ADVERTISEMENT

On to Friendship

"I'm not sure why the minutiae about the calls is that important in the first place" - because YOU brought it up.

Insinuating home cooking. False starts, personal fouls, unsportsmanlike, 12 men on the field...are not subject to geographical influences. If you jump before the ball is snapped in MD, Florida or on Mars...its a penalty.

If you take away EVERY false start call (which are no-brainers) and the 12 men on the field, the total is 14-9. FH had no false start calls or 12 men calls, which I personally think is a testament in some part, to more discipline and organization...but also a by product of the offensive styles. When you have 4 and 5WR sets, you are statistically much more apt to have false start calls than in a tight Wing T set. It's common sense.

It was a very physical game between two good teams. More personal fouls on either side than I would like, but not horribly lopsided, really. One of those personal fouls against FH was very crucial and directly led to a subsequent MCC TD. It played both ways. In a game of this caliber between two very good teams, every mistake or penalty was all the more significant both ways.

To address the question of the punter, I too wondered about that. Maybe because the punter started to run, then did a pooch punt, he didn't re-establish himself - in essence he was still a runner? I think it has something to do with that. Like if a QB starts his slide too late and gets hit by a defensive player already mid tackle sorta thing?

"I'm not sure why the minutiae about the calls is that important in the first place" - because YOU brought it up.

Insinuating home cooking. False starts, personal fouls, unsportsmanlike, 12 men on the field...are not subject to geographical influences. If you jump before the ball is snapped in MD, Florida or on Mars...its a penalty.

If you take away EVERY false start call (which are no-brainers) and the 12 men on the field, the total is 14-9. FH had no false start calls or 12 men calls, which I personally think is a testament in some part, to more discipline and organization...but also a by product of the offensive styles. When you have 4 and 5WR sets, you are statistically much more apt to have false start calls than in a tight Wing T set. It's common sense.

It was a very physical game between two good teams. More personal fouls on either side than I would like, but not horribly lopsided, really. One of those personal fouls against FH was very crucial and directly led to a subsequent MCC TD. It played both ways. In a game of this caliber between two very good teams, every mistake or penalty was all the more significant both ways.

To address the question of the punter, I too wondered about that. Maybe because the punter started to run, then did a pooch punt, he didn't re-establish himself - in essence he was still a runner? I think it has something to do with that. Like if a QB starts his slide too late and gets hit by a defensive player already mid tackle sorta thing?

I thought once the ball hit the ground, its fair game? Essentially turning the punter into a runner? I could be wrong though...

Yes, if the ball hits the ground the punter is a live runner. There can be no ruffing the punter. There can be a personal foul for targeting or unnecessary roughness but that would be no different than any other call on a tackle. Basically, the punter is now a running back.

I watched the film carefully, especially the penalties. I thought two personal fouls on MCC were horrible calls. I can see why the ref called it from what he may have seen but they were bad and should have been no-calls. I was not happy with the officiating at all. They called way too much for a big game like this. Stay out of it. If FH had 19 penalties I would be livid. And so if MCC was feeling the same I don't blame them. I'm not wearing blinders.

Although despite the flags I don't think they decided who won. MCC only punted twice and not because a penalty ended the drive. Even with penalties, MCC was moving the chains. Even with personal foul penalties helping the FH offense a few times they were irrelevant because MCC could not stop the FH offense with or without the penalties (only 1 punt for FH). MCC had a 14 point lead to start the 4th and lost on their own. It came down to who had to ball last as I suspected from the start.

Thanks for the explanation on the bad punt snap. I thought maybe the high school rule was different if the punter could reestablish himself as a punter which is what looked like happened on film. It reminded me of a controversial play back in the early 90s in Homecoming where the FH punter was roughed keeping FH alive to drive down and win the game on the final drive.

The one penalty that stuck out to me that night that I thought was a bad call was the facemask on MCC when 21 got spun around and tackled. The MCC player had his jersey up high, not his facemask. MCC was the more undisciplined team so it's natural they had more penalties.

If you were on the visitors side, you will agree, that MCC should have received at least 3-4 unsportsmanlike penalties on their coach. He spent most of the evening on the field. He did not appear to be wanting the addresses of the refs so he could send them a Christmas card.

It appeared that MCC players were as undisciplined as their coach. There were times where MCC looked to the sidelines for guidance but their coach was too busy taunting the crowd.

money is right. It was pretty bad. One of the plays MCC called a timeout because they had 10 men on the field on defense because their coach was too busy yelling at the FH crowd.

Always a hidden factor in the game, what did each team get away with vs. bad calls by the refs? I have seen the replay of two personal fouls against MCC that I think should have been non-calls. Now the one replay is not very good as the players are not in full screen shot and it’s hard to tell what happened. At the game, people who saw it said a MCC player unnecessarily hit a FH player in the back well behind and at the end of the play. On the unclear view on the replay it does not look that bad. Then the other call was a hit on FH’s QB as he was going down. It looked bad but was not that bad, it could have been serious if the FH player was hit in the back of the head but he wasn’t. I think it was an instant reaction by the ref which we see at the NFL level every week and those guys are paid big money - If it looks bad it must be a foul mentality that has taken over the game due to safety concerns.

With that said, did that change the outcome of the game vs the miss holds I saw that were not called? It’s always a five and take.

My question to any rule experts out there on this board, what is the rule on the botched punt snap that the MCC kicker was able to get off as he was getting drilled? I did not see the ball get touched by the defender but it looked like the FH player made contact with the punter before the ball hit the punter’s foot. With the ball not being touched by FH, I assume there was no penalty because the rusher hit the punter before the punter made contact with his foot. It was amazing he even got off such a decent punt getting hit like that.
not an expert at all, but i just heard this rule explained although it was college...they said if the ball is bobbled, dropped, or hits the ground before the kicker gets it, then he is treated like a runner, not a kicker.
anyone else?

money is right. It was pretty bad. One of the plays MCC called a timeout because they had 10 men on the field on defense because their coach was too busy yelling at the FH crowd.
One thing that I haven't heard a lot of people talk about is how much of an impact the FH crowd actually had. Usually home games are kinda quiet, it's the away games people tend to feel like they need to get involved more. The volume was turned up a good bit, and I think it really did help our guys. This has annoyed players/coaches from opposing teams in the past but more so on the road. When players and coaches are worried about the fans it is distracting so I personally think it had a lot to do with the final outcome.

One thing that I haven't heard a lot of people talk about is how much of an impact the FH crowd actually had. Usually home games are kinda quiet, it's the away games people tend to feel like they need to get involved more. The volume was turned up a good bit, and I think it really did help our guys. This has annoyed players/coaches from opposing teams in the past but more so on the road. When players and coaches are worried about the fans it is distracting so I personally think it had a lot to do with the final outcome.

One thing I don’t get is the band playing during live play! What I REALLY don’t get is them playing during FH’s offensive possessions. Not to long ago the band major used to look at the game to see if they should play at a lower volume, but now they just don’t give a f. Has something changed in the Maryland rules I’m unaware of???

Home crowd getting loud on our short play offensive possessions seems new to me, and may interfere with the cadence on the field

I (personally) grew up always seeing the crowd get loud when the opposing offense was on the field to try to disrupt their cadence. Seems counter productive to get loud when home offense is on the field

Reactions: BoyznBlue
One thing I don’t get is the band playing during live play! What I REALLY don’t get is them playing during FH’s offensive possessions. Not to long ago the band major used to look at the game to see if they should play at a lower volume, but now they just don’t give a f. Has something changed in the Maryland rules I’m unaware of???

Home crowd getting loud on our short play offensive possessions seems new to me, and may interfere with the cadence on the field

I (personally) grew up always seeing the crowd get loud when the opposing offense was on the field to try to disrupt their cadence. Seems counter productive to get loud when home offense is on the field

The band is not that loud and does not effect hearing calls on the field. The band is half the size it used to be. It was bigger when us older guys played and did not interfere then either.

The band is fun, they are into the game and it creates the atmosphere and adds to the event. You can tell the difference at games without bands. But they do not interfere. It’s not like they are drum-rolling or trying to drown out counts on the field.

Last edited:

This came up last year and it's not specifically addressed in the rule book, but it's considered unsportsmanlike. The MPSSAA has made a video about this situation. The only place I've seen this allowed is at Greenway.

Last edited:
NFHS does not have a rule. Some states do however
it is unclear if Maryland does have such a rule.

So there is no rule. Furthermore the fact that the FH band does not discriminate who is on the field. They are loud from start to finish no matter who has the ball. Love it.

So there is no rule. Furthermore the fact that the FH band does not discriminate who is on the field. They are loud from start to finish no matter who has the ball. Love it.

LOL, I love it that people were so upset I used the term "Home Cooking" at Greenway, but so far two FH fans have defended their band playing during live play. Something that doesn't take place any where else in the state, lol

LOL, I love it that people were so upset I used the term "Home Cooking" at Greenway, but so far two FH fans have defended their band playing during live play. Something that doesn't take place any where else in the state, lol
It’s not like the band only plays during the games at home. They played during the game against USO and hollidaysburg. It’s not really that big of a deal and if a coach doesn’t like it then like it was mentioned earlier in the thread, they can tell the ref to have the band stop.

It’s not like the band only plays during the games at home. They played during the game against USO and hollidaysburg. It’s not really that big of a deal and if a coach doesn’t like it then like it was mentioned earlier in the thread, they can tell the ref to have the band stop.
They can ask the ref to tell the band to stop, however, as BoyzinBlue post shows.... that since there is no rule in the book about it, they cannot throw a flag or penalize if they don't stop. This is something of which I was unaware.

Reactions: FortHillFan89
There is no need to defend something that is not against a rule. I could care less about you saying home cooking. That’s expected from you. So nothing new to get excited about.

Last edited:
NFHS does not have a rule. Some states do however
it is unclear if Maryland does have such a rule.

I remember when Keyser came to Greenway last year. Obviously the Alco band disappeared completely. But the Keyser band would play off and on during the game, but never after the ball was spotted and the teams would line up for the snap.

Homefield advantage is one thing, Boyz. Crowd noise, the band, the size of the stadium, the horn, steps, whatever...I'm totally on board with that.

Your insinuation of home cooking is not synonymous with homefield advantage.

Damn you Fort Hill band. Not only do you serve the best pizza this side of Chicago......now you are winning games for Fort Hill. I knew there was something shady with the flute section. David Cox will be over Friday to check out the tuba section to make sure there are no shenanigans going on. #EXPOSED !!!

Ever been to Martinsburg Boyz????

Why are you coming at me with the band stuff? GenSneaky brought that up, lol. I just posted the video trying to clear up the question about the rule. Mr. Witte said it was unsportsmanlike, maybe he's a FH hater, lol.

Why are you coming at me with the band stuff?

This isn't you, literally talking about the band?

I made two points... 1, I thought it was a issue in the past, because I literally witness the band conductor changing the volume of the band based upon what was going on, on the field
2, playing loud (if an actual “home field advantage”) didn’t make sense to do when our own offense was on the field.

Some of you guys are so funny pulling for anything negative about FH. They beat MCC so it’s “homecooking” despite there only being a couple of bad calls which are seen in almost every NFL game of every week. Now it’s the band is too loud. It’s only the blue side complaining. Wow, just wow. Passively jab at FH tradition and community. Is it jealousy, spitefulnes or just boredom?

We better test those band members for steroids. They made that TD to tie the game. I will talk to my daughter tonight since she is in the FH band to see what is going on. The FH band is part of the game as it should be. Playing songs in an open air stadium is not affecting play on the field. It has caused some opposing players in the past to dance sometimes. Some members actually shed some tears when MCC scored its final TD. I think that is great because they are into the game and part of the community and the team has paid tribute to the band after games since the 1996 playoffs.

Some of you guys are so funny pulling for anything negative about FH. They beat MCC so it’s “homecooking” despite there only being a couple of bad calls which are seen in almost every NFL game of every week. Now it’s the band is too loud. It’s only the blue side complaining. Wow, just wow. Passively jab at FH tradition and community. Is it jealousy, spitefulnes or just boredom?

We better test those band members for steroids. They made that TD to tie the game. I will talk to my daughter tonight since she is in the FH band to see what is going on. The FH band is part of the game as it should be. Playing songs in an open air stadium is not affecting play on the field. It has caused some opposing players in the past to dance sometimes. Some members actually shed some tears when MCC scored its final TD. I think that is great because they are into the game and part of the community and the team has paid tribute to the band after games since the 1996 playoffs.

"Is it jealousy, spitefulnes or just boredom?"

It's a forum. Do folks expect not to get comments? In fact, every time a new thread is started, don't folks expect to get comments?

"Is it jealousy, spitefulnes or just boredom?"

It's a forum. Do folks expect not to get comments? In fact, every time a new thread is started, don't folks expect to get comments?
Sure, people expect comments but we also would like answers to direct questions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT