ADVERTISEMENT

Just for the fun of it…Some of the Best Players in Allegany County History…

MCsoccerplex

All State Poster
Aug 20, 2007
My list from the 1970s to the Present:

-QB - Mark Manges (FH/MD)/Greg Hare FH/Ohio State)
-RB - Steve Trimble (FH/MD)/Joe Ross (BW/Army)
-FB - Mike Lewis ((Valley/Princeton)/Lyle Peck (FH/MD)
-End - John Alkire (FH/MD)/Mark Griffin (FH/NC)/Jeff Rhodes (BW)
-Line - ???
-DB - Chris Stewart (AHS/Bethune Cookman)/Jarrod Harper (MR/WVU)
-Kick Returner - Ty Johnson (FH/MD…has anyone else in the history of college football had KO returns for TDs at the Horseshoe and at the Big House?)
-K - John Carpenter (Allegany/William and Mary)/Danny King (FH/WVU)
-LB - Shannon Stevens (Allegany/Georgia…nobody dominated a football game like Grover…what could have been…)

Last edited:
I may be Biased but a Relative Jared Fradiska is the Only Area Player of The Year that I know that was a TE/WR & DB
led the area in interceptions and I think that it was a record at the time, as well as all the big Touchdowns including the untimed down right before half at Homecoming.
That Team lost in the Final to Urbana.
The Best Player I've ever seen in Cumberland was Shannon Stevens, it was like a man playing with little boys... nobody had as much desire to win than him.
it's also hard to believe that team with Jeremy Raley played at Virginia and Jared Jacobs played at Navy with so much talent went 3-7 their season year.
When I was younger Danny Porter was a beast on the field for Allegany.

Shannon Stevens didn’t even play his senior year in Cumberland. What we remember were only his 9-11 grades.

Shannon Stevens didn’t even play his senior year in Cumberland. What we remember were only his 9-11 grades.
You are correct. He played at a boys’ school in Philadelphia, and he was the Philadelphia Defensive Player of the Year. Then, he started as a true freshman at Georgia.

Reactions: cumbfanatic
I never saw him play but lyle peck was like a legend when I was growing up
Lyle was an outstanding fullback, and a great linebacker, yet he wasn't even the best player on his team. Steve Trimble was an all-state running back. Rushed for near 1700yds. Over 2000 all purpose yds. He led the state in scoring, and demolished the area area scoring record, which stood for nearly 40 years until Ty Johnson tied it. What people may not remember is that he was also probably the best defensive back in the state. I played against Lyle and Steve. Steve Trimble is the best high school football player I ever seen play in Cumberland.

Yeah, that's not fodder for this board. What is relevant is that it's pretty hard to argue that positionally speaking, there were very very few who did it on the field as well as he did in this area.

Funny story, as a little league pitcher he was also about the most intimidating thing I ever witnessed. He was a few years older than me, although my shortness combined with his size, he might as well have been about 20 years old pitching to me. Lol. Coach Benson needed baserunners and he had me go up to bat as a little 10 year old. "Crouch down, make the strike zone smaller, you'll get on base"...I crouched down all right, about a half foot outside of the batters box, the ump must've taken pity on me, cause he never made me move in lol. I can claim to fame that I did reach base on 5 pitches against Grover. I never advanced though, as the next two batters struck out. Anyhoo. He was quite the athlete to watch in awe.

At the time Glenn Mills had a good football program. Miami Hurricane coach showed up at his court hearing to have Grover placed at Glen Mills so he could continue playing football, rather than a different juvenile center. Grover ended up going to University of Maryland, got in trouble at Maryland and then went to Georgia. Speaking of baseball he would hit the ball over the fence left or right handed as young as little league. I remember him switch hitting at 10 years old.

Reactions: FHHSAHS
The 60’s
Oscar Lewis rb
Fred McMillian dl ol
Bill Meister lb ol
Rusty Kunis de oe punter could punt the over the lights !
Quiten simpson RB
Dutch Beirman Rb

70’s
Bruce metz
Mike Hast
Dudley holiday
Alan boyd
Gary leatherman
Todd martin
Bob metz
Harry keller
Gerald Trimble
Tom stallings
Eric fleek
Denny hockman
Joe powell
Allen page
Kevin jones
Robby shewbridge
Mike lippold
Allegany
Terry and Gary Ricker
Joe Mullan
Marshal Waland
Marshal Shook
Scott Bauer
Eric Tayler
Scott Dornsife
Brian Dougherly
Walt Blowe
Eric Whetzel

There have been so many great players from both Alco and Fort Hill, I could list 200 players and still miss someone. The same with Alco, and there was a time that La Salle/BW put some athletes on the field. (And they were local! kids!) No one has mentioned the likes of Greg Hare (the counties first high school All American) or a guy by the name of Buddy Orndorff. For Alco, has anyone on this board seen Dan Porter carry the football or Matt Long, who was probably the craziest, most physical linebacker Alco has ever had. Not taking anything away from Grover, he was big, athletic, and smart, but Long was an absolute nut job! (Fort Hill had a version of him in Mike Hast)

Reactions: GREEN75 and Tony54
There have been so many great players from both Alco and Fort Hill, I could list 200 players and still miss someone. The same with Alco, and there was a time that La Salle/BW put some athletes on the field. (And they were local! kids!) No one has mentioned the likes of Greg Hare (the counties first high school All American) or a guy by the name of Buddy Orndorff. For Alco, has anyone on this board seen Dan Porter carry the football or Matt Long, who was probably the craziest, most physical linebacker Alco has ever had. Not taking anything away from Grover, he was big, athletic, and smart, but Long was an absolute nut job! (Fort Hill had a version of him in Mike Hast)
While I am certain it was an oversight, Greg Hare is mentioned in the first post of this thread.

While Long and Hast were really good players, nobody on the defensive side of the ball comes close to Stevens.

Shawn Ricker, a late 80's Tight End at Alco was a big time player as well. Played D2 at WV Wesleyan, was a key player on at least one state championship team and if I'm not wrong, was Area POY as a TE. That's not easy to do.

FH-wise, my favorites will always include Mike Hast, the Trimble/Peck combo, Manges and Hare, Pat D'Atri, Jim Furstenburg, Mark McConnell, and yes, Jared Fradiska was an absolute ball player. I saw someone earlier mention that he had a longstanding record for interceptions. That's also very hard to do in an area where no one ever threw the ball more than a few times a game.

Bruce Widdows. Mid 70s. Not the biggest, fastest, or hardest hitter, but damn he was a good linebacker for BW. He was a tackling machine. I believe he had a decent college career at Shepherd during their heyday, along with some other locals of the same era.

Shawn Ricker, a late 80's Tight End at Alco was a big time player as well. Played D2 at WV Wesleyan, was a key player on at least one state championship team and if I'm not wrong, was Area POY as a TE. That's not easy to do.

FH-wise, my favorites will always include Mike Hast, the Trimble/Peck combo, Manges and Hare, Pat D'Atri, Jim Furstenburg, Mark McConnell, and yes, Jared Fradiska was an absolute ball player. I saw someone earlier mention that he had a longstanding record for interceptions. That's also very hard to do in an area where no one ever threw the ball more than a few times a game.
Just a little clarification (without actually checking), Allegany was probably the only local they played that year with Fradiska. Takes nothing away from the mark, though

Reactions: ConeyIsland
The Palumbo/Roberson tho… no one remember? Roberson was a high jump state champion. All Palumbo had to do was throw it high, and Roberson could easily snatch it out of the air

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT