ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts after Week 1?

beall02

Franchise Poster
Jun 2, 2006
What are everyone's thoughts following the first full week of area football? Here are mine.

1.) The 1A West is all sewn up... Allegany, Fort Hill, Northern and Boonsboro have clinched their playoff spots after Week #1. I mean they haven't officially, but do you really see any of the other 5 teams making a run?, I sure don't.

2.) Allegany, Fort Hill and Keyser will battle for the area title. Should be three good games. Hard to gauge how good all three are due to who they have played thus far. But should be fun to watch those games.

3.) Frankfort has slightly improved and should have a better season then they did last year. But I emphasize the word "slightly."

4.) Mountain Ridge should be a bit better than last year as well. Make or break for them will be their games against Northern, Chestnut Ridge, and Springs Mills. Don't see them knocking off the above mentioned "Big Three" but I could see them going 6-4 or 7-3. Disappointed with how they played from the second quarter on last night. Let John Marshall get back in the game. Should of been 42-13 game.

5.) Allegany and Fort Hill will be playing for the 1A Championship in Week #2 of the playoffs, as they will only get the title of 1A West Region Champs after that game, but no real contenders in 1A thus far. Only one I would even slightly consider is CSD but as with the above mentioned comment about Frankfort, I emphasize the word slightly.

My Top 5 right now... and this will change in the next 2 weeks... at least I believe it will

1.) Fort Hill
2.) Keyser
3.) Allegany
4.) Mountain Ridge
5.) Northern

Last edited:
FH's D nasty, and now I understand why people said we are so deep. Usually we could step off the gas by letting all the subs, and underclassmen play, but they were generating just as much success.

Can't wait to see this weeks game coming... It's going to tell us a lot

Reactions: beall02
As much as I enjoyed being a good first week prognosticator of Alco/FH, the only extension I see is that FH is a mortal lock. Anyone who went to the Allegany game please correct me, but my current information tells me that Alco doesn't have a lineman over 225. Milburn is back playing like a young man possessed - and Alco has a decent quarterback and some key players. But it is hard for me to see Allegany knocking off a good school that has both line size and some outside speed.

Last edited:
FH's D nasty, and now I understand why people said we are so deep. Usually we could step off the gas by letting all the subs, and underclassmen play, but they were generating just as much success.

Can't wait to see this weeks game coming... It's going to tell us a lot

It is very impressive to see what Fort Hill has done in the past 5 years. Especially when the rest of 1A has struggled so much. You would expect them to be similar to rest of their class. But they are heads and toes above anyone else. It isn't even close. Consider where Fort Hill was just about 10 years ago. Beall beat them in the final year of existence for the Mountaineers. I believe that was 2006.

It is very impressive to see what Fort Hill has done in the past 5 years. Especially when the rest of 1A has struggled so much. You would expect them to be similar to rest of their class. But they are heads and toes above anyone else. It isn't even close. Consider where Fort Hill was just about 10 years ago. Beall beat them in the final year of existence for the Mountaineers. I believe that was 2006.

I think it was a artical or heard a quote last year that said something along the lines of " Fort Hill is a smaller school with a larger schools former traditions while 'our' school is a large school with a smaller schools traditions"

Traditions make the difference. That's why I fear the " inevitable " combination of both of our Cumberland schools. I personally am full of apprehensiveness towards binding both schools, because we lose another piece of what makes our area a great place for our youth to thrive and grow.

Not sure if that is clear response to your comment, but is the response none the less.

Our sustained traditions are what help us grow as opposed to the other schools around the state that are trying something new and untested

We've gradually tweeked what workes, and made it better

It's fun that nearly 20 years later (as a former QB) I can watch all the plays on the field and name what we just ran as called in the huddle, and every once in a while say "what was THAT!?"

No words truly fit other than to say "we all made something special happen"

We're doing it OUR WAY... And we're making it WORK!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT