ADVERTISEMENT

New Grace Media / HD televised sporting events.

FortHillFan89

Blue Chip Poster
Oct 31, 2009
Fort Hill Football is only the start to get updated televised games.

This is only the start. I've met the gentleman that is trying to make this happen. It's a substantial investment.

What I can tell you. I like the guys background. I've met Ryan and have spoken with him about where he has come from and where he'd like to take this opportunity. It's his story to share so I will allow him to formally introduce himself in a future thread or this thread where you can ask questions and get straight answers.

What I know..

He wants to eventually do all Greenway Ave football games and other sporting events.

He has tools that would allow kids to be able to either make or get high def quality recruitment videos. Hopefully substantially better than the Hudle method kids use now. <-- Ryan can elaborate more on this.

If memory serves me correct we are talking instant replay. During live play.

Other technologies that will immerse you in the game. Pretty cool stuff that some ideas him and I have yet to discuss.

Much much more.

There will be people that buck. It's human nature. I know Ryan has made a substantial investment. To my knowledge he's the first to want to financially give back to the area. There will be growing pains likely. It's a huge undertaking and a huge jump in technology that will benefit all community sports when up and running.

With all of the businesses closing doors in Cumberland we should be supportive of someone willing to take a chance and invest in our community.

Reactions: towpath94
Fort Hill Football is only the start to get updated televised games.

This is only the start. I've met the gentleman that is trying to make this happen. It's a substantial investment.

What I can tell you. I like the guys background. I've met Ryan and have spoken with him about where he has come from and where he'd like to take this opportunity. It's his story to share so I will allow him to formally introduce himself in a future thread or this thread where you can ask questions and get straight answers.

What I know..

He wants to eventually do all Greenway Ave football games and other sporting events.

He has tools that would allow kids to be able to either make or get high def quality recruitment videos. Hopefully substantially better than the Hudle method kids use now. <-- Ryan can elaborate more on this.

If memory serves me correct we are talking instant replay. During live play.

Other technologies that will immerse you in the game. Pretty cool stuff that some ideas him and I have yet to discuss.

Much much more.

There will be people that buck. It's human nature. I know Ryan has made a substantial investment. To my knowledge he's the first to want to financially give back to the area. There will be growing pains likely. It's a huge undertaking and a huge jump in technology that will benefit all community sports when up and running.

With all of the businesses closing doors in Cumberland we should be supportive of someone willing to take a chance and invest in our community.

One could assume that the lack of community media support (mentioned in the first post in an other thread) is from the lack of supporting the community - as a whole. This is a commercialization of a Fort Hill venture in a very limited market. Targeting the marquee school - even using their students, while siphoning off precious attendance and ad dollars, does not 'niche fill' in my opinion.

Besides, tell me Allegany students rejected this same opportunity. Tell me Allegany was made the exact same offer. Explain to me why this is 'forthillfootball.com' and not community oriented.

The 10% and 5.5% along with the scholarship funding is a nice touch - and just that. They appear at first blush to be smart business folks, which we all should applaud. But to me - my opinion only from what I read - is that Cumberland barely supports commercial businesses and the few jobs they provide. Those businesses use their few advertising dollars to support the entire community. The ads that are run on the delayed broadcasts cover both schools. I know. I watch the games of both schools.

How many times has Cumberland been sold progress only to receive another 'overhead bridge' to nowhere. Saying they have high definition is like saying the overhead bridge is an interstate highway.

Look, I am generally the only naysayer around here - and I have had my say. Few will read my words and even fewer will consider them valid.

But, it's a forum and it's my opinion. Of course, I reserve the right to change my opinion if other information becomes available.

Wow. As far as I know it started the way it did because of the social channels already in place. Nothing more. Not a slight against anyone. But of course it gets taken that way. Maybe he intends to create an Allegany site if they wish to get involved. Maybe he doesn't want to bite off more than he can chew. Give the man a chance. He's not a FH guy to my knowledge. Life is not always a conspiracy theory nor a battle about schools. Give the man a chance to get his feet wet. He has to start somewhere. Can you imagine if you schedule all of these games and there is major technical difficulties? There are so many possibilities. I typically agree quite a bit on things you say Lag but not this time.

Wow. As far as I know it started the way it did because of the social channels already in place. Nothing more. Not a slight against anyone. But of course it gets taken that way. Maybe he intends to create an Allegany site if they wish to get involved. Maybe he doesn't want to bite off more than he can chew. Give the man a chance. He's not a FH guy to my knowledge. Life is not always a conspiracy theory nor a battle about schools. Give the man a chance to get his feet wet. He has to start somewhere. Can you imagine if you schedule all of these games and there is major technical difficulties? There are so many possibilities. I typically agree quite a bit on things you say Lag but not this time.

As I have posted before, I spent over 30 years in the corporate marketing world and raised thousands for rec councils.... all of this in areas where money was fairly plentiful. That is not Cumberland. Be honest with local businesses that every dime they invest goes to support only FH and see how much support you get - and what you do get will really hurt the stability of the media coverage you already have.

There is no conspiracy in seeing, by definition, that this program is exclusive to FH - and, in a city with ever shrinking resources, a selfish choice is forced on everyone living and doing business there.

As a pure business consideration, I understand volume times turn as well as the challenges of startups. The new Allegany will be the true 'high tech' media school in the city starting next year and not having them already locked up in the program speaks volumes.

Look, getting media to help FH athletes is admirable. Giving experience and scholarships to FH media students is admirable. Any additional cash flowing into FH for whatever source is more than admirable.

Anything that reduces support for half the community erases everything else.

I cant see this working out when it's cheaper to watch the game live or free to watch it later... The price has got to be right and they should feature both schools like commercial video...

Reactions: cumbfanatic
I cant see this working out when it's cheaper to watch the game live or free to watch it later... The price has got to be right and they should feature both schools like commercial video...

The only business model I can imagine is to blitz thru town and put the other guy out of business. Cumberland does not have the viewer base nor the financial wherewithal to sustain more than one provider. All you would have to do is knock off one or two of the financial resources for the commercial video to possibly remove its viability.

How many things have you seen happen in Cumberland where the folks wake up the next day and ask themselves, "How did they let that happen?" Sure, Alco folks would ask the question, but they would not be surprised that suddenly only FH had media coverage despite the fact they had the 'high tech' school.

Thanks FortHillFan89. You are correct, the technical side of this is like walking uphills to school both ways in 8 feet of snow and no shoes. There is a lot that can go wrong, so we do want to phase in. It is opportunistic in the sense that it at leasts needs to cover the costs. We are paying WCBC $300 a game for the announcers. We have every intention of opening this up to more programs and we already have taken steps to own www.AlleganyFootball.com. We look forward to having the chance to earn the trust of the fans.

We do see this working out, a large part of FH fans are from out of town, others cannot physically make it to the game. We do want to expand this, but lets accomplish one thing at a time. We are going to be giving back to all Allegany Schools in ways not heard of.

Reactions: BoyznBlue
The only business model I can imagine is to blitz thru town and put the other guy out of business. Cumberland does not have the viewer base nor the financial wherewithal to sustain more than one provider. All you would have to do is knock off one or two of the financial resources for the commercial video to possibly remove its viability.

How many things have you seen happen in Cumberland where the folks wake up the next day and ask themselves, "How did they let that happen?" Sure, Alco folks would ask the question, but they would not be surprised that suddenly only FH had media coverage despite the fact they had the 'high tech' school.

Lag,

First, I trust that we will win you over per say. We are not a move through town blitz and put others out of business type company. The fact is that we have a desire to see the program broadcast in better quality, there is a market for what we would like to do and we are not the bad guys.

I do not expect the fact that giving 10% back to the program is the end all solution and people should roll out the red carpet. We have offered live stream all Allegany County Schools graduation for free.

I come into the venture with a lot of marketing experience and left a position in marketing with Red Bull to go into ministry. I work here, live here and want to support here. Our partnership with WCBC means that the ad dollars are still being put to great use. I would disagree with you that Cumberland is some depressed place though that doesn't have pockets of thriving activity.

We again want to support ALL programs, ALL schools but need to phase this thing in.

Ryan

I believe he wants to do all football games. It's not a FH thing.

You're a good guy. You do good things. I am certain you have honest faith in this person.

I am only judging what has been presented as fact. If Allegany is not already part of it - which it should be even as a good business decision - then it is not good for Cumberland. I realize that there is this perspective in half of town and downstate that if you lock up FH, you lock up the Cumberland market.

I get it. FH has the fan base and the championships. So, one might think that you can come to town, funnel all the benefits to a single school, and no one will be the wiser until it's too late to be wiser.

It's a business model. I am certainly not suggesting it is unethical. I am suggesting - from what I read - that it is not the best business model for Cumberland.

You're a good guy. You do good things. I am certain you have honest faith in this person.

I am only judging what has been presented as fact. If Allegany is not already part of it - which it should be even as a good business decision - then it is not good for Cumberland. I realize that there is this perspective in half of town and downstate that if you lock up FH, you lock up the Cumberland market.

I get it. FH has the fan base and the championships. So, one might think that you can come to town, funnel all the benefits to a single school, and no one will be the wiser until it's too late to be wiser.

It's a business model. I am certainly not suggesting it is unethical. I am suggesting - from what I read - that it is not the best business model for Cumberland.

Which is why you will see that we already own www.AlleganyFootball.com to make this happen. We intend to leave no one or no school out. To do both first year and have duplicate equipment that can travel would cost in excess of $32,000. We are filming on cameras that run $8,999 per camera plus switching gear, live stream gear, graphics and the 3 macbooks that takes to run it all. I will not compromise on quality and so for now, it was a business decision to go with Fort Hill. You being in market could certainly understand that.

Lag,

First, I trust that we will win you over per say. We are not a move through town blitz and put others out of business type company. The fact is that we have a desire to see the program broadcast in better quality, there is a market for what we would like to do and we are not the bad guys.

I do not expect the fact that giving 10% back to the program is the end all solution and people should roll out the red carpet. We have offered live stream all Allegany County Schools graduation for free.

I come into the venture with a lot of marketing experience and left a position in marketing with Red Bull to go into ministry. I work here, live here and want to support here. Our partnership with WCBC means that the ad dollars are still being put to great use. I would disagree with you that Cumberland is some depressed place though that doesn't have pockets of thriving activity.

We again want to support ALL programs, ALL schools but need to phase this thing in.

Ryan

Thank you for addressing me personally and in a very gentlemanly manner. I have little doubt that you are a spirit-filled person and in turn that Allegany County has many riches in faith - but in truth, Allegany County ranks third in poverty in the state - only behind Baltimore city and Somerset County on the Eastern Shore.

Thank you for addressing me personally and in a very gentlemanly manner. I have little doubt that you are a spirit-filled person and in turn that Allegany County has many riches in faith - but in truth, Allegany County ranks third in poverty in the state - only behind Baltimore city and Somerset County on the Eastern Shore.

Faith really is a basis for our desire to give back and support this region. It isn't just in football but many non profits, faith based and non faith based. The challenges are big, but sometimes you just lean in and go for it. I look forward to chatting more when we bring in the other programs. We are on hold for this week until a meeting can happen at the BOE. This was a late breaking development in our request for use of the facility.

Having retired from a Fortune 500 company, I do understand. I understand that 'best practices' demand that you present the same opportunity to every consideration in that market and adjust your offer accordingly. I also understand that those costs will be there year after year, so how are you going to offer that program to another school in year two or three if your business model is to duplicate everything in a major gift.

When you consider the scholarships, student participation and funding, this is a staggering exclusive to a single public school when there are two schools in the city. Moreover, these are home games where both schools play at the same stadium. I don't understand the lack of communication with Allegany as to how they might bring something to the table on this.

Whatever you are doing, it isn't community. You structured this for a single school without a dialogue to hear how anybody else could participate. Sure, it is a business decision. You are doing business with FH.

Spin it any way you want. The bottom line is that this is about FH and not Allegany. Just like a typical little brother ......whine and cry until you get what big brother has. How soon Allegany forgets..... fall back on your 8 state titles and your award winning band.

Lag,
I believe you said it earlier. FH does have the fans to support this. What could alco possibly offer? When alco played Dunbar there wernt even 450 allegany fans there so do you believe that blue fans will come out in droves to watch a game online? That's a joke. Right now stick to FH. Smart business decision.

Having retired from a Fortune 500 company, I do understand. I understand that 'best practices' demand that you present the same opportunity to every consideration in that market and adjust your offer accordingly. I also understand that those costs will be there year after year, so how are you going to offer that program to another school in year two or three if your business model is to duplicate everything in a major gift.

When you consider the scholarships, student participation and funding, this is a staggering exclusive to a single public school when there are two schools in the city. Moreover, these are home games where both schools play at the same stadium. I don't understand the lack of communication with Allegany as to how they might bring something to the table on this.

Whatever you are doing, it isn't community. You structured this for a single school without a dialogue to hear how anybody else could participate. Sure, it is a business decision. You are doing business with FH.

Lag, I realize that I may not be able to make happy. I am ok with that, you are looking at this from one side. You are a Camper who wants equal rights for all, and if you open up your checkbook and write me a check for $32k I will be happy to film your team. Until then, I will do things that are financially feasible for me. I say that not being mean but this is the reality.

As far as the lack of communication with Allegany, they have my phone number and can call at any time to discuss. I should also note that this kicked off within 2 weeks, so to be fair, and you not knowing the backstory, if we had months of planning, you would have a right to be upset.

Also, since I am paying WCBC $300 per game, hopefully you would be willing to sign up if we broadcast Allegany games.

Faith really is a basis for our desire to give back and support this region. It isn't just in football but many non profits, faith based and non faith based. The challenges are big, but sometimes you just lean in and go for it. I look forward to chatting more when we bring in the other programs. We are on hold for this week until a meeting can happen at the BOE. This was a late breaking development in our request for use of the facility.

I purposely avoided the issue of a public school receiving a huge financial gain from a religious organization. Are you quasi-nonprofit, nonprofit or basically just a faith-based business.

I purposely avoided the issue of a public school receiving a huge financial gain from a religious organization. Are you quasi-nonprofit, nonprofit or basically just a faith-based business.

I am a business. My values of my business are rooted around my faith, however not all staff share the same beliefs and that is what makes the team great.

Let's keep the seats filled in the stadium.... that's part of our tradition, as well as intimidation. If alumni who live out of town want to watch live I get that. However individuals who "can't make it" are typically the same individuals who know very little about the Internet, and likely prefer listening on the radio.

I feel most of the competitors audience just watched the game live from a (paid) stadium seat. They then want to see the replay to debate penalties, and other calls made on the field. I don't see these people paying additional fees.

As a fan I appreciate the desire to update our status, but I feel most fans are set in their way.

Lag, I realize that I may not be able to make happy. I am ok with that, you are looking at this from one side. You are a Camper who wants equal rights for all, and if you open up your checkbook and write me a check for $32k I will be happy to film your team. Until then, I will do things that are financially feasible for me. I say that not being mean but this is the reality.

As far as the lack of communication with Allegany, they have my phone number and can call at any time to discuss. I should also note that this kicked off within 2 weeks, so to be fair, and you not knowing the backstory, if we had months of planning, you would have a right to be upset.

Also, since I am paying WCBC $300 per game, hopefully you would be willing to sign up if we broadcast Allegany games.

"... write me a check for $32k I will be happy to film your team."
- So just to be absolutely clear, Allegany has to fully fund you while you give everything to Fort Hill. Please make this clear in your 'mission statement' to the BOE when you meet with them. And, make this clear to any and all businesses that you intend to solicit advertising from.

"...Allegany, they have my phone number." - That is how you did business working for Red Bull? In my world, a person would not have left on their own terms doing business like that.

"hopefully you would be willing to sign up if we broadcast Allegany games." - I am a Cumberland fan and go to either school's games when in town and always catch both schools on the Commercial Videos. So, yes I would possibly sign up if both schools were part of the package and it was reasonable. But the way you are dumping the cost on Allegany and fully funding Fort Hill makes this unseemly in its current form.

Lag,
I believe you said it earlier. FH does have the fans to support this. What could alco possibly offer? When alco played Dunbar there wernt even 450 allegany fans there so do you believe that blue fans will come out in droves to watch a game online? That's a joke. Right now stick to FH. Smart business decision.

You miss the point completely. This is a program involving itself in the educational system. If it were just a business, I wonder who ran the numbers: the FH/Sherando game got a mere 316 views on the Commercial Video site. Allegany/Dunbar got only 64 views. Quite frankly, unless you have the entire market you barely have a viable business, if that. Add in the limited advertisers and you really have little to go on.

1918h5.jpg

Reactions: FortHillFan89
Ryan, please switch and cover the Allegany football games so lag will shut the hell up.

You miss the point completely. This is a program involving itself in the educational system. If it were just a business, I wonder who ran the numbers: the FH/Sherando game got a mere 316 views on the Commercial Video site. Allegany/Dunbar got only 64 views. Quite frankly, unless you have the entire market you barely have a viable business, if that. Add in the limited advertisers and you really have little to go on.

And those viewers are watching it for free. At best, it's half that paying to watch it live. As Sneaky said, I think most people will continue to listen on the radio and then watch on the stream later if they want to see certain plays or penalties.

Also, does WCBC do Fort Hill games if Allegany has a game the same night?

Reactions: camper21502
Ryan, please switch and cover the Allegany football games so lag will shut the hell up.
and pigs will fly, unicorns will be seen dancing on rainbows, the cleveland browns will win the super bowl, lebron will average two points a game, the ice age will begin next summer...i think you get it :)

Lag,

I think this post says it all. Allegany just doesn't have the quantity of loyal (key word) fans to make this work. I agree with some on here stating it's questionable with FH. If I was an investor in this venture, I wouldn't appreciate the investee "being fair" with my money. I don't think any sensible person would be.

That said, if this takes off with FH it might very well attract attention of Allegany loyalists, such as yourself, Lag. Surely you can see the logic in that.

And those viewers are watching it for free. At best, it's half that paying to watch it live. As Sneaky said, I think most people will continue to listen on the radio and then watch on the stream later if they want to see certain plays or penalties.

Also, does WCBC do Fort Hill games if Allegany has a game the same night?

The numbers clearly show that video coverage for Cumberland high school football is basically a public service and is very fragile to say the least. If but a few are swayed to pay per view or subscription, then all will be forced to pay or do without. Such is my opinion.

and pigs will fly, unicorns will be seen dancing on rainbows, the cleveland browns will win the super bowl, lebron will average two points a game, the ice age will begin next summer...i think you get it :)

Yep. That's about right. :confused:

I think this post says it all. Allegany just doesn't have the quantity of loyal (key word) fans to make this work. I agree with some on here stating it's questionable with FH. If I was an investor in this venture, I wouldn't appreciate the investee "being fair" with my money. I don't think any sensible person would be.

That said, if this takes off with FH it might very well attract attention of Allegany loyalists, such as yourself, Lag. Surely you can see the logic in that.

Check the numbers yourself. They are not there. All this will potentially do is wipe out what is currently a public service. Go. Check the views on the Commercial Video site and decide what the ultimate consumer charges would have to be to make this work. It has already been stated that the cost to Allegany is over $30k ("... write me a check for $32k I will be happy to film your team."). How easily folks are swayed because they think they are getting something someone else isn't.

Some folks think that FH football is akin to Alabama with a similar fan base.

Last edited:
Check the numbers yourself. They are not there. All this will potentially do is wipe out what is currently a public service. Go. Check the views on the Commercial Video site and decide what the ultimate consumer charges would have to be to make this work. It has already been stated that the cost to Allegany is over $30k ("... write me a check for $32k I will be happy to film your team."). How easily folks are swayed because they think they are getting something someone else isn't.

Some folks think that FH football is akin to Alabama with a similar fan base.

You could make this argument for all local HS sports merchandise. And, besides, why criticize someone trying to get Cumberland on the map, tech-wise? All local talent could benefit from the eventual exposure.

Lag, you remind me of Mr. Duell who, in 1899, claimed that "everything that can be invented has been invented." Why always so negative and judgmental?

You could make this argument for all local HS sports merchandise. And, besides, why criticize someone trying to get Cumberland on the map, tech-wise? All local talent could benefit from the eventual exposure.

Lag, you remind me of Mr. Duell who, in 1899, claimed that "everything that can be invented has been invented." Why always so negative and judgmental?

Well, folks can go to the Commercial Video site, check the facts and run the numbers for themselves. It isn't what I think. I am simply directing you and others to common information available for everybody.

"on the map" - "All local talent...benefit" - "eventual exposure" ....just silly. You think you are getting a free high-end exclusive, and maybe the FH few are until - as they say - the real 'rent come due'.

Honestly, at this point I am tired of speaking up for the entire city over this issue. In a town where way too many parents are lucky to put their kids in decent school clothes you think they will cough up money for better game video. How smarmy of you. Cumberland has been a consistent train wreck of decision making.... (nice juxtaposition of phrase there).

I feel this service would maybe best serve recording who ever is traveling any particular Friday evening. I'd be more likely go to the stadium and watch who's playing. Go home and watch Alco or Fort Hill's away games. Keep all the money in the community.

On weekends split By Friday night AND Saturday afternoon/night (played at stadium) offer the opportunity for BOTH teams to be aired live. You're not seeing the bigger picture. I offer you this advice for free. I've given it some thought, and I really feel that would work best.

Commercial Video would offer live TV coverage if it were permitted. They don't because it's not allowed. It won't be offered live. Ever. Been that way for 25 years. The BOE has always held firm on that.

Right, wrong or indifferent, the BOE calls the shots.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT