ADVERTISEMENT

Oakdale thumps Damascus

OakdaleFootball

Junior Varsity Reader
Nov 7, 2017
I was at the Oakdale/Dmass game last night and witnessed the worst display of sportsmanship ever. Nobody has taught these Dmass kids how to lose with class. They had multiple unsportsmanlike penalties called on them over the last 5 minutes of play. The game was finally called by the officials with 0.56 seconds left after a Dmass player ripped off an Oakdale player's helmet and their bench cleared trying to start a brawl. Totally no class and an embarrassment to the school and the players who came before the current players who were part of the record 50 something game winning streak. Oakdale is a class program. It would be awesome to see an all Western Maryland Saturday at the Naval Academy with Oakdale and Fort Hill both bringing home state championships! Best of luck to the Sentinels today!

Too bad Oakdale did not play this game on a turf field. The natural grass field at Damascus was in terrible shape but they were adamant that the game be played at the Hornets Nest, although there were other turf fields available. Damascus knew their only chance of winning was on a sloppy track. I truly believe if this game was played on turf, Oakdale wins by 35. This was a throwback type game and fun to watch. My kind of old school football watching kids trying to get the mud out of their eyes on the sidelines but at the end of the day probably not the safest alternative in this new age of "soft" football. These kids will be telling stories about this game for the rest of their lives!

Last edited:
I do not have a problem with teams that earn home field to have the right to play on their home turf as long as it meets the regulations required by the MPSSAA. Both teams have to play on the same field at the same so if a game plan needs adjusted then that is the job of the coaches to develop it and the players to execute it.

Today, I actually believe that the home field turf does not help FH given FH’s strengths vs. Catoctin’s strengths. I believe FH wins this fairly easy as long as they keep the edge they have been playing with but the turf in this instance actually levels the playing field in my armchair view.

Too bad Oakdale did not play this game on a turf field. The natural grass field at Damascus was in terrible shape but they were adamant that the game be played at the Hornets Nest, although there were other turf fields available. Damascus knew their only chance of winning was on a sloppy track. I truly believe if this game was played on turf, Oakdale wins by 35. This was a throwback type game and fun to watch. My kind of old school football watching kids trying to get the mud out of their eyes on the sidelines but at the end of the day probably not the safest alternative in this new age of "soft" football. These kids will be telling stories about this game for the rest of their lives!
I think if I earned homefield advantage, I'm going to do everything to play at my home field. Not gladly give that up.

I think if I earned homefield advantage, I'm going to do everything to play at my home field. Not gladly give that up.
yeh if you don't like the field earn more points and you can have the home field advantage yourself.

It didn't matter to Oakdale. Oakdale would have played and beat Damascus in a cow pasture. The question the Oakdale coach posed was was the Damascus Field worthy of hosting a Regioanal Final playoff game in the condition it was in when there were better options. A valid question in my opinion. Oakdale did everything they could do to earn home field advantage. They are in a league and have to play all the teams in Frederick County except the small 1A teams and Frederick High. They scheduled an out of conference 3A team, 2 4A teams , and a perianal 2A playoff team. One of the 4A teams they scheduled let Oakdale know the day before they were going to play that they would not be fielding a team this year. Oakdale beat everyone on their schedule including 2 defending undefeated state champs this year (Damascus and Linganore). Plus another undefeated team, LIberty, in the first round of the playoffs.

It blows my mind that the money that is down in the part of that state , D’Mass dont have a turf field! But looking at some of the pictures of the game brings back old memories of Greenway when it was natural. Just wondering if the field had the same Whale Hump crown in the middle like Greenway did. Looking at the opponent on the other side,you could only see the players from the waist up on the sidelines.But awesome win for you guys!!! Hope to see ya at Annapolis. Let’s bring 2 more State Titles back to the West where they belong!!

It blows my mind that the money that is down in the part of that state , D’Mass dont have a turf field! But looking at some of the pictures of the game brings back old memories of Greenway when it was natural. Just wondering if the field had the same Whale Hump crown in the middle like Greenway did. Looking at the opponent on the other side,you could only see the players from the waist up on the sidelines.But awesome win for you guys!!! Hope to see ya at Annapolis. Let’s bring 2 more State Titles back to the West where they belong!!

“Opponents from the waist up.” That’s quite a bit of exaggeration, but yes, there was a runoff slope. Greenway Avenue was not the only natural field with such a feature.

Last edited:
“Opponents from the waist up.” That’s quite a bit of exaggeration, but yes, there was a runoff slope. Greenway Avenue was not the only natural filed with such a feature.
True, did have FH fans on here crying that Southern was cheating with their crown on their field. I guess they forgot about when FH had one.

Yes, the Dmass field did have a crown like Greenway used to have but probably not as severe. Those old crowns on the field is where that term for the running backs"running downhill came from." LOL.

“Opponents from the waist up.” That’s quite a bit of exaggeration, but yes, there was a runoff slope. Greenway Avenue was not the only natural filed with such a feature.
Really it's not the much of an exaggeration. You must not be old enough to have played on that field when it had this feature. I am a dinosaur and remember it well from my time playing on that field. LOL

It didn't matter to Oakdale. Oakdale would have played and beat Damascus in a cow pasture. The question the Oakdale coach posed was was the Damascus Field worthy of hosting a Regioanal Final playoff game in the condition it was in when there were better options. A valid question in my opinion. Oakdale did everything they could do to earn home field advantage. They are in a league and have to play all the teams in Frederick County except the small 1A teams and Frederick High. They scheduled an out of conference 3A team, 2 4A teams , and a perianal 2A playoff team. One of the 4A teams they scheduled let Oakdale know the day before they were going to play that they would not be fielding a team this year. Oakdale beat everyone on their schedule including 2 defending undefeated state champs this year (Damascus and Linganore). Plus another undefeated team, LIberty, in the first round of the playoffs.

I understand the sentiment of the Oakdale coach, but he’s, the Damascus filed was perfectly suitable for the game because they were the higher seed. Now, if it was dry week and Damascus flooded their field th
Really it's not the much of an exaggeration. You must not be old enough to have played on that field when it had this feature. I am a dinosaur and remember it well from my time playing on that field. LOL

I was in the last class to play on the natural field. A nice huge chunk of it was replanted in my parents yard.

Last edited:
Looks like four of the Damascus JV football players are being charged as adults and with first degree rape. Saw it on the 10 O'Clock news.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT