ADVERTISEMENT

Watch Live Wadsworth at Fort Hill

omg, listening to the FH fans in the background is crazy... just think this is being live streamed back to Ohio and is on their local TV
With all of these penalties, I could see this team packing up and going back to Ohio, another Dunbar DC situation without the other accusations.

• Haha
Reactions: everyones-an-expert
omg, listening to the FH fans in the background is crazy... just think this is being live streamed back to Ohio and is on their local TV
With all of these penalties, I could see this team packing up and going back to Ohio, another Dunbar DC situation without the other accusations.
They, Wadsworth fans et al, didn't know what they were in for!

Wadsworth got serious in the second half. I’ve never seen FH give up 28 unanswered before. Good job to the Sentinels for pulling off the game winning drive and 2-pt conversion. Major gut check moment!

Reactions: Tony54 and Dwj21
Wadsworth got serious in the second half. I’ve never seen FH give up 28 unanswered before. Good job to the Sentinels for pulling off the game winning drive and 2-pt conversion. Major gut check moment!
I doubt they'll have another moment like that the rest of that way. Great job Sentinels!

Reactions: Tony54 and Argox66
If it were my call, there would be no live streaming out of Greenway. Period. No NFHS, no visitor stream, etc. I've had this debate before about what it means for gate receipts. Local people who don't want to attend the game can listen to the radio. No fans in the stands today, Wadsworth brought just as many fans. I realize the weather hurts the local aging fan base but enough. Pay for a ticket or sorry about your luck.

If it were my call, there would be no live streaming out of Greenway. Period. No NFHS, no visitor stream, etc. I've had this debate before about what it means for gate receipts. Local people who don't want to attend the game can listen to the radio. No fans in the stands today, Wadsworth brought just as many fans. I realize the weather hurts the local aging fan base but enough. Pay for a ticket or sorry about your luck.
I agree with it. The only problem is for the fans that aren't still living in the area. It is hard to come to 9 games a year.

Game time hurt too. Peewee and CAYFL games today.

I agree that live steaming kills revenue. Even with the NHFS prescription fee the school only gets a portion and then there is no concession revenue from the couch fan. The games should not be aired live. Have old style FCC blackout rule.

I also agree that the game time kept fans and kids away. I left a Pee Wee game at 1030am to get changed into new clothes due to being drenched to get to the FH game. My son’s C Team game was over but if he played for the A or B team I would have missed at least the first quarter or half of the FH game. At that point we wouldn’t have gone.

I drove from Virginia Beach for this game. Let me tell you it was worth it.😂
Everyone got their money's worth.
There were more FH fans on the visitors side (as usual) than the visiting fans and Wadsworth folk didn't care for it. Also, there were plenty of people standing that didn't want a couple hours worth of wet underoos. Considering the weather and other conflicts with an afternoon game--it wasn't a bad crowd. They ran out of most items on the visitors side concessions at half, so the crowd exceeded someone's expectations.

Reactions: ravemwp
Everyone got their money's worth.

There were more FH fans on the visitors side (as usual) than the visiting fans and Wadsworth folk didn't care for it. Also, there were plenty of people standing that didn't want a couple hours worth of wet underoos. Considering the weather and other conflicts with an afternoon game--it wasn't a bad crowd. They ran out of most items on the visitors side concessions at half, so the crowd exceeded someone's expectations.
Yes I noticed FH fans on the visitor side as well.

There are a number of fans that buy season tickets and either don’t go to every game, or choose to sit on the away side or stand on the visitor side upper area with their friends. In both cases, tickets were purchased. Simply judging the number or people in the home seats is not a true indicator.

Reactions: Tony54 and ravemwp
Speaking of running out of stuff in the visitors concessions, I went to the window at 12:30 and they were already out of pepperoni rolls. If I weren't the kinda guy who eats too many pepperoni rolls...I might've walked over to the home side for one. But ...I got cheese fries. Lol

I drove from Virginia Beach for this game. Let me tell you it was worth it.😂
This is very true. It would have been a hell of a game to go see.

Mountain Ridge has already had two great games as well. The problem is… these days… those games are far and few between. Living three hours away from Frostburg isn’t that bad of a drive. To do it for 9+ weekends straight, a bit much. And I know that some of the games are shorter and some longer. Just averaging it out to three hours.

playing a Saturday afternoon game is what hurt the crowd, a good team on a Friday night and the stands would've been packed. NFHS pays the school money at least... although Today They streamed the NFHS stream for free which is probably not right but No more people are gonna come to the games than already do. I mean there's really not that many people living in the city anymore and many just do other things these days. I will pay $70 a year but not gonna sit out in the elements ever to watch a high school game at my age.

That crowd was as low as it gets. Worse knowing what a big game this was. No one lives here anymore. The majority of those who do are over 70 years young. Didn't rain really but it was a little wet out. I get it.

There were just as many fans at the pee wee games today. That's not a joke. When scheduling Saturday games, early isn't the way to go. You lose those people as they have to be with their kids. Homecoming is different to a degree.

There is no answer really. But FH can never poke at Alco crowds like they used to because simply put no one goes to FH games either. Used to be an argument it was because of poor scheduling. No one wanted to see a blow out game. No, that was not the reason. People dont show up regardless. No one lives here anymore and students are more interested in living through cell phones and video games. The rest would rather watch a robot camera with NHFS and never leave the safety of their home high speed internet.

If Commercial Video cannot do live stream then neither should NHFS or the visiting team. Standard Board of Education clown circus.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigdawgrefwmd
That crowd was as low as it gets. Worse knowing what a big game this was. No one lives here anymore. The majority of those who do are over 70 years young. Didn't rain really but it was a little wet out. I get it.

There were just as many fans at the pee wee games today. That's not a joke. When scheduling Saturday games, early isn't the way to go. You lose those people as they have to be with their kids. Homecoming is different to a degree.

There is no answer really. But FH can never poke at Alco crowds like they used to because simply put no one goes to FH games either. Used to be an argument it was because of poor scheduling. No one wanted to see a blow out game. No, that was not the reason. People dont show up regardless. No one lives here anymore and students are more interested in living through cell phones and video games. The rest would rather watch a robot camera with NHFS and never leave the safety of their home high speed internet.

If Commercial Video cannot do live stream then neither should NHFS or the visiting team. Standard Board of Education clown circus.
the small difference is commercial video is trying to sell ads and make money doing the games while NFHS is not and $70 a years is worth it for the games you can watch.
Fort Hill should sell access to the games and not allow 3 radio stations to carry the game for free...
I agree that there just isn't many people living in Cumberland anymore, that has more to do with the people that are running the County and city, I mean I had a city councilman tell me we had some great fine dining on the downtown mall, I mean seriously come on dude... nobody goes downtown for dinner other than a few that like bar food. I wouldn't go downtown for anything other than pulling up to the window at Coney Island...
Cumberland is going to be much worse in the next few years, they bought properties in Park Street and they built a building that will probably never have a business in it. Not only is jobs in Cumberland bad but we have people representing us that live in the 50's and don't want companies or commercial businesses coming to the area. I mean if Baltimore street grill and Mezzo's is considered fine dining, I will continue to drive out of town 3 nights a weeks for dinner

• Haha
Reactions: Dwj21
the small difference is commercial video is trying to sell ads and make money doing the games while NFHS is not and $70 a years is worth it for the games you can watch.
Fort Hill should sell access to the games and not allow 3 radio stations to carry the game for free...
I agree that there just isn't many people living in Cumberland anymore, that has more to do with the people that are running the County and city, I mean I had a city councilman tell me we had some great fine dining on the downtown mall, I mean seriously come on dude... nobody goes downtown for dinner other than a few that like bar food. I wouldn't go downtown for anything other than pulling up to the window at Coney Island...
Cumberland is going to be much worse in the next few years, they bought properties in Park Street and they built a building that will probably never have a business in it. Not only is jobs in Cumberland bad but we have people representing us that live in the 50's and don't want companies or commercial businesses coming to the area. I mean if Baltimore street grill and Mezzo's is considered fine dining, I will continue to drive out of town 3 nights a weeks for dinner
This is really an out of touch comment.

First, I will put Ottaviani’s up against most places I have eaten across the U.S. I would also put Jin’s sushi at or near the top of the list, too.

What is the difference between multiple radio stations selling advertisements to announce a game than Commercial Video doing the same?

I do give Rock of WCBC credit because he always encourages people to come to the stadium early in each broadcast.

My 2 cent. Not only did the game time hurt attendance, but scheduling a team from 4 hours away with no name recognition hurt also. You can hype a team up all you want on Mdvarsity but I'm sure this year was the first time most people from the area heard of "Wadsworth". Without name recognition you're going to have a hard time filling the seats with locals. Especially if the opposing fans have to drive 4 hours. I'm sure alot of them also didn't make the trip bc of travel distance.

Reactions: 3rd and goals
My 2 cent. Not only did the game time hurt attendance, but scheduling a team from 4 hours away with no name recognition hurt also. You can hype a team up all you want on Mdvarsity but I'm sure this year was the first time most people from the area heard of "Wadsworth". Without name recognition you're going to have a hard time filling the seats with locals. Especially if the opposing fans have to drive 4 hours. I'm sure alot of them also didn't make the trip bc of travel distance.
There was no name recognition as well as no area recognition. No one cares about Ohio and no one certainly cares about a team from Ohio. The weather sucked and game time didn’t do any favors because I was anticipating a big frostburg turn out that didn’t happen. If it’s a big game then it will always rain certainly seems follow FH around for the last 5 years

Folks in this county are just down-right funny and unsatisfied.

How many heard of Cathedral Prep from FL a few years back? I certainly did not.

As mentioned, the reality is it rained and most of the true local die-hard football fans have, well, died off.

In the early to mid 80s there were just under 20,000 students in grades 1-12 with a few in K. Today, there are a bit under 8,000 students in PK-12. That is adding essentially two more grade levels and there is 40% of the student population of 40 years ago.

Yes, unfortunately over that same 40 year period, many area football fans have gone to the great beyond.

People need to accept this reality for what it is and stop trying to find other reasons for a lack of attendance at football games - even one as good as yesterday’s.

I think FH’s dominance of the past decade has something to do with the crowd volume as well.

Reactions: Tony54
There was no name recognition as well as no area recognition. No one cares about Ohio and no one certainly cares about a team from Ohio. The weather sucked and game time didn’t do any favors because I was anticipating a big frostburg turn out that didn’t happen. If it’s a big game then it will always rain certainly seems follow FH around for the last 5 years

As mentioned, the reality is it rained and most of the true local die-hard football fans have, well, died off.

In the early to mid 80s there were just under 20,000 students in grades 1-12 with a few in K. Today, there are a bit under 8,000 students in PK-12. That is adding essentially two more grade levels and there is 40% of the student population of 40 years ago.

Yes, unfortunately over that same 40 year period, many area football fans have gone to the great beyond.

People need to accept this reality for what it is and stop trying to find other reasons for a lack of attendance at football games - even one as good as yesterday’s.
Right! And while the rain let up at game time, by that point, the folks who decided to stay home had already made that decision based upon it pouring all morning. And those attending the pee wee games that would normally come to Greenway after...well they probably had enough and went home to dry out. This isn't a complex matter. I put on the boots, rain coat, and grabbed the umbrella because I like our stadium environment. Heck, I had tix to the MD game and chose FH in person. But I watched that game and others from home. It was the Terps homecoming and the cameras wouldn't show the crowd....bc there wasn't a crowd. In a few weeks I could've sang "cold November rain". Shucks. A missed opportunity

No one had heard of melbourne but being from florida added excitement just like no one has heard of wadsworth but being from Ohio doesn’t exactly scream exciting

Last edited:
I'm finding it interesting that there is as much conversation about the attendance, as there is about the game itself on this message board. Go figure.
If FH had lost the board would’ve crashed but since FH won it’s just another day. Need to have something else to talk about after the game

Reactions: Waggle Pass
First, I will put Ottaviani’s up against most places I have eaten across the U.S. I would also put Jin’s sushi at or near the top of the list, too.

What is the difference between multiple radio stations selling advertisements to announce a game than Commercial Video doing the same?

I do give Rock of WCBC credit because he always encourages people to come to the stadium early in each broadcast.
I have heard from people on the internet that Ottaviani's is pretty good, I don't know of anyone that goes downtown really at all. I stay away from it other than Coney Island if there is a place to pull in quick. Jin's I wouldn't eat there at all as they were using fish from the Potomac river and got in trouble by the Health Dept. Thanks but No Thanks...
I know when friends come from Hagerstown, Winchester and Altoona they laugh that we don't have better places to eat or shop.
In my comments about the TV, I'm responding to where Todd said about not allowing a TV broadcasts of any kind, I get it the radio sell advertising but if they took bids on who does FH or Alco and they have to pay a fee each game the school would actually make some money. I'm not sure what they get from NFHS but at least it's something.

If you're speaking of "Cathedral Prep" from Erie. Alot of people have heard of them. They're traditionally a Pennsylvania power and I believe were ranked #2 in Pa at the time they played FH. If you hadn't heard of them being from this area I would question how much you follow HS football outside of Cumberland. As for Melbourne FL. I believe that they had a few D1 prospects, I believe they may have been a private school and they came all the way from FL. to play on a clear Saturday night with no other games going on in the area. Big difference from playing a no name OH school from 4 hrs away, in the rain midday Saturday..

Last edited:
TV and radio have been broadcasting the games at Greenway for many decades. Heck, I’m in my 33rd year. For many of those years, there were great crowds, There were also more local match-ups (Frankfort, BW, etc.) and rivalries (Martinsburg, for example). More population in the schools and in the counties. Many factors attribute to a turnout less than “the good old days”. But one thing is a constant. The decades of TV and radio broadcasts through good and bad crowds. Tell me again how broadcasting the games is the problem?

On a lighter note, times are REALLY changing! Standing on the visitors, side there were many teens from Ohio...and most were wearing bedroom slippers! Fuzzy ones, slip ons, animal ones, even with the cold and rain. Styes and times have changed!

The attendance is really a shame. When I watch games in North Carolina, the school kids have their face painted and it’s a really big show. They are rowdy and they show up in force. I went on Friday night to see Oakdale and Alco. That game was ultimately rained out that night but Oakdale kids had their shirts off and were all painted up and they were extremely excited about that game.. at Fort Hill I don’t see any of this
I also believe the patriots should be at every game in their uniforms.
I was on Wadsworth side standing at the fence and I can tell you most of the red jackets in that stadium were from Wadsworth fans.
It’s just all around sad.

I have heard from people on the internet that Ottaviani's is pretty good, I don't know of anyone that goes downtown really at all. I stay away from it other than Coney Island if there is a place to pull in quick. Jin's I wouldn't eat there at all as they were using fish from the Potomac river and got in trouble by the Health Dept. Thanks but No Thanks...
I know when friends come from Hagerstown, Winchester and Altoona they laugh that we don't have better places to eat or shop.
In my comments about the TV, I'm responding to where Todd said about not allowing a TV broadcasts of any kind, I get it the radio sell advertising but if they took bids on who does FH or Alco and they have to pay a fee each game the school would actually make some money. I'm not sure what they get from NFHS but at least it's something.
Downtown in the evenings, especially on weekends, is usually a good crowd. Even moreso in the warm months. The Collective, Mis En Place, Ottavianis, JZs, Azads all have something going on most evenings. And that's just the places on Centre Street. With the mall torn up right now, the main thoroughfare is a bit of a mess.

But it's completely wrong to say no one goes down there. The block of centre st between Baltimore and Frederick Streets was busy every weekend this summer.

Ridiculously out of touch.
It’s just a fact. Fort Hill fans are spoiled. The crowds are bigger at the games I go to in Virginia and North Carolina . The teams aren’t nearly as good as Fort Hill also.
Plus, there’s a lot more to do down there. As Cumberland literally has nothing to do on the Friday night and people still don’t go. Fans in Cumberland are a joke. Thank God the football team still great. Just facts.
I didn’t understand why Coach Appel was always so upset about Cumberland fans but I get it now.

Last edited:

This is about as logical as I could have stated. No one lives in this area any more and we (including myself) just have to accept it. All businesses (still open or closed) deal with it. Alco and FH deal with it. Bishop Walsh struggles just to stay open, we have 4 Dapper Dan teams, 14 kids on the sidelines for many football games, etc.

Does streaming or radio dent the gate? Yes, but not significantly enough to warrant my rants. I can admit that. Does the name of the opponent dent the game? Maybe a little but that is NO WAY the main reason. Semifinal games are empty seats, good teams from Ohio, undefeated teams coming here next week from New Oxford, Morgantown, Oakdale, etc., they all have low attendance...does not matter.

Once again, no one lives here anymore and those who do stare at cell phones. Radio and TV coverage 15-20 years ago is not comparable to the 2023 Cumberland status quo.

Reactions: 52 to victory
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT