ADVERTISEMENT

MPSSAA football playoff format to be finalized on Friday

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
The MPSSAA has their spring meeting in Ocean City this Friday (April 26). This meeting will finalize whether the new football playoff format becomes 100% official for the 2019 season. It has already passed through two boards almost unanimously. This is the last hurdle and involves county supervisors and reps.

For them to backslide at this point and not push it through, after every school has already set up for the new 9 game regular season schedule, is extremely unlikely.

Last edited:
The new high school playoff format is now 100% official. The final vote today at the MPSSAA meeting in Ocean City passed with a 47 to 4 vote in favor of.

I have an article in the CTN coming out that breaks it down with interviews. This one is a winner in my book.

Look forward to your article Todd. Have so many questions around how it will work.

I can read, so I am already aware of it expanding to 32 teams. I have more questions around the other details. The expanding to 32 teams was the easiest part of the change.

With all due respect, the article explains a whole lot. What additional questions do you need answered?

In the end, the reseeding of the final 8 teams is much better than the current format.

The reality that two teams in one region could play for a state championship is the what folks have desired for years.

With all due respect, the article explains a whole lot. What additional questions do you need answered?

In the end, the reseeding of the final 8 teams is much better than the current format.

The reality that two teams in one region could play for a state championship is the what folks have desired for years.
With all due respect I wrote my original post before I read his article but had been familiar with the proposal since Todd was the one who originally told us about it a while back. My questions have to do more with the open bracket process and the financial aspect of it all. Some teams will have 5 home games this year and some will have 4. That is an additional home revenue gate for some and not for others. And I know that would balance out the following year when it would be in reverse. But if I was an AD I would be smart and keep one date as an open date and only sign one year home contracts to ensure I get 5 home games each year. That is just one concern I have.

The home and away wasn’t balanced or in alignment before. A quick example how many home games did FH have last year? How many will they have this year? FH won’t have away games this year for all the home games they had last year. That’s just one fast example. I don’t see that as being an issue at all.

The home and away wasn’t balanced or in alignment before. A quick example how many home games did FH have last year? How many will they have this year? FH won’t have away games this year for all the home games they had last year. That’s just one fast example. I don’t see that as being an issue at all.
Most teams tried to have a balance of 5 away and 5 home. I would have to look but I'd bet money that 95% of public schools in MD had that balance in 2018. Fort Hill (sometimes Alco & others) have had to resort to an unbalanced schedule in order to fill a schedule. I quickly looked at just the 1A schedules from this past year and all but a couple schools had the (5,5) split. Some schools only had 9 games due to weather or just scheduling so I didn't count them. And I get it would balance itself out the following year. But again, if I was the athletic director, I would try to get 5 home games every year.

Most teams tried to have a balance of 5 away and 5 home. I would have to look but I'd bet money that 95% of public schools in MD had that balance in 2018. Fort Hill (sometimes Alco & others) have had to resort to an unbalanced schedule in order to fill a schedule. I quickly looked at just the 1A schedules from this past year and all but a couple schools had the (5,5) split. Some schools only had 9 games due to weather or just scheduling so I didn't count them. And I get it would balance itself out the following year. But again, if I was the athletic director, I would try to get 5 home games every year.
Anybody who thinks that this format means that there will be no more debating the FH schedule is delusional. FH will not be playing a 3a or 4a schedule, they won't be playing M'burg, DeMatha, Suitland, Damascus...or anybody else some think they should have been playing all along.If you don't schedule correctly sure you still make the playoffs but you will be on the road and winning in the playoffs on the road is way harder than winning at home. Look at all the home playoff games FH has won over the last 6 years alone. Their only playoff loss was in the finale in Annapolis and that is a neutral site. There is no way Appel is putting his 1a kids against 4a kids for 4 or 5 games and getting them killed and having an injury depleted team going into the playoffs.

Some teams will have 5 home games this year and some will have 4. That is an additional home revenue gate for some and not for others. And I know that would balance out the following year when it would be in reverse. But if I was an AD I would be smart and keep one date as an open date and only sign one year home contracts to ensure I get 5 home games each year. That is just one concern I have.

I think for most Maryland teams the gate revenue is negligible once you subtract the cost of officials, security, medical services and using the field lights. I mean what is the average game attendance state wide 750? 500? less than that? How many of that number are students/young children/seniors paying $2-3 instead of 5$? I was at a first round playoff game at 3A Reservoir (against an Eastern Shore team) a few years back and they had maybe 150 people there on a pretty nice November night.

Factor in short bus trips for most of the state and you may actually come out at less of a loss on road games less than 30 minutes away then you would playing home games.

Also, if you're a consistently good program (which usually leads to better attendance) you will be getting a home 1st round playoff game more years than not so it's really a 6/4 or 5/5 home/away split most years.

My question is how will the 1A South be treated now that 8 teams per region make the playoff. There are only 6 teams in that region. Will the regions be realigned or will the top 2 teams in the 1A South get first round byes?

Football 1A South will have 11 schools, six from PG (Central, Fairmont Heights, Friendly, Largo, Gwynn Park, Surrattsville), one from Charles County (McDonough) and four from Baltimore County (Loch Raven, Pikesville, Randallstown and Western Tech).

I've expressed my opinion on this in the past, and I'm not going to rehash it all, with the reseeding getting down to the final 8 is an improvement, but I still think the state should have added a fifth class, maybe in time, but it is a better format then what the state has been using.

One question I do have, is have they amended the COMAR regulation to allow the non playoff teams to play a 10th game? From reading the Board of Control Meeting minutes from December, it appears that teams aren't permitted to play if they don't make the playoffs:

https://www.mpssaa.org/assets/1/6/BOC_minutes_12.12.18.pdf

Question: Any further discussion on the 9-12 teams that don’t make the playoffs. Answer: Current COMAR regulations would not allow additional games after week 9.

I've expressed my opinion on this in the past, and I'm not going to rehash it all, with the reseeding getting down to the final 8 is an improvement, but I still think the state should have added a fifth class, maybe in time, but it is a better format then what the state has been using.

One question I do have, is have they amended the COMAR regulation to allow the non playoff teams to play a 10th game? From reading the Board of Control Meeting minutes from December, it appears that teams aren't permitted to play if they don't make the playoffs:

Question: Any further discussion on the 9-12 teams that don’t make the playoffs. Answer: Current COMAR regulations would not allow additional games after week 9.
I could be wrong, and Todd probably knows the answer, but I believe the open bracket games are being classed as postseason games which would allow it. But it was one of my questions as well.

Reactions: NG Huskies Fan
With all due respect I wrote my original post before I read his article but had been familiar with the proposal since Todd was the one who originally told us about it a while back. My questions have to do more with the open bracket process and the financial aspect of it all. Some teams will have 5 home games this year and some will have 4. That is an additional home revenue gate for some and not for others. And I know that would balance out the following year when it would be in reverse. But if I was an AD I would be smart and keep one date as an open date and only sign one year home contracts to ensure I get 5 home games each year. That is just one concern I have.

Hope this helps explain the 10th game money part for everybody:
Financially, the MPSSAA will collect all gate money from the first round of playoffs and re-distribute that money evenly for every single team in the region. So even if a team doesn't get to play a home game because they cut the regular season back to 9 games, they are guaranteed money from the first round of the playoffs essentially making sure everybody gets the finances that goes with playing 10 games.

Personally, I would have rather seen them continue to play a 10 game regular season, bump the first week of play up (to match WV, VA, DC, PA) and just add the extra round to the playoffs. Yes, it would mean a team has to endure 15 weeks instead of 14 to win a state title. Like they have to in PA.

Also, here is a link I created with the MPSSAA Playoff Proposal they sent to all Athletic Directors. I don't know if they explain it better than I did or not.
http://www.nationalchamps.net/highschool/MPSSAA_playoff_proposal.pdf

Last edited:

The MPSSAA will have an Open Bracket for teams that do not make the playoffs. There is still some discussion on how they wish to accomplish this and so I could not get an exact answer on the format. If there was a COMAR regulation that had to be changed then they changed it or did what they had to do to approve it. I like it because it gives teams that had a bad season a chance to play against someone else who also struggled. Basically, it pairs up teams along the same competition level.

It's important to note that all of the MPSSAA committee people I have spoken with over the years say the same thing...the reason they could never make changes to the football playoff system was because no one could agree on what format to use. Everyone had a different idea on what the best procedure would be. So instead of making a tough decision for change, the MPSSAA just kept using the same old format. And I see it with every message board or social media conversation I have. Everybody has their own idea on what is best. To me, this is where leadership has to step up. Make a decision and follow it through even though some people won't like it. The MPSSAA finally did that. But judging by the overwhelming approval this new format received in four different voting sessions by three separate committees, they did the right thing.

Hope this helps explain the 10th game money part for everybody:
Financially, the MPSSAA will collect all gate money from the first round of playoffs and re-distribute that money evenly for every single team in the region. So even if a team doesn't get to play a home game because they cut the regular season back to 9 games, they are guaranteed money from the first round of the playoffs essentially making sure everybody gets the finances that goes with playing 10 games.

Personally, I would have rather seen them continue to play a 10 game regular season, bump the first week of play up (to match WV, VA, DC, PA) and just add the extra round to the playoffs. Yes, it would mean a team has to endure 15 weeks instead of 14 to win a state title. Like they have to in PA.

Also, here is a link I created with the MPSSAA Playoff Proposal they sent to all Athletic Directors. I don't know if they explain it better than I did or not.
http://www.nationalchamps.net/highschool/MPSSAA_playoff_proposal.pdf

Thanks for the explanation on this part Todd. I like that they are taking the money from the first week of the playoffs and evenly distributing that throughout the region. With all these games being regional match-ups and playoff games they should have pretty decent attendance.

However, it still does not take care of the issue of some teams in a region already having 5 home games entering the first round of the playoffs, and some teams in the region only having 4 home games entering that week. It still gives an advantage to the teams that already have 5 home games. They will still be getting an additional game of revenue.

I hope they consider starting the season one week earlier and going back to a 10-game regular season. It was bad enough when the post season was 40% of a regular season. Now we have it at 55% to 56% of what a regular season would be. That is absolutely crazy. There aren't too many sports, if any, that can say that.

And I agree Todd, it was nice to see the leadership of the MPSSAA get on board with a proposal and back it, the old system definitely needed changing.

I think for most Maryland teams the gate revenue is negligible once you subtract the cost of officials, security, medical services and using the field lights. I mean what is the average game attendance state wide 750? 500? less than that? How many of that number are students/young children/seniors paying $2-3 instead of 5$? I was at a first round playoff game at 3A Reservoir (against an Eastern Shore team) a few years back and they had maybe 150 people there on a pretty nice November night.

Factor in short bus trips for most of the state and you may actually come out at less of a loss on road games less than 30 minutes away then you would playing home games.

Also, if you're a consistently good program (which usually leads to better attendance) you will be getting a home 1st round playoff game more years than not so it's really a 6/4 or 5/5 home/away split most years.

We aren't just talking about the revenue generated by the tickets to the games. You have to account for the concession revenue, merchandise revenue, and any other revenue generated by having that additional home game. And with all due respect, we aren't talking about a softball game, we are talking about a Varsity Football game, even in less popular football areas I doubt athletic directors are considering the loss of that additional game negligible.

However, it still does not take care of the issue of some teams in a region already having 5 home games entering the first round of the playoffs, and some teams in the region only having 4 home games entering that week. It still gives an advantage to the teams that already have 5 home games. They will still be getting an additional game of revenue.

Some teams have 7 home games, some have 5, some have 4 regardless of how many regular season games they permit. They are not going to bump the season up, never have in Maryland. There are several issues at play there. My take was that certain counties like Montgomery and PG County did not have the funds to pay coaches for the extra week among other things.

This new playoff format was more about money then anything from what my interviews say. Attendance numbers are down big time in football as are participation numbers. But it has been made very clear that football funds all the other sports - no if's, and's or but's. The MPSSAA can hold state championships the same way in every sport because football pays for it. That's how the ball bounces at the highest collegiate levels and apparently here in high school too. Ask any school, football money pays the bills.

Some teams have 7 home games, some have 5, some have 4 regardless of how many regular season games they permit. They are not going to bump the season up, never have in Maryland. There are several issues at play there. My take was that certain counties like Montgomery and PG County did not have the funds to pay coaches for the extra week among other things.

This new playoff format was more about money then anything from what my interviews say. Attendance numbers are down big time in football as are participation numbers. But it has been made very clear that football funds all the other sports - no if's, and's or but's. The MPSSAA can hold state championships the same way in every sport because football pays for it. That's how the ball bounces at the highest collegiate levels and apparently here in high school too. Ask any school, football money pays the bills.

90%+ played 5 home, 5 away for those that had 10-game schedules. Yes you did have some schools that had as much as 7 home games and some schools that had as few as 4 home games. But that was the exception rather than the rule. And I get that the schools that only have 4 home games will be getting the Week 1 + open bracket round one money to account and therefore give them 5 games revenue as they have gotten in the past. And in some cases it might be bigger depending on the school and what that "evenly" distributed amount is over what would of been their 5th home, 10th overall game of the season. I don't see it as being fair that some schools get the additional revenue gate while others don't. One of the objectives of the MPSSAA is to be fair.

And I agree, football is what funds all other sports, that is why I mentioned it in my post.

Last edited:
Who were the 4 no votes to the proposal and what was the objections? I have read about the pros and cons and opinions of others, but were the specific objections of the 4 in opposition?

We aren't just talking about the revenue generated by the tickets to the games. You have to account for the concession revenue, merchandise revenue, and any other revenue generated by having that additional home game. And with all due respect, we aren't talking about a softball game, we are talking about a Varsity Football game, even in less popular football areas I doubt athletic directors are considering the loss of that additional game negligible.

Based on games I've attended (I've hit Carroll, Baltimore, Harford, Anne Arundel, Montgomery, Prince George's, Howard, Frederick, Washington, Wicomico, Garrett, Queen Anne's, Kent and Allegany Counties plus Baltimore City since 2012) and what I know about the areas I'd estimate less than half the MPSSAA schools (probably less than 80/180) will pull more than 750 for a home game.

New Town was a brand new school built in the 21st Century and they chose to put in a football "stadium" without any lights, press box, PA system or permanent seating if that tells you anything about the popularity of Baltimore County football. You might be lucky to draw 150 people and there are no concession stands or merchandise for sale. It's like that in most of Baltimore City/County. There's 39 schools between the two and I'd say only Franklin and Hereford draw more than 750 per game out of all of them.

Maybe you'll see the schools with the bigger draws shelling out for two-year home series with teams that don't draw many fans. Though even the schools with terrible facilities and attendance seem to be insisting on home-and-homes these days, Walkersville traveled to New Era in Baltimore a couple years ago even though there might have been 50 people at New Era. Even Silver Oak has gone from always playing in Cumberland to the site rotating every year.

I didn't realize that the "open bracket" would be a 4-week tournament culminating in a championship game. This could actually be fairly lucrative since all games are played at the higher seed and all gate money is distributed evenly across the district. I could see someone like Urbana having a down year and still packing their stadium for four more weeks if they went on a run to an "open bracket championship"

Who were the 4 no votes to the proposal and what was the objections? I have read about the pros and cons and opinions of others, but were the specific objections of the 4 in opposition?

I don't know who those people were that voted nay or why. The top argument against this new system was that teams such as Clear Spring/Hancock, etc. did not want to travel to a place like FH and be forced to play them in a first round playoff game. I can certainly understand that. My take on that is they have the option of stepping out of the playoff system for football. If the counter argument to that is but our kids making the playoffs is important to our program. I say but it is for every school, so why would you want to outpoint another school by avoiding them in the regular season. I think that part of the argument is ridiculous. It got so bad that teams not only wanted to make sure their kids got in the playoffs, but they didn't want to play good teams even when they got to the playoffs. Crazy. The system isn't going to be fair for everyone in today's participation world. But this new format is pretty close. If you are the #8 team in this playoff, and don't want it, just step out.

And keep in mind, I use FH and Alco as an example. But this new format had zero to do with Western Maryland. The loud complaints were coming from points east.

That is why the system we had was so bad. Conferences where teams were not required to play against each other...and didn't. You can no longer just schedule yourself into or out of the playoffs anymore. That concept goes against every aspect of athletic competition. Thank god it's gone. Will teams still schedule to make sure they get home field in the playoffs? Yep, it never ends (see WV schools). But hopefully it won't be as bad.

Last edited:
This is obviously a forum for opinions...so with that said...I have a problem these days hearing about teams being fearful of playing someone good because they might get their kids injured or banged up. It's a contact sport man, players are going to get injured or banged up. Been that way since they wore leather helmets. Today's world is just so sensitive and ego driven. The point I am making...in this 6 year 1A dominance for FH football, through all of the huge amount of playoff blowouts they put on people, I don't ever recall a serious injury. Other than when maybe Nathaniel Graves had to take an ambulance ride for a concussion against Northern. Kids get banged up in practice as much as they do in games. Avoiding good competition, to put a running clock on teams so you can rest starters for the second half, using the injury excuse...I realize I'm from an older generation but today's world is not man enough for football.

Cumberland is the only place wanting two west teams in a championship game... most likely anywho... us, that's it... mainly alco.. lol

This is obviously a forum for opinions...so with that said...I have a problem these days hearing about teams being fearful of playing someone good because they might get their kids injured or banged up. It's a contact sport man, players are going to get injured or banged up. Been that way since they wore leather helmets. Today's world is just so sensitive and ego driven. The point I am making...in this 6 year 1A dominance for FH football, through all of the huge amount of playoff blowouts they put on people, I don't ever recall a serious injury. Other than when maybe Nathaniel Graves had to take an ambulance ride for a concussion against Northern. Kids get banged up in practice as much as they do in games. Avoiding good competition, to put a running clock on teams so you can rest starters for the second half, using the injury excuse...I realize I'm from an older generation but today's world is not man enough for football.
Bo Blake.. broke his arm 3 years ago?.. chestnut ridge..

Your dead on I played soccer in the 90s in flintstone... we hit harder than these kids today... soft ass kids for sure... lmaoo.. but our ego couldn't come out until we did something or put a good hit(clean!) On somebody.. I know yapping is apart of any sport,but ya gotta do something 1st damn..

Cumberland is the only place wanting two west teams in a championship game... most likely anywho... us, that's it... mainly alco.. lol

Most certainly not. I know the teams of the old 3A West and recent 2A West would have loved for this opportunity. 2 years ago, Damascus and Walkersville were head and shoulders above the rest of 2A and were relegated to a regional final game. Whichever year Damascus played Dundalk in the final, Linganore and Damascus met in the regional final and I can promise you, Linganore would have handled Dundalk as well. I get the argument that the best team is going to win, whether it is in the regional final or the state final, but to me, its more about giving the kids the opportunity that they deserve. The 2 best teams deserve to meet in the final, or at least have the chance to. In my opinion, this system still has its flaws, but its a definite improvement over what we had before.

Reactions: cumbfanatic
Seems like no 10th game for teams that don't make the playoffs is official from what I saw this morning

Most certainly not. I know the teams of the old 3A West and recent 2A West would have loved for this opportunity. 2 years ago, Damascus and Walkersville were head and shoulders above the rest of 2A and were relegated to a regional final game. Whichever year Damascus played Dundalk in the final, Linganore and Damascus met in the regional final and I can promise you, Linganore would have handled Dundalk as well. I get the argument that the best team is going to win, whether it is in the regional final or the state final, but to me, its more about giving the kids the opportunity that they deserve. The 2 best teams deserve to meet in the final, or at least have the chance to. In my opinion, this system still has its flaws, but its a definite improvement over what we had before.
I agree that while it wasn't done "For Cumberland or Western Maryland" it certainly does help those teams as they seem to be in the Final every year. I hope that it doesn't become an issue if all you see is teams from the same region in the Championship Game every year. If the best two teams happen to be in the same region then why shouldn't they play for the title in Annapolis instead of a Region Championship? I can attest to many schools wanting this change. As LHSlancerFAN and Todd said... schools have wanted this ability for many years and not just the ones in Cumberland.

Seems like no 10th game for teams that don't make the playoffs is official from what I saw this morning
I wasn't sold on them being able to pull this off from the start. It would be a real shame though because it isn't just a 10th game for every school that doesn't make the playoffs. It is a chance for these young men to continue their season and get better for the following year.

I wasn't sold on them being able to pull this off from the start. It would be a real shame though because it isn't just a 10th game for every school that doesn't make the playoffs. It is a chance for these young men to continue their season and get better for the following year.

Those are my thoughts as well. A kid could lose 10% of their possible HS football games if their team doesn't make the playoffs in his four years. What is already by far the shortest HS sport in terms of competition opportunities gets even shorter.

They should either move the season up and add a 10th game, move forward with the "open bracket" playoff proposal, or go to 6 30-team classifications, play 9 games and let everyone make the playoffs like some Midwestern states do

Those are my thoughts as well. A kid could lose 10% of their possible HS football games if their team doesn't make the playoffs in his four years. What is already by far the shortest HS sport in terms of competition opportunities gets even shorter.
I agree... there has to be a way for them to work another week into the year. I get that it isnt as simple as saying do it. But to take away 10% of a season in a sport that already plays the least amount of games as any sport is crazy. To have five weeks of playoffs and only 9 weeks of a regular season is crazy!

They should either move the season up and add a 10th game, move forward with the "open bracket" playoff proposal, or go to 6 30-team classifications, play 9 games and let everyone make the playoffs like some Midwestern states do

What I meant by it no1 in Middletown would say hey bro wish we would have played walkersville in the 2a championship game.. besides hagerstown Cumberland is one of the only towns that's could field two state champs from a bracket out of the west.. north & south haven't really played each other in a defacto championship game like alco and fort hill in any a bracket west region championship.. no one town I remember anyway..

All in all the new playoff system is good for the most important people it should be good for... that is the young student athletes that play the sport. It gives way more a chance to compete for a Championship and it allows two schools that are in the same region a chance to play for a State rather than a Region Championship if they are the two best teams in their class.

I say this assuming they will figure out a way to allow the teams that don't make the playoffs a chance to at least have a 10th game if not more. It would suck if they couldn't and they were forced to play one less game.

Yes there are things that I don't like about the new system but it is better for the student athletes and that is what is most important.

One thing that we have to remember is that even under the new format NOT ALL teams in the region will make the playoffs. Don't get me wrong... we are doubling the amount of teams making the playoffs but in all regions you will have anywhere from 2 to as much as 5 teams not making the postseason. In the 3A North, for example, 5 teams will not make the playoffs the most of any region. On the opposite side of the spectrum, the 2A and 1A South each have only 2 teams in their regions that won't make the postseason.

The reason I bring this up is because it doesn't mean you will make the playoffs every year no matter what. In a region like the 1A West, a traditionally strong region in football, 33% of the teams won't make the playoffs each year. The region is tied for the 2nd most teams not making the playoffs of any region in any class. Let's hope that this doesn't mean teams in the region will play less regular season games against their own region. I could see teams like Hancock, Clear Spring, Brunswick, Catoctin, and Smithsburg scheduling to make sure of 6+ wins each year. If that happens it wouldn't allow schools like Allegany, Fort Hill and others to schedule tougher games cause 6-3 or 5-4 might not be enough to get in the top 8. I know this has a remote chance of happening but it is possible and wouldn't be surprising.

All in all the new playoff system is good for the most important people it should be good for... that is the young student athletes that play the sport. It gives way more a chance to compete for a Championship and it allows two schools that are in the same region a chance to play for a State rather than a Region Championship if they are the two best teams in their class.

I say this assuming they will figure out a way to allow the teams that don't make the playoffs a chance to at least have a 10th game if not more. It would suck if they couldn't and they were forced to play one less game.

Yes there are things that I don't like about the new system but it is better for the student athletes and that is what is most important.

I could not agree more. It is very important the MPSSAA makes sure EVERYBODY gets 10 games. Even if the MPSSAA wants to do away with an open bracket format for teams that did not make the playoffs, they have to at least make sure they all get that 10th game for reasons you mention and more.

Where many see con I see pro. There is always a handful of teams that go winless during the regular season. Pair them up for the 10th game. One of them gets a win on the season that way. I see this format being a huge opportunity for teams that do not make the playoffs.

I just got some frustrating news that the MPSSAA has decided officially not to put in place a system that gets teams that didn't make the playoffs a 10th game. I don't know the details yet. If this is true, I will take back every single decent thing I had to say about the MPSSAA and go back to flogging them relentlessly for screwing it all up. This would be a financial disaster of a decision and a complete injustice to the student-athlete.

Last edited:
Reactions: OneRing
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT