ADVERTISEMENT

Here's a thought

Re: Ask Chris - Sat./Sun. - August 11-12

I feel as though it would be in the best interest of the program to redshirt Mike Davis. Do you think because of his talent and who he is, the staff will fill compelled to keep him on the active roster?

I know that Watson has some great numbers but did he do more for Frankfort's Offense then Shaffer?

Originally posted by BD007:
I feel as though it would be in the best interest of the program to redshirt Mike Davis. Do you think because of his talent and who he is, the staff will fill compelled to keep him on the active roster?
Can't imagine we'll ever see the day when Steve Spurrier doesn't redshirt someone "because of who they are."

Speaking of redshirts, Chris, do you think English has pretty much already played his way out of one? Sounds that way from y'all's notes.

This post was edited on 8/12 5:54 AM by samuraicock

Davis...

The staff is going to do whatever they feel is best. They're not going to play him just because he "demands" to be played. I don't think Davis would do that, anyways. With the depth at RB this season, it's not like he would get tons of carries. Everette Sands has already said redshirting him is a possibility.

English..

Originally posted by samuraicock:

Can't imagine we'll ever see the day when Steve Spurrier doesn't redshirt someone "because of who they are."

Speaking of redshirts, Chris, do you think English has pretty much already played his way out of one? Sounds that way from y'all's notes.

This post was edited on 8/12 5:54 AM by samuraicock
Ability-wise, he could play. But the thing is, USC has the starters in Clowney/Taylor and then Sutton and Fordham, two upperclassmen, behind them. So I'm just not sure how much time he would get. Would almost make more sense to redshirt him.

this is a statement and a question about our TE situation.

it is unbelievable about the talent and depth that USC has at TE. even with owens and rainey being slowed by injury.

buster and j.adams: could we actually employ a three TE formation that the defenses would have to sub for the run and beef-up their run defense....then, audible at the line with buster and j.adams spliting out. the mismatch opportunities seem limitless.

what do you think? i still think that this is why SOS is smiling....just one of the reasons. your thoughts.

Didn't the ground game with the Watson kid and the offensive line win the day for Frankfort last week? Frankfort's pass game was squashed. Without the pass game Frankfort would have probably still made the playoffs with their run game, though at a lower seed.

This post was edited on 11/25 12:52 AM by LinemenWinGames

This post was edited on 11/25 12:53 AM by LinemenWinGames

According to the write up concerning the play of Adams (Jerrell) and Roland Lawing came up to Spurrier and stated he thought English could help us this year with pass rushing and said I know you want to red shirt him. Spurrier responded I am not interested in redshirting anyone that can help the team now. That pretty much clears that up. My concern is how badly did Wilds sprain his ankle. Under no circumstances can we afford this.
This post was edited on 8/12 12:31 PM by slickspur21

You're right, I think that Watson had the longest run of the night (75 yds ?). I was thinking in terms of the entire year. In all honesty, Watson has had great numbers the last two years. He may have been overlooked in last year's vote. Knowing that we don't have a vote, (well, I think that Todd does) I think that at least one of these two should get some kudoos for their play this year.

BTW
Understanding that FH and Alco beats Frankfort most of the time. This would have been one of those years that a Frankfort game with the City schools would have resulted in a packed house with a great game to follow. It's a shame it didn't happen because those games are few and far between.

I agree. I don't think there is any chance English will redshirt this year. He is playing very well and also gaining weight in the process.

Tight ends...

Originally posted by olecock48:

this is a statement and a question about our TE situation.

it is unbelievable about the talent and depth that USC has at TE. even with owens and rainey being slowed by injury.

buster and j.adams: could we actually employ a three TE formation that the defenses would have to sub for the run and beef-up their run defense....then, audible at the line with buster and j.adams spliting out. the mismatch opportunities seem limitless.

what do you think? i still think that this is why SOS is smiling....just one of the reasons. your thoughts.
USC used three tight ends a couple of times that I saw yesterday - Cunningham, Anderson, Adams. That would indeed bring a different look to the defense that could make it tough on the defense to defend run and or/pass.

English/Wilds...

Originally posted by slickspur21:

According to the write up concerning the play of Adams (Jerrell) and Roland Lawing came up to Spurrier and stated he thought English could help us this year with pass rushing and said I know you want to red shirt him. Spurrier responded I am not interested in redshirting anyone that can help the team now. That pretty much clears that up. My concern is how badly did Wilds sprain his ankle. Under no circumstances can we afford this.
This post was edited on 8/12 12:31 PM by slickspur21
I don't think the need is there as much for English simply because USC has four guys they can use at DE, but that said English has been impressive in preseason and the staff has really liked what they have seen so far. I think if they truly believe he can help, they wouldn't hesitate to play him but that still remains to be seen. I think it makes more sense to redshirt him, but he's certainly shown in the early stages it wouldn't be surprising to see him play in pass-rushing situations.

I don't know any more information on Wilds other than what we've reported to date. We'll check on it Monday (tomorrow).

Originally posted by mkenglis:
I agree. I don't think there is any chance English will redshirt this year. He is playing very well and also gaining weight in the process.
The bulk of weight gains occur in the offseason. He does need to get bigger and will over the course of his career, but obviously he's looked very good in the early going. Given how many upperclassmen USC has it may make more sense to redshirt him, but then again he could help some in pass-rushing situations and it wouldn't hurt to get him experience either because he will be needed next season.

Chris based upon the early impressions does it look like English and Adams could become the steals of the class? I say steal b/c although they had some other big time programs after them, they did not have some of the bigger name national powers go after them. Their play has me beyond excited for the next 4-5 years.

Adams\English...

Originally posted by tgame80:
Chris based upon the early impressions does it look like English and Adams could become the steals of the class? I say steal b/c although they had some other big time programs after them, they did not have some of the bigger name national powers go after them. Their play has me beyond excited for the next 4-5 years.

Absolutely. Particularly puzzling how English did not have bigger name offers like Georgia, Florida, etc.

I just saw that Dixon, Jr. is up to 304#! Has he been looking good enough in practice to see some PT this season? Obviously, size is one of those things that you can't teach

Chris - what is J. Adams actual height & weight? It seems like every time I see an article or reference, there are different numbers. As always, THANKS!

Dixon...

Originally posted by PI_4USC:
I just saw that Dixon, Jr. is up to 304#! Has he been looking good enough in practice to see some PT this season? Obviously, size is one of those things that you can't teach
Yeah, he has looked good in practice I think. He's done some good things. He's just a redshirt freshman so he has a good bit more to learn, but he's shown he's strong in the weight room and on the field and he's coming along. He's firmly in there as a second-team DT. He should see time this season.

Adams...

Originally posted by bigenchilada1:
Chris - what is J. Adams actual height & weight? It seems like every time I see an article or reference, there are different numbers. As always, THANKS!
He's 6-foot-5, and I heard 237 recently.

Hey Chris, how did we end up accidently schedule Wofford this year running that triple option just like we accidently scheduled Navy last year?

Wofford...

Originally posted by blair6191:
Hey Chris, how did we end up accidently schedule Wofford this year running that triple option just like we accidently scheduled Navy last year?
No idea. I would never, ever schedule an option team on any level. There's just no winning from it. Even if you win the game, you still basically have to scrap everything you have been doing and will do on defense to defend it for that one week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT