ADVERTISEMENT

Who will be Fort Hill's next Football Coach

wvbossman

Junior Varsity Poster
Nov 1, 2012
Coach Appel did an excellent job during his reign as head coach. I wish him the best in his new endeavors. Let's get a civil discussion started on potential candidates for his position. Fort Hill has a tradition of hiring within.

1. Will Fort Hill stick with someone already on staff?

2. If so who would that be?

3. With different administration will they look for an experienced head coach from another school and do something different?

4. If so who would the Fort Hill faithful like to see?

Whoever it will be is gonna have their work cut out for them. At this point I'm 60/40 on the new guy being from the outside. Especially since there is a hope of a "culture change" from the new piece of work in the office

Whoever it will be is gonna have their work cut out for them. At this point I'm 60/40 on the new guy being from the outside. Especially since there is a hope of a "culture change" from the new piece of work in the office

Change to what for goodness sakes?

I don't know her and am not a FH alumni but I am wondering what type of culture change she wants? Without a doubt academics should be a school's top priority, I will never dispute that.

I don't know Fort Hill's stance on academics but based on some of the people I know I would say they have done well and with all schools it is something that constantly needs addressed and put to the forefront.

With that being said certain extracurricular activities create a bond and set the tone for the entire school to rally around. For some schools it sports or certain sports, others it may be the band but each school usually has something. Football has always been the something for Fort Hill.

If the change is for the good of the students/school for reasons we may not know then that may be fine. However, sometimes people in leadership like change for nothing more than the fact that THEY made the change and to put their stamp on it for personal attention or benefit.

I don't know the circumstances in this case but I hope for all involved the change is for honest, genuine reasons if it is necessary.

With FH Losing HC Appel, DC Mckinney and OC Palumbo all in the last 2 seasons.
If they do Hire someone from the outside will any of the current staff even stay?
Would a new Coach even be able to assemble a Staff?
I always said for years at Allegany they should of went out and brought in Alan Fiddler but they didn't, nowadays things seem to be much different, I mean why would anyone stay if they had to step aside for an outsider and the pay is horrible anyways so they could just spend more time with family instead of putting all that time in.

Cannon has made it clear she wants to change FH culture

I was laughing at people at first when they said FH might hire a coach from outside the program, but I'm starting to believe it's possible. Evidently very qualified coaches have applied so far. I heard about one candidate who has college coaching experience and was a FH graduate so he won't be a true "outsider".

It really doesn't matter who they hire, they could let a giraffe wear the head phones on the sideline, FH is going to be 1A power going forward. It's one of the safest positions in the state.

I was laughing at people at first when they said FH might hire a coach from outside the program, but I'm starting to believe it's possible. Evidently very qualified coaches have applied so far. I heard about one candidate who has college coaching experience and was a FH graduate so he won't be a true "outsider".
Matt Puffenberger

I don't know her and am not a FH alumni but I am wondering what type of culture change she wants? Without a doubt academics should be a school's top priority, I will never dispute that.

I don't know Fort Hill's stance on academics but based on some of the people I know I would say they have done well and with all schools it is something that constantly needs addressed and put to the forefront.

With that being said certain extracurricular activities create a bond and set the tone for the entire school to rally around. For some schools it sports or certain sports, others it may be the band but each school usually has something. Football has always been the something for Fort Hill.

If the change is for the good of the students/school for reasons we may not know then that may be fine. However, sometimes people in leadership like change for nothing more than the fact that THEY made the change and to put their stamp on it for personal attention or benefit.

I don't know the circumstances in this case but I hope for all involved the change is for honest, genuine reasons if it is necessary.
I wonder if culture is the right word? Could she maybe mean the perception of fh football is not that of a powerhouse program? It certainly isn't popular among students who aren't in the band. The aging fan base that is only willing to go to games that are meaningful or competitive are all fh has and they rarely show up. Unless somebody knows for sure she could be talking about a coach that knows better than to criticize their fans, understands you can't discuss grades or family matters on the radio, and stops criticizing schedulers or the mpssaa at every opportunity. As an alum it all gets to be a bit much, for those who aren't alum or fans it must seem very whiny. If somebody currently on staff gets the job it might be more of the same and that could be why she wants to go outside.

WTF? Really??????
Puffenberger was the Indians head coach since 2013 and compiled a career record of 15-35 with his best season coming last fall (2017) when the Indians went 6-4 and shattered school records on the offensive end.
The 6-4 Offensive Powerhouse in 2017 Lost 49-0 to Keyser and 22-15 at Petersburg. lol

Reactions: Harleydeuce
I didn’t know who the coach was I remember they were decent and played Allegany during that time.

who is Cannon??

I wonder if culture is the right word? Could she maybe mean the perception of fh football is not that of a powerhouse program? It certainly isn't popular among students who aren't in the band. The aging fan base that is only willing to go to games that are meaningful or competitive are all fh has and they rarely show up. Unless somebody knows for sure she could be talking about a coach that knows better than to criticize their fans, understands you can't discuss grades or family matters on the radio, and stops criticizing schedulers or the mpssaa at every opportunity. As an alum it all gets to be a bit much, for those who aren't alum or fans it must seem very whiny. If somebody currently on staff gets the job it might be more of the same and that could be why she wants to go outside.

Those were issues that I had with the coach.... which, obviously, means nothing. However, I will always believe that if there were a championship to be had this fall, Appel would still be the coach and nobody could make him leave.

I'm not going to discuss candidates. But I will say there are a handful of qualified individuals who would never apply for a head coaching job in this county because of the system. There is way more to being a head coach than just football and always has been obviously. The invention of the cell phone never made it easier. Some of the self-interest cards I have seen played from within the Allegany County BOE was an eye-opener. Let's just say there are people within the system that wanted to see FH football fail. No question. Their actions were usually the opposite of "what can we do to help them succeed." Laugh all you want, but I dealt with it personally the last 12 years from time to time. Not everyone, but certainly a few.

Principals don't have it any easier. They too have to answer to the system - both state and county. But at least principals get 6 figure salaries. I don't envy Candy Canan's job. From the little I have learned about her she seems to be a "no-nonsense" straight shooter. She is also very supportive, very dedicated and deep inside wants her students to excel. I see her at football games and girl's basketball games, etc and trust me...her heart is all in. And you really can't ask for more than that whether you agree or disagree with her policy. At least she gives it to you straight. Joe Carter was a great guy too, still is. But they have an unpopular job many times when it comes to making a decision. I always try to walk in their shoes as much as I try to walk in Coach Appel's shoes. It a'int easy. People don't like leadership these days unless they agree with it.

If I had my d'ruthers I would much more prefer a Fort Hill guy take over the job. When I say Fort Hill guy I mean a guy who graduated and played football at FH. No question this brotherhood is a family. We all may bicker from time to time but we all bleed FH in our hearts since the day we were born. There are always exceptions like with Mike Calhoun. Which by the way still has his hands all over the FH program. I'm not talking about X's and O's schemes, but how the program works from off-season training to watching film, etc. Those depth chart boards behind the coaches desk at both Allegany and FH are still in Coach Calhoun's handwriting. But if you ask the true Big Red football alum, who are still dedicating their time to helping even as older adults - such as the Mark Manges' of the world...yea, we all prefer a Fort Hill guy running the show. But we support whoever it will be at the same time. And for the record, I can't speak for Mark, that was an assumption on my part knowing he understands Fort Hill High School in his heart.

Last edited:
Reactions: ConeyIsland

Evidently there's also a private school coach from the Baltimore area who applied. I said before I don't think a coach without FH connections has a real chance, but it would be interesting if a true outsider came in and revamped the offense away from the Power Wing T

Evidently there's also a private school coach from the Baltimore area who applied. I said before I don't think a coach without FH connections has a real chance, but it would be interesting if a true outsider came in and revamped the offense away from the Power Wing T
If Shook gets the position, I could see him switching some things up on the offensive side of the ball. Who really knows though.

In County teachers will be given first crack at it. And outsiders will have to be placed in a teaching position somewhere, as its a requirement afaik.

Maybe they will get Ty Johnson to take the position as head coach if he's cut from the Lions.

Maybe they will get Ty Johnson to take the position as head coach if he's cut from the Lions.
I don't believe he went to School to be a Teacher, so he really wouldn't be considered over Teachers already in the School System.
I mean if only 2 people applied and one was Joe Montana and the other Mrs Smith the Art Teacher at Flintstone Elementary The Job Would be hers by the School Boards own rules.

I also don't see him being cut and even if there was that chance, there is so many players that are opting out this season he would land somewhere on a Roster, I believe he will play in the league for at least another 6-7 years unless his speed completely goes or he has a bad injury.

Reactions: hbpass2
In no particular order - Richie Shook, Zach Alkire, or Chad Knippenberg. I'd place money on any of them, and they're already in-house. If they want it, its between them.

NFL has expanded their rosters by two players this year so he should be safe this season, and his contract is very cap friendly.

Last edited:
In no particular order - Richie Shook, Zach Alkire, or Chad Knippenberg. I'd place money on any of them, and they're already in-house. If they want it, its between them.

I always heard the same thing about Shook, but other people have said he doesn't have enough varsity experience. If Carter was still there I think it would definitely be one of the three names you mentioned, but with the new administration it seems like it's going to be less political and more about the resume.

I always heard the same thing about Shook, but other people have said he doesn't have enough varsity experience. If Carter was still there I think it would definitely be one of the three names you mentioned, but with the new administration it seems like it's going to be less political and more about the resume.
Don't forget Randy Stewart is already at FH i don't think shook is right for the job personally I think they need to go outside of the current staff Calhoun was an outsider

Don't forget Randy Stewart is already at FH i don't think shook is right for the job personally I think they need to go outside of the current staff Calhoun was an outsider

Yeah he was. And just to clarify I personally wouldnt have an issue with an outsider coming in, per se. But I also dont know the climate of the administration at the time of his being hired; was there anyone really interested in house that was turned away? Not rhetorical, I really dont know.

But we'll find out soon. Interviews are today.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT