ADVERTISEMENT

Scrimmages?

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
Queen City Quad tomorrow at noon.

I believe Alco is on the road with South Hagerstown and another team. Not sure.

Who is scrimmaging who this week?

I saw a team photo Wadsworth has 74 players all dressed in the same uniform. I’m guessing it was JV and Varsity

How did FH look today? I missed it on in Nfhs
A couple of takeaways. Bridgeport looked very good. Spencer, and Perkins did not dress today. Not sure about offensively, but they are really needed on defense. Too much inexperience without them. Ross looked very effective on offense, especially catching the ball out of the backfield, including a long pass for a td where he just ran right through the middle of the defense wide open. Still not sure who wins the QB battle, seems Brown may have a slight edge over Carney. I for one was impressed with the young House kid in his limited time. Looked very smooth and poised. The freshman Bender is the real deal. He spent a lot of time on the field with the #2 offense and defense made his presence felt. He should get meaningful snaps as a freshman. Just one man's opinion.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
If u have never seen in person an unbalanced single wing offense run to perfection, then go see Bridgeport play. It's crazy stuff. They will win 9 or 10 games this year. I would not want to prepare for that offense.

Reactions: ravemwp
If u have never seen in person an unbalanced single wing offense run to perfection, then go see Bridgeport play. It's crazy stuff. They will win 9 or 10 games this year. I would not want to prepare for that offense.
It was fun to watch, but I agree, I wouldn't want to be a defensive coach trying to defend that.

Of note, the Winged-T is conceptually 80% single wing plays. Just run from the modified T formation with some adjustments.

When FH had their first group in, they looked like the usual FH Quad team that is sure to be the team to beat. But they were using different combos all day such as all 4 QBs, different linemen combinations, etc. To the average fan they see struggle at times. Scrimmages should not be about a scoreboard. All 4 QBs for FH bring something extra good to the table. Outside some fumbled snaps or handoffs today they are deep stocked here. As deep as I can ever remember.

I like the Quad when it has better competition for several reasons. One being that a run which usually rips off an 80 yard TD is only maybe a 12 yard run against a defense with speed. Love the Quad when it comes to development.

I felt Bridgeport was the best team at the Quad today. Of course this is their 2nd scrimmage with 2 weeks of extra WV prep. If FH and Bridgeport played mid-season it would be a dandy game. But Bridgeport is very, very good. It should be noted however, Clarkson North won the scoreboard against all 3 teams they faced. And they were all freshmen and sophomores. They opened with Bridgeport, who used their 2nd group.

This FH team is the usual quality. A good thing. Anything less than a state championship will not suffice. I find the schedule very interesting this season. It's way better than most realize.

Last edited:
When FH had their first group in, they looked like the usual FH Quad team that is sure to be the team to beat. But they were using different combos all day such as all 4 QBs, different linemen combinations, etc. To the average fan they see struggle at times. Scrimmages should not be about a scoreboard. All 4 QBs for FH bring something extra good to the table. Outside some fumbled snaps or handoffs today they are deep stocked here. As deep as I can ever remember.

I like the Quad when it has better competition for several reasons. One being that a run which usually rips off an 80 yard TD is only maybe a 12 yard run against a defense with speed. Love the Quad when it comes to development.

I felt Bridgeport was the best team at the Quad today. Of course this is their 2nd scrimmage with 2 weeks of extra WV prep. If FH and Bridgeport played mid-season it would be a dandy game. But Bridgeport is very, very good. It should be noted however, Clarkson North won the scoreboard against all 3 teams they faced. And they were all freshmen and sophomores. They opened with Bridgeport, who used their 2nd group.

This FH team is the usual quality. A good thing. Anything less than a state championship will not suffice. I find the schedule very interesting this season. It's way better than most realize.

I only counted 32 players for FH. Is depth of any concern?

I only counted 32 players for FH. Is depth of any concern?
They had 2 or 3 players not dressed. Spencer, and Perkins both defensive starters last year were the 2 that I noticed in street clothes. I also noticed that they brought 2 JV linemen down from practice to get a few late reps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Waggle Pass
I attended the Ridge vs Boonsboro scrimmage this evening. Ridge's first team looked fairly decent on both sides of the ball during the live game action portion of the scrimmage. They drove the length of the field on both of their possessions and scored both times, while holding Boonsboro scoreless. Second team didn't fair as well. I know it's early in the season but there is some work to be done. I am looking forward to the start of the season next week.
On a side note, did anyone attend the FH vs Catoctin scrimmage. I was wondering how Catoctin looked because Ridge makes the trip down there week two.

Reactions: Tony54
I attended the Ridge vs Boonsboro scrimmage this evening. Ridge's first team looked fairly decent on both sides of the ball during the live game action portion of the scrimmage. They drove the length of the field on both of their possessions and scored both times, while holding Boonsboro scoreless. Second team didn't fair as well. I know it's early in the season but there is some work to be done. I am looking forward to the start of the season next week.
On a side note, did anyone attend the FH vs Catoctin scrimmage. I was wondering how Catoctin looked because Ridge makes the trip down there week two.
Did not attend but MaxPreps has a score posted. FH 28 Catoctin 12. I guess accurate.

What's

What's the breakdown between freshman and sophomores? It would be awesome if there were numbers for an all freshman team like the not too distance past; just for the development.
The problem would probably finding other semi-local schools with freshman teams to play. Not sure FH would want the expense for a freshman team to travel very far.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT