ADVERTISEMENT

Fort Hill forced to move Sherando game

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
Fort Hill has been informed that the October 21 home game against Sherando that was set and contracted for Friday night at 7:00 pm has to be moved. The game will likely be played Friday at 3:00 or Saturday at 7:00 or maybe not at all.

The reason for the forced move was because Allegany plays Northern that same weekend at Greenway Avenue Stadium. The principals and County AD decided that Allegany vs. Northern would get field priority for Friday night despite the fact that this will now make the fourth time in a row Fort Hill has been forced to play the extra Saturday game (no one can tell why or even cares to explain how this keeps happening). In the past this was always done on a rotating basis. But since there is no policy anymore it's basically decided by whatever reason someone can come up with, which is really bad policy.

Allegany has argued that since they only have 4 home games in 2016, playing Northern on Saturday would only give them 3 Friday night games. Fort Hill on the other hand has 5 home games. Allegany did not think it was fair that Fort Hill received 5 Friday games while Allegany only got 3. However, last year in 2015 Fort Hill had 3 Friday games and Allegany had 5 Friday games. So I'm not sure how that can be put into account. The number of home games has never been taken into account because that changes from year to year (Allegany had 6 homes games last year so it's natural they may only have 4 this year). Another reason given was that Northern gets preference because they are a local team. But they will not play Fort Hill. So under this premise it looks like FH always has to play the extra Saturday.

The Sherando AD and head football coach sent an email with these as their preferences in order:

1. Play Friday night at 7:00 as contracted
2. Find someone else to play
3. Play Saturday

When the contracts were signed 18 months ago, the game was set for Friday night under the impression that it would be Fort Hill's turn to have field priority times three. I'm just at a loss how any one can force FH into the extra Saturday for the fourth time in a row. If the roles were reversed I would say the same thing. Everyone can decide whatever they want for themselves. It's a typical Alco vs. FH ego battle with zero common sense. Ugh.

SATURDAY SCHEDUELS SINCE 2011

Alco played 1 Saturday game (Capitol Christian) and played 5 Friday games
FH played 1 Saturday game (Capitol Christian) and played 3 Friday games

Alco played 1 Saturday game (Towson) and played 4 Friday games
FH played 3 Saturday games (North Hagerstown, Walter Johnson, Capitol Christian) and played 3 Friday games

Alco played 1 Saturday game (MATHS) and played 2 Friday games
FH played 2 Saturday games (Central Tech, Southern) and played 2 Friday games

Alco played 1 Saturday game (MATHS) and played 4 Friday games
FH played 2 Saturday games (Silver Oak, Chestnut Ridge) and played 4 Friday games

Alco played 2 Saturday games (MATHS, Calvert) and played 4 Friday games
FH played 2 Saturday games (Perry Traditional, MATHS) and played 4 Friday games

Last edited:
I also remember this same thing happening when CSD played at Fort Hill in 2008. Scheduling conflict made that game be played at 2 PM on a Friday.

Lol funny how there is no scheduling conflict with Fairmont Heights, Silver Oak, and Capital Christian. Of course it has to be Sherando...

Dude, what is the deal with your schedule hang up? Spinning your wheels over and over and over and over again. This thread has nothing to do with it. If you look at the list of Saturday games I posted you see Capitol Christian and MATHS on there constantly. This isn't a scheduling conflict. Two teams share a stadium so naturally there will be multiple weekends both have home games.

Last edited:
I heard that Alco called Sherando to see about moving the game. If this is true, why would someone at Alco call a FH opponent about changing a game. Wow. Who makes the decision that FH must always play saturday. when something happens 4 times in a row there is some crooket back door things being done. I hope none of this is tru.

Fort Hill has been informed that the October 21 home game against Sherando that was set and contracted for Friday night at 7:00 pm has to be moved. The game will likely be played Friday at 3:00 or Saturday at 7:00 or maybe not at all.

The reason for the forced move was because Allegany plays Northern that same weekend at Greenway Avenue Stadium. The principals and County AD decided that Allegany vs. Northern would get field priority for Friday night despite the fact that this will now make the fourth time in a row Fort Hill has been forced to play the extra Saturday game (no one can tell why or even cares to explain how this keeps happening). In the past this was always done on a rotating basis. But since there is no policy anymore it's basically decided by whatever reason someone can come up with, which is really bad policy.

Allegany has argued that since they only have 4 home games in 2016, playing Northern on Saturday would only give them 3 Friday night games. Fort Hill on the other hand has 5 home games. Allegany did not think it was fair that Fort Hill received 5 Friday games while Allegany only got 3. However, last year in 2015 Fort Hill had 3 Friday games and Allegany had 5 Friday games. So I'm not sure how that can be put into account. The number of home games has never been taken into account because that changes from year to year (Allegany had 6 homes games last year so it's natural they may only have 4 this year). Another reason given was that Northern gets preference because they are a local team. But they will not play Fort Hill. So under this premise it looks like FH always has to play the extra Saturday.

The Sherando AD and head football coach sent an email with these as their preferences in order:

1. Play Friday night at 7:00 as contracted
2. Find someone else to play
3. Play Saturday

When the contracts were signed 18 months ago, the game was set for Friday night under the impression that it would be Fort Hill's turn to have field priority times three. I'm just at a loss how any one can force FH into the extra Saturday for the fourth time in a row. If the roles were reversed I would say the same thing. Everyone can decide whatever they want for themselves. It's a typical Alco vs. FH ego battle with zero common sense. Ugh.

SATURDAY SCHEDUELS SINCE 2011

Alco played 1 Saturday game (Capitol Christian) and played 5 Friday games
FH played 1 Saturday game (Capitol Christian) and played 3 Friday games

Alco played 1 Saturday game (Towson) and played 4 Friday games
FH played 3 Saturday games (North Hagerstown, Walter Johnson, Capitol Christian) and played 3 Friday games

Alco played 1 Saturday game (MATHS) and played 2 Friday games
FH played 2 Saturday games (Central Tech, Southern) and played 2 Friday games

Alco played 1 Saturday game (MATHS) and played 4 Friday games
FH played 2 Saturday games (Silver Oak, Chestnut Ridge) and played 4 Friday games

Alco played 2 Saturday games (MATHS, Calvert) and played 4 Friday games
FH played 2 Saturday games (Perry Traditional, MATHS) and played 4 Friday games
I hope they work this out. Last year's FH vs Sherando was a really good game. worth the trip.

They have to make this happen, no matter where it's played.

Alco vs Northern should be moved. The gate draw at FH vs Sherando as well as the competition of the game will be far superior, hands down. Fort Hill has been too accommodating. Alco complaining about Friday night games this year? Oh well. Get over it. Pack up your bus and come to FH on a Saturday! Just think, it might just be a Saturday at FH stadium that Alco can get a W. In all seriousness, FH has changed their schedule enough times. Alco's turn.

Principle Joe Carter has "no balls" to fight for his school! Calhoun always gets his way!

Last edited:
Principle Gary Carter has "no balls" to fight for his school! Calhoun always gets his way!

Joe Carter is NOT a football guy. I'm not even sure if he is a sports guy. He's a disciplinarian, and has done some good work in dealing with the internal and functional issues at the school. Can't fault him for that. But he's not overly concerned with sports on the Hill. It's not his fight anyway.

For gits and shiggles, how about we play the game at Frostburg State? Could this be done? If the option is LOSING a home game, the lost revenue isn't an issue.

Everyone could just show up after halftime at the Alco game so they dont pay admission, and go buy something at the FH concessions. ;)

Not playing this game just isn't an option.

Joe Carter should be the one fighting this issue. It is a financial impact to the school not having a game on a Friday. Saturday night games never seem to have the same attendance as Friday night games.

If it turns out we don't get to play you guys this year over something like this, that'd really suck. I know a ton of Sherando fans who were planning to make the trip up this year. Would've been a great game.

I know the Sherando Coach, AD, and Principal. I'm sure they will be flexible in working with you guys to get the game in. I'm also sure they would let you come back to Stephens City and cut you a check to split the gate if you wanted.

The game will be played, no doubt about it. Fort Hill certainly welcomes the thought of playing Sherando on their turf and you gotta figure Sherando would love to get another crack at Fort Hill. So it will happen. That being said, what a disappointment. Fort Hill really, really needs to fight this. This game needs to be a Friday Night Game at Greenway with all that entails.

Ahhh the politics of Allegany County. Carter won't say a word he's a pu$$y and one of Calhoun's lackey's. Funny Calhoun has the number to call Sherando to change one of FH's games but not the number to schedule a game. Maybe he should put the booze down and push away from the bar once in a while.

the game will be played but the behind the back BS Calhoun tries to pull while smiling in peoples faces is well known especially by FH people

I honestly don't care if FH plays Friday or Saturday personally (although it interrupts my college watching schedule). But I'm not a coach and coaches feel much different for many reasons. The gate for Sherando will be just as big on a Saturday because all the other local area high schools won't have a game and their fans will likely want to see this one. And sadly enough the Alco vs. Northern game probably won't attract more than 300 people no matter what day it's played. This isn't a matter of the gate. Friday night is the high school prime time slot. It's what coaches, players and parents want.

What I'm actually looking for is a shared stadium policy getting implemented that is fair to all parties. And what that means is you alternate who has to play the extra Saturday. The number of home games you have is irrelevant. When it's your turn to play the extra Saturday you play it. That is what we seemingly had in place for 75 years. But for some reason the last 5 years this has not been the case at all. Why and who made those decisions?

C'mon man. Put a dad gum policy in place. We all look like clowns in a circus where no school near or far wants to play either team right now. You can begin to see why this is so on many levels. We can't get out of our own way in Allegany County.

I don't want to see blue or red. If the roles were reversed I would say the same. What is the policy please? The policy can't be however someone wants to interpret the situation. It's not rocket science but self-interest has turned it into just that.

Dude, what is the deal with your schedule hang up? Spinning your wheels over and over and over and over again. This thread has nothing to do with it. If you look at the list of Saturday games I posted you see Capitol Christian and MATHS on there constantly. This isn't a scheduling conflict. Two teams share a stadium so naturally there will be multiple weekends both have home games.
you need to stop responding to anyone without any credible reason for posting other than to get a rise out of you. Seriously, nobody on this board with any common sense would ever question your intentions or motives...the wiseass comments need to be ignored, that's the only way to shut those people up...they crave attention and you are giving it to them.
As usual, thanks for the info., you do a great job of explaining and detailing situations like nobody else can...thanks!

If it turns out we don't get to play you guys this year over something like this, that'd really suck. I know a ton of Sherando fans who were planning to make the trip up this year. Would've been a great game.
speaking of fans, does anyone really think the 275 people that will attend the alco/northern game really care when it's played?

And the reason Allegany-Northern can't be played at 3 on Friday or Saturday is??? Accident is a bit closer than Stephens City.

If it comes to FH having to lose that game because of politics, FH needs to put 70+ on Alco at Homecoming.

What? Just blowing off a little steam I suppose. Fortunately, FH has Appel as a coach and will avoid such silliness. This is not a contract year for some of FH's outstanding talent - rather, it is just the ongoing cycle of young men going to school and then graduating. New players and even a new coach show up and move through the system. Being a class act is the only thing that really endures.

FH band can't be there Saturday. They are at a competition. Sherando fans really gonna miss out on Greenway traditions. Cmon Joe Carter. Do something. It's Alco's turn to play Saturday. I don't get it.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
Growing up I was always amazed at how seamless they complete a schedule year in and year out considering that both schools use the same field in multiple sports each sports season. I know that different sports use different fields in the greater Cumberland area when it comes to practice and all but still amazed that this sort of stuff doesn't happen more often. I hope it doesn't come to Sherando not playing. That would be a shame.

before Parkersburg South opened their field up about 12 years ago,
3 high school teams in Parkersburg shared the same field for over 30 years, never once did a school require another to move a game, cause they didn't want to play on Saturday.

It was a unwritten agreement that on weekends were all 3 played at home 1st time Parkersburg played on Friday, Parkersburg Catholic played Saturday afternoon, and Parkersburg South Saturday night.

The 2nd time it happen Parkersburg South got Friday night and Parkersburg Saturday night.

It worked and helped both schools draw a decent gate.

Reactions: towpath94
this is dumb for the simple reasons.
FH plays sherando on Friday the crowd will be about 8,000 on Saturday around 5,000
Allegany plays Friday 300 Saturday 200
Why don't FH just keep it Friday by offering Alco $1,000 from the gate and everyone is happy!!

The only question that needs answered to solve this issue is "Whose turn is it to play the extra Saturday?" There has to be a sharing policy plain and simple. It's suppose to alternate. No need to complicate the matter.

If one of the administrators of the County do not come up with a sharing policy then there is going to be this stupid bickering and arguing every time from here on out...at total waste of everyone's time and energy. It's ridiculous. Currently there is no policy. It's whatever administrators say as they see fit, which is asking for difficulties.

Back in the day, the head coaches would call each other and, yes, they would alternate taking a Saturday game. I know that Mike did it, and Barry did it as well, so this practice must have gotten lost during Todd"s run. I have my personal opinion as to why this is a problem today but since I can't prove anything, I'll keep it to myself. The bottom line is that this is an easy fix that the HC's could take care of without the Board micro-managing. It just takes a little effort.

Waaaay back in the day, LaSalle then BW played at the stadium. Seemed like every Fri and Sat night there were games. Life was good!! If 3 schools could pull this off, why is there a problem now with just 2??

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT