ADVERTISEMENT

If I were in charge of the Maryland Playoff system

I'm saying under md' s current format the two best teams are meeting a lot of times before the championships! I'm saying under the current format a lot of good teams are getting left out decreasing the chances for upsets
There were more upsets and close games in Maryland last week than in West Virginia.

WVU21795, totally agree with your statement, but Maryland will never stray away from the format now because it meets their "diversity" agenda. They can say what they wanta say, unfortunately politics are involved. "Make Western Maryland Football Great Again!" just had to say that....have a nice day everybody!

I think the 1-16 format is much better because no under .500 team should ever make the playoffs. I think we would get better games and finally have a chance to see a cumberland state championship game.. The format we have now does suck but the best team will win anyway under any format...

Reactions: 5punisher3
You make a valid point.

Do I personally believe two of the top three teams in MD 1A will play each other on Friday night at Greenway? Yep. Do I believe Damascus and Walkersville are two of the best three schools in 2A? Yep.

Then, there is 1A in West Virginia. Undefeated and #1 East Hardy only beat #16 Williamstown 14-10 in first-round playoff action last weekend.

As noted by TH, a 1-16 seeding is not going to happen, but I do believe the match-ups could potentially be much better throughout the playoffs. While Reginald Lewis is a # seed, I could see a #16 beating them in a given year (i.e. if the #16 seed was a Southern Garrett, Northern Garrett, Boonsboro, etc.).

I would agree that Allegany is usually the second best team 1A team in the state - or at least for the last 2 years, but this season I have Lackey, Douglass and Dunbar (on a neutral field) better than Alco.

In terms of the 1-16 seeding, it does make sense from a competitive perspective. But if you're the MPSSAA do you really want a repeat game for the state championship? Does the NCAA want Georgia vs Alabama playing for the title?

Nobody wants to play Bama twice in the same year. See the LSU rematch for an example.

However, if that's how the cards play out for MD high school level teams, so be it. It's ludicrous for sub .500 teams to make it into the postseason while there are schools with superior records on the outside looking in.

Nobody wants to play Bama twice in the same year. See the LSU rematch for an example.

However, if that's how the cards play out for MD high school level teams, so be it. It's ludicrous for sub .500 teams to make it into the postseason while there are schools with superior records on the outside looking in.

I agree, but that's just how bad 1A has been since Dunbar went to 2A five years ago. Those teams I just named were 2A last year. It doesn't matter what system you use if the teams are bad you will get bad match-ups.

The intent of a playoff system and postseason and championship is to crown A champion. It is to give the best teams a shot at doing so. Not guaranteeing that the two best teams play in the finals. But that they get in.

It is not to crown the TWO best teams or to be sure everyone gets a shot. The playoff system itself is not broke. I know we talk about the scheduling issue, but there are 4-6 and 5-5 teams getting into the playoffs now, so a losing record isnt really an automatic out.

I challenge anyone to claim that the absolute best teams in each of the classes haven't won their respective titles since the system changed.

I know this thread is more of a commentary on the playoff system because of how it affects scheduling...but the system itself does what it's supposed to.

I would agree that Allegany is usually the second best team 1A team in the state - or at least for the last 2 years, but this season I have Lackey, Douglass and Dunbar (on a neutral field) better than Alco.

In terms of the 1-16 seeding, it does make sense from a competitive perspective. But if you're the MPSSAA do you really want a repeat game for the state championship? Does the NCAA want Georgia vs Alabama playing for the title?
Yes, The NCAA wants teams that will make them the most money, the same thing The MPSSAA would want, Alco vs FH = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

If Southern had played FH this year in the regular season, they would not have made the playoffs.
If Liberty would have played Allegany, they would not have made the playoffs.
If Glenelg would have played North Point, they would not have made the playoffs. And beaten River Hill.
If Mervo had not picked up Taft out of Ohio, they would be in the playoffs.

Avoid good competition and make the playoffs. That is the route many choose for their open dates in this system. When you lose to DeMatha, you get zero points for the loss. Beat Silver Oak by 50 at halftime and get points. Now who is going to pick what for a regular season game? Look at the top schools in the West (Alco, FH, Damascus and Walkersville) and look at those blow out scores again. The regular season is watered down big time unless a team is obviously in a league that mandates playing other league opponents.

If Southern had played FH this year in the regular season, they would not have made the playoffs.
If Liberty would have played Allegany, they would not have made the playoffs.
If Glenelg would have played North Point, they would not have made the playoffs. And beaten River Hill.
If Mervo had not picked up Taft out of Ohio, they would be in the playoffs.

Avoid good competition and make the playoffs. That is the route many choose for their open dates in this system. When you lose to DeMatha, you get zero points for the loss. Beat Silver Oak by 50 at halftime and get points. Now who is going to pick what for a regular season game? Look at the top schools in the West (Alco, FH, Damascus and Walkersville) and look at those blow out scores again. The regular season is watered down big time unless a team is obviously in a league that mandates playing other league opponents.

The schools you reference don't really prove your point, with exception of Southern. And I've said several times before that this is primarily a WMD issue. It's not a problem in the rest of the state.

Liberty played Walkersville during the regular season, the 4th ranked team in the state. They also lost to Damascus in the opening game of the playoffs, the 3rd ranked team. They had no reason to add another quality team to their schedule. They didn't avoid competition
Glenelg is a 2A squad, but they still played 4A power Howard (12th ranked and still undefeated). And like you said, they played #25 River Hill two weeks in a row. Why would they add NP the 6th ranked school to the schedule? They didn't avoid competition.
Mervo on the other hand is 4A, but they didn't miss the playoffs because of the Taft game. Through the course of the entire season they only played one other 4A school. They avoided good competition and that's why they missed the playoffs.

Yes, The NCAA wants teams that will make them the most money, the same thing The MPSSAA would want, Alco vs FH = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I agree with that. The MPSSAA could make their nut in one game - I'm sure they appreciate the money they make from the regional playoff game. Move that game to Annapolis for all the marbles a couple weeks later? Heck yeah they would love it

And, I disagree about two 1A schools playing for the state championship this weekend. They are - just not against each other.

I think most on here are ignoring a very dangerous Douglas PG.

The intent of a playoff system and postseason and championship is to crown A champion. It is to give the best teams a shot at doing so. Not guaranteeing that the two best teams play in the finals. But that they get in.

It is not to crown the TWO best teams or to be sure everyone gets a shot. The playoff system itself is not broke. I know we talk about the scheduling issue, but there are 4-6 and 5-5 teams getting into the playoffs now, so a losing record isnt really an automatic out.

I challenge anyone to claim that the absolute best teams in each of the classes haven't won their respective titles since the system changed.

I know this thread is more of a commentary on the playoff system because of how it affects scheduling...but the system itself does what it's supposed to.
I've issued that same challenge and never got a reply. If they view the playoffs this way, there is no basis to complain about how the state set this entire playoff system up as a way to personally screw Cumberland.

And, I disagree about two 1A schools playing for the state championship this weekend. They are - just not against each other.

I think most on here are ignoring a very dangerous Douglas PG.

FH is still favored to win the title, but playing the winner of Lackey/Douglass and then (probably) Dunbar the next week won't be a cakewalk like it's been the last 4 years. It's not like playing Surrattsville and HDG.

Last edited:
The schools you reference don't really prove your point, with exception of Southern. And I've said several times before that this is primarily a WMD issue. It's not a problem in the rest of the state.

Liberty played Walkersville during the regular season, the 4th ranked team in the state. They also lost to Damascus in the opening game of the playoffs, the 3rd ranked team. They had no reason to add another quality team to their schedule. They didn't avoid competition
Glenelg is a 2A squad, but they still played 4A power Howard (12th ranked and still undefeated). And like you said, they played #25 River Hill two weeks in a row. Why would they add NP the 6th ranked school to the schedule? They didn't avoid competition.
Mervo on the other hand is 4A, but they didn't miss the playoffs because of the Taft game. Through the course of the entire season they only played one other 4A school. They avoided good competition and that's why they missed the playoffs.

Your examples are supporting my case. Why play any one tougher? So you can make the playoffs. Remove that playoff participation philosophy and yes play some more good competition.

If your example is that Liberty played Walkersville (and I would add Westiminster) you are saying that is enough?

If you are going to add playoff opponents to the toughness of schedule that adds another dimension. But it doesn't make sense as we are talking about filling open dates, not who you draw in the playoffs. By that analogy I would say if Alco or FH went on to play each other twice, then Douglass/Lackey and Dunbar on top of what they already had...that is a very tough stretch.

In reference to scheduling tough games. According to MaxPreps, Bowie, Bladensburg, Oakdale, Potomac, Liberty, Tuscarora & Urbana had the toughest public school schedules this year. Those teams either did not make the playoffs or lost in the 1st round.

Your examples are supporting my case. Why play any one tougher? So you can make the playoffs. Remove that playoff participation philosophy and yes play some more good competition.

If your example is that Liberty played Walkersville (and I would add Westiminster) you are saying that is enough?

If you are going to add playoff opponents to the toughness of schedule that adds another dimension. But it doesn't make sense as we are talking about filling open dates, not who you draw in the playoffs. By that analogy I would say if Alco or FH went on to play each other twice, then Douglass/Lackey and Dunbar on top of what they already had...that is a very tough stretch.

With Liberty if you have Walkersville on the schedule and DMass looming in the playoffs. I don't have a problem with that schedule. I have no issue with strategic scheduling to make the playoffs. But if you're a good team and you're not playing good competition in the regular season or the playoffs year after year - you open yourself up for criticism.

And yes, I agree if 1A is on this level in the future the playoffs will be a tough stretch.

With Liberty if you have Walkersville on the schedule and DMass looming in the playoffs. I don't have a problem with that schedule. I have no issue with strategic scheduling to make the playoffs. But if you're a good team and you're not playing good competition in the regular season or the playoffs year after year - you open yourself up for criticism.

And yes, I agree if 1A is on this level in the future the playoffs will be a tough stretch.
So are you saying its ok for other teams to schedule 1 or 2 tough games a year just not FH?

So are you saying its ok for other teams to schedule 1 or 2 tough games a year just not FH?

I don't think this thread was specifically about FH, but I think every team should test themselves every season. Be clear, I'm not saying schedule yourself out of the playoffs. But it depends on what conference you are in. The teams in 4A South and 2A West would be crazy to schedule tough non-conference schools, because their regular schedule is difficult. Some of the better teams do it any way.

But to answer your question, IMO playing one Top 20 Maryland school per season is all that any team should be expected to do. Because of the playoffs most of the better schools will play more.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT