ADVERTISEMENT

Have -->ANY<-- area teams thought of joining the EPAC?

It looks like West Virginia uses the MPSSAA 9-11 numbers when doing their classification of Maryland teams while they use 9-12 for their own teams but even with that when double checking against official MSDE numbers in 9th-12th grade there were only two cases where they misclassed Maryland teams based on what they used: La Plata High School and Oakdale High School. Both should be AAA and are classed as AA.

Fort Hill is smaller than MRHS. Trust us. We're right.

If anyone questioned that the state enrollment numbers for the Allegany and Garrett County schools are (from highest to lowest):

Mountain Ridge: 825
Fort Hill: 780
Southern Garrett:672
Allegany:667
Northern Garrett: 449

Wait a minute wouldn't FH be considered AAA under those wv numbers and if you factor in Hampshire that would be 6 AAA teams in a newly formed league??? Throw in Allegany and Keyser and the Fairmont schools and it seems like you got more than enough teams... Point Pleasant is the smallest AAA at 782... What's FH's enrollment #s???

Under the new WV classifications, the smallest AAA school has 933 students:
http://www.wvssac.org/classificiations/classifications-aaa/

Aren't the Morgantown schools in the Two Rivers Conference with some other large schools along the Ohio River? Or is that not a thing anymore? The Fairmont schools are in a league with nearby schools of similar enrollment, why would they want to leave that?

Thanks all I was looking at old classification.. Looks like they've done some realignment... Either way I stand behind my assertion that it would be easier to find 3 more games under a league schedule as opposed to trying to find all 10... Btw I'm not sure who is in what leagues just throwing some team names around...

Last edited:
That's correct, UHS and MHS are in the Ohio Valley Conference/TRAC, the NCAC disbanded several years ago, partly because my understanding is a lot the NCAC schools dropped to AA and didn't want to have to play UHS and MHS (not just FH that has issues with no one local wanting to play them). The Marion Co schools, Preston and the schools around Clarksburg are in the Big Ten conference.

Under the new WV classifications, the smallest AAA school has 933 students:
http://www.wvssac.org/classificiations/classifications-aaa/

Aren't the Morgantown schools in the Two Rivers Conference with some other large schools along the Ohio River? Or is that not a thing anymore? The Fairmont schools are in a league with nearby schools of similar enrollment, why would they want to leave that?

I really thought (hoped) that with the disbanding of the MVAL, there would be a chance to get the Alco/Washco/Fredco 1A and 2A teams to get together. I even emailed AD's on my own as a concerned citizen and asked if that was a possibility. Not one response.

FH, Allegany, MR, Smithsburg, Boonsboro, Hancock, Brunswick, Catoctin, Middletown and Walkersville. (did i miss any?) A decent mix of both classifications. And leaving only 1 date open for non conference play. Or even just doing a 5 or 6 game conference schedule that rotates every year with more non-conference options..the possibilities would be pretty open.

Purposely not including North and South, Linganore and TJ, etc...because they may not want to play smaller, lower point heavy teams for their classification's sake. there's enough 3 and 4A schools they could have their own grouping.

I really thought (hoped) that with the disbanding of the MVAL, there would be a chance to get the Alco/Washco/Fredco 1A and 2A teams to get together. I even emailed AD's on my own as a concerned citizen and asked if that was a possibility. Not one response.

FH, Allegany, MR, Smithsburg, Boonsboro, Hancock, Brunswick, Catoctin, Middletown and Walkersville. (did i miss any?) A decent mix of both classifications. And leaving only 1 date open for non conference play. Or even just doing a 5 or 6 game conference schedule that rotates every year with more non-conference options..the possibilities would be pretty open.

Purposely not including North and South, Linganore and TJ, etc...because they may not want to play smaller, lower point heavy teams for their classification's sake. there's enough 3 and 4A schools they could have their own grouping.

That would be ideal also.. I never included them In the discussion though bc it's been said countless times that those teams don't want to play.... I think if you're FH you're going to have to find larger teams that are more competitive if ever you're going to join a league. The teams similarly sized in your area simply don't want to take a beating year in and year out. Which may or may not be fair depending on how you look at it...

Last edited:
Reactions: towpath94
I have found in my many travels of helping coaches find games that every single school (big and small) are extremely cautious about playing a schedule that can leave you out of the playoffs. Even in WV, where they go with the 1-16 system...you find everyone concerned with the toughness of their opponents. That's why I was glad to see WV put the rule in where AAA schools had to play so many AAA schools. In Maryland it's five times worse to the point where most coaches know they have no shot at a state championship, but the feather in their cap that allows them to feel they are successful is just making the playoffs. So they all schedule the worst teams possible. FH, Alco and Keyser are no exception. And as I have said on here many times, Martinsburg is no exception.

This is why I have pushed to expand the number of teams into a playoff. It alleviates the need to schedule yourself into the playoffs and you would get much better regular season match ups.

As for this league discussion...I truly believe it never happens simply because some teams don't want to play other teams in football. Plain and simple.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT