ADVERTISEMENT

Final Woodgrove 35, Sherando 21 - - HamSpear on suicide watch

That's correct.

He was on the VA board talking smack like he was here... Proverbial foot in the mouth - again... LOL...

Last edited:
I was pulling for Sherando to go deep or even win. Looks better on FHs resumé.

Why? Because Fort Hill beat them?
no because they were the favorite going into the year and had the most talent, according to most Allegany posters...which is why they apparently blame corn for the loss and not the players I thought everybody agreed they were the better team and should have had a better year, and they didn't, so isn't that what overrated is?

Reactions: towpath94
Yes, any team that ever loses to a) Fort Hill or a b) a game following a loss to FH is overrated. Because upsets dont happen. Because being the higher seed always means you should win. Underdogs do not exist.

In order to be an underdog, means you have no chance to win. But if you win, that means the team you played was really just overrated.

To a degree, I agree that Sherando was overrated. Keep in mind I'm a FH fan, but being 'objective', and with some knowledge of VA football (mostly 6A not 4A) they did not meet many people's expectation. First, they played a weak schedule (not their fault). Preseason I predicted FH would be their biggest test, but I also predicted Sherando would win. When Hamspear got on here talking up their schedule and set expectations right out of the shoot about Louisa County, I knew he was blowing smoke... Martinsburg is way down this year, and they barely got by a 5-5 James Wood in the final seconds.

The Rivers kid is good, no question, but I'm not convinced he's a Div-1 prospect. But, I only saw one game, so I trust all the offers he has on the table. I wish him success. He'll be back next yr, and will be a force to recon with.

I think if Coach Hall was asked if this year met his expectations he would say 'No', but just my opinion. Class 4-A has a hand full of very good teams, so I'm not surprised they were eliminated in their first round. The team that beat them last Friday I've seen their coach in Fairfax County 6A for many years, and he's good.

Having seen only that one game with Rivers, I too questioned exactly where he would fit in Div 1. But, I only saw Jarrod Harper play in one game as a Ridge senior against Fort Hill, and if I had based my thoughts on that one game, I'd have been eating crow - as he seems to be doing all right at WV. But he was a non-factor in that 41-0 beat down. Was Jarrod Harper overrated?

I understand that some of us, having really no info on Sherando other than the Martinsburg win and hearing Hampsear tell us how amazing the Warriors were, may have some inflated ideas on Sherando. But I don't think anyone thought they were the next Good Counsel or Bosco Prep.

The bottom line is they are a 10-1 4A school in a tough VA classification. And FH had to play one of their best defensive and offensive halves of football I've seen in a long time to win that game. Were they overrated from the standpoint of a 4A VA deep playoff threat? Maybe. Were they overrated as an easy opponent to be on a 1A schedule? Not at all.

I think they lived up to the hype from Fort Hill's standpoint, as they were a formidable big school opponent.

Reactions: Waggle Pass
Having seen only that one game with Rivers, I too questioned exactly where he would fit in Div 1. But, I only saw Jarrod Harper play in one game as a Ridge senior against Fort Hill, and if I had based my thoughts on that one game, I'd have been eating crow - as he seems to be doing all right at WV. But he was a non-factor in that 41-0 beat down. Was Jarrod Harper overrated?

I understand that some of us, having really no info on Sherando other than the Martinsburg win and hearing Hampsear tell us how amazing the Warriors were, may have some inflated ideas on Sherando. But I don't think anyone thought they were the next Good Counsel or Bosco Prep.

The bottom line is they are a 10-1 4A school in a tough VA classification. And FH had to play one of their best defensive and offensive halves of football I've seen in a long time to win that game. Were they overrated from the standpoint of a 4A VA deep playoff threat? Maybe. Were they overrated as an easy opponent to be on a 1A schedule? Not at all.

I think they lived up to the hype from Fort Hill's standpoint, as they were a formidable big school opponent.

I agree on all points. What I was trying to say, and not very well, is not so much that they were "overrated", but they didn't live up to expectation. As I stated, and you echoed, 4A in VA is pretty competitive, and Sherando lived in the #3 slot for a month or more, so they were doing something right. Hind sight always 20/20...

I've been fooled A LOT with kids I thought weren't at the D-1 level. My son sent one of Russ Grimm's (Redskins) boys on to VT, as a walk-on, and he finished as a All-American his Sr yr, then went on to play (start) in the NFL. So, that goes to show what I don't know, and my son reminds me of that LOL...

To your point about the FH turn around at the half, that was classic! Tremendous adjustment by the coaches & the kids executed flawlessly. That had to happen to beat Sherando. Personally, I think FH's schedule was tougher this yr than Sherando's, but, again, my opinion. It'll be fun to watch this match up next yr.

Happy Thanksgiving!

One other point I'll throw out is FH would be considered 3A in VA. There are some really small schools, especially in the South Central / South Western part of the state.

Last edited:
The VHSL notified Sherando that FH would be classified as a Virginia 2A school after I handed them the exact enrollment numbers.

On a seperate note...recruiting is such a mind-boggling concept. I consistently see the best players get overlooked and the worst players getting all the hype on too many occasions at every university big and small. Much of it has to do with upside (height, speed, etc.) as opposed to what type of numbers and highlights a player puts up in high school. It's also about who knows who, what college coaches are connected with what high school coaches much like these post-season all-star games and how they operate picking players. It has to be the most imperfect sports situation I have ever seen. I've seen certain high school teams that will remain anonymous put 7-8 kids into D1 scholarships when teams that pound on them put nobody into D1 programs.

Reactions: sentinel-nurse
The VHSL notified Sherando that FH would be classified as a Virginia 2A school after I handed them the exact enrollment numbers.

On a seperate note...recruiting is such a mind-boggling concept. I consistently see the best players get overlooked and the worst players getting all the hype on too many occasions at every university big and small. Much of it has to do with upside (height, speed, etc.) as opposed to what type of numbers and highlights a player puts up in high school. It's also about who knows who, what college coaches are connected with what high school coaches much like these post-season all-star games and how they operate picking players. It has to be the most imperfect sports situation I have ever seen. I've seen certain high school teams that will remain anonymous put 7-8 kids into D1 scholarships when teams that pound on them put nobody into D1 programs.

Thought I saw 3A, but that was a month ago, so I'll trust your 2A. That seems more accurate anyway.

Totally agree on the recruiting... I'd say over the past 10 yrs I've seen 10 Div-1 scholarships come out of my son's team, and went to VT, Temple, Tulsa, others. A lot of kids get scholarships out of NOVA. I've always said, after seeing scholarship players from MD/DC/VA metro area, and others from within VA that WMD is often overlooked. I've seen that for 20+ yrs. Could be the coach not promoting them, grades, personal issue, focus on "upside", as you said. Who knows. In the off-season my son spends the majority of his time talking to recruiters, including Bud Foster, and many others at various divisions. I can't imagine how much time & effort goes in to promote one player. It's rare when you get a Jonathan Allen, who's been starting a a soph as DT for Alabama. He was a lock as a freshman at Stone Bridge HS. He stands on his own merit and little promotion required.

Todd - As an equivalentl VA 2A, you might want to put Clarke County on your radar. They are 2A located in Berryville, VA (10 miles east of Winchester). They have a quality program. Just a thought...

FH thought they had a good thing starting with easing into that PA league with Chestnut Ridge, Central, Clearfield up north..etc...and really only Chestnut Ridge has done a good job of being a consistent schedule spot. Maybe they can turn their sites southward and look into that 2A/3A market in VA.

Like I've said before and we all agree, Fort Hill's success recently is only going to make scheduling even harder.

I think you may see chestnut ridge back on the schedule at some point. Their just going trough a really low point right now and wouldn't be able to compete with fort hill. Give them 3 or 4 years and you may see them again.

Yes, any team that ever loses to a) Fort Hill or a b) a game following a loss to FH is overrated. Because upsets dont happen. Because being the higher seed always means you should win. Underdogs do not exist.

In order to be an underdog, means you have no chance to win. But if you win, that means the team you played was really just overrated.

You guys talk up every team right before the game, lol - this year somebody said South Hagerstown was "big and tough", earlier in the year before Avalon (a small private school that was going to be an easy win) was dropped you talked them up (yeah I know they have one really good player), last season you talked about Capitol Christian like they were the Green Bay Packers. This year it was Sherando.

last season you talked about Capitol Christian like they were the Green Bay Packers. This year it was Sherando.

Whats with the euphemisms and generalities, Sid? I cant think of one person (of average to low average intelligence) who thought Capitol Christian was going to be on a level with the best teams in any classification. One person maybe made a reference that they might be good and suddenly you've lumped that into we ALL thought they were the Green Bay packers? What kind of troll logic do you subscribe to?

Sherando was a really good team. But Fort Hill beat them on a comeback and they didn't win the 4A VA title...thus they really just sucked in your warped version of hating. It's so funny to listen to you discuss football as if you are some guru. You honestly put CC on the same level as Sherando? C'mon man, you're slipping. Barely even fun to trade wits with you anymore.

Whats with the euphemisms and generalities, Sid? I cant think of one person (of average to low average intelligence) who thought Capitol Christian was going to be on a level with the best teams in any classification. One person maybe made a reference that they might be good and suddenly you've lumped that into we ALL thought they were the Green Bay packers? What kind of troll logic do you subscribe to?

Sherando was a really good team. But Fort Hill beat them on a comeback and they didn't win the 4A VA title...thus they really just sucked in your warped version of hating. It's so funny to listen to you discuss football as if you are some guru. You honestly put CC on the same level as Sherando? C'mon man, you're slipping. Barely even fun to trade wits with you anymore.

Looking back on the regular season, IMHO, Sherando was the best team on FH's schedule. As previously stated, with Hamspear's provocative comments coming 6 weeks prior to playing Sherando, all you had to do is look at their schedule and know he was blowing smoke, but you had to have some knowledge of VA 4A football. He was making those claims assuming no one on the MD board knew anything about VA 4A. Heck, I bet you could count on one hand anyone on this board who even knows where Louisa County is... I remember challenging him on his claim of strength of their schedule, which, of coarse he came back as if I didn't know what I was talking about... I admit, sometimes I don't, but this time I did. Go on MAXPREPS and look at the records of their competition.

Like I said, Sherando is a very good 4A team. They beat a very good 5A team too. I have nothing but respect for Sherando. I was worried the first half of the FH/Sherando game, and I think anyone who would say otherwise is a liar. It couldn't have turned out better, as FH did everything right to turn that game around and walk out of there with a win! I still say it's on my top-5 list of best games I've seen in 10 yrs.

FH could make a living for quite awhile playing VA teams. There are some quality programs scattered throughout nearby VA, but you have to do your homework. Teams in VA closest to Cumberland don't get any bigger than 4A, and some are 2A - 3A. Once you get into Loudoun County (Leesburg, near & around Dulles area) they go to 5A. Next county east is Fairfax, and that's where the big dogs live (6A). FH could certainly compete and beat some 5A & 6A teams, but the higher echelon teams you want to stay away from. I think it would be fun to see how FH would match up, but you're looking at some programs with 200 kids - seriously. Some varsity teams have to repeat jersey numbers they have so many.

In a self serving way I hope FH does get some time in VA against some quality teams.

Looking back on the regular season, IMHO, Sherando was the best team on FH's schedule. As previously stated, with Hamspear's provocative comments coming 6 weeks prior to playing Sherando, all you had to do is look at their schedule and know he was blowing smoke, but you had to have some knowledge of VA 4A football. He was making those claims assuming no one on the MD board knew anything about VA 4A. Heck, I bet you could count on one hand anyone on this board who even knows where Louisa County is... I remember challenging him on his claim of strength of their schedule, which, of coarse he came back as if I didn't know what I was talking about... I admit, sometimes I don't, but this time I did. Go on MAXPREPS and look at the records of their competition.

Like I said, Sherando is a very good 4A team. They beat a very good 5A team too. I have nothing but respect for Sherando. I was worried the first half of the FH/Sherando game, and I think anyone who would say otherwise is a liar. It couldn't have turned out better, as FH did everything right to turn that game around and walk out of there with a win! I still say it's on my top-5 list of best games I've seen in 10 yrs.

FH could make a living for quite awhile playing VA teams. There are some quality programs scattered throughout nearby VA, but you have to do your homework. Teams in VA closest to Cumberland don't get any bigger than 4A, and some are 2A - 3A. Once you get into Loudoun County (Leesburg, near & around Dulles area) they go to 5A. Next county east is Fairfax, and that's where the big dogs live (6A). FH could certainly compete and beat some 5A & 6A teams, but the higher echelon teams you want to stay away from. I think it would be fun to see how FH would match up, but you're looking at some programs with 200 kids - seriously. Some varsity teams have to repeat jersey numbers they have so many.

In a self serving way I hope FH does get some time in VA against some quality teams.
Sherando has been down since 2013, not the caliber of team that they usually have. they are consistently a better than average team , but not like they have usually had. I was at the Fort Hill game, your team made nice adjustments at the half to win it, Sherando didn't. Good luck in your championship quest.

Reactions: sentinel-nurse
Sherando has been down since 2013, not the caliber of team that they usually have. they are consistently a better than average team , but not like they have usually had. I was at the Fort Hill game, your team made nice adjustments at the half to win it, Sherando didn't. Good luck in your championship quest.

I would certainly give Sherando more credit than "been down since 2013", and it's not to prop up FH either... How is a 13-2 (2013), 9-3 (2014), and 9-2 (2015) be considered "down"? The Warriors had a great season this year riding the #4 & #3 ranking in VA 4A until their loss to Woodgrove where they currently are setting at #10.

You guys talk up every team right before the game, lol - this year somebody said South Hagerstown was "big and tough", earlier in the year before Avalon (a small private school that was going to be an easy win) was dropped you talked them up (yeah I know they have one really good player), last season you talked about Capitol Christian like they were the Green Bay Packers. This year it was Sherando.
I guess SHHS doesn't get credit from you for playing arguably the toughest schedule in any Western Region, maybe even the toughest schedule for any 3A school in the state. Their schedule consisted of at least 5 playoff teams from last year that I count, including the two time defending 1A state champ, powerhouse Urbana and Linganore. SHHS went 6-4. I am sure you will respond that Urbana had a down year but SHHS could not predict that going in.

Allegany played FH impressively two times this year but Alco would not have made the playoffs if they played SHHS's schedule, where FH would still have made the playoffs rather easily, maybe losing to Linganore.

Allegany was a far better team this year than most FH people expected. They played with heart and the guys up front were tough kids. However, Alco would not have scored a point against Sherando after having seen both teams against the common opponent FH. So to bash FH's schedule has become nonsense. This comes from a pro-Martinsburg-FH game guy who thinks FH can compete with them most years and realizing the money lost from the big gates has to hurt; however, the schedule makers are correctly playing by the conditions created by the current system, throwing in a few quality opponents here and there to challenge FH.

I guess SHHS doesn't get credit from you for playing arguably the toughest schedule in any Western Region, maybe even the toughest schedule for any 3A school in the state. Their schedule consisted of at least 5 playoff teams from last year that I count, including the two time defending 1A state champ, powerhouse Urbana and Linganore. SHHS went 6-4. I am sure you will respond that Urbana had a down year but SHHS could not predict that going in.

Allegany played FH impressively two times this year but Alco would not have made the playoffs if they played SHHS's schedule, where FH would still have made the playoffs rather easily, maybe losing to Linganore.

Allegany was a far better team this year than most FH people expected. They played with heart and the guys up front were tough kids. However, Alco would not have scored a point against Sherando after having seen both teams against the common opponent FH. So to bash FH's schedule has become nonsense. This comes from a pro-Martinsburg-FH game guy who thinks FH can compete with them most years and realizing the money lost from the big gates has to hurt; however, the schedule makers are correctly playing by the conditions created by the current system, throwing in a few quality opponents here and there to challenge FH.

I'm a FH person and I truly expected this to be Alco's year! After the quad city, I expected FH to have at least 4 losses. One of the teams in the quad scored on FH EVERY PLAY. Meanwhile I had a group of Alco kids sitting behind me talking about what they expected to do the FH this year. So personally, my outlook for the season wasn't well.

I'm highly surprised, and impressed with the turn around from day 1

I'm a FH person and I truly expected this to be Alco's year! After the quad city, I expected FH to have at least 4 losses. One of the teams in the quad scored on FH EVERY PLAY. Meanwhile I had a group of Alco kids sitting behind me talking about what they expected to do the FH this year. So personally, my outlook for the season wasn't well.

I'm highly surprised, and impressed with the turn around from day 1
trust in todd have some pizza......

Reactions: Waggle Pass
If I were a stranger and went to the FH/Sherando game just to observe, the last thing on my mind at the end of the game would be that either team was overrated, instead it would be, " that's was one of the best games I've seen in years", just saying....

I would love a way to be able to watch that game. I was unable to make the trip... Anyone know of a way?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT