ADVERTISEMENT

Who will be Fort Hill's next Football Coach

Yeah he was. And just to clarify I personally wouldnt have an issue with an outsider coming in, per se. But I also dont know the climate of the administration at the time of his being hired; was there anyone really interested in house that was turned away? Not rhetorical, I really dont know.

But we'll find out soon. Interviews are today.
My opinion is there's nobody in house capable alkire maybe but i don't believe he is interested shook would be terrible

My opinion is there's nobody in house capable alkire maybe but i don't believe he is interested shook would be terrible

Capable is relative though. Capable of managing a team and other coaches, or capable of winning 5 titles in 7 years? Again, right wrong or indifferent, its not as much about capability in this case, as it is the desire to have the job.

Maybe we will get a complete surprise and it will be a dark horse, but I'm just going by most likely scenarios.

If a coach believes they can come to Cumberland and implement a spread system...sorry, there is not enough speed in this area to remotely compete in such a system. Argue all you want about that. Passing the ball more is one thing, 4 receivers in the line up is another.

Last edited:
There are some very interesting outside candidates who applied that are currently coaching miles away from this area.

But if a coach believes they can come to Cumberland and implement a spread system...sorry, there is not enough speed in this area to remotely compete in such a system. Argue all you want about that. Passing the ball more is one thing, 4 receivers in the line up is another.
That's a vary good point physical hard nosed football has always been the standard for both schools

Reactions: ConeyIsland
There are some very interesting outside candidates who applied that are currently coaching miles away from this area.

But if a coach believes they can come to Cumberland and implement a spread system...sorry, there is not enough speed in this area to remotely compete in such a system. Argue all you want about that. Passing the ball more is one thing, 4 receivers in the line up is another.

Considering one of the interviewers knows everything about FH football and knows the limitations on area football in general, will help. A coach who comes in with a plan to revamp the whole schematic like that will be vetted out pretty quickly.

Considering one of the interviewers knows everything about FH football and knows the limitations on area football in general, will help. A coach who comes in with a plan to revamp the whole schematic like that will be vetted out pretty quickly.

I agree with you and with Todd about 80% on sticking with the Wing-T. I've mentioned before, I do think that should be the base offense for FH and for Alco, especially when our kids face down state teams with more speed and athletic talent. But I think it limits our programs as well.... mostly against each other, but that's an argument for a different day.

It's not that an in-house guy couldn't bring some new looks to FH (or Alco), but am I right in saying that any current in-house FH candidates didn't play football in college? I don't know the whole staff, only a few of them, so I could be wrong. Also, to clarify two main points about a coaches resume in regard to college playing experience:

- On one hand, there's no question you learn things at that level that would help as far as leadership, talent evaluation, scheme, fundamentals, etc. that could benefit a high school program. Having someone with that experience could help with that 80/20 of Wing-T as the base and then having some other wrinkles to throw in. I gave an example last Fall of how we ran a spread in college, which was completely foreign to me, but we still ran a really effective single and double-pull trap/counter combo out of a 4-wide set. It's simple math - less guys in the box means less guys to block.

- On the other hand, it's absolutely not a requirement that a head coach played in college to have success. Coach Appel and Coach Kane didn't play in college, and they both had successful runs. On the flip, our current head coach played D2 and we've really been struggling for a couple years now, so I realize the other side of my point as well.

I also noted for the FH guys sometime last year (I think) that I figured this was coming for two reasons: Candy has a rep for being a semi-militant, no-nonsense gal who's not a FH insider. And the other reason was a perfect storm of being the FH head coach isn't an easy gig regardless of success, combined with Appel being his own worst enemy at times. Those three elements combined, in my opinion, are what resulted in Appel resigning. And it wasn't really a surprise.

I would just be happy with a coach that knew how to defend the spread.

Reactions: cumbfanatic
I would just be happy with a coach that knew how to defend the spread.

That is easier said than done especially if the other team has more speed than you. Defensively you do have a multitude of ways to defend it for sure but in the end athleticism wins out. That is why Martinsburg has won all of their AAA titles in WV. No other team has the same caliber of athletes as they do.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
I agree with you and with Todd about 80% on sticking with the Wing-T. I've mentioned before, I do think that should be the base offense for FH and for Alco, especially when our kids face down state teams with more speed and athletic talent. But I think it limits our programs as well.... mostly against each other, but that's an argument for a different day.

It's not that an in-house guy couldn't bring some new looks to FH (or Alco), but am I right in saying that any current in-house FH candidates didn't play football in college? I don't know the whole staff, only a few of them, so I could be wrong. Also, to clarify two main points about a coaches resume in regard to college playing experience:

- On one hand, there's no question you learn things at that level that would help as far as leadership, talent evaluation, scheme, fundamentals, etc. that could benefit a high school program. Having someone with that experience could help with that 80/20 of Wing-T as the base and then having some other wrinkles to throw in. I gave an example last Fall of how we ran a spread in college, which was completely foreign to me, but we still ran a really effective single and double-pull trap/counter combo out of a 4-wide set. It's simple math - less guys in the box means less guys to block.

- On the other hand, it's absolutely not a requirement that a head coach played in college to have success. Coach Appel and Coach Kane didn't play in college, and they both had successful runs. On the flip, our current head coach played D2 and we've really been struggling for a couple years now, so I realize the other side of my point as well.

I also noted for the FH guys sometime last year (I think) that I figured this was coming for two reasons: Candy has a rep for being a semi-militant, no-nonsense gal who's not a FH insider. And the other reason was a perfect storm of being the FH head coach isn't an easy gig regardless of success, combined with Appel being his own worst enemy at times. Those three elements combined, in my opinion, are what resulted in Appel resigning. And it wasn't really a surprise.

Coach Appel played at Fairmont State and Frostburg

I heard from a Frankfort person today that Kevin Whiteman has applied

I heard from a Frankfort person today that Kevin Whiteman has applied

Coach Whiteman has not applied. He is a Frankfort Alum, loves the players, school and the students and is not applying for any job.

WOW! There is a coach who applied from down south that is big time. No affiliation with the FH program. Got the info from a friend in DC area. Crazy if this dude comes in. Has his current team in the ESPN top 200 high school rankings. Maybe Boyz knows more. Very intriguing.

Not arguing as you know he is my Second Cousin but why would he be bad for the job?
When I first heard it I was thinking he's too Young but so is Alkire, he's been on the staff much longer and is 31 now so I guess not really that young, just weird for me as he was always that little boy to me.
I will tell ya as a Teacher he has received many awards and from what many kids have told me he is their favorite teacher and he will go the extra mile with every kid that needs it to make sure they understand everything he is teaching. I have also heard the kids like him and he is really laid back and I'm sure would keep most of the staff together. From The Coaches on Staff I would think if not him it would have to be Stewart or Brode but I heard he didn't want the job.
I really do think if they go with someone from the outside that most of the staff will not stick around.
I will also tell ya one of the old people on the staff told me last year that The one problem with Appel is he wanted to do everything exactly what he wanted on offense, defense and special teams at every moment no matter what 3-4 other coaches suggested. That same person told me Richie was The best fit from that staff as he would lead but also allow the other coaches to have an input.
I was shocked at the time and Now I'm rooting for him to get the job and the chance at it but I could see an outsider getting the job and all of the regulars walking out the door, personally if it were me I would leave the area and go to another State that is Paying 40-50k a year to Coach instead of $2500 LOL

Not arguing as you know he is my Second Cousin but why would he be bad for the job?
When I first heard it I was thinking he's too Young but so is Alkire, he's been on the staff much longer and is 31 now so I guess not really that young, just weird for me as he was always that little boy to me.
I will tell ya as a Teacher he has received many awards and from what many kids have told me he is their favorite teacher and he will go the extra mile with every kid that needs it to make sure they understand everything he is teaching. I have also heard the kids like him and he is really laid back and I'm sure would keep most of the staff together. From The Coaches on Staff I would think if not him it would have to be Stewart or Brode but I heard he didn't want the job.
I really do think if they go with someone from the outside that most of the staff will not stick around.
I will also tell ya one of the old people on the staff told me last year that The one problem with Appel is he wanted to do everything exactly what he wanted on offense, defense and special teams at every moment no matter what 3-4 other coaches suggested. That same person told me Richie was The best fit from that staff as he would lead but also allow the other coaches to have an input.
I was shocked at the time and Now I'm rooting for him to get the job and the chance at it but I could see an outsider getting the job and all of the regulars walking out the door, personally if it were me I would leave the area and go to another State that is Paying 40-50k a year to Coach instead of $2500 LOL
No t a knock on him as a person he took over as freshman coach my son freshman year and its my opinion he was soft on those kids granted they were a wild bunch. And maybe he's grone and would do good job

WOW! There is a coach who applied from down south that is big time. No affiliation with the FH program. Got the info from a friend in DC area. Crazy if this dude comes in. Has his current team in the ESPN top 200 high school rankings. Maybe Boyz knows more. Very intriguing.

The internet moves fast. It's always the same, I find a game and someone posts it on Twitter before I can even get the contract back. Crazy world. But yes, very intriguing.

Yep, NC, has Cumberland ties (his wife is an Alco grad) - he also has coached at several schools in MD, winning MD titles in 4A and 2A. It's a super long shot that he would be considered. But yeah...wow is right.

Yep, NC, has Cumberland ties (his wife is an Alco grad) - he also has coached at several schools in MD, winning MD titles in 4A and 2A. It's a super long shot that he would be considered. But yeah...wow is right.
Why would it be a long shot with that much success?

Just do the system math and you will have the next coach. Expect an announcement sooner than later.

Why would it be a long shot with that much success?

Because I've said it multiple times in this thread. You have to be a teacher in the system to be a head coach. And teachers already in the system are given first crack at it, and only if a) no one in the system applies or b) a person in the system who applies is considered a really bad choice, will someone from the outside be given not only the coaching position but they would HAVE to be able to fill a teaching position in the school. And there is no vacant position at FH anyway, the PE job is in the process of being filled.

But its moot, as Helmick said expect an announcement soon.

Last edited:
was that the expected?
I think so. Would say many of us expected an in-house hire. I mentioned about connecting the dots. Coach Alkire has the most tenure at FH out of all that applied. He is a FH grad and former player. He also is the head coach in track (and won a state title). He has some good FH blood line for coaching. The choice was logical.

I think Zach brings to the table an ability to delegate and handle PR off-the-field arrangements pretty well. He's smart and knows the the FH system. Good luck to Coach Alkire.

Zack Alkire is a hard guy not to like, and he's a hard choice not to like. I know I personally was about split on where the new hire would come from, but I'm happy to see that the position is filled by someone who is already in the family. My personal thought was that if they kept it in house that Shook would be the guy. He got pulled up last year from the Freshman squad to run the offense last year after Polumbo left, and it seemed to me that he was possibly being groomed since Appel was nearly gone midway through the season. Alkire has done a great job with the JV squad since he took the reigns from Burner 5 or so years ago. I dont think the FH JV's lost more than 2 games in a season under him, but I could be wrong. Zack is gonna be a good head coach for as long as he wants to be. I think his personality is one that will be a welcome change for some of those inside and outside the program that took issue with how Coach Appel acted and talked at times(although I never did). All in all, the program is in safe hands

Last edited:
Because I've said it multiple times in this thread. You have to be a teacher in the system to be a head coach. And teachers already in the system are given first crack at it, and only if a) no one in the system applies or b) a person in the system who applies is considered a really bad choice, will someone from the outside be given not only the coaching position but they would HAVE to be able to fill a teaching position in the school. And there is no vacant position at FH anyway, the PE job is in the process of being filled.

But its moot, as Helmick said expect an announcement soon.

If the new coach has to be a teacher in the system, would the in school suspension class qualify?

Zack Alkire is a hard guy not to like, and he's a hard choice not to like. I know I personally was about split on where the new hire would come from, but I'm happy to see that the position is filled by someone who is already in the family. My personal thought was that if they kept it in house that Shook would be the guy. He got pulled up last year from the Freshman squad to run the offense last year after Polumbo left, and it seemed to me that he was possibly being groomed since Appel was nearly gone midway through the season. Alkire has done a great job with the JV squad since he took the reigns from Burner 5 or so years ago. I dont think the FH JV's lost more than 2 games in a season under him, but I could be wrong. Zack is gonna be a good head coach for as long as he wants to be. I think his personality is one that will be a welcome change for some of those inside and outside the program that took issue with how Coach Appel acted and talked at times(although I never did). All in all, the program is in safe hands

Totally agree. Zack is a class-act guy who is a really good coach and will probably take more of a CEO-based approach to running the program. Meaning that he'll listen to his coaches probably a little bit more than Appel did, but still be very hands-on.

Also, pretty cool that he was the guy selected after not being a favorite and after definitely not petitioning for the job. He's quietly built a very strong coaching resume for years now. Big congrats to Zack - the FH program is in very good hands going forward.

If the new coach has to be a teacher in the system, would the in school suspension class qualify?

Is that person a teacher? If not, then no.

(It's a moot point, regardless, as the selection has been made)

I was kind of a "team Richie" person; but I am definitely not anti-Zack, for sure - a solid choice. And I do know that they've discussed this between each other that regardless of who got it, they'd be all in to support the other. I look for them to be a pretty good compliment to each other, and with the rest of the squad.

While the successes on the field didn't reflect it to the casual observer over the last however many years, there were some tensions that existed. Winning a lot of games and titles can sometimes mask those issues at the end of the day. But eventually that novelty wears off. I think you're going to see a pretty cohesive unit, and maybe some returning faces on the coaching squad moving forward. I'm looking forward to it (especially to when we can actually WATCH the games again)

I was kind of a "team Richie" person; but I am definitely not anti-Zack, for sure - a solid choice. And I do know that they've discussed this between each other that regardless of who got it, they'd be all in to support the other. I look for them to be a pretty good compliment to each other, and with the rest of the squad.

While the successes on the field didn't reflect it to the casual observer over the last however many years, there were some tensions that existed. Winning a lot of games and titles can sometimes mask those issues at the end of the day. But eventually that novelty wears off. I think you're going to see a pretty cohesive unit, and maybe some returning faces on the coaching squad moving forward. I'm looking forward to it (especially to when we can actually WATCH the games again)

Do you expect any major changes to the coaching staff?

Will Alkire coach from the sideline?

I dont foresee any *major* changes to the coaching staff. Like, I dont see a purge or anything. I think you'll see a couple of assistants who were there at Todd's request not be there anymore, and you may see a coach or two who left, coming back in. But that last thought is more conjecture on my part - I have a specific coach in mind that I would personally really like to see back on the crew, who left mainly because of those previously mentioned tensions (I'm not referring to McKenney or Palumbo) - but that's just wishful thinking.

And I have no idea about him coaching from the sideline, but my guess would be yes he would be down with the team. My gut feeling is, unless there is an issue, he will have enough confidence in the upstairs crew to let them call the plays from their post.

Zach coached the JV's from the nest up top for as long as he was the HC at that level. Im not expecting that to change with his move to the head spot on varsity. He also spent all last season with Appel up top as well. I think as long as the coach at Fort Hill is someone who coached under Todd Appel, they'll do their job from up top on gamedays

Last edited:
I dont foresee any *major* changes to the coaching staff. Like, I dont see a purge or anything. I think you'll see a couple of assistants who were there at Todd's request not be there anymore, and you may see a coach or two who left, coming back in. But that last thought is more conjecture on my part - I have a specific coach in mind that I would personally really like to see back on the crew, who left mainly because of those previously mentioned tensions (I'm not referring to McKenney or Palumbo) - but that's just wishful thinking.

And I have no idea about him coaching from the sideline, but my guess would be yes he would be down with the team. My gut feeling is, unless there is an issue, he will have enough confidence in the upstairs crew to let them call the plays from their post.
If you're referring to Shaun Lewis. I wouldnt count on him coming back to coaching, but it would be nice to see

I’ve already heard a few names that will be joining the staff and if so it could have a negative connotation as being a “Daddy’s club”.
Obviously all sorts of adjustments will be made and hopefully this break from football will give them ample time to get everything sorted out before we have a real season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT