ADVERTISEMENT

For Hill 63 Chestnut Ridge 0 at the Half

The starters were removed with over two minutes left in the 1st half. The second team scored FH's final TD to make it 63-0 at the half. Final 63-19. I don't think CR had 15 yards in the 1st half. They didn't get a first down until 4:50 left in the 2nd.

Feel bad for Chestnut. One of the few teams willing to play Cumberland schools. But they were really bad.

Is it possible to be accused of running up the score midway through the 2nd quarter? Thought I heard a few of their fans mention it. Anything is possible I guess. Thought I'd heard it all. Chestnut actually won 2nd half 19-0 albeit against FH emptied bench.

I dont think I've ever seen a 1st half played entirely on one teams side of the field like I did last night. Unless I am forgetting a drive when it started getting out of hand the longest FH scoring drive couldnt have been over 30-35 yards.

There's no such thing as "running up the score", IMO. Don't like it, stop it. Plain & simple. I would never tell a player not to play hard for a variety of reasons, including risk of injury.

There's no such thing as "running up the score", IMO. Don't like it, stop it. Plain & simple. I would never tell a player not to play hard for a variety of reasons, including risk of injury.
When Alco kicked a fieldgoal with seconds left, wrong. Keeping starters in with an unbelievable lead up to the half, wrong. All this does is drive another nail in the coffin of not being able to schedule games. So, what are we proving here? That you can beat CR by a bigger score than Allegany?

I don't feel that either teams ran the score up on CR. First Allegany kicking the fg imo was the right call. There may be a time during the season or playoffs that a fg wins the game. Why wouldn't you give him actual game experience. As for FH lastnight it's an early season and kids need to be used to playing a full game. They did all there damage in the first have and rested starters in the second. Kids cannot get used to only playing a quarter of football, becouse there's gonna be a time they need to play 4. Alegany and Fort Hill both did what they needed to do against a lessor opponent IMHO

Allegany really don't rest there starters like Todd does. They usually rest them when there's two minutes left in the game. LOL !!!

I don't think any team scoring its only points in the first half regardless of the score "running it up". While it may not be exactly a great feeling to have it happen to your own team or anyone, FH has a ton to work on. Iron out kinks, mistakes, etc. You can not look at those mistakes with your starters on the sidelines. Many were starting at different positions and they need reps. It is what it is but last week was surely a disaster to look at on film.

The problem last night was forthills average starting field position was well inside of CR territory. FH couldn't help that CR made bad turnovers deep in their own territory resulting in 3 yard scores.

The problem last night was forthills average starting field position was well inside of CR territory. FH couldn't help that CR made bad turnovers deep in their own territory resulting in 3 yard scores.

yep it was just crazy. I dont recall a game with so many short drives to score. There were I think 3 PR's or INTs returned inside the 10 on top of the pick 6. Even the other drives were no longer than 30-35 yards.

For any score to get that out of hand that quickly the losing team had to bring their F game in all 3 parts of the game.

I don't think any team scoring its only points in the first half regardless of the score "running it up". While it may not be exactly a great feeling to have it happen to your own team or anyone, FH has a ton to work on. Iron out kinks, mistakes, etc. You can not look at those mistakes with your starters on the sidelines. Many were starting at different positions and they need reps. It is what it is but last week was surely a disaster to look at on film.
You and I agree on a lot. I don't agree with this. Giving work to players is no excuse for keeping your starters on the field with a score like that. What you gain in player experience will hurt the image of the program. Watch CR drop FH down the road and will be one more school that is reasonably close that will no longer play FH.

We will just have to disagree. Real game situation and fixing mistakes to me is crucial. The score was just as much their fault as it was FH's. Especially when FH had people in different places that need the reps. Sorry, FH didn't score the entire second half and did nothing to stop their drives against FH's back ups in the second half.

Last edited:
Reactions: MCsoccerplex
Running up the score in the first half. LOL.

People come up with all these stupid reasons why teams won't play Cumberland schools. The reason is because they get beaten. Like I've said if FH didn't win a game for 2 years all those same schools would get in line to play.

A
We will just have to disagree. Real game situation and fixing mistakes to me is crucial. The score was just as much their fault as it was ours. Especially when we had people in different places that need the reps. Sorry, we didn't score the entire second half and did nothing to stop their drives against our back ups in the second half.
You are right. We will disagree. CR was over matched against Alco and Alco kicked a fieldgoal with seconds left. FH had scored over 50 pts and CR couldn't get a first down. Yet, FH kept its first team in until almost the end of the half racking up over 50 pts. I don't care about needing a work out. A high school is not a freakin tune up to some schools championship aspirations. It was lousy and I will always think less of Appel because of it. It is not CR's problem that FH dropped a game they should have won. If you are from FH you will think too damn bad FH needed the work out. Other folks will think differently and I am one of them. I don't give a damn about what FH needs. Also, understand when most others were diving under rocks I was defending FH against trolls. So, nobody can accuse me of being anti FH. This score run up was just wrong.

Last edited:
I don't speak for FH. All is just an opinion. I am nobody. I'll leave it alone. You play the game to get better and win. You don't do that from the sidelines. Someone will always complain about something. It's just our nature.

Reactions: MCsoccerplex
I don't speak for FH. All is just an opinion. I am nobody. I'll leave it alone. You play the game to get better and win. You don't do that from the sidelines. Someone will always complain about something. It's just our nature.
I am not attacking you. You are one of the good guys. I am just saddened at what Appel decided to do. I think he caved to the pressure and later in life he will look back on this and feel very bad that he ran up the score. I am an old person now and one day he will be also. We all have regrets. This will be one of his.

No offense Lag but the whole tune up argument is far fetched. Every team has championship aspirations. Every game is a stepping stone to a goal. I am not attacking you Lags. You know that. But the schedule, player rotation, etc., all are important maturation points. Anyway, I've said enough. I respect your point.

3rd string FB started the game. Jr. QB getting his first start. Various changes on the O-line. 5 turnovers inside the 30 yard line. A pick 6. A punt return to the 2 yd line. An INT returned for a TD, called back due to penalty. I am probably missing something else. Various second teamers thrown in during the 2nd quarter. I'm not sure what else Todd could have done in the first half, outside of taking a knee. I feel like that would have been more humiliating than playing the game. And, FH went to the passing game late in the first half. Was Todd supposed to keep calling running plays? Someone once told me that when the great Woody Hayes was asked why he went for 2 after that last TD, he replied: "because I couldn't go for 3."

All I can say about the dropping of FH and/or Alco is that if Chestnut Ridge expects to compete for a PA championship, which I assume is a coach's ultimate goal, they will need to at least be competitive with teams on their schedule, regardless if they are from MD, PA, WV, or Canada.

Reactions: zoriolus
=\
3rd string FB started the game. Jr. QB getting his first start. Various changes on the O-line. 5 turnovers inside the 30 yard line. A pick 6. A punt return to the 2 yd line. An INT returned for a TD, called back due to penalty. I am probably missing something else. Various second teamers thrown in during the 2nd quarter. I'm not sure what else Todd could have done in the first half, outside of taking a knee. I feel like that would have been more humiliating than playing the game. And, FH went to the passing game late in the first half. Was Todd supposed to keep calling running plays? Someone once told me that when the great Woody Hayes was asked why he went for 2 after that last TD, he replied: "because I couldn't go for 3."

All I can say about the dropping of FH and/or Alco is that if Chestnut Ridge expects to compete for a PA championship, which I assume is a coach's ultimate goal, they will need to at least be competitive with teams on their schedule, regardless if they are from MD, PA, WV, or Canada.
Please don't paper hang the issue. Apparently Appel found some bodies to play the second half who didn't score. The crap about the quarterback and fullback we already understand how all that came about. Honestly, I think it is time to end homecoming. It has been a generation since the schools were of equal size and had an equal talent pool. In the future - because of running up the score - FH will have to face more 3A and 4A schools. Why would Allegany want to be a 50 pt patsy for FH to Feel good about themselves. That is as long as God give FH a Johnson or a Brown.

Any coach worth a damn would tell you you get whatever you can in the first half. CR's roster is full of freshman and sophs. Or is it more that Allegany didn't win that easily and perhaps Homecoming may be a bit closer than you like?

Boonsboro beat Brunswick 63-14. Did Boonsboro run up the score?
Cambridge beat Seaford, DE 63-0 Did Cambridge run up the score?
Seneca Valley beat Churchill 50-0 Did SV run up the score?
Queen Anne's beat Washington 70-0 Did Queen Anne's run up the score?

That's a little dramatic for me Lag. We just have to disagree. I refuse to dig up scores from past Allegany seasons and point fingers. This is my last post as we both know how each feel on the conversation.

Last edited:
I agree with most of what you say, Lag, but - 1) A team needs to gel, especially when finding its identity. 2) After Alco calls timeout to kick a field goal the week prior with the game all but over, I wouldn't expect to hear this from an Alco supporter.

YOU CANNOT RUN UP THE SCORE IN THE FIRST HALF.

Trimble even scored his 1st TD in the 2nd qtr. There were subs in the game at that point. If anyone believes you should put a senior in the game who has never scored and tell him to take a knee you are a complete buffoon..

Reactions: hbpass2
That's a little dramatic for me Lag. We just have to disagree. I refuse to dig up scores from past Allegany seasons and point fingers. This is my last post as we both know how each feel on the conversation.

A few years back, with legendary coach Jim Refosco in town to watch, Preaskorn hung 70 plus points on a group of barnstorming Canadians who were only in America to tour Washington DC and for an added cultural experience decided to play a football game while in the area. That was trashy.

Yes. I was overtly dramatic. Had a bad weekend and watching a Cornflagration by Allegany didn't help. I do want to say that I posted a negative comment about Alco's fieldgoal at the end of the CR game. It is something I have hated over the years having been personally involved in youth sports. I have seen coaches keep kids on the bench while the starters literally beat the shit out of another team. My reaction is visceral and I just can't control it. I think Corn runs up the score when he can. Believe me, I hate that too.

To me, FH is the gold standard. I expect them to be different. That is just how it is.

A few years back, with legendary coach Jim Refosco in town to watch, Preaskorn hung 70 plus points on a group of barnstorming Canadians who were only in America to tour Washington DC and for an added cultural experience decided to play a football game while in the area. That was trashy.

Yes it was. Who in the hell would defend Corn?

I agree with most of what you say, Lag, but - 1) A team needs to gel, especially when finding its identity. 2) After Alco calls timeout to kick a field goal the week prior with the game all but over, I wouldn't expect to hear this from an Alco supporter.

I guess you don't follow my posts much and how I disdain Corn choices. The fieldgoal was pathetic regardless of the reasons.

Sherando-Jefferson game should be a good one this weekend. Both teams undefeated.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT