ADVERTISEMENT

How do Fort Hill & South Hagerstown Stack Up?

mccoke

All State Poster
Aug 25, 2004
They haven't played since 1988 and FH won then 49-0. The game has changed since then, and I believe this could be a dandy!

My pick:

FH 35
SH 20

Calpreps has Fort Hill by 1, Maxpreps has South Hagerstown winning. This is a big one for FH. We saw South against Alco. They're big up front and seem to run and pass equally well. It looks like they do well with making adjustments at the half, they have come from behind at least once this year. Their big question will be can they slow down the Fort Hill attack. At any rate, this has all the makings of a good game.

It's difficult to pick this one since neither team has played a similar opponent to give you some idea of how they will match-up. SH is well coached and has a very good QB, skill players and the offense line is getting better each week. They gave the Lancers all they could handle. If I was SH, I would follow the blueprint that Keyser used. I would attack the ends and the right side of FH d- line. FH defense is very small but quick, but I can't see FH stopping them unless they have put some beef on the line since Keyser to give their LB's an opportunity to make plays.

I don't see SH's defense stopping FH offense either. If FH can mitigate the number of penalties and turnovers this should be a great game or at least I hope so from a fans perspective.

FH put their big FB in at Dline against CCA. Wasn't sure if he had been playing there earlier or not. Also Harden back at DE will put some beef back on the LOS.

South High looked very quick against Alco, but many teams have looked quick against them. The RB was shifty and fast. I didn't think they looked ridiculously big.

Could be a shoot out.

I believe the SH running back is about 170 pds., but is very quick. I don't know much about either team but what I've seen so far, the number of penalties and turnovers is more of concern for me...one persons opinion. long ago.... if the team would have had 120 yds in penalties they would still be running and doing log roles until Coach L Sr. had you calling Ralph and Earl!!

I like to watch line play and number 54 is a huge young man who has had no problem pushing people around....stick him on the d- line with 53. That would make things interesting.
Prediction:

FH- 42
SH- 28

Calpreps has Fort Hill by 1, Maxpreps has South Hagerstown winning. This is a big one for FH. We saw South against Alco. They're big up front and seem to run and pass equally well. It looks like they do well with making adjustments at the half, they have come from behind at least once this year. Their big question will be can they slow down the Fort Hill attack. At any rate, this has all the makings of a good game.
Where on Maxpreps does it have South Hagerstown winning? I did'nt know they had predictions... I dont pay too much attention to that site anyway there rankings are always way off..

FH has made changes on defense since Keyser and I believe #25 and #1 have made a big difference, although they haven't really had a competitive game to prove that point. Also think #4 back in LB position would make quite a difference. It will be interesting to see what difference these adjustments will make against a competitive team.

Reactions: sentinel-nurse
Well, these guys are going to meet a competitive team on Friday night so we will see. Offensive and defensive lines win ball games. If FH can control the line of scrimmage they will be fine, but if South can exploit the little guys on the d-line like Keyser did it will be difficult. Their QB can run and throw the ball very well. I believe he's the coaches son so you know he fundamentally sound. He also kicks and does that very well also.

I thought I read somewhere where #2 runs a 4.29 forty... is that computer or hand held time? I've seen FH football since the Hare days and there has never been anyone close to being that fast... I couldn't ride a bicycle that fast.

I used to love watching Johnson run the ball the past few years but #2 is in a class of his own with that kind of speed. Take it to them linemen and the TE (extra lineman).

FH will finish the sweep of South on Friday night. The FH JV and Freshmen beat South down in Hagerstown tonight. I'll go with FH by 24.

Fort Hill wins big of course: 39-12

40 time is important but overrated. There's a reason you can't take a track star and just put him in the backfield.

Reactions: hbpass2
This is a HUGE game for FH. A win here likely puts them into a playoff spot for one (they need 6 wins to get in by my account). But it's more important because no one really seems to be able to put their finger on this FH team yet. The Keyser game miscues, injuries and defensive collapse are still fresh from that loss while the last 3 opponents have been on the poor side. I know Clearfield has reeled off 5 straight wins since the beat down they took opening weekend and since then the big FH fullback has been out until some spare moments against CCA where the knee looked fine. Clearfield is a solid win but they just didn't match up with FH on the front line (see note below).

I don't believe this is the same team that got beaten by Keyser...at least not from a personnel factor. Everyone is healthy again. There are a good many key position changes and different starters since Keyser. With so much youth dotting the FH roster it will be important to see if they can continue getting better as the season progresses while figuring out who belongs at what position, which has always been a staple under this longtime coaching staff. So far, so good...but again the competition level hasn't been anywhere near good enough to gauge this team's improvement.

Most notable has been the play at QB and WR. Check out the official stats for #10 since he took over behind center:
PASSING: 14 of 16 - 229 Yards - 5 TDs - 0 INT
RUSHING: 15 Rush - 96 Yards - 3 TDs - 0 Fumbles
Has a really nice touch with accuracy, reads the field extremely well and runs with agility and power. So it will be interesting to see how he manages the game these next four weeks as the competition gets amped up...another reason this will be an interesting game to watch Friday night vs. South.

More important, the guy who was at QB (#15) is ballin' as a receiver. He is tall, athletic and has great hands. I think he may be one of the area's top receivers by season's end. And he has been a monster on special teams. He seems like a natural catching passes. Great to see this, you have to feel good for him.

The defense probably won't get a heavy dose of smashmouth ball against South, which is where Keyser hurt them in the 2nd half. I always say that if you don't match up with the FH line of scrimmage, it's usually trouble. South has some really nice skill people it seems. You just hope FH has the penalty/fumble bug out of their system for their first big test in a month. Guess we will find out under the Friday night lights of Greenway just how far the Sentinels have come. Get your pizza and popcorn ready :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Waggle Pass
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT