ADVERTISEMENT

Some interesting news from Garrett County

NG Huskies Fan

Blue Chip Poster
Apr 14, 2002
Although we don't know for sure the future of both Garrett County High Schools, both Garrett County football fields are supposedly getting field turf in summer 2020. News of this broke on the facebook page of one of the county commissioner candidates from 2018 and obviously the public is not happy with this. I too don't care for the idea of spending money on turf when, 1. we don't know if we are still going to have 2 high schools in 3, 5 or 10 years. 2. The schools themselves need repair. 3. The same facebook post mentioned more closures of elementary schools instead of addressing the issue of the secondary schools being only half full. Hopefully there'll be more clarity next month, but personally this is a bad idea. Plus, wouldn't being few of the schools that still have grass be a benefit? Do teams that typically play on turf struggle when they play on grass in bad weather games, or is it a moot point?

Although we don't know for sure the future of both Garrett County High Schools, both Garrett County football fields are supposedly getting field turf in summer 2020. News of this broke on the facebook page of one of the county commissioner candidates from 2018 and obviously the public is not happy with this. I too don't care for the idea of spending money on turf when, 1. we don't know if we are still going to have 2 high schools in 3, 5 or 10 years. 2. The schools themselves need repair. 3. The same facebook post mentioned more closures of elementary schools instead of addressing the issue of the secondary schools being only half full. Hopefully there'll be more clarity next month, but personally this is a bad idea. Plus, wouldn't being few of the schools that still have grass be a benefit? Do teams that typically play on turf struggle when they play on grass in bad weather games, or is it a moot point?
Well, I don't think the point of installing field turf would be because of the preference of field turf over natural grass. The bigger issue is the impossibility of maintaining the grass on the fields with the overuse that they see today.
Thirty years ago , the football field saw 5-6 jv, 5-6 varsity home games, and the 2 Oakland youth league teams played a combined 12-14 games on it each season. That and an annual Battle of the Bands competition was pretty much it for the wear on the field and it was kept immaculate.
Today , we have the same 10-12 home games by the JV and Varsity football teams. The two youth teams have been replaced by the Oakland Rams in the CVAL which now play with each home game a flag game plus A, B and C games. In addition there are both boys and girls soccer JV and Varsity home games played on that surface. As we all know, destroyed grass is not going to regrow in Garrett County in September.
I'm not saying I support the issue, I'm just saying I understand why they think there is a need. I actually would be more in favor of them creating a sports complex near the college to build a new stadium with field turf that could be shared by both schools now or already be ready when/if consolidation occurred. I've for years been a supporter of both teams playing their rivalry basketball game at Garrett College with their large gym and plentiful seating.

Last edited:
I always liked the idea of still having some natural grass fields. I know that from a keep up perspective it is a no brainier to install turf. All the kids that I have ever talked to have always preferred playing on grass rather than turf. As far as the money part goes... it depends on where the money is coming from. I wouldn't want it to come from the budget that the school is given. Most of the time it is funded by fundraisers, grants, or donations. I don't think you could argue if that were the case. It isn't like it would be taking money from the schools budget. One could argue that it might help both schools as they probably play most of their away games on turf already. I would love to see a new high school with both schools combined with an all new sports complex. It would be pretty awesome to say that all but one of the four county high schools were built in the last 15 years. (Allegany and Garrett County high schools)

Reactions: NG Huskies Fan
It is all speculation at the moment. While I am an advocate for consolidation, it is not going to happen any time soon. One High School would be optimal, and less elementary schools. Everyone complains of the bus travel times if consolidation were to happen, but it is no different than other surrounding areas that do the same thing. IF the money is spent on turf, then that money will more than likely come from donors, grants, etc. IF it comes from the already bloated budget, then I have issues with that. It makes perfect sense to turf the fields with all of the use, as stated in a previous post, but I also like the idea of building a central shared stadium, but then you have added costs of purchasing property, etc., etc, and we all know property in a central location on GC would not be cheap.

Reactions: NG Huskies Fan
I like the idea of a centralized stadium as well, while it is not a pressing need in the community in retrospect to other things, I think it would be a good idea. My whole thing is just the idea of putting turf in before making a decision on what the future of the schools are going to be, and where is the money coming from to pay for it. Someone on the facebook thread mentioned project open space as a possibility in which case that's fine since it has to be used for community purposes, but just from a practicality stand point the turf is going to have a life span of around 10 years or so are they coming to come up with a plan to constantly replace both fields? Just again thinking funding and long term. I'd either do the centralized stadium like you guys suggest or hold off and see what the long term facility plan is before doing this, just my thoughts.

I never liked the idea of a centralized stadium that multiple schools would share. It is amazing that Fort Hill and Allegany does it as well as they do. It could definitely be done. Saturday afternoon and evening games would be a way to do it. It kind of sucks because I know so many fans outside of Cumberland are so used to Friday night games. As a fan who's school isn't involved, I love it, it gives you a shot to see a local school and not have to worry about them playing the same time as your school.

News confirmed in this weeks paper. Looks like Rams and Huskies will have field turf in time for fall 2020. It was cleared up however that the money is from special funding that was made available as a one-time limited exclusively "to upgrade the football/soccer fields and cannot be utilized for other capital improvements or system needs". I guess this eliminates the debate over building a centralized new stadium or using the funds elsewhere that are more desperate. Unfortunately, as happens so often, you have to play the game to get many improvements.
Perhaps the new turf at greenway came the same way?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT