ADVERTISEMENT

Top 25 high school basketball poll

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
Latest Top 25 high school hoops national poll. Every poll is different. Never understood why some teams included while not others. Don't care, but here is the Max Preps version.

326130652_698656445086484_7977326957439160818_n.jpg

MaxPreps is the most inconsistent of all the rankings, IMO. This is probably based on the algorithm they use, the fact that teams records are not accurately reported, etc. That being said, I don't like leaning 100% on the SCNext top-25 as well. I think you really need some mix. I think PVI is definitely top-5. Hands down. All the rankings basically agree on that. Link Academy isn't even in the top-15 here yet they are pretty much number 1 or 2 in every other ranking.

This is a more accurate ranking (although St Johns lost to PVI yesterday and plays Gonzaga on Friday):

HS Circuit Rankings

I won't swear that this is correct, but this is how it was explained to me. MaxPreps rankings use only traditional high school teams, teams that may play in some showcases, but the bulk of their schedule is made up of traditional local league play. i.e. Paul VI, DC Catholic League, Mt. St. Joe, Baltimore Catholic League etc. etc. Where as SCNext top 25 includes both the traditional and non-traditional basketball factories such as IMG, Sunrise, Montverde, Link etc.etc. Whom all play a pretty much national schedule.Not sure if anything has changed in the last couple of years, but I was given that info from a guy who was very into this, and a big follower of the aau circuit. I'm not sure how accurate any of these polls are, but my guess is that if you are mentioned in any of them, that you are a damn good basketball team.

Last edited:
Reactions: cumbfanatic
MaxPreps does a separate ranking for the boarding school programs:

Jason Rivera who was at Bishop Walsh last year is having a big season for John Marshall.
This post made me very curious as to what BW basketball could have looked like this year if some of the guys who were either here at one time and left, and or committed to come but never came. I did some research on a few. All would still be eligible this year.
Malik Bowman - playing for pay with Overtime Elite. Would probably be a top ranked forward in the class of 2023.
Jason Rivera Torres - Playing for nationally ranked John Marshall. Ranked #7 player in Virginia class of 2023.
Luke McEldon - 6'10" center #14 2023 ranked player in New England. Santa Clara committ.
T.J. Robinson - #3 2024 player in New Jersey. Louisville committ.
Khani Rooths - Committed to BW, but changed his mind in late August to go to IMG, where he is a starter and ranked the #4 2024 player in Florida.
I do believe that local former players Mikey Allen, Chazz Imes, and a few other early departures that are still 2023 eligible, would be much better than this years version of the BW Elite team. I would also include this years Mike Williams, and Manny Okitondo, and I think this group as a whole would be much more competitive against the level of competition they play against. Such is life on a national level. Thanks for stirring my curiosity.

Last edited:
To me, if any poll including MaxPreps, is going to separate boarding schools from non-boarding schools -- or national schedules vs. a more traditional regional schedule -- then they should also separate public from private.

If the poll is not going to separate public from private then why are they separating anything? I agreee the best polls include everyone. Makes no sense.

Appreciate some of you clearing up my confusion.

MaxPreps is the most inconsistent of all the rankings, IMO. This is probably based on the algorithm they use, the fact that teams records are not accurately reported, etc. That being said, I don't like leaning 100% on the SCNext top-25 as well. I think you really need some mix. I think PVI is definitely top-5. Hands down. All the rankings basically agree on that. Link Academy isn't even in the top-15 here yet they are pretty much number 1 or 2 in every other ranking.

This is a more accurate ranking (although St Johns lost to PVI yesterday and plays Gonzaga on Friday):

HS Circuit Rankings

BTW Montverde pounded Link in the Metro Classic last night 84-58.

Reactions: cumbfanatic
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT