ADVERTISEMENT

If UMD upsets Ohio St.

beall02

Franchise Poster
Jun 2, 2006
Does Edsall get offered another four year extension? I mean it is just crazy what they will accept as a football program there. New AD is lucky that Turgeon has turned out to be good or he would be out as well.

IMO, Edsall is a proven winner. The reason he's at MD is his prior success. Let's face it, MD is in a difficult position, recruiting-wise. Great players make a great coach, but a great coach does not make a great player. I hope he gets fired, and lands at a school and goes on to succeed including beating MD!

I will not argue the fact he built the Connecticut program. He absolutely did that. But let's be honest, this was all in a Big East post B.C, VA Tech and Miami. I just think he is an over-rated coach. Maryland isn't a football school. We all know this. It is there stupid fault for firing Ralph.

I will not argue the fact he built the Connecticut program. He absolutely did that. But let's be honest, this was all in a Big East post B.C, VA Tech and Miami. I just think he is an over-rated coach. Maryland isn't a football school. We all know this. It is there stupid fault for firing Ralph.

First, the head coach position is an easy target at any level. As I've been told by a head coach "if you don't have the players you will not succeed, regardless how good your are..." If you don't have the talent they can't execute, and you won't win... MD hasn't had the players for forever! Oh, maybe once or twice per decade they'll have a decent team, but nothing consistent, compared to the Alabama's, Florida State's, LSU's who have a direct connection to most of the 4 & 5 Star recruits. That's life in the NCAA...

Second, Edsall wasn't a head coach until UCONNl where he was for 11 yrs with a 52.6 win PCT, and like you said "built" a successful program. I wouldn't call 52.6 winning PCT "a successful program", but ok... That's still a viable reference to put on a resume for schools the caliber of MD. What program did Ralph build prior to MD? None! He was a successful OC. Edsall, or any other coach has no control over the fickle folly of the ADs and other school officials when it comes to who is in or out of the conferences. Over the past 5-10yrs conference jumping is as common as wife swapping at a swingers club... It changes on an annual basis. Previously to UCONN, Edsall was an assistant at the college & NFL level, so no way of judging him by a record.

There are very few long tenured coaches at the college level, and when you look at the SEC, the most successful conference the past 3 decades I can only thing of three. Compare the SEC to any BIG10 team regarding head coach stability. A head coach at the college level is more about organization, recruiting & staff, marketing (image of the program), etc. In the past the head coach was more directly involved in the x's & o's, but that is up to the coordinators. Head coaches spend more time picking out the color combination of uniforms, and at MD that's quite a job - LOL...

Third, 'RALPH"?!? Are you kidding me?? He had a 60% winning PCT at MD!! What is that to hang your hat on? As a MD hater I would welcome The Fridge back. MD is a 1A of Div-1 and the BIG10 conference, and quite frankly the same can be said of WV.

I agree with you, "MD isn't a football school" anymore, and Edsall, or someone with his ability & integrity is as good as they'll get. I'm not suggesting Ralph had an integrity problem. I think that was one of his strong points... Other than being President of the U.S., being a Div-1 head football coach has to be the next difficult and stressful.

On the other hand Ohio state is having trouble putting away unranked teams. If fact all most every team they play are unranked...sounds like a cupcake schedule....must of took a page out of some of our local schools....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT