ADVERTISEMENT

Time for Fort Hill to feed the Beast.

ravemwp

All State Poster
Jul 29, 2022
It's now time for the 2nd season. Fort Hills path to a state championship must include 1)reduction major penalties. Absolute killers. 2) While it as great to be diversified, and have depth at the skill positions, it's now time to feed Allen, and Willis the ball. They are arguably the 2 best athletes in the county. Time to showcase them. They both need 12-15 touches at the very least, even more if possible. The MR game, and Allegany game, not sure if they had that many touches combined. No more time for experimenting. Feed the Beasts you have. Win or lose throwing your best punch, or 1-2 punch combo. Just one man's opinion.

ARMCHAIR QB
That's all. I say this because we all play armchair QB even while watching NFL games. TDHelmick is not a coach.

The FH defense is why they win games this season. The Alco offense did a good job in the first half being more physical and out positioning the front. Once the FH defense adjusted late 2nd quarter they shut Alco down. I believe that too is why Alco came out in the 2nd half under center which didn't work either. Also because Bratton was getting exhausted like any normal human being giving his all would deal with. A homecoming record 34 carries? That's crazy.

At homecoming however, the speed and athletic difference was the red elephant in the room.

I would not be so quick to dismiss the fact Alco is a pretty decent ball club. Playing much better since that 1-2 start. In fact I will go so far to say that Alco is the 3rd best team in all of Class 1A.

The FH issues have been on offense in tough games. Here is what I see in the nutshell:

The main issue is guard/center and fullback. Yet the prime play selection is the fullback between the guard/center. It gets shut down almost completely vs solid defenses that know how to scheme FH. Since traps and hit its while establishing the fullback has been the bread and butter forever on the Hill, even though its not there in 2022 it keeps getting dialed up a lot. If it did not work 6 plays in a row there is no need to keep dialing it up 6 more times. It's a huge problem when the wing T cannot establish the fullback and that is what's happening.

There is no question who the best athlete is on the field for FH offensively. He gets the ball 18 times a game in my armchair world whether it has to be a handoff or a short toss in the slot. Not sure how many touches he got at homecoming (not that many) but two of them represented the only offensive scores of the game for the team in red.

I've said all year #20 is a tremendous back, just not built for fullback if the hole ain't there. It's hurting by keeping FH behind the chains. Forcing obvious passing situations on third down yesterday.

FH throws best when it's not obvious passing downs, play action, toss it. Not out of shot gun. Just see 2nd play of the homecoming game. I don't know why but the majority of all passes have been 20-30 yards down field. The short passes have been the most successful but for some reason only represents about less than one-third of the selection. Mtn Ridge was giving 20 yard cushions on FH receivers pre snap but FH kept going deep. Even in the red zone.

All this still has put FH in an 8-1 record against an extremely brutal schedule for a 1A team despite glaring weaknesses offensively. Can't always be Superman with no kryptonite every year. But a lot of grumbling yesterday evening on the South side of town. Probably because most know in their gut Mtn Ridge beats both these Cumberland teams soundly with out changes. Everyone else in 1A yes.

Last edited:
This isn't a normal FH team. Not really physical at all, it showed a couple weeks ago. And it reared its head again yesterday. Alkire admitted as much in an interview: "We're not necessarily a physical team... We do a lot of finesse". I mean what the ****, but nevertheless. Here's the problem they don't play the "finesse" style nearly well enough. And they still try to hang on a bit to what's worked for a million years, knowing it takes a physical team and style of play. While the head coach is full on admitting that the team isn't really all that physical?

FH is gonna have trouble winning either of the potential rematches with the local teams.

Reactions: Dorito88
ARMCHAIR QB
That's all. I say this because we all play armchair QB even while watching NFL games. TDHelmick is not a coach.

The FH defense is why they win games this season. The Alco offense did a good job in the first half being more physical and out positioning the front. Once the FH defense adjusted late 2nd quarter they shut Alco down. I believe that too is why Alco came out in the 2nd half under center which didn't work either. Also because Bratton was getting exhausted like any normal human being giving his all would deal with.

At homecoming however, the speed and athletic difference was the red elephant in the room.

I would not be so quick to dismiss the fact Alco is a pretty decent ball club. Playing much better since that 1-2 start. In fact I will go so far to say that Alco is the 3rd best team in all of Class 1A.

The FH issues have been on offense in tough games. Here is what I see in the nutshell:

The issue is guard/center and fullback. Yet the prime play selection is the fullback between the guard/center. It gets shut down almost completely vs solid defenses that know how to scheme FH. Since traps and hit its while establishing the fullback has been the bread and butter forever on the Hill, even though its not there in 2022 it keeps getting dialed up a lot. If it did not work 6 plays in a row there is no need to keep dialing it up 6 more times. It's a huge problem when the wing T cannot establish the fullback and that is what's happening.

There is no question who the best athlete is on the field for FH offensively. He gets the ball 18 times a game in my armchair world whether it has to be a handoff or a short toss in the slot. Not sure how many touches he got at homecoming (not that many) but two of them represented the only offensive scores of the game for the team in red.

I've said all year #20 is a tremendous back, just not built for fullback if the hole ain't there. It's hurting by keeping FH behind the chains. Forcing obvious passing situations on third down yesterday.

FH throws best when it's not obvious passing downs, play action, toss it. Not out of shot gun. Just see 2nd play of the homecoming game. I don't know why but the majority of all passes have been 20-30 yards down field. The short passes have been the most successful but for some reason only represents about less than one-third of the selection. Mtn Ridge was giving 20 yard cushions on FH receivers pre snap but FH kept going deep. Even in the red zone.

All this still has put FH in an 8-1 record against an extremely brutal schedule for a 1A team despite glaring weaknesses offensively. Can't always be Superman with no cryptonite every year. But a lot of grumbling yesterday evening on the South side of town. Probably because most know in their gut Mtn Ridge beats both these Cumberland teams soundly with out changes. Everyone else in 1A yes.

All this points to the OC. Is he either too stubborn to make changes or too stupid?

Welsh at Fullback along with Daniels. Establish that then have fun with Allen Willis and wertz. It’s not hard…. If the line is as bad as what’s being said on here, help them out with screens and draws. Can you imagine Mikey going to work using defensive penetration against them

Reactions: 4R341 and ravemwp
There is no need to make wholesale drastic changes to everything FH has done in record fashion just to avoid the kryptonite when you are 8-1 against the toughest schedule from Class 3A on down. But it cannot be ignored if you want to point to a better opponent. We have seen this against Dunbar too many times. Can't win every single game. FH players of the past such as myself have to acknowledge such. We didn't win every game yet alone post a one loss record.

But in the armchair world, yes...play action, shorter pass routes, different use of the fullback, getting the ball more into your best players hands all are worthy of discussion at least. The offensive line is what it is it seems. Certainly coaches have tried multiple combinations and see first hand who they find the best options. Sometimes you have to roll with what you got because that is all you got. It's called small ball.

I believe the FH defense when playing at its best can manage any opponent from here on out. But that also means less penalties, turnovers and some type of better blocking. If the trap and hit it are not there no need to keep pounding the square peg through the round hole. The sample size is big enough already.

Take some positives. Take the 21-7 Homecoming victory another 14 times in a row. Should not be able to blow your crosstown rival out every time you meet.

There is no need to make wholesale drastic changes to everything FH has done in record fashion just to avoid the kryptonite when you are 8-1 against the toughest schedule from Class 3A on down. But it cannot be ignored if you want to point to a better opponent. We have seen this against Dunbar too many times. Can't win every single game. FH players of the past such as myself have to acknowledge such. We didn't win every game yet alone post a one loss record.

But in the armchair world, yes...play action, shorter pass routes, different use of the fullback, getting the ball more into your best players hands all are worthy of discussion at least. The offensive line is what it is it seems. Certainly coaches have tried multiple combinations and see first hand who they find the best options. Sometimes you have to roll with what you got because that is all you got. It's called small ball.

I believe the FH defense when playing at its best can manage any opponent from here on out. But that also means less penalties, turnovers and some type of better blocking. If the trap and hit it are not there no need to keep pounding the square peg through the round hole. The sample size is big enough already.

Take some positives. Take the 21-7 Homecoming victory another 14 times in a row. Should not be able to blow your crosstown rival out every time you meet.
I agree cause I guess I'm old school. Any day FH beats Alco...in anything....it's a good day.

The FH line is strong enough and fast enough, but the technique and awareness is lacking big time. Linemen passing up 1st level defenders because they either miss or think someone else is supposed to be there on assignment. When they are getting to then second level they dance or twirl around waiting for defenders to come to them instead of attacking. FH runs a Wing-T power and misdirection scheme but the linemen are not using their body, shoulder and heads for positioning or their legs for driving. They put their hands out, make contact with their legs frozen and get called for holding because they are basically in pass blocking mode on run plays and while down field. Where has the blocking technique gone and why? Are they not practing technique in practice weekly, are they not using sleds, are they not used to getting their helmets on the hips and blowing defenders up.

The FH line is strong enough and fast enough, but the technique and awareness is lacking big time. Linemen passing up 1st level defenders because they either miss or think someone else is supposed to be there on assignment. When they are getting to then second level they dance or twirl around waiting for defenders to come to them instead of attacking. FH runs a Wing-T power and misdirection scheme but the linemen are not using their body, shoulder and heads for positioning or their legs for driving. They put their hands out, make contact with their legs frozen and get called for holding because they are basically in pass blocking mode on run plays and while down field. Where has the blocking technique gone and why? Are they not practing technique in practice weekly, are they not using sleds, are they not used to getting their helmets on the hips and blowing defenders up.
That’s what I’m asking. What are they doing in practice? After the loss to MR that same question arose. I would have thought things would have been corrected. I agree with you. They do have the size and ability to win up front. However, the prep work and reps and intensity have to be there. I’m thinking that the work isn’t being done. And what’s the deal with the holding calls? Guys that hold do so because they are beat or their feet arent underneath of them. Either way it’s in excusable.

The problem with the holding calls comes down to the blocking techniques. One of the big changes in Fort Hill the last few years has been how the line blocks. While open hand blocking has been around for some time (no college in the country teaches the chicken wing block anymore) It really hasn't made it's way to Fort Hill. Barry taught a version by having his kids shoulder block and then moving to an open hand style as they made their drive. Todd taught basically the same way.

Open hand blocking is great if you are bigger and stronger, but there are some details that can't be overlooked in practice. The biggest problem is that you can't reach. As a blocker, you have to move your feet. When you drive your hands into your opponent's chest, you can't grab. Sure some linemen get away with this, but as soon as the defender gets separation the hold is exposed. Coaches have got to be anal in practice if they want to correct this as it's nothing more than a bad habit. But if they do, most of those penalties will go away.

This is a young coaching staff, but they have potential. Alkire, Shook and Lewis are all football people, but they all could use a greater command presence. There are other coaches on that team that need the leadership of those above mentioned three. When Todd realized that he needed to do the same thing, his teams were next to unbeatable. I don't think that Alkire will let us down.

Reactions: Harleydeuce
The problem with the holding calls comes down to the blocking techniques. One of the big changes in Fort Hill the last few years has been how the line blocks. While open hand blocking has been around for some time (no college in the country teaches the chicken wing block anymore) It really hasn't made it's way to Fort Hill. Barry taught a version by having his kids shoulder block and then moving to an open hand style as they made their drive. Todd taught basically the same way.

Open hand blocking is great if you are bigger and stronger, but there are some details that can't be overlooked in practice. The biggest problem is that you can't reach. As a blocker, you have to move your feet. When you drive your hands into your opponent's chest, you can't grab. Sure some linemen get away with this, but as soon as the defender gets separation the hold is exposed. Coaches have got to be anal in practice if they want to correct this as it's nothing more than a bad habit. But if they do, most of those penalties will go away.

This is a young coaching staff, but they have potential. Alkire, Shook and Lewis are all football people, but they all could use a greater command presence. There are other coaches on that team that need the leadership of those above mentioned three. When Todd realized that he needed to do the same thing, his teams were next to unbeatable. I don't think that Alkire will let us down.
All of your points are excellent. I see the problem as these coaches are not seeing what you are seeing. After the MR game there was plenty of film to show over and over if necessary what was a hold and then show them the proper technique...that didn't happen. Now it's been another game where it was glaringly obvious to everybody that nothing has changed. After 9 games why would anybody think this staff is going to all of the sudden miraculously fix something they haven't been able to fix for 9 games...they either can't or aren't interested at this point. There is something that is just off. If somebody holds in practice they are going to hold in the game. Pull every single guy off the line that is holding and replace them with somebody else. Does anybody remember the munchkins???? It's great to have size but if you don't what you are saying is perfectly correct, you can still have a great line!

Reactions: ravemwp
All of your points are excellent. I see the problem as these coaches are not seeing what you are seeing. After the MR game there was plenty of film to show over and over if necessary what was a hold and then show them the proper technique...that didn't happen. Now it's been another game where it was glaringly obvious to everybody that nothing has changed. After 9 games why would anybody think this staff is going to all of the sudden miraculously fix something they haven't been able to fix for 9 games...they either can't or aren't interested at this point. There is something that is just off. If somebody holds in practice they are going to hold in the game. Pull every single guy off the line that is holding and replace them with somebody else. Does anybody remember the munchkins???? It's great to have size but if you don't what you are saying is perfectly correct, you can still have a great line!
Absolutely agree 💯 percent. While size is nice blocking has a lot to do with balance and quickness. Footwork is very important. You guys probably get tired of me waxing about the mid seventies, but Fort Hills first state championship team in 1975 had an all-state tackle named Bruce Metz. My guess is that he weighed 185 max. Proof positive that size helps, but techniques, and schemes are very critical.

We never used the "chicken-wing" technique and we didn't need to grab either, and we rushed for over 5000 yards in one year. I do not recall anyone getting called for a single holding call. We had a 160 lb and 184 lb guards, a moderate good sized center and two big tackles that blew people up, pancakes defenders or stuck to them like glue and drove, without using hands. We would pound with our shoulders, forearms, position our helmets and drive, drive, drive. Hands are not needed in power football. Our split ends even used good body position.

We never used the "chicken-wing" technique and we didn't need to grab either, and we rushed for over 5000 yards in one year. I do not recall anyone getting called for a single holding call. We had a 160 lb and 184 lb guards, a moderate good sized center and two big tackles that blew people up, pancakes defenders or stuck to them like glue and drove, without using hands. We would pound with our shoulders, forearms, position our helmets and drive, drive, drive. Hands are not needed in power football. Our split ends even used good body position.
One of you guys who have been a linemen need to seriously consider just stopping by practice and showing them all exactly what you have been saying here. There is no way any of these coaches could possibly understand what you are saying or they would have practiced it the last nine weeks!

One of you guys who have been a linemen need to seriously consider just stopping by practice and showing them all exactly what you have been saying here. There is no way any of these coaches could possibly understand what you are saying or they would have practiced it the last nine weeks!
I don't get it. All of the coaches came up through the same system, same technique.

ARMCHAIR QB

The FH defense is why they win games this season. The Alco offense did a good job in the first half being more physical and out positioning the front. Once the FH defense adjusted late 2nd quarter they shut Alco down. I believe that too is why Alco came out in the 2nd half under center which didn't work either. Also because Bratton was getting exhausted like any normal human being giving his all would deal with. A homecoming record 34 carries? That's crazy.

The main issue is guard/center and fullback. Yet the prime play selection is the fullback between the guard/center. It gets shut down almost completely vs solid defenses that know how to scheme FH. Since traps and hit its while establishing the fullback has been the bread and butter forever on the Hill, even though its not there in 2022 it keeps getting dialed up a lot. If it did not work 6 plays in a row there is no need to keep dialing it up 6 more times. It's a huge problem when the wing T cannot establish the fullback and that is what's happening.

All this still has put FH in an 8-1 record against an extremely brutal schedule for a 1A team despite glaring weaknesses offensively. Can't always be Superman with no kryptonite every year. But a lot of grumbling yesterday evening on the South side of town. Probably because most know in their gut Mtn Ridge beats both these Cumberland teams soundly with out changes. Everyone else in 1A yes.
Arm chairing as well. Pounding the middle ad nauseum with no success makes no sense to me. Teams run many variations of the wing T. Fort Hill always seems to use it as a power offense featuring the big strong fullback as the feature back. The wing T was an offense designed for smaller quicker teams with lots speed and multiple speed guys to attack the edges against bigger teams. Misdirection, and deception as key factors. When Refosco brought the wing T to western Maryland in the mid seventies, he won with speed and quickness. Never remember him trying to pound the middle much. This years FH team may be the perfect mix to use the fullback as a deception and not a feature, with their multiple speed guys hitting the edges and outside allowing for linemen to hold their blocks for a spilt second less. Sometimes you need to adapt to the talent you have that particular season. No major changes, just change who gets the ball more often and where. You are so correct. Stop the square peg, round hole offense.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4R341
Arm chairing as well. Pounding the middle ad nauseum with no success makes no sense to me. Teams run many variations of the wing T. Fort Hill always seems to use it as a power offense featuring the big strong fullback as the feature back. The wing T was an offense designed for smaller quicker teams with lots speed and multiple speed guys to attack the edges against bigger teams. Misdirection, and deception as key factors. When Refosco brought the wing T to western Maryland in the mid seventies, he won with speed and quickness. Never remember him trying to pound the middle much. This years FH team may be the perfect mix to use the fullback as a deception and not a feature, with their multiple speed guys hitting the edges and outside allows for linemen to hold their blocks for a spilt second less. Sometimes you need to adapt to the talent you have. No major changes, just change who gets the ball more often and where. You are so correct. Stop the square peg, round hole offense.
well said!

Could Fort Hill be holding back on their playbook? We won't know this week, that a sure bet. I'm sure that they know the talent that they have. Both Calhoun and Appel used to sandbag and most of the time, they got away with it. (I still remember the Southern game at Fort Hill. Keep the game close, and they'll sign for another two years.....opps!, Mark L. was uncontrollable at the top of the steps! LOL) Those were good days.

Could Fort Hill be holding back on their playbook? We won't know this week, that a sure bet. I'm sure that they know the talent that they have. Both Calhoun and Appel used to sandbag and most of the time, they got away with it. (I still remember the Southern game at Fort Hill. Keep the game close, and they'll sign for another two years.....opps!, Mark L. was uncontrollable at the top of the steps! LOL) Those were good days.
I often think that they are holding out all season myself till the big day down state. But i could be wrong as well. Just dont make sense how you try and run the ball up the middle on 3rd and 28. When you were stopped on try 1 and 2. Just crazy. Maybe there not showing what all they have there making it work for normal season until states. Then the explode with what we have not seen so far this year. To me this year has not been FH football at all. With all the talent they have i my self have not been impressed one bit.

I often think that they are holding out all season myself till the big day down state. But i could be wrong as well. Just dont make sense how you try and run the ball up the middle on 3rd and 28. When you were stopped on try 1 and 2. Just crazy. Maybe there not showing what all they have there making it work for normal season until states. Then the explode with what we have not seen so far this year. To me this year has not been FH football at all. With all the talent they have i my self have not been impressed one bit.
I''ve always thought why not show everything you got to make your opponent's job that much harder. Can you imagine scouting a FH team that doesn't have the same playbook game after game, year after year. Having to prepare for everything is way harder than for the fb up the middle all game long. Show everything, get a 35 point lead, and take all the starters out. Let all those guys who are part of the team, who practice and work hard, have every opportunity to play. They aren't going to overwhelm a first team of even somebody like Southern. This approach gives your starters the opportunity to work on things, stay sharp and fresh, and not take any chances on getting somebody injured....and not running up a score.

All this points to the OC. Is he either too stubborn to make changes or too stupid
Remember, this is the same OC that was OC for Todd. Well he was Todd's OC for 2 games and Todd relinquished Shook of his responsibility and Todd took over the play calling himself. Folks also thought Shook might replace Todd when Todd left.
Is OC good at his job or was it easy to turn and hand the ball to Blake White. Blake made OC look better than he is.

everyone knows how good the backfield is, so theft isn’t anything to hide or hold off on. If there was a trick play, different scheme etc that’s what a team would not want to show. No reason not to show speed and talent everyone knows they have it.

One would like to think FH is just playing super vanilla, and although you hate to lose any game, FH could afford to play it close to the vest and take the loss to MR. But I just can't think that can really be a sustainable game plan. I honestly think that they're just having some uncharacteristic issues on blocking schemes and technique.

Sticking to just the first few pages of the playbook when that's all that's needed is one thing, but holding calls, missed blocks, and not establishing a consistent running game isn't a game plan. Those are mistakes.

I do think FH will make some changes and improvements heading into the second half of the season. But they have work to do before they can just randomly start adding more pages to the playbook, imo.

Not likely. FH just needs to start acting like the underdog they are this year. Adapt, adjust, and diversify. The talents there it's just being implemented all wrong.

I''ve always thought why not show everything you got to make your opponent's job that much harder. Can you imagine scouting a FH team that doesn't have the same playbook game after game, year after year. Having to prepare for everything is way harder than for the fb up the middle all game long. Show everything, get a 35 point lead, and take all the starters out. Let all those guys who are part of the team, who practice and work hard, have every opportunity to play. They aren't going to overwhelm a first team of even somebody like Southern. This approach gives your starters the opportunity to work on things, stay sharp and fresh, and not take any chances on getting somebody injured....and not running up a score.
I respectfully disagree. Did you notice all of the cramps FH players had? One of FH's problems is they are not ever conditioned enough at the end of the season because of the blowouts. They're used to "quitting" after two quarters and it shows. Just one part of bigger problems.

the conditioning isn’t taken seriously by some of the team. Those kids would adhere to what the expectations are or they would be gone. That’s how you run a program. If not the culture gets weakened. When the culture gets weakened and your QB gets slammed like a doll against your 1A rival, heads drop and you become like prey to the predator.

Reactions: Tony54
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT