ADVERTISEMENT

Local H.S Football is almost back...

Redwhite90

Varsity Poster
Oct 17, 2017
Less than 3 months from opening night and summer workouts will begin soon. Can almost smell the fresh cut grass and see the glow of Friday night lights on the horizon. So with all of us knowing very little about this years teams other than the returners from last year and a few JV players moving up, thought it would be interesting to see everyone's thoughts on the local teams. For ease of comparison, lets keep it to Western Md and 1A for the rankings. Again just for fun but rank em and maybe give a reason why. Here goes....

1. Fort Hill- lost a lot last year with their graduating class but every year we say this and every year they seem to just reload. I do however feel this year the gap has been narrowed and they will find a few local teams a little more challenging. That being said, to BE the Champs, you have to BEAT the Champs and no one has done that locally for a few years.
2. Southern- Perhaps a surprise here but I put them second for a very good reason. They have the best returning Offensive Line in the area. Four are returning three year starters and they return 8 of 11 on defense on a playoff team from last year. QB is a talent as well. Their Achilles could be this years schedule which returns Fort Hill to the schedule. Good news for Rams is that both Cumberland teams travel to Oakland this year.
3. Alco- Top 3 could easily swap out but Campers lost a lot in last year's Area C0-MVP as well as QB and #25. Good news is #7 has a lot of potential with football genes. Nice arm and good athlete. Not sure their defense returns enough to shut down the top 2 on this list this year.
4. Northern- Lost QB and leading running back along with a few nice lineman. Do return #10 and along with a head coach that always seems to get the best out of the talent that he has available. Nice soph. class that may have to move a few up to help with varsity. North is 1 or 2 years away from a very nice season if they can gel a line.
5. Mt. Ridge- Admittedly know less about this team other than they return a good athlete at QB and have a few nice RB's in the mix. Their line is a question mark.

Ok, VERY early top 5 rankings but hey, why not ... been too long without some football talk.

You're right about the area being more competitive this year. Fort Hill won't be head and shoulders above everyone this year. The coaches are going work hard this season. The good news is that they are capable. With that said,, Id switch Alco and Southern for the same reason that I'd keep Alco behind Fort Hill. Deep down, I don't think that Southern thinks that they can beat FH or Alco. (and Alco don't think that they can beat FH) The Ridge will get the fourth spot, it's about time that they start to put something on the field. I don't see Northern putting up much of a fight against any local team. If the HC could get few horses, he could make a statement locally but I don't think that he has them.

Reactions: Redwhite90
You're right about the area being more competitive this year. Fort Hill won't be head and shoulders above everyone this year. The coaches are going work hard this season. The good news is that they are capable. With that said,, Id switch Alco and Southern for the same reason that I'd keep Alco behind Fort Hill. Deep down, I don't think that Southern thinks that they can beat FH or Alco. (and Alco don't think that they can beat FH) The Ridge will get the fourth spot, it's about time that they start to put something on the field. I don't see Northern putting up much of a fight against any local team. If the HC could get few horses, he could make a statement locally but I don't think that he has them.
Thanks Bleedred.. love seeing what others think about the upcoming season as well. I like your point about Southern, although this group of Seniors are the same ones that won the CAYFL their final year and went undefeated so they know they HAVE beaten them both . The big question is if that can translate to high school. Something seems to happen once those players start drinking from the Greenway Avenue water fountains! (OK, and the weight room might have SOMETHING to do with it.... lol)

1.FH
2.southern
3.boonesboro
4. Mountain ridge
I have allegany missing the playoffs this year mainly because this is hansels first true year running allegany football. I know he’s been coaching for 2 years but he inherited Prescorns team.
I obviously see alco losing week 1 and week 10. Southern, Williamsport, boonesboro, keyser, and mountain ridge will basically be playoff games in my eyes.
With that being said, alco could easily be 8-2 and lock up #2 in the region again. Only time will tell.

1.FH
2.southern
3.boonesboro
4. Mountain ridge
I have allegany missing the playoffs this year mainly because this is hansels first true year running allegany football. I know he’s been coaching for 2 years but he inherited Prescorns team.
I obviously see alco losing week 1 and week 10. Southern, Williamsport, boonesboro, keyser, and mountain ridge will basically be playoff games in my eyes.
With that being said, alco could easily be 8-2 and lock up #2 in the region again. Only time will tell.
You have Mt. Ridge ahead of ALCO LOL ENOUGH SAID!!! Do you have Hancock ahead of them too?

Reactions: cumbfanatic
Alco will be 7-3 at least! If FH get out of the first 4 weeks undefeated, the West could be theirs again. Their first two games will tell us a lot. Don’t sleep on Hollidaysburg in week 4. Could be interesting.

Alco will be 7-3 at least! If FH get out of the first 4 weeks undefeated, the West could be theirs again. Their first two games will tell us a lot. Don’t sleep on Hollidaysburg in week 4. Could be interesting.
Yes I see Alco going 7-3 I cant see them winning @ Dunbar without Robinette who dominated the Poets last yr.
FH has a few interesting games this yr. but they somehow managed to get 8 games at home which should help. They will go 9-1 @ worst 8-2
Southern is the team to watch. They will battle my Campers for the #2 spot They will be a playoff team for sure.. At best 9-1 @ worst 7-3
I have Northern ahead of Mt.Ridge due to Coaching but I dont expect much from either school. I would be shocked if one of these schools win more than 6 games.. Huskies 5-5 Miners 4-6

You have Mt. Ridge ahead of ALCO LOL ENOUGH SAID!!! Do you have Hancock ahead of them too?
I do not have Hancock ahead of them lol. I can see alco losing 6 games. Dunbar, southern, boonesboro, forthill, keyser, and mountain ridge. That’s why I have mountain ridge ahead of them. I know ridge is usually a laughing stock but they have pulled a few upset on alco over the last few years. But like I said in my first post, alco could go 8-2 and be the 2 seed. That why I said only time will tell.

How good are the WV schools gonna be this yr.?
I do not have Hancock ahead of them lol. I can see alco losing 6 games. Dunbar, southern, boonesboro, forthill, keyser, and mountain ridge. That’s why I have mountain ridge ahead of them. I know ridge is usually a laughing stock but they have pulled a few upset on alco over the last few years. But like I said in my first post, alco could go 8-2 and be the 2 seed. That why I said only time will tell.
4-6 or 8-2 So your saying they will be horrible or pretty good lol... It's almost like saying FH will win State or they wont make the playoffs...

ALCO has a few studs this season. The Shirey kid is Robinette Light and will be dominant. They also have some speed in the backfield. I wouldn’t be surprised if they were 8-1 going into HOCO.

As far as FH is concerned, I believe their skill players, as a group, are as good as any group they’ve had in the past 5 years. Powell, Askins, Smith, Beal and Swan are very talented and faster than folks think. They’ll be a problem for defenses and they can be great against the pass. They also will have a very fast and athletic D-Line that didn’t see the field much last year.

The 3 questions I see; are the OL, Run Defense and Sr leadership. Many of the upcoming Srs are talented, but didn’t get a lot of playing time last year. Only Trimble has significant experience on the OL. I believe Trimble is the best football player in the area. He could play every position on the field at a high level, if needed. They do have a few big boys on the OL, so the potential is there. But they’ve got to come together, quickly

If they put together an OL, find some run stoppers on the interior of the Defense and find a couple Leaders, Big Red has the tools to get back to the Championship and beat Dunbar.

The first four games might be interesting for the Sentinels. They could be a very good 1A team and still be going into week #5 at 1-3. I'll be shocked if any of the first four games will have a running clock. This year's team will have to earn everything they get.

The Shirey kid from ALCO is definitely a player ... strong and athletic! Nothing but respect for the kid. But to compare him to Robinette , even as a 'light " model is a bit of a reach. Players like #95 don't come along very often. Have rarely seen 1 player take an entire team on his back week in and week out the way he did. He was a Beast!
You are right as far as FH backs as concerned. Askins quick and elusive and the Swan kid is much faster than he looks and runs close to the ground so its like tackling a bowling ball. He seems to squirt free from the pile and picks up additional yards. As far as the best player in the area, depends on how you look at it , but if I'm picking the kid that is a sure fire D1 talent, my money is on FH #39. Heard he was booting them over 60 the other day .. WOW!
Anyway, 7 on 7 competition at FSU tomorrow so perhaps that will shed some light.

Reactions: camper21502
Last year there was a huge concern about FH's losses and how would they possibly replace so many talented players and so on and so forth. It seems like people were forgetting those players moving into starting roles were used to practicing and playing with all those great players that graduated. They did just fine, and surprisingly shocked a lot of people. I won't be shocked or surprised if this group is at a different level than other area teams.
Having said that hc is always hc and you can't take anything for granted. Even if Alco loses a few games I'd still see them giving fh all they could handle. I don't see losing a monster player as always being a bad thing. Sometimes players just don't live up to their potential when they don't feel they need to. This group could come together to form a stronger all around team, it's up to them to find new monsters!

Reactions: Red White and True
7 on 7 at FSU. Heard Southern linemen won Big Man Challenge. 7 on 7 went 4-1 in pool losing to St James from Frederick. Lost to South Hagerstown in playoff round. Did not hear how other teams did, any news on Keyser, FH, Mt Ridge, Hampshire?

The 3 questions I see; are the OL, Run Defense and Sr leadership. Many of the upcoming Srs are talented, but didn’t get a lot of playing time last year. Only Trimble has significant experience on the OL. I believe Trimble is the best football player in the area. He could play every position on the field at a high level, if needed. They do have a few big boys on the OL, so the potential is there. But they’ve got to come together, quickly

If they put together an OL, find some run stoppers on the interior of the Defense and find a couple Leaders, Big Red has the tools to get back to the Championship and beat Dunbar.

Well, word on the street is that Trimble is not going to play football this year. I hope it is not true as I enjoy watching talent on the field, but that is what I heard. Also , did not see him at the 7 on 7 or Big Man competition unless he was just unable to attend. I can't imagine him not playing his Senior year for Big Red but stranger things have happened. If it is true, it certainly makes the FH OL and D-line a bigger question.

Last edited:
Well, word on the street is that Trimble is not going to play football this year. I hope it is not true as I enjoy watching talent on the field, but that is what I heard. Also , did not see him at the 7 on 7 or Big Man competition unless he was just unable to attend. I can't imagine him not playing his Senior year for Big Red but stranger things have happened. If it is true, it certainly makes the FH OL and D-line a bigger question.

Somewhere - in the dark regions of my mind - his name rings a bell. I connect it with Appel, not sure why. Whatever his choice, everyone should wish him well.

Somewhere - in the dark regions of my mind - his name rings a bell. I connect it with Appel, not sure why. Whatever his choice, everyone should wish him well.

I think I would be disappointed in his decision if he was just going to be sitting at home playing video games, but evidently he has other interests and is very focused on career-based opportunities. The future looks extremely bright for this young man.

Oh well, I don't know any of his other plans, but I hope all the best for him! Love to hear of success stories from our area. Hope he is one of them! Best of luck to him in whatever he chooses !

Boyz, you are correct, I have heard the same. Of course selfishly we'd all love to see him suit it up for his Senior Year but, my understanding also is that IF he doesn't play he will be working and focusing on future interests beyond football, not being lazy by any stretch. I understand he really is quite the hard working young man and certainly wish him well in whatever he chooses.

Reactions: BoyznBlue
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT