ADVERTISEMENT

FORT HILL ANNOUNCES 2016 FOOTBALL SCHEDULES

BoyznBlue just wants FH to lose. Period. He always says thats not his MO, but it obviously is. He wants FH to play a schedule that would make Good Counsel or Wise nervous. His schtick is never changing. I give him credit for consistency. Consistently obvious.

Because FH might be competitive occasionally with top tier big schools does not make them a big school. Saying FH should play a schedule comparable to that of, say, Good Counsel because they are good right now..is the same short sighted argument as saying global warming must be false because it's cold today.

FH is one of the better football teams in MD right now. Consistently THE best 1A team for the past few years. No 1A team and only a couple 2A teams play a tougher schedule. End of discussion.

I tell you what, you want to be fair, then get a better PG County school to do a two year home and home even up with no money exchanged. Otherwise you cannot run your mouth about it. We both know that won't happen.

Hahaha. We all know those cheap PG County administrators don't have it in them unless someone else pays for it.

BoyznBlue just wants FH to lose. Period. He always says thats not his MO, but it obviously is. He wants FH to play a schedule that would make Good Counsel or Wise nervous. His schtick is never changing. I give him credit for consistency. Consistently obvious.

Because FH might be competitive occasionally with top tier big schools does not make them a big school. Saying FH should play a schedule comparable to that of, say, Good Counsel because they are good right now..is the same short sighted argument as saying global warming must be false because it's cold today.

FH is one of the better football teams in MD right now. Consistently THE best 1A team for the past few years. No 1A team and only a couple 2A teams play a tougher schedule. End of discussion.

Now be careful FHHSAHS, the way Boyz likes to generalize about fans in this area he will take your quote; "Because FH might be competitive occasionally with top tier big schools does not make them a big school." and turn that into, "FH is consistently competitive with the top tier big schools" and then say that you are one of those who is crying about lack of respect from downstate.

Common refrain on this board? By who? One maybe two posters at most. You love to generalize. The other 98% of the people here like myself could care less what downstate thinks.

OK, my comments are directed to the posters who are whining. If that isn't you we're on the same page.

I type super fast (82 words per minute) so I'll ramble again...

It seems Boyz is the one who is upset over the fact FH gets ranked high in the state poll every year. Apparently most of the folks "down state" have a great admiration and respect for the FH program based on this poll. No one I can recall on this board (or in the stands) feels disrespected other than to debate the strength of schedule issue. All this despite being the toughest ranked schedule in all of Class 1A and most of 2A (too funny). It's like I type the same thing over and over for the last 8 years with this debate. FH is a Class 1A school. As much as certain people wish it wasn't so, it is so. NEWSFLASH: Class 1A is no worse off than it was 30 years ago. The only competition these type of posters want is 3A and 4A powers as it was 30-40 years ago when FH failed to win state titles. At least bigsavage is somewhat reasonable. I buy what he is saying to a degree. He is not suggesting to load up on these 3A and 4A powers. It would have been great to see how FH could have manned up with another team like Urbana for example for just one more tough game. I get that so no disrespect on that opinion. If the regional playoff system wasn't what it is you would see those type of opponents when possible (see what happened to defending champ Douglass PG last year). I will say again...take whatever it is you think you know about the difficulty for FH scheduling and multiply that by 20. THERE WAS NO ONE IN THE STATE OF MARYLAND OR WEST VIRGINIA OPEN FOR OCTOBER 7. Read that statement again.

As for the I-95 Kickoff Classic run by great world shakers like Tony Kennedy and Lamar Smith (Tony was so enjoyable to hang out with at Homecoming last year)...they get what FH is doing. Which is trying to win a state title first, then taking care of financial burdens. First, Week 1 is the easiest week to fill as Waggle pointed out because teams in a league have not started league play yet. Second, the I-95 Classic doesn't pay out. Our fans travel there and pay and they keep the dough. That means FH would have to travel to Baltimore on their own dime with no return game. If Boyz is willing to fork out the $4000 or more in lost revenue I'll set it up like we have to do to get Dunbar here. If not you have no idea what you are talking about. You hypocritically have pointed the finger at FH for getting two year home deals with teams like Douglass PG (of which FH at least paid them) then turn around and ask why FH won't travel somewhere on their own dime with no return game? You cannot preach to FH about how bad that is then turn around and ask FH to do the same thing and for free to boot. Seriously? I hope you don't run the books for any business. I tried for years to get the Dunbar Poets to sign a two year home-and-home deal even up. DUNBAR WILL NEVER COME HERE WITHOUT BEING PAID!!!! Then they require a return game as well!!! Do you comprehend what I just said? Hell, FH has played Dunbar five times and four of those games have been in their own back yard. This philosophy applies to everyone that is legit, not just Dunbar. I tell you what, you want to be fair, then get a better PG County school to do a two year home and home even up with no money exchanged. Otherwise you cannot run your mouth about it. We both know that won't happen. We live in the mountains miles away where few schools exist. That doesn't mean it's our responsibility to lose money and accommodate teams "down state" just to get certain people's proverbial respect about the schedule. C'mon Eddie, open your eyes.

But Tony Kennedy is right. I like talking with him because he fights the good ole boy networks like I spend my time doing. I don't work under a BOE contract and I think that scares the network heads sometimes because I'm not under their control. But they don't have to pay me either. But mostly because Tony says different out-of-the-box things that leaves you scratching your head and that make no sense. But then when you think about it you realize he is right. His Crab Bowl might be the only legit all-star game I know (more later on that). But he allows people up here to see things from a different perspective, which is a good thing. For one, and he will tell you this, kids in the city are more concerned about getting D1 offers then they are winning state titles. It puts the individual goal over team goals. There most certainly is a reason why this area doesn't produce D1 kids very often...it's because we are thinly populated small ball and so the competition is small ball. Sure a player here may record 160 tackles, but how many will he produce playing against other players of his caliber or better? So college coaches know this and hence our kids fly way under the radar despite the lofty highlight and stat resumes. But I counter that by saying college coaches need to evaluate based on what they see, not what they hear. That's why local recruits getting to summer camp is everything. Now that our local kids have grasped this concept the scholarship results are getting better. And this is why 1A and 2A isn't so competitive in the DC or Baltimore areas as Boyz has pointed out in the past. If you are a legit talent, they go to the bigger or private schools outside their school district. In Cumberland they are loyally born and breed red & white or blue & white, they are concerned with state titles...a more team oriented goal as opposed to the individual goal. And that translates to a priority of winning games and running a wing-T offense, not scholarships. Plus, there are not other bigger/private schools to go play for in this area even if they wanted to.

First let me comment on the poll. It's really a bad poll and I'm not sure what your definition of "down state" is, evidently the poll is run out of Frederick and, from the website, I don't think he has any points of reference from PG County. The one newspaper listed, The Gazette, doesn't even exist any longer, lol. To say that I'm "upset" is a little too strong, but yes, I do point out every year the utter silliness that FH is ranked higher than 3A and 4A teams that incur losses because they have to play each other instead of Maths, Silver Oak, Capitol Christian and Fairmont Heights. As I said, I cover MoCo, PG and Southern Maryland, and FH isn't one of the top 25 teams in the state. If I'm a "hater" for telling the truth then so be it. In terms of the schedule, you're the three time state champions, you're supposed to play the toughest schedule in 1A.

Also for the people who say FH is a 1A team and is only concerned about winning the 1A title, I have absolutely no problem with that. The players and coaches work hard towards that goal and they should be congratulated. Personally, when my children win any award, even student of the week I am extremely proud of them. If my son, when he reached high school, can become a 1A champion I'll be the first to jump on here and brag about it. Most of my comments are for the lunatic fringe on the board who say FH can beat DeMatha, lol. The FH philosophy is clearly to schedule to win the title, that's great. And I'm sure it's not easy to schedule games, but you can't schedule one quality Maryland school in 10 years??? And be honest about who you're playing, don't try and tell us Capitol Christian is a good team (that was said by several people the first year you played them). Don't tell us Sherando is equivalent to Martinsburg. I talked to the Martinsburg staff, they got beat last year because they lost 30 seniors and were playing an early season road game with mostly sophomores and still almost wo

Much respect to Tony Kennedy, but it's an inaccurate and unfair statement that "kids in the city are more concerned about getting D1 offers than the are winning state titles." I'm sure he works with some players like that, but across the board that simply isn't a true statement.

First of all, who said FH is even "occasionally competitive with top tier big schools?" They aren't. I keep telling you FH can't play with the top 4A and 3A teams. Watch the tape from the DuVal scrimmage. They are definitely the best 1A team and can play with many 2A teams. But they aren't even going to beat the top 2A schools. The FH admin/coaches know this that's why they won't play them.

No one cares about your 3A and 4A comparisons. Only you do it seems and I have no idea why. No one says FH can beat DeMatha. Show me where someone does say that. I, Todd Helmick will say FH can absolutely beat many very good 3A and 4A schools. We will just disagree. But it is fairly obvious the state poll thing bothers you which leads to the digs on the FH schedule. If your basis is on that idiotic poll, good luck with all that. If FH plays the toughest schedule in all of 1A, that's all you need to say.

But don't call out the schedule based on why FH won't travel to Baltimore for a one time game. Or why FH gets a one or two game home series with teams like Douglass PG after paying them. Once again, find one of the MoCo, PG and Southern Maryland schools you cover and see if they will do an even home and home with FH with no money exchanged. The Walter Johnson AD told me when they came to Cumberland it was the first time they left Montgomery County to play a game in over a decade. For you to keep insinuating "Nobody will play FH" is a something I make up, you have no idea what you are talking about. It doesn't always have to do with competition. It also has to do with travel and expense and the fact there are plenty of teams to play in their own back yard. Or the silly PG County 50 mile travel restriction. That's what I mean when I say open your eyes.

Tony Kennedy told me exactly what I posted about D1 scholarships and kids in the city. And he is 100% accurate. Maybe not across the board, but yes predominately that is the sentiment with the better athletes. I never said winning wasn't important to those kids, but yes they absolutely put D1 scholarships first on the priority list big time. In fact I believe his exact words were, "You folks up in Western Maryland only care about winning state titles, they don't care about that around the city. They are looking to put kids into the big time and that means scheduling big games." Although I disagreed with him in that not all city schools do that, at least not the Class 1A or 2A schools. He also said FH would compete with Good Counsel if they had to travel to Cumberland. That's after I tried to see what kind of television broadcast he could get me (out of curiosity) if we made something like that happen. I told him he was nuts. He said don't be fooled, kids down there see a packed Greenway and get nervous and that system FH runs would cause them trouble. I still don't agree but then again I don't always agree with him. Feel free to ask him. I personally would like to see it, not Good Counsel per say...but get DuVal or Quince Orchard, yea I would love it even through a loss. The kids would love the opportunity as well. But the playoff system won't allow it plain and simple. Why, because Alco and FH care about winning state titles more than playing 4A powers. If Alco beats FH in the playoffs, no one up here cares if FH had beaten someone like Wise in the regular season. Get it?

You see what happened to Douglass last season after playing Wise and Potomac tight? They got left out of the playoffs with no chance to defend their 2A state title. They even got out pointed in their own region by Gwynn Park, a team they beat by 30 freaking points! We get it.

Last edited:
First of all, who said FH is even "occasionally competitive with top tier big schools?" They aren't. I keep telling you FH can't play with the top 4A and 3A teams. .

You keep telling us a lot of things. Your opinion is definitely that.

If I'm a "hater" for telling the truth then so be it. In terms of the schedule, you're the three time state champions, you're supposed to play the toughest schedule in 1A.

Nooo...you're a hater because you keep a) assuming your opinion is truth and b) making claims that are on the fringe of ludicrous. And you're right, FH should play the toughest schedule in 1A. And they do. By far.

Also for the people who say FH is a 1A team and is only concerned about winning the 1A title, I have absolutely no problem with that. The players and coaches work hard towards that goal and they should be congratulated. Personally, when my children win any award, even student of the week I am extremely proud of them. If my son, when he reached high school, can become a 1A champion I'll be the first to jump on here and brag about it.

You'd be the first to brag that your son playing for a 1A school won the championship in 1A. So how would you feel to the troll who constantly says "but your son really didn't prove anything"...cause thats what you do...constantly. You can't separate yourself from the reality. How about when your son competes in the 6th grade science fair and wins. Would you tell him, "but yeah...you didn't compete against any 8th graders. So..."

Most of my comments are for the lunatic fringe on the board who say FH can beat DeMatha, lol.

Who are these people...who is saying that? Ever? Unless there is someone on here trying to bait you, who of any of us are habitually saying that??? I mean, anyone could win in any given year, but FH is not going to be competitive with Dematha, so who are you arguing with? And if you are saying that FH wouldnt be competitive with these teams, why do you constantly suggest they schedule them??

Don't tell us Sherando is equivalent to Martinsburg. I talked to the Martinsburg staff, they got beat last year because they lost 30 seniors and were playing an early season road game with mostly sophomores and still almost won

Correct, last year Sherando wasnt equivalent to Martinsburg, they were better. That happens in high school football. Teams get up, then teams get down. FH beat Martinsburg in a year that Alco ended up winning the region. It happens.

Yep, FH lost to DeMatha in 96 30-12...If they would have played in 97 it would have been closer I think...

Lunatic Fringe...over and out! lol

Yep, FH lost to DeMatha in 96 30-12...If they would have played in 97 it would have been closer I think...

Lunatic Fringe...over and out! lol

Thank you for admitting your "Lunatic Fringe" membership, lol

Boyz, I will put any amount of money that there isn't 25 Schools in the State better than Fort Hill
Tell The State to put them in the 1A Title Game No matter what next year and FH can play Your Top 10 and Finish The Season with a Winning Record..........
Sherando if in MD and not VA, would of been Top 5 in The State of Maryland last year

Reactions: sentinel-nurse
Nooo...you're a hater because you keep a) assuming your opinion is truth and b) making claims that are on the fringe of ludicrous. And you're right, FH should play the toughest schedule in 1A. And they do. By far.

Who are these people...who is saying that? Ever? Unless there is someone on here trying to bait you, who of any of us are habitually saying that??? I mean, anyone could win in any given year, but FH is not going to be competitive with Dematha, so who are you arguing with? And if you are saying that FH wouldnt be competitive with these teams, why do you constantly suggest they schedule them??

Correct, last year Sherando wasnt equivalent to Martinsburg, they were better. That happens in high school football. Teams get up, then teams get down. FH beat Martinsburg in a year that Alco ended up winning the region. It happens.

I never suggested FH should play DeMatha or any of the better private school because it wouldn't be a fair match-up. Right now I don't even think any of the 4A MD public high schools can compete with the private schools like DeMatha, Good Counsel, Gonzaga, etc. - and it's not fair because obviously those schools can recruit.

Agreed, teams get up then teams get down. But over a 5 year period Martinsburg was 4-1 against Sherando with 3 shut-outs. FH would have probably beat an extremely young Martinsburg team early in the year. But over an extended period over time Martinsburg is going to beat both teams a vast majority of the time. That's the main reason FH left the CVAL in the first place.

My main point is that you can't have it both ways. If you want to say FH is a small 1A team that can't compete against Martinsburg, Seneca Valley, DuVal, etc. - I have absolutely no problem with that statement. But it's not consistent to say FH can't play with the 4A schools but they can play Walter Johnson, clearly because they don't have a winning football program. The other comment is we're just playing for the 1A title and we're going to design our schedule to accomplish that - once again, I have no problem with that statement and/or philosophy. But then people like you say, but we're still one of the best teams in the state. You don't play any of the top teams in the state, in the last 6 years you haven't played a team that was even remotely near the top 20 teams in the state.

In the last two years have you seen any of the 4A schools play in person?

Boyz, I will put any amount of money that there isn't 25 Schools in the State better than Fort Hill
Tell The State to put them in the 1A Title Game No matter what next year and FH can play Your Top 10 and Finish The Season with a Winning Record..........
Sherando if in MD and not VA, would of been Top 5 in The State of Maryland last year

That would be an interesting concept, but FH has refused to play any serious competition over the last 6 years. It's very much a missed opportunity for these kids to prove themselves. And like I said, FH left the CVAL because Martinsburg was wearing them out.

No one cares about your 3A and 4A comparisons. Only you do it seems and I have no idea why. No one says FH can beat DeMatha. Show me where someone does say that. I, Todd Helmick will say FH can absolutely beat many very good 3A and 4A schools. We will just disagree. But it is fairly obvious the state poll thing bothers you which leads to the digs on the FH schedule. If your basis is on that idiotic poll, good luck with all that. If FH plays the toughest schedule in all of 1A, that's all you need to say.

But don't call out the schedule based on why FH won't travel to Baltimore for a one time game. Or why FH gets a one or two game home series with teams like Douglass PG after paying them. Once again, find one of the MoCo, PG and Southern Maryland schools you cover and see if they will do an even home and home with FH with no money exchanged. The Walter Johnson AD told me when they came to Cumberland it was the first time they left Montgomery County to play a game in over a decade. For you to keep insinuating "Nobody will play FH" is a something I make up, you have no idea what you are talking about. It doesn't always have to do with competition. It also has to do with travel and expense and the fact there are plenty of teams to play in their own back yard. Or the silly PG County 50 mile travel restriction. That's what I mean when I say open your eyes.

Tony Kennedy told me exactly what I posted about D1 scholarships and kids in the city. And he is 100% accurate. Maybe not across the board, but yes predominately that is the sentiment with the better athletes. I never said winning wasn't important to those kids, but yes they absolutely put D1 scholarships first on the priority list big time. In fact I believe his exact words were, "You folks up in Western Maryland only care about winning state titles, they don't care about that around the city. They are looking to put kids into the big time and that means scheduling big games." Although I disagreed with him in that not all city schools do that, at least not the Class 1A or 2A schools. He also said FH would compete with Good Counsel if they had to travel to Cumberland. That's after I tried to see what kind of television broadcast he could get me (out of curiosity) if we made something like that happen. I told him he was nuts. He said don't be fooled, kids down there see a packed Greenway and get nervous and that system FH runs would cause them trouble. I still don't agree but then again I don't always agree with him. Feel free to ask him. I personally would like to see it, not Good Counsel per say...but get DuVal or Quince Orchard, yea I would love it even through a loss. The kids would love the opportunity as well. But the playoff system won't allow it plain and simple. Why, because Alco and FH care about winning state titles more than playing 4A powers. If Alco beats FH in the playoffs, no one up here cares if FH had beaten someone like Wise in the regular season. Get it?

You see what happened to Douglass last season after playing Wise and Potomac tight? They got left out of the playoffs with no chance to defend their 2A state title. They even got out pointed in their own region by Gwynn Park, a team they beat by 30 freaking points! We get it.

FH is the best team in 1A hands down, great tradition, good coaching staff, etc. - I try to give them their props as much as possible. Yes, I'm critical of the schedule; Yes, I'm critical of the poll. I even agree with you about how difficult it is to assemble the schedule. One question for you Todd: How was Alco able to travel to Calvert two years in a row and also travel to St. Charles (Waldorf)? I'm not trying to be a smartass with this question, but why can't FH do something similar?

This is a message board and we often deal with opinions, I just don't agree with Tony Kennedy about kids not caring about titles, and I'm basing that on the coaches and players I come in contact with. In Southern Maryland they take it seriously. Maybe he's referring to Baltimore, and I very rarely talk about B-more because I don't cover that region. I also really question his opinion that FH can compete with Good Counsel. Based on team speed, talent and amount of D1 players they produce on a yearly basis, GC would have FH on a running clock. FH isn't going to wear down the GC line, they aren't going to outscheme them with the Wing T, and they certainly aren't going to pass the ball on them either. GC sent a LB to Ohio State last year, and this year they have 4 of the top 20 players in the state. I think he may have been pulling your leg, lol

The Douglass staff scheduled Wise because they are about 5 miles away from each other and it was a big neighborhood game. They also know they can't compete with Wise every year, but they took the game because they were coming off a championship year and they had some phenomenal talent coming back. Their QB signed with Syracuse after the season and also had several other D1 players. Douglass stepped up because they wanted to test themselves, not because they didn't care about the 2A championship. In retrospect, it's probably a decision they regret, but I respect them for playing the game. It was actually the loss to Potomac that cost them because they haven't had great teams in recent years and they didn't expect to lose that game.

"FH left the CVAL because Martinsburg was wearing them out."

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Zero. Stop playing your "I wasn't there" guessing game and then trying to convince yourself it's fact. It's making you delusional. FH joined the AMAC as did every school in this area. That's why they left the CVAL. The choice was logical as the CVAL was a football only situation. FH did what was best for every sport as would anybody. Martinsburg had ZERO to do with it. In fact, FH played Martinsburg twice soon after they left the CVAL and split the series.

I don't know why Alco had a 2 for 1 deal with Calvert. I think Calvert might have paid for their travel one year but don't quote me on that. They picked up St. Charles at the last minute to fill a void. It was the first year St. Charles fielded a team. They also traveled to Ridgway, PA for a one year deal. Much the same as FH picked up a game at Brunswick for 2016 on a one year deal. Or the year FH traveled to Ligonier Valley for a one year deal.

As for that football poll that bothers you so much, obviously multiple people from around the state that vote totally disagree with you. As do I. If there was one Allegany County school to match enrollments, it would win the PG County League 9 out of 10 years. Not even close. I've seen and followed PG County football for 3 decades. I'm close friends with guys that have coached there for 3 decades. And I've got news for you...it's not that good. Granted there will be years when a very good Wise or QO steps up to a high level, but across the board and on a consistent basis forget it. Virginia schools with the same enrollments would beat them silly.

Last edited:
And here, I thought FH left the CVAL to join the AMAC! My bad! Oh, BTW, wasn't it Alco that quit the CVAL, not once, but twice!

I was at the DuVal scrimmage. Allow me to post a synopsis. DuVal gets the ball first, gets one first down and punts. FH gets the ball and marches 80 yards on like a 10 play drive using the typical big fullback like a knife through butter. Then the first team never sees the field again nor does the big fullback carry the ball again. After that DuVal beats FH with most of their subs. Because at small schools there really aren't any quality subs.

Now Todd, you should know by now, he will take your statement, "He also said FH would compete with Good Counsel if they had to travel to Cumberland. " and change it too " The guy who makes Fort Hill's schedule said Fort Hill can compete with Good Counsel if they come to Cumberland because Fort Hill will use "their" officials." He will refer to that at a later time on this board or another one. Count on it.

"Brian1974", I was at scrimmage also, that's the way I remember it. Didn't film it, but if I remember correctly, FH's 2's and 3's played 65-70% of scrimmage, other team didn't start subbing til well into the game, Correct me if I'm wrong please.

And to think all these years I thought Fort Hill dropped Martinsburg because the quality of the food and service at the Park N Dine had declined to the point it just wasn't worth the road trip anymore.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
"FH left the CVAL because Martinsburg was wearing them out."

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Zero. Stop playing your "I wasn't there" guessing game and then trying to convince yourself it's fact. It's making you delusional. FH joined the AMAC as did every school in this area. That's why they left the CVAL. The choice was logical as the CVAL was a football only situation. FH did what was best for every sport as would anybody. Martinsburg had ZERO to do with it. In fact, FH played Martinsburg twice soon after they left the CVAL and split the series.

As for that football poll that bothers you so much, obviously multiple people from around the state that vote totally disagree with you. As do I. If there was one Allegany County school to match enrollments, it would win the PG County League 9 out of 10 years. Not even close. I've seen and followed PG County football for 3 decades. I'm close friends with guys that have coached there for 3 decades. And I've got news for you...it's not that good. Granted there will be years when a very good Wise or QO steps up to a high level, but across the board and on a consistent basis forget it. Virginia schools with the same enrollments would beat them silly.

It's true that FH played Martinsburg twice after leaving the CVAL, but the last 8 games against them FH was 1-7. FH can always catch Martinsburg in a rebuilding year and beat them, just like Sherando did last season, but they're going to get beat most of the time. That's why FH is playing CC, Fairmont Heights, Maths, etc. - Are you telling me in the last 6 years you couldn't put together a FH/Martinsburg game? http://articles.herald-mail.com/2006-10-21/news/25060214_1_fort-hill-drew-yurko-sentinels

It's funny the word delusional is being used by someone who suggested FH can compete with Good Counsel. In terms of the PG league, it's easy to talk "what if", but there's a simple way to find out. Stop playing Fairmont Heights and come down and play Bowie. They finished 4th or 5th last year and they are heads and shoulders above FH and Alco.

But since you won't play any serious teams, look at the players who are getting recruited. Talk to your "sources" - there's a reason PG kids are getting scholarships.

Last edited:
I was at the DuVal scrimmage. Allow me to post a synopsis. DuVal gets the ball first, gets one first down and punts. FH gets the ball and marches 80 yards on like a 10 play drive using the typical big fullback like a knife through butter. Then the first team never sees the field again nor does the big fullback carry the ball again. After that DuVal beats FH with most of their subs. Because at small schools there really aren't any quality subs.

FH scored on their first possession and didn't score again. DuVal adjusted to the run heavy package and stopped it the rest of the scrimmage. DuVal then scored 4 TD's in a row. The Brooks kid (who signed with Maryland after the season) was in and out, he didn't play like it was a regular season game.

When you play Forestville, Capitol Christian, Silver Oak, etc., you can run the ball the whole game. But when you man up against a serious team like DuVal, E Roosevelt, Suitland, it's not going to work. Those are well-coached teams that are going to adjust and exploit your weaknesses. But when you only see bad teams from PG and Baltimore come to Greenway I understand why Cumberland people say all schools from the city are undisciplined.

FH scored on their first possession and didn't score again. DuVal adjusted to the run heavy package and stopped it the rest of the scrimmage. DuVal then scored 4 TD's in a row. The Brooks kid (who signed with Maryland after the season) was in and out, he didn't play like it was a regular season game.

When you play Forestville, Capitol Christian, Silver Oak, etc., you can run the ball the whole game. But when you man up against a serious team like DuVal, E Roosevelt, Suitland, it's not going to work. Those are well-coached teams that are going to adjust and exploit your weaknesses. But when you only see bad teams from PG and Baltimore come to Greenway I understand why Cumberland people say all schools from the city are undisciplined.
What part of FH did not play their starters after they scored don't you get?. Take your meds.

It's true that FH played Martinsburg twice after leaving the CVAL, but the last 8 games against them FH was 1-7. FH can always catch Martinsburg in a rebuilding year and beat them, just like Sherando did last season, but they're going to get beat most of the time. That's why FH is playing CC, Fairmont Heights, Maths, etc. - Are you telling me in the last 6 years you couldn't put together a FH/Martinsburg game? http://articles.herald-mail.com/2006-10-21/news/25060214_1_fort-hill-drew-yurko-sentinels

It's funny the word delusional is being used by someone who suggested FH can compete with Good Counsel. In terms of the PG league, it's easy to talk "what if", but there's a simple way to find out. Stop playing Fairmont Heights and come down and play Bowie. They finished 4th or 5th last year and they are heads and shoulders above FH and Alco.

But since you won't play any serious teams, look at the players who are getting recruited. Talk to your "sources" - there's a reason PG kids are getting scholarships.

Lol, told you guys. Didn't even take 24 hrs.

Stop crying over the schedule, grow up, and get a life! There's better things in life than wining over high school football! The kids can care a less who they play, as long they have another good season meeting there goals.

Can you at least read before responding? I have agreed with you on some issues in the past but this thread doesn't give you an impression of being very astute. I never said FH would beat Good Counsel. Tony Kennedy said he thought FH could play with them. And I disagreed with him. READ if you are going to respond!

I went to Martinsburg the last time FH played them in 2010. It was Coach Appel's second worst team in his tenure full of juniors. The game was still a good one until it fell apart in the end. And do you know why it fell apart in the end? BECAUSE WHEN THE MARTINSBURG OFFENSE LEFT THE FIELD, A COMPLETELY NEW SET OF PLAYERS CAME ON TO PLAY DEFENSE. I know because I was on the Martinsburg sidelines talking to their AD being amazed at this for an entire quarter. Few if any of them played both ways. FH had about 14 kids play the entire game. They were completely spent. If you cannot understand what all that means in terms of numbers then I suggest you go back and find a way to put a helmet on and relive how football works first hand. That's why it's an unfair advantage to play Class 4A powers. It's like Ralph Friedgen said after his first year in the Orange Bowl getting pounded on by the Gators. He said, "Florida started subbing in the 2nd quarter. We had no subs." It should also be noted that not only did FH get dominated by Martinsburg, the entire state of WV has as well.

As for Bowie or any other PG County School...are they going to pay FH to come there? Why not? FH has to pay them to come here. Don't push a double standard that comfortably fits your anti-FH billfold. If your county doesn't have any athletic funding, don't come barking up here for any. Money and respect has to be a two way street. I will repeat again for obvious reasons the things you refuse to read or comprehend: Virginia Class 6A schools would pound the PG County schools. A Cumberland school with over 2000 students would win the PG County title 9 out of 10 years. Whether you agree or not is irrelevant because once again for the 50th time you are still trying to knock FH fans off their state title high horse by comparing them with Class 4A powers. FH can only say thank you for that great compliment.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
What part of FH did not play their starters after they scored don't you get?. Take your meds.

You have an excuse for everything, lol: FH didn't play their starters against DuVal, FH had the wrong QB in against Keyser, FH can't get a game because nobody will play them except (Capitol Christian, Walter Johnson and Fairmont Heights).

"Brian1974", I was at scrimmage also, that's the way I remember it. Didn't film it, but if I remember correctly, FH's 2's and 3's played 65-70% of scrimmage, other team didn't start subbing til well into the game, Correct me if I'm wrong please.

I can't speak for how much DuVal subbed and how early. Not familiar enough with their personnel. That's what scrimmages are for though. I knew before that scrimmage even started what the plan was going to be. FH coaches stated they were going to run the first unit one offensive and one defensive series and then would immediately start subbing. Which they did.

I've actually been amazed at how much FH coaches sub in the Quad right from the start. That approach has really changed the last couple of years. It's the very smart approach. You as a coach want to see who can play against the other team's best players...not subs against subs. They already have a general understanding of who the starters will be, finding the others is what a scrimmage is for. I would bet that first group (especially on defense) that saw action against Wilson in the Quad last year probably was more than 50% changed by seasons end.

Last edited:
Can you at least read before responding? I have agreed with you on some issues in the past but this thread doesn't give you an impression of being very astute. I never said FH would beat Good Counsel. Tony Kennedy said he thought FH could play with them. And I disagreed with him. READ if you are going to respond!

I went to Martinsburg the last time FH played them in 2010. It was Coach Appel's second worst team in his tenure full of juniors. The game was still a good one until it fell apart in the end. And do you know why it fell apart in the end? BECAUSE WHEN THE MARTINSBURG OFFENSE LEFT THE FIELD, A COMPLETELY NEW SET OF PLAYERS CAME ON TO PLAY DEFENSE. I know because I was on the Martinsburg sidelines talking to their AD being amazed at this for an entire quarter. Few if any of them played both ways. FH had about 14 kids play the entire game. They were completely spent. If you cannot understand what all that means in terms of numbers then I suggest you go back and find a way to put a helmet on and relive how football works first hand. That's why it's an unfair advantage to play Class 4A powers. It's like Ralph Friedgen said after his first year in the Orange Bowl getting pounded on by the Gators. He said, "Florida started subbing in the 2nd quarter. We had no subs." It should also be noted that not only did FH get dominated by Martinsburg, the entire state of WV has as well.

As for Bowie or any other PG County School...are they going to pay FH to come there? Why not? FH has to pay them to come here. Don't push a double standard that comfortably fits your anti-FH billfold. If your county doesn't have any athletic funding, don't come barking up here for any. Money and respect has to be a two way street. I will repeat again for obvious reasons the things you refuse to read or comprehend: Virginia Class 6A schools would pound the PG County schools. A Cumberland school with over 2000 students would win the PG County title 9 out of 10 years. Whether you agree or not is irrelevant because once again for the 50th time you are still trying to knock FH fans off their state title high horse by comparing them with Class 4A powers. FH can only say thank you for that great compliment.

I already addressed the comments by Tony Kennedy, Good Counsel has 4 of the best players in the state this year, he's either delusional, joking, or just doesn't know football. If I did misquote you I do apologize.

You aren't reading what I'm writing. Once again, this is a message board to debate. Everything I'm saying I am backing up with stats. The response I get is, "You're a hater." I haven't said anything negative about FH except to say the schedule isn't a great schedule if you want to be considered one of the best teams in the state. If you aren't saying that, we don't disagree.

In fact, you are the one bashing PG schools. "A Cumberland school with over 2000 students would win the PG County title 9 out of 10 years?" then you said, "I've seen and followed PG County football for 3 decades. I'm close friends with guys that have coached there for 3 decades. And I've got news for you...it's not that good." - If I said Allegany County football "isn't that good" I would be accused of disrespecting all the kids that work hard in the weight room. I've never said Alco or Fort Hill aren't good teams. And you are totally wrong. Check how many PG players get D1 scholarships every year. There was a PG player in the Super Bowl each of the last two years, and the Pro Bowl. How many successful college players has FH produced over the last 10 years?

Did you really just say Bowie was head and shoulders above FH? And it seemed like you referred to them as a serious team??

You have said multiple things that contain no stats or facts whatsoever. Whether it was why FH dropped out of the CVAL or why FH doesn't go to Baltimore to play in the I-95 Classic or your belief that FH has no problems finding games if they wanted. You have no involvement or knowledge whatsoever in those situations. You have provided zero stats about scholarship percentage numbers between two Cumberland schools and all of PG County, especially the 1A and 2A programs there.

If you want to keep debating that silly state media poll, I would say absolutely FH could have beaten DuVal, Bowie, Suitland, Flowers, Parkdale, Laurel and many others last year. Some would have been good games to watch. But that doesn't mean FH has to go out and schedule them to prove or not prove a scheduling point with people like you when I've stated multiple times and you have stated multiple times that scenario is not conducive to the big goal of winning state titles. FH doesn't hang trophies on the wall for beating Bowie or Suitland.

But the bottom line...Stop pulling out championship level 4A schools to compare FH with over and over again. Do you have any idea how ridiculous that sounds?

Check out how many PG players get scholarships every year. There was a PG player in the Super Bowl each of the last two years, and the Pro Bowl. How many successful college players has FH produced over the last 10 years?

QUOTE OF THE YEAR
Hahahaha haha
So your comparing all of PG County and it's population of nearly a million people to FH? Boyz you sure do provide great stats.

Stat II
How many state titles has all of PG County combined produced during the same 10 years? Not more than little ole Fort Hill. Looks like you proved that Tony guy right. FH cares about titles. PG County cares about scholarships.

FYI you can watch Maryland spring game Sat and see who is the starting tailback.

You have said multiple things that contain no stats or facts whatsoever. Whether it was why FH dropped out of the CVAL or why FH doesn't go to Baltimore to play in the I-95 Classic or your belief that FH has no problems finding games if they wanted. You have no involvement or knowledge whatsoever in those situations. You have provided zero stats about scholarship percentage numbers between two Cumberland schools and all of PG County, especially the 1A and 2A programs there.

If you want to keep debating that silly state media poll, I would say absolutely FH could have beaten DuVal, Bowie, Suitland, Flowers, Parkdale, Laurel and many others last year. Some would have been good games to watch. But that doesn't mean FH has to go out and schedule them to prove or not prove a scheduling point with people like you when I've stated multiple times and you have stated multiple times that scenario is not conducive to the big goal of winning state titles. FH doesn't hang trophies on the wall for beating Bowie or Suitland.

But the bottom line...Stop pulling out championship level 4A schools to compare FH with over and over again. Do you have any idea how ridiculous that sounds?

I agree it's ridiculous to "pull out championship level 4A schools to compare FH with." I'm the one saying there's no comparison. You (and others) are saying they can compete, but you haven't played a team even close to that quality in over 7 years. You don't "hang trophies on the wall for beating Bowie or Suitland" but you do hang trophies for beating Forestville and Capital Christian? Name the last Top 20 Maryland team you played. I already mentioned it's funny Alco can come down here and play but FH somehow can't figure out the logistics.

I talked directly to someone who worked with the 1-95 Classic that told me FH turned down games 2 years in a row. That's a direct quote.

You ask me why FH stopped playing Martinsburg, I provided this link: http://articles.herald-mail.com/2006-10-21/news/25060214_1_fort-hill-drew-yurko-sentinels
Why don't you call the AD at Martinsburg this morning and make the game in 2018? I think we know why. Martinsburg has the same enrollment as Walter Johnson. That whole 1A argument is just an excuse, there are schools that play serious football and schools that don't. That's why FH can beat Walter Johnson. In fact, Cumberland is the only place I even hear people whining about being 1A.

I already mentioned that FH would finish in the middle of the pack of PG 4A South, which in itself is a compliment for a 1A school. I agree they can beat Parkdale, High Point and a few other schools that are not serious about football.

You talk about the "scholarship percentage between two Cumberland schools and PG County", I really don't care enough to do that research. But off the top of my head, I have already mentioned Brooks from DuVal going the UMD this season, and Butler from Douglass (2A) going to Syracuse this year (after turning down Florida State). I also already mentioned Kyle Arrington from Gwynn Park (2A) who plays for the Ravens and won a Super Bowl two years ago with the Pats. I already mentioned Navarro Bowman from Suitland who was in the Pro Bowl this season. I'm waiting for you to name one successful college player from FH.

QUOTE OF THE YEAR
Hahahaha haha
So your comparing all of PG County and it's population of nearly a million people to FH? Boyz you sure do provide great stats.

Stat II
How many state titles has all of PG County combined produced during the same 10 years? Not more than little ole Fort Hill. Looks like you proved that Tony guy right. FH cares about titles. PG County cares about scholarships.

FYI you can watch Maryland spring game Sat and see who is the starting tailback.

Once again, I'm not comparing PG to FH, people on this board are saying it's a fair comparison. In terms of championships, PG only has a few 3A and 1A schools, but Douglass won 2A last season and Wise won 4A this year. If you don't follow 4A ball all season it's impossible to understand how good the teams are. It's an accomplishment even getting to M&T. In the 4A playoffs you have to play the number two team in your own division again, then the best team from Anne Arundel which is always a monster and then the best team in Montgomery. There aren't any Northerns and Forestvilles. There aren't any playoff games to rest the starters in the 4th quarter.

I'll be at the Red/White game on the sidelines and Ty Jessie is probably going with the 1's, but it's going to be a battle with the Harrison kid from DeMatha to see who starts in the fall.

Why don't you talk about Alco's schedule and stop picking at Fort Hill ??

Read the whole thread, I fully admit Allegany is just as bad as FH. WMD is only place in the whole state where you can just make up your own schedule.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT