ADVERTISEMENT

Times-News Participation Awards announced

BrianH1974

Blue Chip Poster
May 2, 2005
The Times News selected Swan and Pua'auli as football co-players of the year today. Crabtree and Brehm as co-players of the year on defense. Two players soon to be announced as co-players of the year on offense, likely more FH kids.

I'm not going to argue that all of these fine young mens are not worthy. They are. But let's be honest with where society is today. Everything has become a participation trophy because we can't have someone get their feelings hurt. If someone diesnt get something they want all hell breaks out and we get what the country has sadly become today. On the same token, there have been many young men the past 45 years that have also been worthy of these awards that didn't have the luxury of co-player distinction because our society was not as easily offended.

If the newpaper is correct, since 1973 the player of the year award has only been shared twice. But the last 3 yeers in a row it has been a Co-award. Now all 3 awards are Co awards. Six kids for 3 awards. I nominate we have a Tri-Player of the Year. Or maybe four players named defensive player of the year. The kids deserve it, don't you think? If anyone should be offended now it's that the Swietzer kid at Southern wasn't named co-Lineman of the year. He was a beast. No wonder Southern feels they way they do. Why wasn't the Frankfort coach co-coach of the year after the crap he went through only to suceed? No wonder people hate FH. I'm a FH guy too. But I'm willing to bet every single FH player makes the all-area team as the coaches demand it to be so. I'm ok with it and where society is with these things so don't think I'm complaining yet again. But the Times News needs to make it clear that this is where they stand from here on out. They have no room to bitch about not being able to mention the losing pitcher in a baseball game anymore. They cannot complain about youth league football parents being nuts. They are officially a cause of this process and everyone is happy. Except my kid didn't get an award while many others did.

Last edited:
The Times News selected Swan and Pua'auli as football co-players of the year today. Crabtree and Brehm as co-players of the year on defense. Two players soon to be announced as co-players of the year on offense, likely more FH kids.

I'm not going to argue that all of these fine young mens are not worthy. They are. But let's be honest with where society is today. Everything has become a participation trophy because we can't have someone get their feelings hurt. If someone diesnt get something they want all hell breaks out and we get what the country has sadly become today. On the same token, there have been many young men the past 45 years that have also been worthy of these awards that didn't have the luxury of co-player distinction because our society was not as easily offended.

If the newpaper is correct, since 1973 the player of the year award has only been shared twice. But the last 3 yeers in a row it has been a Co-award. Now all 3 awards are Co awards. Six kids for 3 awards. I nominate we have a Tri-Player of the Year. Or maybe four players named defensive player of the year. The kids deserve it, don't you think? If anyone should be offended now it's that the Swietzer kid at Southern wasn't named co-Lineman of the year. He was a beast. No wonder Southern feels they way they do. Why wasn't the Frankfort coach co-coach of the year after the crap he went through only to suceed? No wonder people hate FH. I'm a FH guy too. But I'm willing to bet every single FH player makes the all-area team as the coaches demand it to be so. I'm ok with it and where society is with these things so don't think I'm complaining yet again. But the Times News needs to make it clear that this is where they stand from here on out. They have no room to bitch about not being able to mention the losing pitcher in a baseball game anymore. They cannot complain about youth league football parents being nuts. They are officially a cause of this process and everyone is happy. Except my kid didn't get an award while many others did.

You're right about Whiteman and despite what happened this year, Nazelrod should have been COY last season for bringing Southern back from the dead.

I agree. Enough with the "Co" stuff. Pick a definite winner for these awards. At this rate the only singular award that will be given is to Trimble for LOY

You're right about Whiteman and despite what happened this year, Nazelrod should have been COY last season for bringing Southern back from the dead.

Here's an idea. Get a job at Times News and you can vote for who you want to.

Yeah, it's getting ridiculous. At some point just make a decision and stand by it whether or not it's popular. If Fort Hill sweeps the awards so be it. Let people complain, but the co-player awards every year is becoming a joke. I understand all the players have worked hard and deserve to be recognized, there's no dishonor in coming in second place for an award.

It's a joke and has been for a few years. I called it the same 2-3 years ago when the co shit started. It's obvious there isn't any voting unless it is 2 people voting otherwise its impossible to have all of these ties in voting.

People don't realize that doing this waters down all the awards. It is pointless to have them when they do this dumb shit. I said the same thing about the FH football awards the last few years that the team does. If you cheapen one award you cheapen them all.

It's a joke and has been for a few years. I called it the same 2-3 years ago when the co shit started. It's obvious there isn't any voting unless it is 2 people voting otherwise its impossible to have all of these ties in voting.

People don't realize that doing this waters down all the awards. It is pointless to have them when they do this dumb shit. I said the same thing about the FH football awards the last few years that the team does. If you cheapen one award you cheapen them all.
I agree. The whole "Co" thing seriously waters down the value of the award. Pick a singular winner, or don't do them at all.

Reactions: towpath94
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT