ADVERTISEMENT

The truth, as I see it, about Allegany football

Snakeskin Cowboy

All State Poster
Mar 2, 2004
As some of the older posters here know, I used to post a while ago. It has been awhile but I couldn't help to say what I am about to say. Someone has too. My son was in town last night and he wanted to see what Allegany looked like against a good team that beat Fort Hill. I dread going to Keyser and getting out was fun as usual. But, we went. Understand, either my wife or a couple of good friends hardly ever miss. So, I'm gonna say I might know a bit more than some that post here. We thought it would be a good game. Little did we know.

This is what I gathered last night before the game from some parents I know of players. The coaching staff changed the backfield and game plan on Thursday. It was told to me, that the kids were very upset about it, very. I also understand that a few coaches were upset. This is as dysfunctional as a staff that you are going to see. A couple coaches didn't even know Taylor was coming on board.This coaching staff is bad and I mean bad. I have read on her that some of you would like to blame the kids. OK, I can buy some of that. Let me say this, one of Allegany's best lineman (Smith)was out the MR game and also last night. I make no excuses for that. But a 230 pound guard would have helped. Also, when you play your 253 pound tackle at tight end and never throw him the ball, that is a problem also. I know it is hard to fathom after looking at the fourth quarter, but this is still a talented team. There are skill players who should be playing more. There are kids who stand on the sideline on offense, who should be line of scrimmage players. I don't want to take shots at kids, but you can't play a 190 pound guard beside a 210 pound tackle and be successful against a Keyser or Fort Hill.

Two Allegany backs who average over or close to 100 yards got 25? How does that work? Well, I just told you how. A great deal of successful coaching is to know where to put players and when to leave them alone. This crap at fullback for them has got to stop. Robinette would be a great tight end. An athletic kid. He is not a fullback. Why do you take your leading rusher (Eirich) from last year at that position and this year so far and stick him on the wing is beyond me. Milburn, King and Daughtery are good kids at wing. Wilhelm should be a tackle. They do not know how to utilize talent, at all.

Know this, with Wilhelm and DeWitt at tackles that is around 270 plus. Smith at one guard at 230. Dignan and Stankan both play well. Robinette at TE would be a pretty good line. Not at Allegany. You also have a good QB and receiver in Imes and Rhodes. This is something, that talking to one parent at halftime, can't get over. The talent is absolutely there. Oh, and there are some darn good back-ups also.

These posters on here that think they know this Allegany team after one game just might be wrong. I have followed this class closely because I have a couple close friends kids who play. I will leave their comments off the board which is R rated in posting. Some posters said that this would be a good Allegany team because they played FH tough last year. No, this is a good Allegany team because they have been and are. It is absolutely shameful this coaching staff. Allegany did have a couple opportunities to score in the first half. Absolute awful play calling don't help. When you have to continuely look at a play chart to know what play to run is bad. I mean real bad.

Also, not sure if I read Allegany didn't support their team last night? Well, from where we were sitting, the side looked packed to me.

Lastly, let me say players play and coaches coach. I still think this is a good Allegany football team. They have time to get it straightened out. The question is will they? Will the Allegany coaching staff look into a mirror and demand from themselves what they do from the kids? That is accountability. This staff hasn't done so in years. I wonder why some of them even still coach. A Keyser loss means nothing in the great scheme of things. They still have a great opportunity. The big question is......WILL THEY!!

Reactions: Lagmeister
As some of the older posters here know, I used to post a while ago. It has been awhile but I couldn't help to say what I am about to say. Someone has too. My son was in town last night and he wanted to see what Allegany looked like against a good team that beat Fort Hill. I dread going to Keyser and getting out was fun as usual. But, we went. Understand, either my wife or a couple of good friends hardly ever miss. So, I'm gonna say I might know a bit more than some that post here. We thought it would be a good game. Little did we know.

This is what I gathered last night before the game from some parents I know of players. The coaching staff changed the backfield and game plan on Thursday. It was told to me, that the kids were very upset about it, very. I also understand that a few coaches were upset. This is as dysfunctional as a staff that you are going to see. A couple coaches didn't even know Taylor was coming on board.This coaching staff is bad and I mean bad. I have read on her that some of you would like to blame the kids. OK, I can buy some of that. Let me say this, one of Allegany's best lineman (Smith)was out the MR game and also last night. I make no excuses for that. But a 230 pound guard would have helped. Also, when you play your 253 pound tackle at tight end and never throw him the ball, that is a problem also. I know it is hard to fathom after looking at the fourth quarter, but this is still a talented team. There are skill players who should be playing more. There are kids who stand on the sideline on offense, who should be line of scrimmage players. I don't want to take shots at kids, but you can't play a 190 pound guard beside a 210 pound tackle and be successful against a Keyser or Fort Hill.

Two Allegany backs who average over or close to 100 yards got 25? How does that work? Well, I just told you how. A great deal of successful coaching is to know where to put players and when to leave them alone. This crap at fullback for them has got to stop. Robinette would be a great tight end. An athletic kid. He is not a fullback. Why do you take your leading rusher (Eirich) from last year at that position and this year so far and stick him on the wing is beyond me. Milburn, King and Daughtery are good kids at wing. Wilhelm should be a tackle. They do not know how to utilize talent, at all.

Know this, with Wilhelm and DeWitt at tackles that is around 270 plus. Smith at one guard at 230. Dignan and Stankan both play well. Robinette at TE would be a pretty good line. Not at Allegany. You also have a good QB and receiver in Imes and Rhodes. This is something, that talking to one parent at halftime, can't get over. The talent is absolutely there. Oh, and there are some darn good back-ups also.

These posters on here that think they know this Allegany team after one game just might be wrong. I have followed this class closely because I have a couple close friends kids who play. I will leave their comments off the board which is R rated in posting. Some posters said that this would be a good Allegany team because they played FH tough last year. No, this is a good Allegany team because they have been and are. It is absolutely shameful this coaching staff. Allegany did have a couple opportunities to score in the first half. Absolute awful play calling don't help. When you have to continuely look at a play chart to know what play to run is bad. I mean real bad.

Also, not sure if I read Allegany didn't support their team last night? Well, from where we were sitting, the side looked packed to me.

Lastly, let me say players play and coaches coach. I still think this is a good Allegany football team. They have time to get it straightened out. The question is will they? Will the Allegany coaching staff look into a mirror and demand from themselves what they do from the kids? That is accountability. This staff hasn't done so in years. I wonder why some of them even still coach. A Keyser loss means nothing in the great scheme of things. They still have a great opportunity. The big question is......WILL THEY!!

"The coaching staff changed the backfield and game plan on Thursday" - Even the radio commentators constantly questioned Alco's game plan and play calling. When your hometown radio folks go that far it tells you something. And no, there will be no change because it would take a player/parent revolt.

Agree with much of what was posted. If it were just one or two seasons of disappointment that would be one thing. This appears to be a constant theme of players in the wrong places. Wilhelm would be right smack in the middle of my OL and defense. No question.

On the flip side Keyser is superior to Alco this year by a pretty considerable margin that goes beyond just coaching. But not 42-0 superior.

My biggest question is why do Alco quarterbacks become a liability once they hit varsity? 3 picks again last night. Last year there were as many picks thrown as TD passes. Can't have these things. It's the same ole song and dance.

Last edited:
Agree with much of what was posted. If it were just one or two seasons of disappointment that would be one thing. This appears to be a constant theme of players in the wrong places. Wilhelm would be right smack in the middle of my OL and defense. No question.

On the flip side Keyser is superior to Alco this year by a pretty considerable margin that goes beyond just coaching. But not 42-0 superior.

My biggest question is why do Alco quarterbacks become a liability once they hit varsity? 3 picks again last night. Last year there were as many picks thrown as TD passes. Can't have these things. It's the same ole song and dance.

Partly because of the same vanilla, predictable pass patterns and a high school quarterback getting rattled as this particular game dismantled itself. The past few games were things of beauty in the passing area.

I also never see the Braddock teams at the youth league or pee wee levels winning championships. And that's just against local teams. There is a correlation so dont just lump it all on coaches. I think alco65 said it best after the Alco freshmen beat FH a few weeks ago, that was the first time any of those kids had beaten their crosstown rival in like 15 years of youth and pee wee football. I don't know if that's true as I do not follow the youth teams that close. But if true it speaks volumes.

Everyone needs to realize, and I'm guilty of this as well, that we were judging and pumping up Allegany based on their victories over 3 bad, well, lets say 2 bad and 1 mediocre team. That first team was really, really bad, Chestnut Ridge (usually a solid team) was so bad Fort Hill was beating them 63-0 at the half, and Mountain Ridge may be 3-1 but come on. Sure they've looked good and dominant, well, guess what, in Keyser they ran into an actual good team, the same caliber of team they will run into with Fort Hill.

I also never see the Braddock teams at the youth league or pee wee levels winning championships. And that's just against local teams. There is a correlation so dont just lump it all on coaches. I think alco65 said it best after the Alco freshmen beat FH a few weeks ago, that was the first time any of those kids had beaten their crosstown rival in like 15 years of youth and pee wee football. I don't know if that's true as I do not follow the youth teams that close. But if true it speaks volumes.

I dont follow youth football either but Alco has had some success beating FH teams in Freshman and JV over past couple yrs. Then they get to Varsity and get killed every yr. so I know its Coaching. How can the Campers beat FH in Freshman and JV but lose big to the same kids 1 or 2 yrs later in Varsity??? This has happened alot in the Preaskorn Era...

I dont follow youth football either but Alco has had some success beating FH teams in Freshman and JV over past couple yrs. Then they get to Varsity and get killed every yr. so I know its Coaching. How can the Campers beat FH in Freshman and JV but lose big to the same kids 1 or 2 yrs later in Varsity??? This has happened alot in the Preaskorn Era...

Last year, Fort Hill and Allegany split the JV and Freshman games, everybody seems to forget that Fort Hill won the first games and I think both Fort Hill teams were undefeated going into the second set of games. Anyway, you are correct in that Allegany drops the ball at the Varsity level but Fort Hill wisely brings alot of their stud kids up to Varsity early.

Reactions: towpath94

Yes one of Alcos best lineman (Smith a 4 yr. Varsity Starter) has missed the last 2 games and there has been no rushing the past 2 weeks. The good news is he will be back this week. I agree we have some good kids but the coaching is so horrible. Keyser has a good team but they arent 42 points better than this Camper team. It's so hard to watch a Allegany game even when they are winning, I see so many coaching mistakes. Plz Preaskorn Save Allegany Football and step down...

Because it's not the same teams. The Patriots have owned Braddock for years (closest thing you get to a full grade being together until varsity) then as Seasoned Lettuce said FH is more aggressive moving younger players to varsity so Alco takes advantage of that at the Freshman and JV levels. Allegany people hate hearing that but is the truth. That does not take away anything from the kids that do win at the 9th and 10th grade level but it doesn't mean a win at the varsity level when the teams are complete.

Take for instance the much ballyhooed sophomore group at FH. They've lost the last 2 meetings against their crosstown counterparts but as pee wee Reds and Saints they never lost to the Eagles or Hunters and as Patriots beat every team by 30 points for 2 years winning 2 D1 Super Bowl titles. Currently there are 4 sophomores starting on varsity and are big parts of the team. Hell and one of them played for Braddock. So what do you think will happen at the varsity level when you add in the coaching advantage FH has? Just an example to show how freshman and JV games show little as to what will happen at varsity and why Alco has more success at those levels than varsity.

Reactions: camper21502
Because it's not the same teams. The Patriots have owned Braddock for years (closest thing you get to a full grade being together until varsity) then as Seasoned Lettuce said FH is more aggressive moving younger players to varsity so Alco takes advantage of that at the Freshman and JV levels. Allegany people hate hearing that but is the truth. That does not take away anything from the kids that do win at the 9th and 10th grade level but it doesn't mean a win at the varsity level when the teams are complete.

Take for instance the much ballyhooed sophomore group at FH. They've lost the last 2 meetings against their crosstown counterparts but as pee wee Reds and Saints they never lost to the Eagles or Hunters and as Patriots beat every team by 30 points for 2 years winning 2 D1 Super Bowl titles. Currently there are 4 sophomores starting on varsity and are big parts of the team. Hell and one of them played for Braddock. So what do you think will happen at the varsity level when you add in the coaching advantage FH has? Just an example to show how freshman and JV games show little as to what will happen at varsity and why Alco has more success at those levels than varsity.

I know Alco moves up sophs also. They show a hell of a lot of players on the field for a 1A team. Maybe they just aren't playing many of them. Right now there are a lot of seniors on the field, not that it has done them much good.

Last year, Fort Hill and Allegany split the JV and Freshman games, everybody seems to forget that Fort Hill won the first games and I think both Fort Hill teams were undefeated going into the second set of games. Anyway, you are correct in that Allegany drops the ball at the Varsity level but Fort Hill wisely brings alot of their stud kids up to Varsity early.
I know last yr. they split Im talking about the past few yrs.

What your saying would make sense. I just dont have enough information on the numbers to tell how accurate your response is. I know Alco also moves players up every yr. too so I just dont know.

That's a good post, Snakeskin. FH found itself in a similar position in 2012. Played at Keyser and took a whippin. A couple of kids turned in equipment the following Monday. Somehow, though, that marked a turning point in the season. They came out and played very good football the rest of the year. With the right guidance, perhaps Alco can do the same!!

That's a good post, Snakeskin. FH found itself in a similar position in 2012. Played at Keyser and took a whippin. A couple of kids turned in equipment the following Monday. Somehow, though, that marked a turning point in the season. They came out and played very good football the rest of the year. With the right guidance, perhaps Alco can do the same!!

Well, it isn't all that similar in that the goal with Alco would be Can The Korn!

Smith has not been a 4 year starter at Alco, he went to BW his freshman year. And did not start his sophomore year on varsity. Also some may forget and someone please correct if I'm wrong but I think the Northern seniors won the youth championship their 8th grade year so they are a pretty good team

Reactions: Bubbahead70
Also some may forget and someone please correct if I'm wrong but I think the Northern seniors won the youth championship their 8th grade year so they are a pretty good team

Northern's seniors this year lost in the Super Bowl to Keyser as 8th graders. You are right they are a good team. The Northern 11th graders were pretty good in the 8th grade also. They lost to the current FH 11th graders in the Super Bowl.

Just to finish up with the other 2 classes currently in high school in case people are wondering. The current 10th grade Super Bowl was the Patriots over Braddock and the current 9th grade Super Bowl was Southern over the Patriots. That freshmen group at Southern was a great group from pee wee up through D1. I hope they can help to turn the Southern program around.

proud khs fan
Why is it when ever Keyser beats Fort Hill and an Allegany they can't take it
Keyser beat the pants off of Allegany it could have been 60 to 0
so quit crying and as for Fort Hill saying they should not play Keyser because Keyser is a Biger school
Fort Hill has 796 kids
Keyser has 820 kids that is 24 kids more
are you going to stop playing us because we beat you

Not hardly. One person making a comment doesn't constitute FH. FH beats Keyser 8 out of 10 games this year. Nobody is pressed about Keyser in Red Country.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
Yeah, kudos to Keyser, but they need to quit thinking that Fort Hill folks are worried about Keyser. What they did to us we normally do to them, 80 percent of the time. When we beat you guys do you sit around worrying about it the rest of the year? Heck no. Onward and upward.

Reactions: FortHillFan89
Alco fans can relax. The only team that doesn't suck left on their schedule before HC is Northern possibly. The numbers will get inflated again and all will be well. The passing game will look like the best in the area again against these teams. But not playing competition will hurt after these cupcakes are through.

How's that Alco schedule looking Boyz n Blue? For a few years u have harped on FH Competition. Just wandering if anyone else is worthy of being under that microscope.

Last edited:
If it could have been 60-0 then it would have been. Just because Keyser had a couple of turnovers does not mean they would have scored. Hats off to Keyser they are the best team in the area this year, now they need to do something with it in the playoffs

Unless they let this loss get to them they will be fine. They should run the table until Fort Hill. Hardest game will definitely be the Northern one. The Huskies may pull the upset with the game being up there. 1A West is going to be hard to miss as far as the playoffs go for Allegany. That Northern game is going to be the deciding factor though. Boonsboro looks decent this year. I see at least three more losses for Clear Spring so I don't believe they will be a factor. Important games for this region will be the Northern/Allegany, Mountain Ridge/Northern, Boonsboro/Northern games.

Nothing against Coach Carr and Northern. They have a nice program for a small 1A school. But, if you are Allegany, where is your program when you are talking about Northern being a tough game on your schedule, deciding factor in making the playoffs, etc.? You are Allegany!

I agree with you 100%. They have a great year once a decade. But as a Mountain Ridge fan I can relate with where our program has gone in the last three years. It would be a little more interesting if MR was still in 1A.

Strangely enough I heard that the MR girls sports will be competing in 1A when it comes to the playoffs this year.

Trust me, Northern is a very good football team. Coach Carr does an outstanding job with his team. Also, the freshmen group @ Southern are a pretty good group. They are playing a combined JV/Freshmen schedule. The freshmen play both Alco /Ft Hill freshmen teams. I'm sure both will be great games.

I stand corrected on the statement about the girls sports teams at MR. They will be competing in 1A for girls soccer ONLY. All other girls sports will be 2A. They needed to balance out the schools in that sport which is why they moved them down.

Smith has not been a 4 year starter at Alco, he went to BW his freshman year. And did not start his sophomore year on varsity. Also some may forget and someone please correct if I'm wrong but I think the Northern seniors won the youth championship their 8th grade year so they are a pretty good team
I didnt say Smith was a 4yr starter at Alco. I said He was a 4yr. varsity starter. His freshman yr. @ BW he started on Varsity. I thought he started on defense his sophomore yr.@ Alco? If not hes a 3yr. varsity starter 4yr. Varsity player.

Nothing against Coach Carr and Northern. They have a nice program for a small 1A school. But, if you are Allegany, where is your program when you are talking about Northern being a tough game on your schedule, deciding factor in making the playoffs, etc.? You are Allegany!
Northern has earned some respect in my book by holding Keyser to fewer points than Allegany and FH did.

Reactions: bigdawgrefwmd
Northern's program is strong. They have a good group of kids that work their tales off and motivate each other! And that's what you need to change a program around!!

Northern has earned some respect in my book by holding Keyser to fewer points than Allegany and FH did.
yes Northern is strong this yr. Some ppl make fun of the Huskies because most yrs they are bad but they have a decent Coach and he works hard with what he has. When Northern has a good team some ppl just dont wanna believe it...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT