ADVERTISEMENT

What Can We Do To Impress Sherando Next Year?

Seasoned Lettuce

All State Poster
Jul 28, 2015
OK, this is only a semi-serious question, but I'm asking it anyway.

First, I'll say that the "Greenway Experience" is a good one, for home and visiting fans alike. The atmosphere of a crowded Greenway on a Friday night with the horn blowing and the crowd and the band and the pizza and Dave Christopher yelling "hey fumble," well, it's great, absolutely great. As the Hagerstown sportswriter quipped, Greenway is a "venerable home field.....[that]doubles as a football torture chamber."

That being said, anyone who was at the Fort Hill/Sherando game this year in Stephen's City knows that Sherando's atmosphere, to include hours before kickoff, was outstanding, absolutely outstanding, that was as memorable a football game as I've seen. Getting out of the car hours before kickoff, not being able to actually see the Stadium because of the trees but hearing that Indian Drumbeat, I think I even saw smoke rising, man, that was badazz. May have got annoying, and it did, but it was badazz. Then of course came the Indian on the horse riding down off the hill onto the field, man, that was surreal. Everything was great, the fans, the facilities.

So my semi-serious question is, what can we do to amp up the atmosphere at Greenway for the Fort Hill/Sherando game next year? Someone in another thread had mentioned someone riding one of the band 4 wheelers onto the field doing a wheelie, lol, I don't know. Do we blow the train horn continuously for hours prior to kickoff, have Dave Christopher parachute onto the field in his Fort Hill van, fly Coach Appel in on the Medevac and land at the 50 yard line, pipe in the smell of Seasoned Lettuce into the Stadium, have Gino from Coney Island handing out free wieners lined up his arm to his armpit? What can we do. Really looking forward to this game.

In retrospect, that Fort Hill/Sherando game would have been perfect for a High School Football Documentary: Fort Hill the celebrated but small school underdog, Sherando with the big school and the D1 recruit, the atmosphere, the fan bases, the way the game turned out, man, talk about one heck of a story.

Get KISS to play at halftime! Why would you want to change our tradition??

I wonder if we could get Lady Gaga to dress as a Sentinelette and high kick her way down the 52 steps singing the National Anthem. If not Lady Gaga, maybe we could get William Hung or Ruben Studdard, but they wouldn't necessarily have to dress as Sentinelettes, that would be optional.

FH Old Timers Red &White game starts at 5:00 as a warm up. Mike Hast still playing nose guard. Hare and Manges as opposing QBs. I'll volunteer at pulling guard for the Red Team if they put black back in the uniforms again, just no guarantee I can get to the trap block before the ball carrier.

Great idea Todd. I remember watching an Oldtimers game that included Hast and Hare. Maybe Todd Appel could join you as the other pulling guard.

Lol, only about ten teams in our area doing some version of that entrance down here. Truly speaking though, your team is impressive enough because of tradition and quality of play on the field. Why change just to try and impress one team. Kind of silly don't you think? If the Warriors were not impressed enough last season with that second half performance then they shouldn't even be coming up to Cumberland.

Reactions: c2953jep044
Get the Duck Dynasty guys to make an appearance. Oh wait, we already have enough of those guys in the stands according to Bruce Cunningham of The CW Baltimore.

Reactions: towpath94
Good discussion here folks. For the record, I for one realize that we don't need to do anything other than what we already do to be impressive. While I'm poking fun at "us" for sure, I am serious when I talk about the Sherando atmosphere, man it was great. I don't know that I've ever been to a more enjoyable football game, with the outcome and all of course.

Reactions: sentinel-nurse
Get the Duck Dynasty guys to make an appearance. Oh wait, we already have enough of those guys in the stands according to Bruce Cunningham of The CW Baltimore.
Those announcers are the worst. When I watch the games on dvd, I usually turn the sound off.

Agree with "hamspear", if they weren't impressed by The Big Red Machine last year, there's nothing that's gonna impress them this year. Let's just hope for good weather and an injury free squad, that's the key issue with a team that plays so physical. Ought to be a standing room only that night, better get there early!

Reactions: sentinel-nurse
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT