ADVERTISEMENT

TOP 10 FH SIGNATURE WINS since 2008

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
under Coach Appel obviously. The basketball thread got me curious but didn't feel it was pertinent to post this over there. I didn't count these as the toughest opponents per say but more of the biggest wins category. As an example, the 2012 season may have been one of the most challenging for FH, which in turn created a few memorable program wins. Feedback?

1. Frederick Douglass (Balt.) - 2013
The state championship monkey gets off the FH back versus a Baltimore City school. Ducks came in undefeated.

2. Sherando - 2015
The game that propelled FH into a three-peat state title. The first real test since Keyser loss versus an undefeated team in a hostile road environment.

3. Allegany - 2012 Playoff
One of the best coaching efforts with a struggling team. No one thought FH could beat Alco the first time yet alone do it again in the playoffs two weeks later. The OT win set the preview stage for great things to come.

4. Martinsburg - 2009
After a long layoff the larger Bulldogs came back on the schedule only to get trounced 41-14 at Greenway. It was the first sign this team might be exceptionally good although Alco proved otherwise in the playoffs.

5. Allegany - 2008 Homecoming
Coach Appel's first homecoming as head coach. Both teams coming in with an 8-1 record. FH repeated the victory again in the playoffs...both wins by 7 points or less.

6. Frederick Douglass (PG County) - 2008
One of the toughest opponents FH has beaten under Coach Appel. All this coming after a loss to Keyser and the Dunbar DC fiasco. It set the stage for a run to Ravens Stadium.

7. Frederick Douglass (Balt.) - 2014
A repeat second state title over a 12-1 Duck squad. The lopsided beat down put FH on the map as a championship Maryland power.

8. Allegany - 2015 Playoff
The winner was going to take home a state trophy. Beating Alco twice after a hard fought homecoming wasn't going to be easy.

9. Central (PA) - 2012
FH needed this win bad. After huge blow out defeats to Keyser and North Hagerstown this electrical Greenway win over a very good Central team re-established momentum big time.

10. Mountain Ridge - 2011
In the snow of Frostburg with Jarrod Harper on the other side, FH completely dismantled an unbeaten and possibly the best Mountain Ridge team of all time.

OTHERS
City College - 2008
Coach Appel's first ever game as a Sentinel head coach. This one was very tight all night.

Thomas Johnson - 2009
TJ had two Division 1 college players. FH traveled to Frederick and completely shut out the Govenors 12-0 with maybe the best defensive effort ever produced under this coaching staff.

Keyser - 2013
After getting crushed by Keyser the year prior in record fashion, the Golden Tornado returned most of their players. Although Keyser didn't finish the season very strong this was a marquee heavy weight match up early in the year that propelled FH to their first state title under Coach Appel.

Central - 2013
This Central team was better than the one FH beat the year before. But so was this FH team. The Western PA environment was electric too.

Kent Island - 2014
This game had been circled since summer. In a year of a light schedule this was the toughest opponent. Kent Island ended up losing in the Class 2A state semifinal game to Dunbar on a last second Hail Mary. FH laid the wood to Kent Island in their first ever match up.

Last edited:
great list. Me personally I'd have the Kent Island game somewhere in the top 10.

Slight correction--the 2010 Mountain Ridge game you reference was not a playoff game...it was a regular season game...and it was amazing.

Slight correction--the 2010 Mountain Ridge game you reference was not a playoff game...it was a regular season game...and it was amazing.

You're right Lettuce. And it was the 2011 regular season. I edited that. I don't think I have seen a FH team more amped up the week before a game like that one. That game was over before the ball was even put in play.

Which made the playoff loss to Perryville that year even tougher to swallow. 2011 was a year most of the FH faithful felt would get the state title monkey off the back. No guarantee they would have gone on to beat Dunbar the next week though. But still a hard loss the way it went down.

Don't forget that the TJ game was played in a monsoon.

Yep, I remember my umbrella got turned inside out at TJ. Although I still think the monsoon at Ligonier Valley was even crazier. The rain literally came down sideways. Too bad FH ran a fake extra point at the end of that game to keep the kicker from getting killed...it ended any chance FH had of ever playing their coach again :rolleyes:

I agree with towpath94, the Kent Island game should have been in the top five. Coming into the game they were (I believe) ranked second in 2A.

Ligonier Valley, wow..there was only one game in my history of watching FH football where I got more soaked and that was a late October game up at Southern HS in maybe the late 90's or so. The same night a gust of wind almost toppled the WTBO scaffolding and knocked Jerry Calhoun into oblivion.

Reactions: towpath94
Ligonier Valley was in many ways the ultimate road game, loved the buildup and the town and the drive and the restaurant..........but the rain sucked, bad.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT