ADVERTISEMENT

Why does Fort Hill Suck at Basketball??

Can't say they always suck, they are usually one of the better programs in the area, usually defeating Mountain Ridge and Keyser; competitive with BW depending on what transfers Walsh has; and competitive with Alco 50% of the time.

Last year FH finished 16-7 or 17-8, somewhere in that area. I believe they split with Keyser; swept Southern, Walsh, Ridge, and Northern; and lost three to Alco including the playoff game. Not that long ago they were consistently going deep in the playoffs and played in the final four. So I don't think saying they always suck is really accurate at all. Especially when Todd Eirich was coaching there. He was a proven championship coach.

I believe that their biggest issue this year is size (they don't have any) and the late start (3 starters had one day of practice due to the long football season). They have some very quick, athletic guards and a couple small forwards (or tall guards), doubt they have anyone over 6'2". They have so far been undermanned on the boards and unable to establish anything inside. It remains to be seen if they can start gelling after the football players have time to adjust and get practice time.

dedication

Football is basically all year round at FH. In basketball they basically pick up the ball first day of try outs.

Agreed, FH does not "suck" at basketball. They are usually very competitive. But it is rare for a school to be great at both football and basketball. When Alco was the dominant football team in the 1980's, their basketball program suffered. The 1980's was perhaps the best in Alco football history, and one of the worst in Alco basketball history. When kids win state championships in football and get all the glory that goes with it, the desire to jump right into basketball is often lacking.

Alco has been the dominant area team in basketball in recent years and their football program has suffered for it. I can think of 3 really good athletes on Alco's b-ball team that would have been good football players and would have given Alco the speed at WR and DB they lacked this past year. But these kids chose to concentrate on basketball. The future of HS sports is for kids to concentrate on one sport, two at the most. That makes if really difficult for a school, especially in 1A, to be great in both football and basketball.

Different discussion. We've seen area teams being very good in both football and baseball in the same school year. We've also seen schools having very good basketball and baseball teams in the same year (Alco last year). Football is a demanding sport, especially at FH. But why FH does not have better baseball teams is beyond me. Coaching? Commitment? Football having too much influence? Are football players told to run track instead of playing baseball? That was once a problem at Alco. Football players were "encouraged" not to play basketball or baseball and run track instead. The FH faithful can probably answer this question. FH should be much better in baseball. Alco and Mountain Ridge have the better programs.

I think it's time to get a new coaching staff. These kids daddy's dont seem to know anything about baseball. Take care of their kids. To my understanding theirs better baseball players walking the halls of the school and won't even come out because of this .

Looks like a lot of the football players don't play, unless they are seniors, or don't see much playing time at fort hill. Don't know if they aren't allowed to play basketball, or just don't.
Same thing at Keyser.

More than half of the basketball team are football players. Jackson, Weedon, Graves, Brown, Trennum, Squires, York and Powell. Not sure what team you were looking at.

By the way, the struggling team that started the season is becoming a memory..FH defeated a high scoring Bishop Walsh team tonight with a killer press, speedy defense and clutch plays from the bench. 61-55. Big win. They played very well. The big European forward for Walsh is very good as well.

Note sure what post you read

Jackson (senior)
Lennon, Graves, Squires, York, Weedon, Brown (Barely played varisty)

Trennum (offense) and Powell (defense) are the only two players with regular playing time and they only played one way.

BTW, how do you consider BW high-scoring? Haven't scored 80 points even once and are 4-3. Only got 64 points in a win over Northern.
Would slow down on the excitement. One win over a halfway decent team after four bad loses is nothing to brag about.

I would take the KORN over the current baseball coaching staff..

The "friends a family plan not working"

Time to reach out a touch someone....

From the movie Christmas Vacation....GET ME SOMEONE ANY ONE AND GET ME SOMEONE WHILE I AM WATING..

I always wondered this question myself.. I mean they have the athletes to compete in those sports so IDK...

Coachimg.....one coach left last year because his 9th grade son couldnt have a spot on versity..

Some one has to step in and clean house at fort hill or look for 6 wins this year...

I admit I misread your post as saying the football players didnt play much on the basketball team, my bad. However, you mentioned Brown barely played varsity..he was the starting cornerback all year. And played slot on every other play rotating in the play calls. Just wanted to correct that.

Regardless of how much any of them played on varsity, the point is you play for the football team until football season is over. Hence, 7 of FH's 12 man basketball roster had exactly onr day of practice prior to the bball season starting. Including 2 of the starting 5 who also started on varsity football. Get the point? Brown is one of the stronger shooting guards in the area, he'd be a power forward if he were slightly taller...but with one day of preseason practice, its going to be hard to gel with your team.

Having said that, now with 2 weeks in the books as a team, FH is improving exponentially. BW, while not of elite caliber, is a winning team who has only been held to less than 60 points once this season in 7 games prior to last night. FH held them to 55 and rattled their big forward. Thats impressive for a team that started the season with a few losses.

I'm thinking FH may very well turn things around and have a nice season. The city title is Alcos to defend, but I think the city games will all be close this year. Alco is down from last years finalist squad.

Watched FH play @ Southern. They are alot like SHS, no big guys at all. They do have some nice athletes. I think they will get better as the year goes on. Alco is the team to beat. Watched them vs Southern. Big and strong inside, Jesse player of the year, but not very deep. If their bigs or point guard gets into foul trouble, it could mean some setoius problems.

Originally posted by kkram:

If their bigs or point guard gets into foul trouble, it could mean some setoius problems.
This could be a HUGE issue against any team that has an inside game. Alco has NO bench whatsoever. Coppman and Jesse are the only two big men who can really bang for the Campers. Good guards, Pendergast is a good leader.

Alco's starting 5 are better than any starting 5 in the area or region. And will match up well against anyone in the state.

But if you recall, last year the bench was a huge push to helping Alco nearly win the final game when Nightengale got in foul trouble and Sivic wasn't on his game. That bench isn't there this year.

Half on the starters on baseball last year were related to the coaching staff...

We just need to find coaches with a better blood line......

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT