ADVERTISEMENT

Northern Garrett

Some of you may remember Neutral Observer from the old MDVarsity board and he occasionally posted here as well. Gave a great write up of the Homecoming game about 15 yrs ago. He goes by "JustMyThought" on the Sun board and recently posted his preseason playoff picture based on whatever criteria he uses. For 1A West he had it as......

1) 7.8 Ft. Hill (10-0)
2) 7.6 Northern-Gar (8-1)
3) 6.7 Boonsboro (8-2)
4) 5.9 Smithsburg (8-2)

Wouldn't it be ironic if Boonsboro would have to go to Northern for a playoff game after backing out of their contract for this year? He had Alco at 7-3 and no.5.

If I had read this a month or so ago, I'd say I disagree with it and that Alco should be a solid #2. However, I recently learned they may have unfortunately lost a significant returning starter. I dont have enough details to say anything more than that, and I certainly hope it's not accurate info. But that coupled with a brand new coach could cause more issues than I would've expected and 3 losses could be a low estimate.

Alco plays 2 games - Keyser and FH. The rest they can beat with their JV team. Campers go into Homecoming 8-1 or 9-0 easily like last fall.

Northern would never play anyone like Wheeling Central despite them being a WV Class A school. Everyone is out to play the worst schedule possible. That's how the system is set up.

As I mentioned in another post, Northern would not look seriously at Wheeling Central, especially given their schedule already. I know they have been on the up tick the last 5 years but I am not sure what to expect from them this year. I think 8-1 would be a reach. What do you think @NG Huskies Fan? They already have Smithsburg, Moorefield, Mountain Ridge and Allegany. That doesn't even consider Frankfort (which has been down in years past) but is usually a tough game.

Coming into the year I thought Alco was going to be very tough. Question is how do they react to the coaching change? This could be exactly what they needed to get over the hump of Fort Hill or it could be a disaster.

Until I just reviewed the schedule again it went unnoticed by me that Brunswick had added Fort Hill, Allegany, and Northern Garrett to an already tough schedule. That is pretty impressive for a Frederick County school. Does anyone know if the Fort Hill/Allegany contracts are two years?

Last edited:
Until I just reviewed the schedule again it went unnoticed by me that Brunswick had added Fort Hill, Allegany, and Northern Garrett to an already tough schedule. That is pretty impressive for a Carroll County school. Does anyone know if the Fort Hill/Allegany contracts are two years?

I think Todd said earlier that FH's is just this year.

Reactions: beall02
Alco is on the 2nd year of a home and home deal with Brunswick.
FH has a one year deal only for 2016 at Brunswick. This was a replacement for Clearfield (PA) who bailed on a signed 2 year contract with no penalty.

Also, Brunswick is in Frederick County.

I forgot Alco played Brunswick last year. Shows how much I pay attention to the Campers schedule. I was looking at eaglesinsider schedule post on the Baltimore Sun board while typing that post and saw under the schedule post for Brunswick "Central Maryland Conference" and guess for some reason I thought it said Carroll County. My bad.

Just to expand on the Clearfield Chicken Scratch topic...you will notice on the Clearfield schedule that they play Penns Valley on Sept 2 now where they had FH. Last year Clearfield played Penns Valley on September 9. When Pennsylvania decided to shift their week up for 2016, both Penns Valley and FH pleaded with Clearfield to just bump Penns Valley to August 25 and keep FH where they were. But Clearfield said "NO" because they already added newcomer Dubois before they even told FH they were not going to honor the contract for the return game to Cumberland. They basically filled their schedule and then called FH and said sorry but we have no where to move you now.

So Penns Valley spent 7 months trying to fill their August 25 hole as you can witness on all the open dates boards. I will never respect Clearfield ever again if/when their name ever pops up. That was a disgusting maneuver to screw people over out of fear of losing.

Didn't Clearfield do the same thing to Keyser a few years ago.

No. What screws up these inter-state contests are the week shifts. WV first play dates are usually last weekend in August and rarely ever shift. PA adjusts every 2-3 years depending on the calendar. One year they may have their week 1 game September 4 (same as Maryland) then the next year shift back to August 28 (same as WV). Well as an AD or schedule maker you have to be aware of this. Keyser and Clearfield were not paying attention. So the first year Clearfield visited Keyser for both teams Week 1 game on August 28, the next year under the contract Keyser was supposed to travel to Clearfield. But Week 1 for Clearfield shifted back to September 4 (which made it Week 2 for Keyser). They could not make it work after realizing the problem.

That is why at the top of my scheduling page I have this in big bold print:

IMPORTANT:
WEEK 1 - 2015
Maryland - September 4
Pennsylvania - September 4
West Virginia - August 28

WEEK 1 - 2016
Maryland - September 2 (First Practice: August 10)
Pennsylvania - August 26 (First Practice: August 8)
West Virginia - August 26 (First Practice: August 1)

WEEK 1 - 2017
Maryland - September 1 (First Practice: August 9)
Pennsylvania - August 25 (First Practice: August 7)
West Virginia - August 25 (First Practice: July 31)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT