ADVERTISEMENT

Heisman Talk

C.J. Stroud lost the Heisman today in my eyes. If DC native Caleb Williams does well today against the Irish he will win it.
Such an over rated and over hyped award in today's age. For years it went to the best player in college football. Then went thru an era of best player on the best team. Now you don't even win the Heisman. The pre- season favorite generally has to lose it, like Stroud did today. 30 minutes of football over the course of a season shouldn't decide. Not sure if either one is the best player in college football. Just the most hyped. I like the TCU QB, but he is late to the party. No pre-season hype.

Last edited:
So if Williams has a decent game, but USC loses to Utah for a 2nd time this season, does he still win the Heisman.

Last edited:
If USC would lose Friday night, I’d rather see the Michigan RB corum win it before the TCU QB

Last edited:
If USC loses and Ohio State gets a shot at and wins the National title, does Stroud get a second look?

My liking of Duggan is that while his numbers may not be as good as some of the others, they are comparable enough. Considering that I believe he is the only D1 QB to play and beat 5 top 20 teams this season. Beating Kansas St. this weekend would make 6. I think that has to account for something. I think he deserves more consideration if USC loses. Just one man's opinion.

Last edited:
C.J. Stroud lost the Heisman today in my eyes. If DC native Caleb Williams does well today against the Irish he will win it.
So now the question is did Caleb Williams just lose the Heisman. If so did C.J. Stroud just win it back, without even playing a game. If you aren't the best player in college after last week. How can you be the best player now, without adding to your resume. Their performance in each of their last games were very comparable.

Last edited:
The Heisman Trophy finalists are
Max Duggan - TCU
Stetson Bennett - Georgia
C.J. Stroud - Ohio State
Caleb Williams - Southern California

Most have Williams walking off with the hardware.
Crazy part about Bennett being invited is that he is the 3rd or 4th best QB in the SEC behind the likes of Young at Alabama and Hooker at Tennessee. The Heisman is more a team award than an individual award. No one on a 7-5 team can win the Heisman.

Max Duggan - TCU
C.J. Stroud - Ohio State

Crazy part about Bennett being invited is that he is the 3rd or 4th best QB in the SEC behind the likes of Young at Alabama and Hooker at Tennessee. The Heisman is more a team award than an individual award. No one on a 7-5 team can win the Heisman.
I know he didn't win, but Andre Williams was a finalists as a Running Back for a .500 Boston College team back in 13'. He's probably the only player over the last decade from a non-winning team to be a finalist.

Max Duggan - TCU
C.J. Stroud - Ohio State

In your original post it seems you believed that Stroud was the favorite for the Heisman before his performance against Michigan. As did I. So why does Williams very similar performance and 2nd lose against a lower ranked opponent not carry the same weight against Williams. My opinion is that if Stroud was the favorite before Michigan, then the way things have played out since then, that he should be the favorite now. Just my opinion. BTW I don't have a vote, so my opinion doesn't matter. Lol 😆 🤣 I expressed my opinion of this award earlier in this thread, but do enjoy reading other opinions with an open mind.

Williams actually threw for 363 yards and 3 TD in the Pac 12 title game against Utah. He was lighting the Utes up before he pulled the hamstring. After that he should not have been on the field.

As a voter, I don't look at the Heisman as a playoff. Meaning the last game or two decides it. Although in the case of Stroudt, he looked bad against Maryland and Michigan to close out the season. I also felt Corum got a raw deal at Michigan because he got hurt and could not play against the Buckeyes. He should of been invited. The RB at Texas, Robinson, also posted a nice resume.

How does hendon hooker not get invited? He brings Tennessee back to relevancy and lit up score boards and stat lines before tearing his ACL

Reactions: Waggle Pass
How does hendon hooker not get invited? He brings Tennessee back to relevancy and lit up score boards and stat lines before tearing his ACL
Yep. To my Tide’s dismay. 5 TD strikes to 11

The pain… the pain… 😂

I’m thinking this is probably Bennett’s year. Shoot, even if he doesn’t, he will most likely have another Natty and that ain’t bad either. Of course, Michigan or OSU may have something to say about that (sorry, but I am not a believer in TCU, but as Boomer used to say, “That’s why they play the game!”)

Williams actually threw for 363 yards and 3 TD in the Pac 12 title game against Utah. He was lighting the Utes up before he pulled the hamstring. After that he should not have been on the field.

As a voter, I don't look at the Heisman as a playoff. Meaning the last game or two decides it. Although in the case of Stroudt, he looked bad against Maryland and Michigan to close out the season. I also felt Corum got a raw deal at Michigan because he got hurt and could not play against the Buckeyes. He should of been invited. The RB at Texas, Robinson, also posted a nice resume.
That's fair, and I don't disagree that Williams should win. My thoughts are as late as going into the 2nd half of the Michigan game Stroud was still the odds on favorite to win. Remember Ohio State was up at the half. For as bad as some say he played he still finished with 349 yards and 2 tds against an outstanding Michigan team. BTW both had 2 turnovers in their final loses. As for the ho-hum performance against MD. 241 and a td. Williams against Notre Dame was 232 and a td. He did however have a couple of short Td runs. So I see these as somewhat comparable. I am old school, and to use a boxing reference. Back in my day they said the challenger should never win the belt on a split decision. You must KO the champ to win the belt. Did Williams do enough to knock out Stroud. Either way somehow one bad half of football dropped the season long favorite to 3rd or 4th. Totally agree with you on Corum. You invited a very deserving Duggan, who started the season as a backup, yet leave out the best RB in the country because he couldn't play in the final game. Again I keep referencing my feelings on the way this trophy is awarded to begin with. If Williams does win it, then next year he automatically becomes the odds on favorite to win it again. Williams or no one else can win it. Williams can only lose it to someone else. Hence my original post, that in this day and age no one wins the Heisman. Someone always seems to lose it. Anyway enjoyed the discussion.

Last edited:
Reactions: TDHelmick
That's fair, and I don't disagree that Williams should win. My thoughts are as late as going into the 2nd half of the Michigan game Stroud was still the odds on favorite to win. Remember Ohio State was up at the half. For as bad as some say he played he still finished with 349 yards and 2 tds against an outstanding Michigan team. BTW both had 2 turnovers in their final loses. As for the ho-hum performance against MD. 241 and a td. Williams against Notre Dame was 232 and a td. He did however have a couple of short Td runs. So I see these as somewhat comparable. I am old school, and to use a boxing reference. Back in my day they said the challenger should never win the belt on a split decision. You must KO the champ to win the belt. Did Williams do enough to knock out Stroud. Either way somehow one bad half of football dropped the season long favorite to 3rd or 4th. Totally agree with you on Corum. You invited a very deserving Duggan, who started the season as a backup, yet leave out the best RB in the country because he couldn't play in the final game. Again I keep referencing my feelings on the way this trophy is awarded to begin with. If Williams does win it, then next year he automatically becomes the odds on favorite to win it again. Williams or no one else can win it. Williams can only lose it to someone else. Hence my original post, that in this day and age no one wins the Heisman. Someone always seems to lose it. Anyway enjoyed the discussion.
For sure. I have a few different statistical analysis platforms I use personally. One just flat out compares the entire year of stats and how they performed against their highest ranked defenses.

But I'm not permitted to discuss who I favored according to the Heisman agreement.

Reactions: ravemwp
For sure. I have a few different statistical analysis platforms I use personally. One just flat out compares the entire year of stats and how they performed against their highest ranked defenses.

But I'm not permitted to discuss who I favored according to the Heisman agreement.
I'm glad you do the research and comparables before voting. Ironically enough I remember some years ago you and Bob Haney having this conversation on 105.7 in B-more. The responsibilities of voters for the Heisman, HOF, weekly polls and such. Voting by only listening to the hype, or only paying attention to what's above the fold (old newspaper reference). Never diving inside the numbers to cast an educated vote. Good on you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT