ADVERTISEMENT

FINAL JV SCORE: Fort Hill 47 Alco 0

BrianH1974

Blue Chip Poster
May 2, 2005
#24 for FH gonna be a real good one. Fast and elusive. Eerily reminds me of #24 a few years back named Johnson. I think FH combined 9th and 10th graders for this one. Had like 56 kids dressed. Great numbers.

Last edited:
this could possible be what those thinking fh is gonna be really tough the next couple years were talking about.
Yea, these overly dominating Patriot teams are going to start rolling through and FH will be blessed with multiple speed athletes again.

The 8th - 10th graders are talented and full of athletes. I think those teams will be the best FH teams they have had in a long time and I am not exaggerating.

Reactions: camper21502
I agree and I think these kids coming up may win several State Championships...
there's a big, huge element that nobody is talking about. the rumor mill has had this is appel's last year. you know what you got with him, but you don't know what you got without him....see jim chaney or dick bittner, and even barry to a lesser extent...those good old days need to buried and never ever repeated again. it doesn't matter how much talent you have if you don't have a good coach...see fh basketball for the last decade.

Talent aside..... when you have one school with almost twice the numbers on a JV team - and that school has a freshman team that the other does not have - in a football town with two high schools splitting the city, there is a problem. Glee for one side of the city, but a future rivalry to die along with a future of not being able to play football for youths who want to.

Let everyone not forget Allegany has I believe 7 sophmore's on the varsity team. The sophomore group at Allegany is very talented. Only 4 sophomores that were on the team last year started last night. Only one was a starter, one was out injured and the other 2 didn't play much.

Let everyone not forget Allegany has I believe 7 sophmore's on the varsity team. The sophomore group at Allegany is very talented. Only 4 sophomores that were on the team last year started last night. Only one was a starter, one was out injured and the other 2 didn't play much.

True and I think most FH folks know this. That had to happen when there are only 18 kids on varsity. Alco had no other choice. Otherwise how could Alco even practice against 11 guys? I told everyone last winter the upcoming Alco numbers crunch was going to be severe. There are like eight kids on the Braddock team that are 8th graders much the same as last year. Not saying Alco will drop football - although maybe JV, but they will be in a Northern Garrett type of numbers pinch big time in the next 3-5 years. It's going to be very difficult.

True and I think most FH folks know this. That had to happen when there are only 18 kids on varsity. Alco had no other choice. Otherwise how could Alco even practice against 11 guys? I told everyone last winter the upcoming Alco numbers crunch was going to be severe. There are like eight kids on the Braddock team that are 8th graders much the same as last year. Not saying Alco will drop football - although maybe JV, but they will be in a Northern Garrett type of numbers pinch big time in the next 3-5 years. It's going to be very difficult.

All this while too many FH players will see most of the football field from the bench. Hopefully, a beautiful new high tech school and playing time will prevent the collapse of Camper football. But never under estimate the importance of making the team versus playing the game as seen by both parents and students.

I saw this in metro baseball. Parents paying many hundreds of dollars to get their kid on an elite team and the kid never got in but a few games. What is the goal? .... Frame the team picture for the kids bedroom? Bragging rights at the neighborhood watering hole for the parent?

When the group of 8th and 9th graders get to Varsity, FH will be Dunbar caliber, they are that good.

When the group of 8th and 9th graders get to Varsity, FH will be Dunbar caliber, they are that good.

I'm not disputing the players are good, but to be realistic, there are 7th, 8th, and 9th grade football players all over the state running over their competition. Are you talking about the same kids on the Terps travel team at the end of year?

Reactions: cumbfanatic
Alco 65, have you watched them play? There are so many athletes, lots of speed and ability. Go watch the Patriots D1 play Warriors D1. There is a kid on the Patriots that may score everytime he touches the ball. Boyznblue, I agree with you, but I can really see these kids developing. Hopefully some come to Alco lol. Yes, they same kids on the Terps travel team. Do you guys know anyone in this area that was as good as Mikey Allen at that age?

Last edited:
Reactions: camper21502
Alco 65, have you watched them play? There are so many athletes, lots of speed and ability. Go watch the Patriots D1 play Warriors D1. There is a kid on the Patriots that may score everytime he touches the ball. Boyznblue, I agree with you, but I can really see these kids developing. Hopefully some come to Alco lol. Yes, they same kids on the Terps travel team. Do you guys know anyone in this area that was as good as Mikey Allen at that age?

Brand new high school and guaranteed playing time....

Mikey will be a beast.. I have no doubt them kids coming up will run through Dunbar... The thing that makes these kids coming up special is how well they play together and that's only going to improve. FH will have some talented kids on those teams that wont see much playing time and im hoping we can get some of those kids lol..

Last edited:

Mikey is a phenomenal player and his future is very bright. He plays three sports at a very high level and he's a great kid on top of that. I don't disagree with you about with the talent on the Patriots. But always I'm kind of careful about anointing young athletes too early because it can create unfair expectations and also because so many things can happen in three years.

And like I was saying earlier, you can attend any 12U or 13U youth league football game in Moco, PG, SoMd (basically all over the state) and you will see athletes who are dominating on both sides of the ball. Last year the Wise varsity had a freshman RB/WR make significant contributions. This year their back-up QB is a freshman who will see action this year and could easily step in if the senior starter goes down. There's a lot of talent around the state. The Patriots running over Keyser and Braddock doesn't mean they can win a 1A title 3 or 4 years from now.

Last edited:
I have to agree with Boyz on this one. A lot of times in the youth leagues a kid may mature early and he then dominates the area. However, once in high school the other kids catch up to him physically, sometimes surpass him with the result being that by the time he is a senior, he's not even heard of.

I enjoy the youth leagues but I take any success a kid or team has with a grain of salt.

I have to agree with Boyz on this one. A lot of times in the youth leagues a kid may mature early and he then dominates the area. However, once in high school the other kids catch up to him physically, sometimes surpass him with the result being that by the time he is a senior, he's not even heard of.

I enjoy the youth leagues but I take any success a kid or team has with a grain of salt.

Except of course if they are Mark Manges or Steve Trimble - both Patriot products.

I agree with you. I've seen kids develop early be the biggest kid in middle school, then stop growing at that point. In highschool they are the same size, but now the smallest kid. I agree with you guys 100 percent. There are quite a few kids in this group with Natural Abilities and speed. We will have to wait and see lol.

That might work inn some cases, but you know the old saying. Mama's baby, Daddy's...…………….maybe!

Sorry, I had to go there!

Reactions: mountainear
Most of the kids that I have seen dominate at the youth level usually turn out to be really good HS players..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT