ADVERTISEMENT

Is Hampshire Over Keyser THE Biggest Ever Local Upset?

Seasoned Lettuce

All State Poster
Jul 28, 2015
The purpose of this post is not to fan the blames. Sure, Cumberland folks like to bash Keyser when we can and Keyser folks love to bash us., it is what it is. That is not my intention here, this is an honest question designed to stimulate true discussion.

Keyser starts the season by destroying its first two weak opponents, we're talking epic destruction, it could have been 100-0 in both games had the dogs not been called off. Keyser then rolls into Greenway and not only beats Fort Hill at Greenway (something they virtually never do), they beat a Fort Hill team who is back to back state champs and holding a 29 game winning streak, they also manage to beat a Fort Hill team who has scored 41 points by themselves scoring 48 points and literally ramming it down Big Red's throat in the second half. Keyser then goes to Northern and while struggling still comes out of Accident with a win over a very good Northern team. Keyser then hosts Allegany and destroys the much outed Campers by a score of 42-0.

Then comes Keyser versus Hampshire. Yes, torrential rains left the field a quagmire. Yes, Keyser was without who undoubtedly is their best player. Yes, Keyser has a momentous game against Bridgeport lingering the following week, the gigantic Elephant in the room and the most anticipated matchup in West Virginia AA football on the year. Nonetheless, we're talking Hampshire, a winless Hamsphire team at that.

Hampshire opens the season with a 10 point loss to PRESTON. Preston just got beat by what is currently the worst team in football, HEDGESVILLE. Hampshire then loses to Elkins in overtime. The Trojans then lost to Spring Mills followed with a 10 point loss to Mountain Ridge. Hampshire was WINLESS.

Hampshire beats Keyser 17-14. Is this the biggest UPSET in local football history EVER? I can think of some others, like Beall beating Allegany in the Mud Bowl, but then again that was a Beall PLAYOFF team not a winless team with a crappy schedule. So, is it, is it the biggest UPSET in local football history EVER?

Reactions: beall02
I think that it is an interesting question. The one thing that I will say is that Hampshire is not your typical win-less team. They have some decent players. Nonetheless, they were win-less entering the game, and Keyser shouldn't of lost. I still belive it was the perfect storm for the Trojans to pull it off.

I do agree with your assessment though. Most people look at the late 90's Beall/Alco game and some still say that was the biggest upset in the area. They forget that was a playoff game and not just a regular season game. Add the fact that it took place prior to 2002 when they adopted the regional format and it makes the case it wasn't even more so. You had to be a good team back then to make the playoffs.

I can't think of another one that would over take this Hampshire/Keyser one. Mostly due to the fact that we just don't see it in this area much. Most games are blowouts.

1984 Homecoming game. Fort Hill (6-3) upset Alco (9-0) 14-12. I beleive the upset knocked Alco out of the playoffs. Another in 1979 South Hagerstown (3-3) upset Fort Hill (6-0) 34-27 with a last minute touchdown pass in Hagerstown. Fort Hill ended up going 9-2 loosing playoff game to Cambrige South Dorchester. That was two major upsets I can remember. I beleive Keyser-Hampshire would rank with them.

Last edited:
Reactions: FHHS#1
I do agree with your assessment though. Most people look at the late 90's Beall/Alco game and some still say that was the biggest upset in the area. They forget that was a playoff game and not just a regular season game. Add the fact that it took place prior to 2002 when they adopted the regional format and it makes the case it wasn't even more so. You had to be a good team back then to make the playoffs.

I can't think of another one that would over take this Hampshire/Keyser one. Mostly due to the fact that we just don't see it in this area much. Most games are blowouts.
I was hoping that no one would bring up that game. Too bad we didn't catch Beall with their extra long, illegal cleats. I have the evidence! LoL

On paper, yes - I would put the Hampshire win over Keyser in the top couple of unexpected upsets in my era. However, yea yea, here he goes with a caveat - without the stud running back, Keyser is a slightly above average team.

Granted, Hampshire was still a winless team who lost some games to teams that, well, people just shouldn't be losing to. But Keyser was not the same Keyser (on the field) that they were two weeks ago at Greenway. They still should've beat Hampshire even without the RB.

Big win for Hampshire though, how important is the kicking game in high school football? That shows you right there.

Another more recent upset I can think of was in the 2009 playoffs 8-3 Alco upset 11-0 FH 35-14.. The reason this upset sticks out in my mind is I thought this FH team was gonna win the State Championship that yr. They beat the Campers @ Homecoming 17-7
2l6se0.jpg

Reactions: Bubbahead70
I would say Keyser beating FH to end the winning streak was a pretty big upset... If they played 10 more times this yr. FH would win atleast 9 of them..

Reactions: Bubbahead70
Yea that was a big upset! Fort Hill for some reason fell apart after halftime ! Here's another , just last year Frankfort upset Keyser also.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT