ADVERTISEMENT

New Grace Media / HD televised sporting events.

If they could stream the away games live then they would have something... WCBC does radio for all the Alco games so how do they plan on using those guys when they would be at the Camper games??? How can they broadcast live when commercial video cant?? I think it's a joke guys lol...

I'm a little confused here a little.....
#1 I do hope if this gets the green light, I hope it works but I don't see it happening for many reasons. Nobody is going to pay the prices for these games unless the Away Games are included. If that happened let me know where to send my money.

I mean I have paid for a month a few times for NFHS Live the past few years to watch playoffs because I got to watch many other states as well and paid like $7.99 many FH fans and ex players told me I was crazy for wasting nearly $8 and that they would just listen on the radio for free.

#2 I don't understand why the school or BOE would want to take any money away from the school by allowing it, if they lose 10 people that buy the Home Season that's money out of the schools pocket.

#3 if they wouldn't ever allow Commercial Video to do it why would they allow this to happen?
commercial video used to do Allegany College Basketball live back in the late 80's early 90's so they could do it.

#4 Pay WCBC $300 a game? that will take 38 people buying the broadcast each game just to pay for that, I don't see 38 people tuning in each week to watch a High School Football game in Cumberland because 75% of Cumberland that don't have kids playing really could care less about it.
there's a few of us but I only go when I think it will be a good game other than that, I check the score on here when I get home late that night.

#5 if I was to buy such a thing, I wouldn't pay $99 for just Alco or just FH but would pay if they were both included in such price.

#6 I hate to say it, I am a very CONSERVATIVE on the Right but I can see the whole tied to Religion thing being a problem, not with me but other people around the Community and Especially The BOE in the crazy times we are living in.

#7 I could also see complaints as I read students will be helping with the production and such as Students are helping a company make money off of sporting events of other students, it would make sense if it was the students doing this and making all the money for their said school I have in the past tried to figure out why the School students didn't have a setup with camera's and such and linked in with one of the radio stations for football games as well as just video for Basktball games on NFHS https://www.nfhsnetwork.com i just looked and it's $9.95 a month now and that's having many games from states all over and the schools also make money from this.

Once again hate to sound like debbie downer over here..... wish ya the best of luck with this thing

I'm a little confused here a little.....
#1 I do hope if this gets the green light, I hope it works but I don't see it happening for many reasons. Nobody is going to pay the prices for these games unless the Away Games are included. If that happened let me know where to send my money.

I mean I have paid for a month a few times for NFHS Live the past few years to watch playoffs because I got to watch many other states as well and paid like $7.99 many FH fans and ex players told me I was crazy for wasting nearly $8 and that they would just listen on the radio for free.

#2 I don't understand why the school or BOE would want to take any money away from the school by allowing it, if they lose 10 people that buy the Home Season that's money out of the schools pocket.

#3 if they wouldn't ever allow Commercial Video to do it why would they allow this to happen?
commercial video used to do Allegany College Basketball live back in the late 80's early 90's so they could do it.

#4 Pay WCBC $300 a game? that will take 38 people buying the broadcast each game just to pay for that, I don't see 38 people tuning in each week to watch a High School Football game in Cumberland because 75% of Cumberland that don't have kids playing really could care less about it.
there's a few of us but I only go when I think it will be a good game other than that, I check the score on here when I get home late that night.

#5 if I was to buy such a thing, I wouldn't pay $99 for just Alco or just FH but would pay if they were both included in such price.

#6 I hate to say it, I am a very CONSERVATIVE on the Right but I can see the whole tied to Religion thing being a problem, not with me but other people around the Community and Especially The BOE in the crazy times we are living in.

#7 I could also see complaints as I read students will be helping with the production and such as Students are helping a company make money off of sporting events of other students, it would make sense if it was the students doing this and making all the money for their said school I have in the past tried to figure out why the School students didn't have a setup with camera's and such and linked in with one of the radio stations for football games as well as just video for Basktball games on NFHS https://www.nfhsnetwork.com i just looked and it's $9.95 a month now and that's having many games from states all over and the schools also make money from this.

Once again hate to sound like debbie downer over here..... wish ya the best of luck with this thing
You said almost everything I was thinking, but I have a few things to add.
I for one understand how tough it is to start a business and keep it above water. A lot of the criticism and accusations from people who have lived in Cumberland their whole life seems a little bizarre. If we all agree the economy and poverty is at the bottom of the state year after year, maybe it's because those who have gotten and kept us there don't really know what they are doing. The old saying is if you aren't part of the solution you are part of the problem. Keeping any business from the consumer is illogical. Any product is consumer driven, if the product isn't as good or too expensive it will fail. If it fails there will be somebody else to fill the void if there is demand.
Circling the wagons and keeping somebody out just because there's somebody already in a similar business seems short-sighted.
A monopoly is never good for consumers. That doesn't mean I'm for or against this venture. It means I'm willing to take somebody at their word and listen to their ideas, and either pay for it or don't. To try and discourage them from trying or hoping they fail is mean-spirited.
If the reason you are against it is because it is FH and not Allegany when the reason for that has been explained, I'd rather hear why the reasoning is flawed than to hear rants that come off as envy and jealousy.

I love Commercial Video's broadcasts. I just wish they offered a higher resolution picture. I'd be willing to pay for it.

I can't speak for CV, but to be in HiDef.... you have to be on a HD channel 1st. They're still on basic cable, because there is no high definition channel 20 (720).

You said almost everything I was thinking, but I have a few things to add.
I for one understand how tough it is to start a business and keep it above water. A lot of the criticism and accusations from people who have lived in Cumberland their whole life seems a little bizarre. If we all agree the economy and poverty is at the bottom of the state year after year, maybe it's because those who have gotten and kept us there don't really know what they are doing. The old saying is if you aren't part of the solution you are part of the problem. Keeping any business from the consumer is illogical. Any product is consumer driven, if the product isn't as good or too expensive it will fail. If it fails there will be somebody else to fill the void if there is demand.
Circling the wagons and keeping somebody out just because there's somebody already in a similar business seems short-sighted.
A monopoly is never good for consumers. That doesn't mean I'm for or against this venture. It means I'm willing to take somebody at their word and listen to their ideas, and either pay for it or don't. To try and discourage them from trying or hoping they fail is mean-spirited.
If the reason you are against it is because it is FH and not Allegany when the reason for that has been explained, I'd rather hear why the reasoning is flawed than to hear rants that come off as envy and jealousy.

Don't confuse a monopoly with what is a fragile public service broadcast by Commercial Video. It is supported, literally, by a handful of local advertisers who are making a great public relations contribution to the city. They should be commended.

The only future monopoly would be if a pay per view knocks them off the air. And, the only selfish perspective would be from those who don't care if it happens because FH would get some temporary gain out of it.

I love Commercial Video's broadcasts. I just wish they offered a higher resolution picture. I'd be willing to pay for it.
that would be a plus. it would also help if they didn't put cameras behind the bench behind large people so that the only shot you are getting is the backside of somebody and not the play(see the opening kickoff). sometimes you can read the numbers and sometimes you can't. it wouldn't hurt for some competition to get them to up their game a little. i don't know about anybody else but that black opium commercial that plays back to back almost every commercial is something if i don't hear the rest of my life i'd be happy about!

Ok, so it sounds like you're advertising a product of which that you haven't got a patent. Also sounds like your just going to the BOE with a better mouse trap.

I want to expand on my idea. If approved by the BOE, then also make sure you can get approved by AtlanticBB that your broadcasts can be shown in HD.

If you get that far... (create a demand by) Only do away games for either team not at home any particular week.

Do both teams on a "split" weekend that consists of a Friday (night) and Saturday (afternoon/night) games.

If done well enough, it will create a "buzz" that will create a demand for better coverage/service. This will earn your way.

You can't just come out and ask everyone to stop our traditions. We go to the game, and (real fans) watch the replay after (regardless of quality).

As much as I hate the thought that live coverage would hurt attendance (attendance being PART OF THE TRADITION), I can't help but be honest that this is the only plausible business model that would work for your personal long game.

If you want to be the company that gives (our) kids great exposure, then focus on THAT. Your (implied) desire to help our children would be greatly appreciated.

This advice is getting close to the point I'm going to be charging a consulting fee

Good luck

Ok, so it sounds like you're advertising a product of which that you haven't got a patent. Also sounds like your just going to the BOE with a better mouse trap.

I want to expand on my idea. If approved by the BOE, then also make sure you can get approved by AtlanticBB that your broadcasts can be shown in HD.

If you get that far... (create a demand by) Only do away games for either team not at home any particular week.

Do both teams on a "split" weekend that consists of a Friday (night) and Saturday (afternoon/night) games.

If done well enough, it will create a "buzz" that will create a demand for better coverage/service. This will earn your way.

You can't just come out and ask everyone to stop our traditions. We go to the game, and (real fans) watch the replay after (regardless of quality).

As much as I hate the thought that live coverage would hurt attendance (attendance being PART OF THE TRADITION), I can't help but be honest that this is the only plausible business model that would work for your personal long game.

If you want to be the company that gives (our) kids great exposure, then focus on THAT. Your (implied) desire to help our children would be greatly appreciated.

This advice is getting close to the point I'm going to be charging a consulting fee

Good luck
I wonder if it would really hurt attendance. I'm sure we've all noticed there are plenty of seats even at big games like Keyser. Allegany Dunbar was way less and that's with a lot of FH fans there. The attendance is just not what it used to be. If people wanted to see the game for the most part they would go. You might have an elderly or sick person take advantage but you can't make money off of that.
BTW - Excellent post gensneaky!

Reactions: GenSneaky
So, just to be clear since I went through this thread pretty fast. The game Friday night did not get webcast? Since I live in New Orleans, obviously going to any games is out, but I wanted to get some feedback on quality before I spent any money. At first I was really excited because I was going to get to watch/listen to a game without having to hear the idiots on WCBC. But then when I read that they were doing the webcast I lost a little bit of interest, but at least I would be able to see what was going on (Unlike them apparently most of the time)

If it did Webcast, how was the quality?

So, just to be clear since I went through this thread pretty fast. The game Friday night did not get webcast? Since I live in New Orleans, obviously going to any games is out, but I wanted to get some feedback on quality before I spent any money. At first I was really excited because I was going to get to watch/listen to a game without having to hear the idiots on WCBC. But then when I read that they were doing the webcast I lost a little bit of interest, but at least I would be able to see what was going on (Unlike them apparently most of the time)

Well the so-called idiots @ WCBC dont do FH games only on special occasions so im not sure who your listening too unless your listening to the Campers... I like WCBC I think they have the best football coverage/broadcast team in the area...

Reactions: BoyznBlue
Sorry, thought it was WCBC, I hit a button on my Soundtouch and it plays....anyway the guys who do the FH games are idiots.....it's so hard to follow the games, they constantly mess up the players and yardage...First down...no he came up short, 3rd and 5....how are you off 5 yards??? I know I listened to Allegany's broadcast for homecoming and those guys were much better.

Reactions: towpath94
Sorry, thought it was WCBC, I hit a button on my Soundtouch and it plays....anyway the guys who do the FH games are idiots.....it's so hard to follow the games, they constantly mess up the players and yardage...First down...no he came up short, 3rd and 5....how are you off 5 yards??? I know I listened to Allegany's broadcast for homecoming and those guys were much better.
Yeah I know which station your talking about and yeah they are pretty bad lol...

WCBC does a quality job, has for years.
Yep, WCBC has the best coverage around here.
The old WTBO guys that did FH games was horrendous.
it was something like this....
There he goes JOE JONES into The Secondaryyyyyyyyyyy.......... he is finally brought down for a gain of about a yard. all the while the color guy was talking at the same time FH is Amazing, the ref's are killing us, did you get a chubby when FH came down the steps..... seriously it was sickening. You would have to listen for 20 minutes just to have an idea what was actually going on in the football game.

Reactions: towpath94
Commercial Video would offer live TV coverage if it were permitted. They don't because it's not allowed. It won't be offered live. Ever. Been that way for 25 years. The BOE has always held firm on that.

Right, wrong or indifferent, the BOE calls the shots.
will Commercial Video be going to The BOE to see if they can play the games live on TV or internet? since they have been doing it for years and weren't allowed to do such a thing but now someone is trying to do that exact thing?

will Commercial Video be going to The BOE to see if they can play the games live on TV or internet? since they have been doing it for years and weren't allowed to do such a thing but now someone is trying to do that exact thing?

I would be shocked if they allowed truly live broadcast any time in the near future. Because (as was mentioned previously) the assumption that fans would stop attending games at Greenway and just sit at home and watch. Football is notoriously traditional and probably even more so in Allegany County. On a national level I remember it was a big deal when ESPN started broadcasting college games on Friday nights. It was thought it would hurt the local high schools because people would stop coming out to see the high school games, but now Friday night TV games are ordinary.

I knew this guy was joking when he said he was going live and he has wcbc guys doing his FH games lol It was either a stupid joke or this guy just didn't do his homework... It was funny to see how many FH ppl bought into it...

Reactions: cumbfanatic

Yeah. They'll argue over whether it's 2 and a short 9, or 2 and long 8 for the entire next play. The worst in the area has got to be Keyser, though. If Keyser doesn't have the ball, they won't even describe what's going on. They'll be talking about youth league and then all of a sudden tell you how the other team just made the extra point to make it 21-14 (just an example). They leave out the entire drive.

Reactions: camper21502
Yep, WCBC has the best coverage around here.
The old WTBO guys that did FH games was horrendous.
it was something like this....
There he goes JOE JONES into The Secondaryyyyyyyyyyy.......... he is finally brought down for a gain of about a yard. all the while the color guy was talking at the same time FH is Amazing, the ref's are killing us, did you get a chubby when FH came down the steps..... seriously it was sickening. You would have to listen for 20 minutes just to have an idea what was actually going on in the football game.

Agree with WCBC on the play-by-play. Rock Cioni is the only true play-by-play in the area. Almost everybody on any other broadcast is doing color. Rock gives you name, yardage, down and distance on every play.

It's nice to see folks get a good chew on this subject. For an early minute there I thought my backside was hanging out all alone again.

You can watch Commercial Video broadcasts of Fort Hill and Allegany games online for free right now. http://www.commercialvideoservices.com/webcasts.htm

Yes I am aware that you guys have the broadcasts online and for free. I don't have any relatives on the team any longer so watching a game I know the result of doesn't really interest me. I do from time to time browse the games to see how good the teams look though and do appreciate the service!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT