ADVERTISEMENT

Question for officials out there

beall02

Franchise Poster
Jun 2, 2006
What is the rule for punts in high school. If a player attempts to down a punt at the 1 but his momentum carries him into the end zone. What is the call?

All scrimmage kicks (punts and unsuccessful field goals) not in player possession which cross the opponents goal line are touchbacks.

So as long as the official deams the player has possession of the ball it doesn't matter that he ends up in the end zone?

So as long as the official deams the player has possession of the ball it doesn't matter that he ends up in the end zone?
If a member of the kicking team is declared to have possession in the filed-of-play, the kick is ended and the ball is dead at that point. If an official does not declare that the kicking team player had possession in the field of play and that player's momentum puts him in the end zone before possessing the ball, it is a touchback.

That is what I thought. I wanted to make sure. I knew it was different from NFL but didn't know how it was interpreted. I like that rule better anyways.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT