ADVERTISEMENT

Where's Alco

bleedred

Franchise Poster
Oct 16, 2001
We know about FH's game this week, but what about Alco? Anyone have any thoughts or insight into their game with Harford Tech?

We know about FH's game this week, but what about Alco? Anyone have any thoughts or insight into their game with Harford Tech?

Tech was a 3 -7 (2A) team last year that didn't score a lot of points. Harford will have a long bus ride and have to face Alco on the Greenway turf. It should get ugly early - but in a good way for Allegany. The question is whether Alco's talent will show up or Corn's Bubba-and-the-boys.

They will have the best run pass balance of anyone FH plays. They will keep FH off balance and beat them twice

They will have the best run pass balance of anyone FH plays.

I'll believe that when I see it. They were supposed to have balanced attacks the last few years and it never played out that way. I think Clearfield will have a far more balanced attack, numbers wise.

I would like to see some competitive local games.

21-20 x 2

Or, FH will need to win homecoming to get into the playoffs but Allegany beats them by two touchdowns. We can speculate all we want but in the end they actually have to play the game. This year we should be able to speculate better than previous years as to the comparable FH/Alco talent. I would say by game 5 Alco fans will either be licking their chops looking forward to homecoming or thinking, "Here we go again."

My post wasn't a prediction. The point was it is so reminiscent of the year Allegany was supposed to win but lost twice to a team they felt they had outclassed. I wouldn't predict.

What's wrong with predictions? We all predict all the time. I predict Allegany may have 1 or 2 losses but it won't be FH this time.

I won't predict because of certain reasons. No biggie. I think some are going to be surprised with Red this year.

My post wasn't a prediction. The point was it is so reminiscent of the year Allegany was supposed to win but lost twice to a team they felt they had outclassed. I wouldn't predict.

I didn't take it as a prediction - pretty sure I understood your reference. Notice, I wasn't predicting either. But I do suggest in my post that by game 5 we will know pretty much how homecoming will turn out. Either this FH team will rival last year's or it will not. Allegany has last year's team and the undefeated JVs that beat FH twice. Alco will be a lot better talent wise... but will FH rival last year? As I declared earlier, we will know by game 5. Hopefully, Alco isn't Corn-fused again. (I am sure, to some, I come off like a Cubs fan at the start of each season).

Alco JV's didn't go undefeated. Both JV and Freshman split with FH. I think this year may be harder to tell how HC will go just because the schedule difference is the largest I've seen in quite some time.

Alco JV's didn't go undefeated. Both JV and Freshman split with FH. I think this year may be harder to tell how HC will go just because the schedule difference is the largest I've seen in quite some time.

I stand corrected. I thought they won both games.

No way to tell by week 5 what will happen at HC. I mean the Alco football schedule is so poor, the only 2 teams even remotely close to Alco will be Keyser and Chestnut. If Alco isn't at least 8-1 going into HC then Corn blew it big time. It's real bad.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
No way to tell by week 5 what will happen at HC. I mean the Alco football schedule is so poor, the only 2 teams even remotely close to Alco will be Keyser and Chestnut. If Alco isn't at least 8-1 going into HC then Corn blew it big time. It's real bad.

Common opponents for one. I believe they both play Chestnut and Keyser by then.... correct. Add in Curley and Clearfield and I think we have a pretty good idea if this year's FH team is equal to last year's. FH then has South and Sherando before Alco, so then one must consider a long bruising schedule for a 1A team. Whatever Allegany is they should be healthy going into homecoming. Lest we forget, we are talking 1A football here. Big drop to the bench. Personally, I like Allegany's schedule and think FH is way... way over scheduled for a 1A school. The surprise people hint at for FH may actually be the realization that they are really a 1A school now.

You may be right Lag. Who knows? I however think there is to many variables. You are talking an early Chestnut Ridge and Keyser. FH has to find themselves earlier this year compared to last with the opponents they have. If they don't, rewind to 2012. I think FH could lose a few games and Allegany still should be concerned. It's homecoming after all. I have more faith in our kids than I ever would in Korn. Bringing up last years JV record made me think a little. They finished the season with the same record as Allegany with losses to the same opponent. Amidst that we had multiple JV and a Freshman on Varsity getting quality game time last year. Just more variables. Bottom line is only time will tell. I don't know the Blue side kids but I do the Red and man what a great bunch of young men who works hard. Not saying Blue doesn't. Top that off with the best high school coaching staff and that schedule could mean nothing come November. I read a quote the other day and there was no date or title attached to it. Essentially it said FH thinks they are big and strong but we have a great weight room too and I think we showed them that today. That isn't verbatim but close. I couldn't figure out when it was said. Preskorn made the statement after losing to FH by multiple td's at homecoming. Interesting choice of words and leaves me thinking ones train of thought. In the end I hope for a successful and healthy season for the Cumberland teams. On November 7th nobody can predict what will be unleashed.

Last edited:
You may be right Lag. Who knows? I however think there is to many variables. You are talking an early Chestnut Ridge and Keyser. FH has to find themselves earlier this year compared to last with the opponents they have. If they don't, rewind to 2012. I think FH could lose a few games and Allegany still should be concerned. It's homecoming after all. I have more faith in our kids than I ever would in Korn. Bringing up last years JV record made me think a little. They finished the season with the same record as Allegany with losses to the same opponent. Amidst that we had multiple JV and a Freshman on Varsity getting quality game time last year. Just more variables. Bottom line is only time will tell. I don't know the Blue side kids but I do the Red and man what a great bunch of young men who works hard. Not saying Blue doesn't. Top that off with the best high school coaching staff and that schedule could mean nothing come November. I read a quote the other day and there was no date or title attached to it. Essentially it said FH thinks they are big and strong but we have a great weight room too and I think we showed them that today. That isn't verbatim but close. I couldn't figure out when it was said. Preskorn made the statement after losing to FH by multiple td's at homecoming. Interesting choice of words and leaves me thinking ones train of thought. In the end I hope for a successful and healthy season for the Cumberland teams. On November 7th nobody can predict what will be unleashed.

I think that quote was last year and it actually would reflect my feelings about the game. Alco hit hard and distinguished themselves as a young team against what I would consider to be the best 1A team I have seen. The more I think on it, the more I believe it could have beaten the best of the Dunbar teams. This all boils down to the point that I have been poorly trying to make. I would not have scheduled this year's FH schedule to be played with last year's team. We can talk all night about a great bunch of kids, coaching and a weight room. But in the end - as the much maligned Rumsfeld said - "You go to war with the army you have." If you went to war last year in the championship game without Barnes or Johnson I don't think you win.

I know I play devils advocate. But hey. What is an Alco grad going to do but offer other opinions and look optimistically on Allegany's chances this year. Bottom line, I think Alco is set up to succeed and FH has somehow set themselves up to fail. Hope not. But if you look at 1A football pragmatically the number one enemy is an injury. Look at the stupid roster and salary caps in pro football - even at that level one injury could mean a losing season. In 1A you might not have an experienced body to put in a key position after playing FH's schedule. Well, I have driven this issue into the ground. Best of luck to FH against Clearfield.

I don't necessarily think this was the schedule they wanted but had to take because of all the things Todd H has discussed in the past.

I don't necessarily think this was the schedule they wanted but had to take because of all the things Todd H has discussed in the past.

Bingo. I don't blame Todd. It is what it is. I just hope that the oldster red-jacket brigade gains some perspective and stops complaining about the value of their $5 ticket price for the seats they don't sit in as they hug the rail near the pizza stand on the visitor side.... (a little humor there).

If FH doesn't make the playoffs this yr i will retract my statement about this being a good sked bc it will have been a catastrophicly brutal one. I think they'll handle it with some lumps along the way. I for one dont buy into the injury scenario. Its an unfortunate part of the game. Ty went down during the championship game (as did the opposing teams stud d lineman) and FH kept plugging away. Its next man up, no excuses! And like previously mentioned, at all levels you see players go down with injuries. The well coached teams with senior leadership all play and coach a little harder!

Nobody is making an injury excuse but no matter what you think there are teams that are great as a whole but injuries bring them down to average. FH has been blessed with talent in recent years and I'd love for that to continue. My comments regarding injury applies to any team. Not just FH. Sure there will be years that a team can endure a big injury and years that it can't. It's not an excuse, it is reality of how deep talent goes.

If FH doesn't make the playoffs this yr i will retract my statement about this being a good sked bc it will have been a catastrophicly brutal one. I think they'll handle it with some lumps along the way. I for one dont buy into the injury scenario. Its an unfortunate part of the game. Ty went down during the championship game (as did the opposing teams stud d lineman) and FH kept plugging away. Its next man up, no excuses! And like previously mentioned, at all levels you see players go down with injuries. The well coached teams with senior leadership all play and coach a little harder!

Ty went down late in the game and returned. Next man up is a laughable concept in 1A. I mentioned pro football only in relation to pointing out a contact sport with limited rosters. A pro team can sign somebody. Pray tell me how senior leadership and coaching gets you more size and speed in 1A? For most 1A teams you can sit in the stands and pick out the starters before the game. I gather if things get bumpy for FH you will blame the coaching staff first and then the seniors on the team. Gee! that would mean that Appel would go from a god to a goat.

I think FH will be just fine. I have the utmost confidence in the team, program, and what they can do. Only time and the good Lord knows what's going to happen and I'm not close enough to him to tell me.

I think FH will be just fine. I have the utmost confidence in the team, program, and what they can do. Only time and the good Lord knows what's going to happen and I'm not close enough to him to tell me.

Amen. I have the same confidence. You will notice that my edge is almost always directed toward Allegany coaching and some selected FH fans. But hey! It's a forum and my edge usually keeps things a little bit more lively.

Mr. Lag, Ty was 1st injured i believe in the 3rd quarter, when he went out did FH look average to u? Certainly not me. Now, there wasn't a person on that field that could do what he could do and yet the beat went on. "Pray tell me how senior leadership and coaching gets you more size and speed in 1A?" Its very simple! Its called an offseason work! You think every team in America is working out to get smaller and slower? FH just does it at another level! Hence the coaching and leadership! Ive heard the complaints about Prescorn for yrs now and that's one of the biggest differences btwn he and Apple!

Mr. Lag, Ty was 1st injured i believe in the 3rd quarter, when he went out did FH look average to u? Certainly not me. Now, there wasn't a person on that field that could do what he could do and yet the beat went on. "Pray tell me how senior leadership and coaching gets you more size and speed in 1A?" Its very simple! Its called an offseason work! You think every team in America is working out to get smaller and slower? FH just does it at another level! Hence the coaching and leadership! Ive heard the complaints about Prescorn for yrs now and that's one of the biggest differences btwn he and Apple!

Believe as you want. Coach 'em up to be bigger and faster than Martinsburg. And when one goes down coach up the next one and the next one. Who cares about the enrollment size, athletic ability or body count! Hell, when you need a player why not coach one up out of thin air?

And concerning the championship game, the game was out of reach by then. And... and Ty did return. And... and please notice my actual post. I never posted that the team would be average. Here's the quote: "If you went to war last year in the championship game without Barnes or Johnson I don't think you win." We good?

Stuck on Martinsburg much? Lol, if players can't get bigger or faster why do they bother to workout? So let me get this straight, when a player gets injured during a game the coach is suppose to throw his hands up in the air and say "aww man, were done, the game is over. Lil jimmy just stay on the sidelines, ur not as good as so and so and i didn't prepare you for this, we're doomed!"? And the remaining players r supposed to just pack it in? That's a losers mentality! If FH loses a game i wouldn't blame Todd or the seniors, i would blame the opposing team who was better that given day, no excuses!

And to the championship game. What was the scoring break down before and after Ty went out.....i bet you didn't see much difference huh? Ty is one of the All Time greats at FH yet they kept playing, imagine that.

Lag u wanna be ebully, u might have ur buddies fooled but not I! Ur the biggest loud mouth on this board, alway have been! All u do is talk trash, every single post is a negative one! If somebody doesn't agree with u u get all emotional like a female on her period! Mouth all mighty, if I had an issue with someone like u do with Prescorn, i would've been approached him. But not u Lag, u rather come online act tuff and talk like u could do better!

And Green please elaborate, I'm still waiting on FH89 response!

What, no elaboration? I have no qualms with you or anybody else buddy, but if ur gonna try and insult someone's intelligence at least have the decency to educate them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT