including the cheerleaders and bus because it's football and they don't have to make the trip. If a Team can't go to an away game because it's 4 hours away they probably shouldn't be in The Playoffs in the first place. If FH plays a Team in the Semi-Final from The Eastern shore so be it....... Sad sad sad times in Maryland

Why can't you??? Schools have complete control of their schedules. If the point bonus is significant enough than every school will want to schedule games against teams within their own region. Everyone wants to see teams within the same region play more games against the rest of the region right? This would be a way to get it. And for the record, I believe their should be a minimum games played against own region clause in the playoff system.

You can't have a bunch of schools in the region get extra points for playing each other while still avoiding playing other schools. That would not be fair to the teams they avoid. Western Maryland is the worst in the state when it comes to region teams intentionally avoiding each other. As an example, no one in the region is going to play FH no matter how you encourage them to do so. You cannot start handing out bonus points to everyone except FH. If regional play was mandatory and each team got a fair chance to pick up the same amount of extra points, that's another story.

I wouldn't say most of the schools in the state, at least in the suburban DC and Baltimore counties have complete control of their schedules. Most of those schools are hamstrung by the county directors of athletics by what they can do. You probably aren't going to convince decision makers in counties with anywhere from 10 to 25 schools to let ADs (part time in a lot of places with teaching responsibilities) schedule a bunch of games all over the place when just from a cost perspective it's better to keep as much in county as possible, not to mention the logistical nightmares that can come from it.

I'd like to be in the meeting where you tell Charles County that they need to pay for McDonough to make a few 1-2 hour trips (without traffic) into PG and Harford Counties. For that matter I'd also like to see the meeting with Wicomico County and Worcester County telling them they need to pay for Bennett and Stephen Decatur to make 2-3 hour trips both ways across the bay bridge to play in Howard County and Anne Arundel county.

I don't disagree with that. In these areas you are forced to play County games. But in most cases all these schools are in the same region. Why have regions at all if you aren't going to make these teams play each other. Just get rid of them and go 1-16. You can't put teams in a region and say well we could care less if you play each other. We are only doing it to make it easier come playoff time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT