ADVERTISEMENT

Final State Poll released

FHHSAHS

Hall of Fame Poster
Nov 27, 2001
Maryland High School Football Media State Poll

FREDERICK -- The Maryland High School Football State Poll, in its 25th year, is based on a statewide voting by sports reporters. Schools are ranked by points received. The number in parenthesis reflects first-place votes. LW is last week's ranking. The rankings are compiled by Sheldon Shealer.

Rank, School, Record, Points, LW

1. Douglass-PG (6), 14-0, 286, 4
2. Northwest (5), 13-1, 272, 10
3. McDonogh (1), 7-3, 271, 5
4. Gilman, 8-3, 260, 6
5. Franklin, 13-1, 256, 11
6. DeMatha, 9-3, 254, 7
7. Good Counsel, 10-2, 232, 2
8. Damascus, 13-1, 222, 3
9. Linganore, 11-1, 204, 1
10. Quince Orchard, 10-2, 183, 9
11. Fort Hill, 14-0, 176, 14
12. Mount St. Joseph, 8-3, 156, 16
13. Archbishop Curley, 10-0, 154, 15
14. Bullis, 9-1, 144, 13
15. Old Mill, 11-3, 142, NR
16. Broadneck, 10-1, 122, 8
17. Howard, 12-1, 110, 20
18. Calvert Hall, 7-4, 96, 24
19. St. Mary's Ryken, 7-2, 90, 17
20. Arundel, 10-2, 79, 19
21. Thomas Stone, 11-2, 49, NR
22. North Point, 9-2, 43, 25
23. Potomac, 10-2, 26, 21
24. Bel Air, 10-2, 18, NR
25. Urbana, 8-3, 12, 18

Others Receiving Votes: DuVal (9-4, 9 points), St. Frances (5-6, 9), Eleanor Roosevelt (10-1, 8), Glenelg (9-4, 4), Seneca Valley (8-2, 4), Milford Mill (10-2, 3), Wise (8-3, 3), Clarksburg (7-4, 2), South Carroll (9-4, 1)

Wow, Douglas got the #1 spot without playing a single 4A team! Not taking anything away from them because they are very good but how many times do we hear on this board that we need to play larger teams.

I'm happy with FH being #11

Ditto.

I was thinking between 12 to 15.

Happy for the Douglass-PG folks. Last time they played FH had a chance to talk with the head coach and one of the assistants. First class guys. They loved coming here. Hopefully we can match up with them again down the road.

This post was edited on 12/9 11:37 PM by Waggle Pass

Also remember Douglass was the team that made a very nice presentation before the game to Mike O'Kelly after his accident. A very thoughtful and classy act.

Just for discussion sake........who in the top 10 ahead of Fort Hill do you think they could beat??

Who behind them #12-20 do you think would beat FH?

I think FH could legitimately have a shot at beating Linganore or Damascus this year. I honestly haven't seen any of the others play in the top 10.

Originally posted by FHHSAHS:
I think FH could legitimately have a shot at beating Linganore or Damascus this year. I honestly haven't seen any of the others play in the top 10.
I've got no problem with how the poll shook out. McDonogh and DeMatha are #1 and #2 if they don't lose games they should have won (McDonogh to St. Frances and DeMatha to Good Counsel). McDonogh's other 2 losses were to Saint Joe's Regional (NJ) and LaSalle College Prep (PA). DeMatha's other 2 losses were to Archbishop Wood (PA) and LaSalle. McDonogh had the only notable OOS win for MD this year when they beat nationally-ranked (at the time) Elder (OH) in front of 10,000+ in Cincinnati. When both private school champions have an in-state loss go ahead and put 1 of the MPSSAA champs up there.

I do think FH and Douglass-PG would be a much better game than Dunbar and Douglass-PG was. I said on the Sun board that both FH and Douglass-PG would win by 28 and I proved to be too conservative.

I think Douglass-PG benefitted because a couple of their opponents that usually have good teams were down this year (Gwynn Park, Westlake), and also because of the margins of their victories - their closest game was 21 points. They also had a quality win over a Patuxent squad that has been ranked in the Top 20 this year.

The problem Fort Hill would have run into against Linganore is the lack of players only playing one side of the ball. Linganore only had 1 or 2 players going both ways and I cant tell you how many times this year teams kept it close in the first half only to get worn down in second half and get run over. It happened against Damascus, just unfortunately, we had dug too big of a hole to get out of. Not saying Fort Hill couldnt win the game, just saying that would be their biggest obstacle in my opinion.

Lancer, that's one of the reasons I think that FH would do a little better this year, as they did have the ability to bring in fresh linemen on the DL (not as much as last year, but still some). They subbed in about 5 or 6 players on defense. Plus one of FH's tackles was the QB, which in this case, he didn't scramble or run alot so he was usually pretty fresh. ;)

You're right though, most years, as conditioned as FH athletes are, the Ironman is going to get worn down when facing fresh players on each side of the ball. And Linganore would just pull away.

I personally dont think you guys give yourself enough credit for who you can and cant compete with out there. At the Penn State-MD game I was talking to a Fort Hill fan about high school football as I walked out and he asked where I went and when I told him he said, "oh wow, you guys are on a different level than we are." I think more often than not, Fort Hill would put up a pretty good fight against not only Linganore, but a lot of the other larger schools in the MVAL and other counties. Just because you have a smaller enrollment doesnt mean you dont have the talent!

Originally posted by LHSlancerFAN:

I personally dont think you guys give yourself enough credit for who you can and cant compete with out there. At the Penn State-MD game I was talking to a Fort Hill fan about high school football as I walked out and he asked where I went and when I told him he said, "oh wow, you guys are on a different level than we are." I think more often than not, Fort Hill would put up a pretty good fight against not only Linganore, but a lot of the other larger schools in the MVAL and other counties. Just because you have a smaller enrollment doesnt mean you dont have the talent!
I don't disagree with you. Especially over the last couple years where FH has been deep in talent and can play more subs. That's more of an anomaly than the norm though.

I do think FH would be competitive with pretty much any public school in 3A on down. And with some higher ranked 4A schools. And maybe even a couple good privates. They would be very hard earned wins, if they did win.

But the issue is, as Helmick has stated, you have to be careful not to schedule yourself out of the playoffs. There is no doubt in my mind that FH will usually be one of the best if not usually the best school in 1A. And while the titles have just now started coming in, since 2005 when FH went to 1A, Alco and Dunbar have been the only teams to prevent FH from winning save for one year. With Dunbar gone, and Alco currently rebuilding...FH is in the driver's seat.

However, playing a schedule of schools that are potential losses paves the way for other 1A schools to either push them out of the regional ranks with more points...OR to prevent FH from having homefield through the playoffs. Both are crucial. Maybe it wouldn't have mattered over the last two years...but I'd much rather play all those games at home than have to travel to Cambridge or PG County a week before having to go back to Baltimore. That's a big deal.

So while a 7-3 FH that loses to, say, MSJ, TJ, and Martinsburg is probably going to still be better than most other 1A schools...why risk missing the playoffs or screwing yourself out of home field? When really, defeating 4A schools isn't going to set you up any better than the schedule they played this year?

Could FH compete with 3A and 4A schools? Yes. Do they need to? Not really.

If the playoff system changes, you might see that philosophy change too.

Originally posted by LHSlancerFAN:

I don't disagree with you. Especially over the last couple years where FH has been deep in talent and can play more subs. That's more of an anomaly than the norm though.

I do think FH would be competitive with pretty much any public school in 3A on down. And with some higher ranked 4A schools. And maybe even a couple good privates. They would be very hard earned wins, if they did win.

But the issue is, as Helmick has stated, you have to be careful not to schedule yourself out of the playoffs. There is no doubt in my mind that FH will usually be one of the best if not usually the best school in 1A. And while the titles have just now started coming in, since 2005 when FH went to 1A, Alco and Dunbar have been the only teams to prevent FH from winning save for one year. With Dunbar gone, and Alco currently rebuilding...FH is in the driver's seat.

However, playing a schedule of schools that are potential losses paves the way for other 1A schools to either push them out of the regional ranks with more points...OR to prevent FH from having homefield through the playoffs. Both are crucial. Maybe it wouldn't have mattered over the last two years...but I'd much rather play all those games at home than have to travel to Cambridge or PG County a week before having to go back to Baltimore. That's a big deal.

So while a 7-3 FH that loses to, say, MSJ, TJ, and Martinsburg is probably going to still be better than most other 1A schools...why risk missing the playoffs or screwing yourself out of home field? When really, defeating 4A schools isn't going to set you up any better than the schedule they played this year?

Could FH compete with 3A and 4A schools? Yes. Do they need to? Not really.

If the playoff system changes, you might see that philosophy change too.
Absolutely agree with you 100%! Unfortunately, our current playoff system forces you to schedule for the playoffs and until something changes, you wont see some of the better small schools playing the better larger schools and thats a shame. Or maybe you guys need to just combine Allegany and Fort Hill and move on up a class or 2
3dgrin.r191677.gif
I am bound and determined to one day see my Lancers on the turf at Greenway, one way or another, LOL!!

I do believe Alco and FH will be one School in the future.. I hope I live to see the day...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT