Friendship Collegiate
Allegany
Southern
Allegany
Lackey
Dunbar

Hahahahaha. Whatever

Reactions: sentinel-nurse
Depends on how you count the weeks. From Saturday Melbourne CC to Friday Lackey 7 weeks.

Whatever. Point being that is an absolute BRUTAL stretch for any 1A, 2A or 3A school.

Reactions: PowerRamRight
1A Strength of Schedule

CalPreps has Fort Hill's schedule rated as a 19.2 Allegany leads 1A at 20.1. No other school is even over 15.0. Dunbar is 10.6. Hancock is lowest in 1A at -34.9

FH is the only 1A team with a top 1000 win this season (MCC). FH and Allegany (Dunbar) are the only two 1A teams that have even beat anyone ranked in the top 2,500.

2A Strength of Schedule

Damascus's schedule strength is 18.4. Oakdale leads 2A at 24.1 followed by Walkersville and Liberty at 23.7. Glenelg was also higher than anyone in 1A at 21.3. Gwynn Park is at 16.8

Walkersville had 3 top 1,000 wins (Linganore, Oakdale x2), Damascus (Walkersville) and Oakdale (Linganore) each had 1.

3A Strength of Schedule

In 3A, Linganore has a SOS of 22.5. Milford Mill's is 10.6. Oxon Hill had the highest SOS in 3A at 24.6. Potomac (23.5) and Tuscarora (22.4) also finished higher than the highest SOS in 1A.

No team in 3A had a top 1,000 win. The best 3A win was Franklin over #1,213 Smyrna (DE).

4A Strength of Schedule

Wise has a SOS of 24.7. Quince Orchard's is 18.4. Bowie (27.4) faced the toughest schedule in 4A. Bladensburg (27), Eleanor Roosevelt (25.0) Howard (22.0) Urbana (21.5), Northwest (21.0) and DuVal (20.5) all also played tougher schedules than anyone in 1A.

Wise has 4 top 1,000 wins (Calvert Hall, Roosevelt x2, Howard), Quince Orchard has 1 (North Point) and Flowers has 1 (Roosevelt)

Private School Strength of Schedule

Gilman leads the whole state with an obscene 51.7 SOS. Their opponents went a combined 86-44. McDonogh (49.8), DeMatha (46.1), Good Counsel (45.8), Mount Saint Joseph (43.3), Archbishop Spalding (42.2), Saint Frances (41.8), Loyola (38.7), Calvert Hall (37.6), Georgetown Prep (28.6), Bullis (26.8) Archbishop Curley (27.6), Saint Vincent Pallotti (26.3), Riverdale Baptist (25.8), Saint Mary's & John Carroll (24.4), Silver Oak (23.4) Avalon (22.3) and Landon (21.5) all finished with a higher SOS than any 1A team.

Top 1,000 Wins
9- Saint Frances
5- Good Counsel
3- Bullis, Gilman, McDonogh, Mount Saint Joseph
2- Archbishop Spalding, Calvert Hall, Georgetown Prep
1- DeMatha, Landon, Saint Mary's Ryken

To add perspective to these numbers, IMG Academy (FL) leads the nation with a 67.0 strength of schedule.

1A Strength of Schedule

CalPreps has Fort Hill's schedule rated as a 19.2 Allegany leads 1A at 20.1. No other school is even over 15.0. Dunbar is 10.6. Hancock is lowest in 1A at -34.9

FH is the only 1A team with a top 1000 win this season (MCC). FH and Allegany (Dunbar) are the only two 1A teams that have even beat anyone ranked in the top 2,500.

2A Strength of Schedule

Damascus's schedule strength is 18.4. Oakdale leads 2A at 24.1 followed by Walkersville and Liberty at 23.7. Glenelg was also higher than anyone in 1A at 21.3. Gwynn Park is at 16.8

Walkersville had 3 top 1,000 wins (Linganore, Oakdale x2), Damascus (Walkersville) and Oakdale (Linganore) each had 1.

3A Strength of Schedule

In 3A, Linganore has a SOS of 22.5. Milford Mill's is 10.6. Oxon Hill had the highest SOS in 3A at 24.6. Potomac (23.5) and Tuscarora (22.4) also finished higher than the highest SOS in 1A.

No team in 3A had a top 1,000 win. The best 3A win was Franklin over #1,213 Smyrna (DE).

4A Strength of Schedule

Wise has a SOS of 24.7. Quince Orchard's is 18.4. Bowie (27.4) faced the toughest schedule in 4A. Bladensburg (27), Eleanor Roosevelt (25.0) Howard (22.0) Urbana (21.5), Northwest (21.0) and DuVal (20.5) all also played tougher schedules than anyone in 1A.

Wise has 4 top 1,000 wins (Calvert Hall, Roosevelt x2, Howard), Quince Orchard has 1 (North Point) and Flowers has 1 (Roosevelt)

Private School Strength of Schedule

Gilman leads the whole state with an obscene 51.7 SOS. Their opponents went a combined 86-44. McDonogh (49.8), DeMatha (46.1), Good Counsel (45.8), Mount Saint Joseph (43.3), Archbishop Spalding (42.2), Saint Frances (41.8), Loyola (38.7), Calvert Hall (37.6), Georgetown Prep (28.6), Bullis (26.8) Archbishop Curley (27.6), Saint Vincent Pallotti (26.3), Riverdale Baptist (25.8), Saint Mary's & John Carroll (24.4), Silver Oak (23.4) Avalon (22.3) and Landon (21.5) all finished with a higher SOS than any 1A team.

Top 1,000 Wins
9- Saint Frances
5- Good Counsel
3- Bullis, Gilman, McDonogh, Mount Saint Joseph
2- Archbishop Spalding, Calvert Hall, Georgetown Prep
1- DeMatha, Landon, Saint Mary's Ryken

To add perspective to these numbers, IMG Academy (FL) leads the nation with a 67.0 strength of schedule.
Nice info thx...

Depends on how you count the weeks. From Saturday Melbourne CC to Friday Lackey 7 weeks.

Whatever. Point being that is an absolute BRUTAL stretch for any 1A, 2A or 3A school.

This is actually the schedule that most playoff teams have to play every year. FH has been blessed the last four years because they have played Forestville or Surrattsville (teams that barely have a winning record) in this round. This is not a "brutal" stretch for a 2A or 3A school, lol. Of those teams you named only one (Friendship) was ranked, and they were only #16 on the Washington Post poll.

Reference: http://www.mdprepfootball.com/?p=11546

Good question as it has been a very tough ride for FH to end the season. Here are the numbers over those last 7 weeks for the remaining teams in the MPSSAA Championship Games.

Strength of Schedule (MaxPreps)

1. Wise - 14.9
2. Fort Hill - 20.0
3. Damascus - 29.6
4. Linganore - 31.1
5. Quince Orchard - 31.4
6. Gwynn Park - 31.5
7. Milford Mill - 42.6
8. Dunbar - 47.3

Over the last 7 weeks, out of the every team playing in the MPSSAA Championship, only Wise played a tougher schedule and the numbers are not even close.

Good question as it has been a very tough ride for FH to end the season. Here are the numbers over those last 7 weeks for the remaining teams in the MPSSAA Championship Games.

Strength of Schedule (MaxPreps)

1. Wise - 14.9
2. Fort Hill - 20.0
3. Damascus - 29.6
4. Linganore - 31.1
5. Quince Orchard - 31.4
6. Gwynn Park - 31.5
7. Milford Mill - 42.6
8. Dunbar - 47.3

Over the last 7 weeks, out of the every team playing in the MPSSAA Championship, only Wise played a tougher schedule and the numbers are not even close.

I don't want to diminish the FH schedule this season. But when Brian starts (yet another) post about the schedule and is celebrating wins over 6 unranked 1A teams, it shows how accustomed the fan base is to playing a soft schedule. Fort Hill is a good 1A squad, they are the 4 time defending state champions and are currently ranked #12 in the state. They are supposed to beat unranked 1A teams. Why are you patting yourself on the back?

And the MaxPreps calculation makes very little sense. FH has a higher SOS than DMass, who has a victory over Walkersville the #4 ranked team in the state? FH has a higher SOS than Quince Orchard, who has victories over #6 North Point and #20 Northwest?

I don't want to diminish the FH schedule this season. But when Brian starts (yet another) post about the schedule and is celebrating wins over 6 unranked 1A teams, it shows how accustomed the fan base is to playing a soft schedule. Fort Hill is a good 1A squad, they are the 4 time defending state champions and are currently ranked #12 in the state. They are supposed to beat unranked 1A teams. Why are you patting yourself on the back?

And the MaxPreps calculation makes very little sense. FH has a higher SOS than DMass, who has a victory over Walkersville the #4 ranked team in the state? FH has a higher SOS than Quince Orchard, who has victories over #6 North Point and #20 Northwest?

Once again, you can argue the MaxPreps numbers. They are not something a FH fan put together so at least there can be no bias. For someone who has been hard on the state media poll all these years for its lack of sense you seem to pull out the poll rankings quite a bit when comparing schedules. Yet at the same time the state poll says FH is better than Oakdale, Flowers, Calvert Hall, McDonogh, etc., of which you do not agree.

I have to disagree with you big time. I don't see FH better than those teams in the poll and I agree with BrianH in that this has been a brutal back stretch for any school to play. Those MaxPreps numbers may not be 100% accurate but the measuring gap speaks volumes. Yes it is a brutal stretch, especially for a 1A school who only pulls from its 1A student population.

Last edited:
Once again, you can argue the MaxPreps numbers. They are not something a FH fan put together so at least there can be no bias. For someone who has been hard on the state media poll all these years for its lack of sense you seem to pull out the poll rankings quite a bit. The state poll says FH is better than Oakdale, Flowers, Calvert Hall, McDonogh, etc.

I have to disagree with you big time. I don't see FH better than those teams in the poll and I agree with BrianH in that this has been a brutal back stretch for any school to play. Those MaxPreps numbers may not be 100% accurate but the measuring gap speaks volumes. Yes it is a brutal stretch, especially for a 1A school who only pulls from its student population.
Hey Todd on a completely different topic, I posted a question last week that you may or may not have seen. Do you have any idea what Coach Appel was talking about during a pregame interview when he said "because of an email Lackey was moved from 2a to 1a". He then said postgame "we just beat a 2a school". It was very ominous/conspiracy sounding and I just wondered if there was something truly shady by the mpssaa, which wouldn't be hard to believe, or if he was just giving an opinion...any ideas?

Hey Todd on a completely different topic, I posted a question last week that you may or may not have seen. Do you have any idea what Coach Appel was talking about during a pregame interview when he said "because of an email Lackey was moved from 2a to 1a". He then said postgame "we just beat a 2a school". It was very ominous/conspiracy sounding and I just wondered if there was something truly shady by the mpssaa, which wouldn't be hard to believe, or if he was just giving an opinion...any ideas?

I have not spoken to coaches about this recently. But it obviously was a jab at reclassification in that if the MPSSAA continued to use the same classification formula they have used since 1974 than Lackey would easily still be a 2A school as would Douglass PG.

My personal feeling (and I'm sure it will be called homerism)...it took FH walking away with 4 straight state football titles before the MPSSAA did anything about adjusting for the first time in 44 years for football classification alignment rules. No question. I know this because the top MPSSAA administrators involved told me so. They thought 1A football was too weak. Was it too weak? Yes, but it has been weak for 44 years. That is why when a power such as FH or Dunbar finally gets in we see the end result and their domination.

But here is the huge hypocrisy: the MPSSAA says they didn't like the fact that before this new reclassification the numbers were unbalanced because 1A had too many small schools that don't field a football team. Because of this all the other classes had 50 football teams while 1A only had 37. OK, fine but now you have the hypocrisy. Now with this new reclassification there is an even amount of football teams in each class but in most every other sport such as basketball for example, 1A now how 12 more teams than every other class. So why was football so important to even up if you (the MPSSAA) don't care about the uneven numbers in the other sports that now exist? If the MPSSAA was to do this correctly they would have done like Pennsylvania where every sport has the teams counted and then divide evenly by four to get equal balance. Sports specific classifications. So Mountain Ridge for example may have been a 1A school in football but maybe 2A in girls soccer. But the MPSSAA didn't do this, they just adjusted for football to make sure 1A wasn't so easy to win in football. And there are certain people (emails) involved in that decision that didn't help Western Maryland out one bit. It was definitely bullshit.

However, it is important to note that the Dunbar enrollment is now just a hair less than FH. So even if the MPSSAA did not change their classification model, Dunbar would still have been moved back into 1A. But Lackey, no.

I had no problem with the reclassification if the MPSSAA had done it for every sport. But they certainly did not. They did the opposite. Now every other sport is unbalanced.

On another similar note, when I attended the MPSSAA football meeting last winter at BWI airport, several people in other counties complained about the unbalance of teams in regions. Specifically 1A were there are only 7 teams in the 1A South but 15 teams in the 1A North. When the complaint was bought up the Baltimore City and Baltimore County school reps stood up and said they absolutely did not want to break up the Baltimore schools into other regions and that was the end of that discussion. So unbalanced isn't a problem obviously unless someone from the West is winning all the state titles it appears. Yes I believe that. The West has no say...in politics, sports or life. The population centers make those decisions.

Last edited:
I have not spoken to coaches about this recently. But it obviously was a jab at reclassification in that if the MPSSAA continued to use the same classification formula they have used since 1974 than Lackey would easily still be a 2A school as would Douglass PG.

My personal feeling (and I'm sure it will be called homerism)...it took FH walking away with 4 straight state football titles before the MPSSAA did anything about adjusting for the first time in 44 years for football classification alignment rules. No question. I know this because the top MPSSAA administrators involved told me so. They thought 1A football was too weak. Was it too weak? Yes, but it has been weak for 44 years. That is why when a power such as FH or Dunbar finally gets in we see the end result and their domination.

But here is the huge hypocrisy: the MPSSAA says they didn't like the fact that before this new reclassification the numbers were unbalanced because 1A had too many small schools that don't field a football team. Because of this all the other classes had 50 football teams while 1A only had 37. OK, fine but now you have the hypocrisy. Now with this new reclassification there is an even amount of football teams in each class but in most every other sport such as basketball for example, 1A now how 12 more teams than every other class. So why was football so important to even up if you (the MPSSAA) don't care about the uneven numbers in the other sports that now exist? If the MPSSAA was to do this correctly they would have done like Pennsylvania where every sport has the teams counted and then divide evenly by four to get equal balance. Sports specific classifications. So Mountain Ridge for example may have been a 1A school in football but maybe 2A in girls soccer. But the MPSSAA didn't do this, they just adjusted for football to make sure 1A wasn't so easy to win in football. And there are certain people (emails) involved in that decision that didn't help Western Maryland out one bit. It was definitely bullshit.

However, it is important to note that the Dunbar enrollment is now just a hair less than FH. So even if the MPSSAA did not change their classification model, Dunbar would still have been moved back into 1A. But Lackey, no. They have about 200 more students.

I had no problem with the reclassification if the MPSSAA had done it for every sport. But they certainly did not. They did the opposite. Now every other sport is unbalanced.

On another similar note, when I attended the MPSSAA football meeting last winter at BWI airport, several people in other counties complained about the unbalance of teams in regions. Specifically 1A were there are only 7 teams in the 1A South but 15 teams in the 1A North. When the complaint was bought up the Baltimore City and Baltimore County school reps stood up and said they absolutely did not want to break up the Baltimore schools into other regions and that was the end of that discussion. So unbalanced isn't a problem obviously unless someone from the West is winning all the state titles it appears. Yes I believe that. The West has no say...in politics, sports or life. The population centers make those decisions.
Too bad that didn't years ago when FH was one of, if not the smallest 2A school!!

Why was Dunbar moved up to 2A in the first place??? If they had 1A numbers why were they moved up and now back down???

Why was Dunbar moved up to 2A in the first place??? If they had 1A numbers why were they moved up and now back down???

Dunbar enrollments did change, they had 2A enrollment the last 4 years now they don't. Just like the Douglass Ducks, who went from 1A when they played FH for two titles in 2013 and 2014, all the way up to 3A the last two years only to come back down to 1A again now. What a huge enrollment swing.

I don't get Baltimore enrollment changes all that well other than to know that in Baltimore City kids can attend whatever school they wish. As new schools pop up kids move around quite a bit and so enrollments bounce around like a roller coaster ride.

Reactions: camper21502
Once again, you can argue the MaxPreps numbers. They are not something a FH fan put together so at least there can be no bias. For someone who has been hard on the state media poll all these years for its lack of sense you seem to pull out the poll rankings quite a bit when comparing schedules. Yet at the same time the state poll says FH is better than Oakdale, Flowers, Calvert Hall, McDonogh, etc., of which you do not agree.

I have to disagree with you big time. I don't see FH better than those teams in the poll and I agree with BrianH in that this has been a brutal back stretch for any school to play. Those MaxPreps numbers may not be 100% accurate but the measuring gap speaks volumes. Yes it is a brutal stretch, especially for a 1A school who only pulls from its 1A student population.

If you are saying that the poll is flawed and FH is ranked way too high, and it makes no sense to have them ranked higher than Northwest, Calvert Hall, etc. That's one thing. But I haven't heard any one (at least on this board) say that. So you can't have it both ways. If you (or any one else) are holding up your poll rankings as legit, then it makes no sense to make a big deal about the #13 ranked school in the state beating a bunch of unranked teams. Once again, I'm not knocking the accomplishment, but why is it "brutal stretch" playing schools you are supposed to be so much better than?

Last edited:

Also, I'm not saying there is bias in MaxPreps, just extremely inaccurate. So when you lean so heavily on the MaxPreps calculations remember that they have FH ranked #574 nationally and they have Friendship Collegiate ranked #1940

Reactions: cumbfanatic

However, it is important to note that the Dunbar enrollment is now just a hair less than FH. So even if the MPSSAA did not change their classification model, Dunbar would still have been moved back into 1A. But Lackey, no.

thanks! i think that pretty much sums up what coach must have been referring to.

So, the MPSSAA is either tired of seeing FH, losing money, or both if they have to resort to "gerrymandering" within classes to liven things up.

Reactions: sentinel-nurse
So, the MPSSAA is either tired of seeing FH, losing money, or both if they have to resort to "gerrymandering" within classes to liven things up.
If that was the case, wouldn't it be easier to just move FH up to 2A rather than move other teams around?

They don't have enough student attending to logically do that. What is FH's enrollment now, under 1k total? I'll wager Lackey is near twice their size in that regard.

Bottom line...the new reclassification guidelines were changed for the first time in 44 years to make 1A football more difficult. This proposal originated and was directed by Mike Calhoun - MPSSAA Football Director.

The consequences from this now makes 1A basketball unbalanced. An Alco boys baskeball team for example now has to beat out 60 teams in 1A while all the other classes only have 46 teams.

MPSSAA ENROLLMENT NUMBERS: https://www.mpssaa.org/assets/1/6/Enrollment_Numbers_17-19.pdf

Bottom line...the new reclassification guidelines were changed for the first time in 44 years to make 1A football more difficult. This proposal originated and was directed by Mike Calhoun - MPSSAA Football Director.

The consequences from this now makes 1A basketball unbalanced. An Alco boys baskeball team for example now has to beat out 60 teams in 1A while all the other classes only have 46 teams.

MPSSAA ENROLLMENT NUMBERS: https://www.mpssaa.org/assets/1/6/Enrollment_Numbers_17-19.pdf
Mike Calhoun, oh yes....I can see why he'd want to make it harder on FH, Coach Appel has one upped him several times over. For all the "great" teams he had he managed one championship. Am I wrong?

Also, not sure if anyone read the Times-News monthly sports mag today but there is some hefty local football scheduling news in there. Anyone making the trip to Baltimore Week 1 next year? Or heading to Oakland for Week 6?

Reactions: Waggle Pass

Dude I appreciate all you do but for god sakes so FH had to play Lackey in the semifinal instead of Kent County. Don't start crying about having to play Friendship too? It's the semifinals, the score isnt supposed to be 42-0 at halftime. I say the same about Wise and martinsburg.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT