ADVERTISEMENT

FH/ Predictions anyone?

wvuguy43

Junior Varsity Reader
Aug 26, 2016
Whats everyones prediction for tonights game. Basically the 2nd real test of the year, if you count Keyser being the first.

FH 37
South 15

South has 6 underclassmen starting of offense. Three of them are sophomores including the QB and one of the RBs. They run a 5-2 defense with 2 deep safeties. Not the defense I would want against a FB based wing T but that's what they run. I suspect Coach Peer at South is building something. As he says, this is a young Rebel team that is going to be a tough haul down the road for any opponent.

Also South has really cool helmets. Love the Maryland theme down the stripe.

I'm just looking for a good game for a change, but not too good of a game, lol. I'll go with Fort Hill 42-13.

FH 48
SH 12

FH leads 20-12 at the half, pulls away in 2nd half. Starters play 4 quarters - finally!

FH will win 42 - 21. That is my conservative approach. FH should be able to dominate upfront but I expect SHHS should be able to pull off a few big plays just like last year, except they will be in the passing game, not the running game. I just don't see SHHS breaking the big hitter runs like last year where three of their four scores came from 70 plus runs.

Horrible clock management at the end of the half. Waited 13 seconds then burned a timeout near midfield. I don't criticize much but where is the booth on that one to call down and use a timeout immediately after the first down so no time at all is lost when the ball is set.

Smith was ejected 2 personal fouls
FH coaches get a lot of credit, and they deserve it. Tonight, they do not have this team prepared. Overconfidence is something that can hurt you in the short term but help you in the long term...but these mistakes at this point in the season shows a complete lack of preparation and discipline...very sad. If somebody isn't ready replace them, if FH is so deep how would it hurt?

These penalties ARE ridiculous! We're FH... we should be taking the high ground against these Trumps!

announcers are blaming the penalties on starters having to play the whole game...really...what was the exuse in the first and second quarter?
now they are blaming the penalties on the refs...is it ever just the players fault? Please FH fans, don't jump on the "it's the Hagerstown refs" bandwagon.

Last edited:
Sorry, a lot of FH mistakes but one of the worst officiated games I've ever seen
Coach Appel agrees with you completely.. First words out of his mouth, didn't like to talk about the refs, but he did anyway. .I'd rather he didn't sound like a sore winner who didn't win by enough. He also said he was really proud of the guys...sometimes the less said the better.

Either way, I'm not biased. Horrible officiating all around. FH better clean up in time for next week though. Not filling lanes on D and bad tackling for most of the game

FH finally plays a legit team and people always expecting perfect game blow outs. Like something is wrong.

The 2 roughing the passer calls were like huge turnovers. The first gave South a TD after an incomplete on 4th down. Bad call. The 2nd was after incomplete on 3rd down.

FH finally plays a legit team and people always expecting perfect game blow outs. Like something is wrong.

The 2 roughing the passer calls were like huge turnovers. The first gave South a TD after an incomplete on 4th down. Bad call. The 2nd was after incomplete on 3rd down.
15 or 16 penalties...yeh, something might be wrong.

The first roughing the passer was a legit call, the second, not so sure. The personal fouls after the play and unpsortsmanlike conducts, false starts and encroachments are not on the refs, that is just not being focused.

There were a lot of holdings that were ignored by the refs and some Fort Hill players tackled by blockers but good teams overcome those issues. FH almost blew this by not being focused and disciplined. This is the second game where they have had to have 15 plus penalties. The other being Keyser.

FH needed this and the starters played for four full quarters and it showed. They will sleep well tonight as they are worn out.

SHHS made the mistake in my opinion of rotating the Qbs. #13 should have been in there every play. He was a run threat and appeared to throw well at times.

Last edited:
Reactions: novaunicorn
Tonight was about the worst I've felt about the FH coaching staff in a long time. An off week for the staff?. The decisions with the clock management (awful to end the half), playing too few players (what depth?), 13 shouldn't have played to begin with (ejection was karma rearing its ugly head to the staff), the personal fouls (what happened to pulling them off the field?), the poor tackling (many of the tackles were poor technique), the decision to throw the ball inside the 10 when we didnt need to, etc. I give SH credit. I was very impressed with them for being such a young team. I hope we can keep them on the schedule. Hopefully with JV and freshmen playing them recently its a sign that we can work something out.

Radio announcers made it sound like the personal fouls were not being fairly distributed. One FH player ejected, but immediately after SH player.

No offense, but I have to laugh about the comment that "good teams overcome" adversity. So, why is it the bad officiating at Greenway is always somehow FH's fault and the reason the opposing team lost 63-0?

Reactions: Waggle Pass
With the score prediction you post and now you say legit SH team you talk out of both sides of your mouth,big improvement for you tho normally you talk out your ass on this board

Legit for FH opponents up to this point is a loose term. Let's just say the best opponent so far. But yes South was better than I thought. Score prediction way off.

Coach Appel agrees with you completely.. First words out of his mouth, didn't like to talk about the refs, but he did anyway. .I'd rather he didn't sound like a sore winner who didn't win by enough. He also said he was really proud of the guys...sometimes the less said the better.
Hey Nova was you there tonight?

I think the positives should be pointed out as well. I give props to coach Apple, going in to a game with a 3A school knowing it was not going to be a cake walk and benching a starter. Hopefully this will be a learning. Enough said on that.

The line on both sides of the ball had to fight to control the the game and came up with some great 4th down plays when it counted. Even with the penaltys they were able to move the the ball. I'm sure all of the things pointed out on here will be addressed in practice this week. But I don't think we should pick them apart over one game that they won and not mention all the things they did right or the guys that gave it there all and did their job and kept there composure. This is a game they can learn from. Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions. Hopefully they will take this and learn from as a man dose because ultimately that's why they are here.

I would say the obvious with all honesty with starting 1/2 the season with not that great of teams the coaching staff really didn't get to see what they had . I believe the coaching staff in this game seen where changes need made. I do think when you have so many kids playing both ways it showed tonight . The good thing is FH still got the win and the coaching staff seen plenty to make some adjustments . FH coaching is not afraid to change things up at any given time , they know how to win and have proved it year after year.

"Big Red #56", words well put, let's give credit where credit is due. My goodness, if I hadn't been at the game and saw the final score, came home and read some of the comments on this site, a person would think FH lost the game. Was it a good game? Yes. Was there mistakes made? Yes, by both teams. Was some of the calls questionable? Sure. Was it a learning experience for both sides? Absolutely. Is FH still a good football team? Yes. Is South Hagerstown a good football team? Yes. I understand a lot of folks take high school sports very seriously, however people seem to forget we're dealing with teenagers and youth. I'm not saying it's not okay to holler and yell at a football game, I do and the folks around me do, but seriously, some of the foolishness I heard tonight??? It was down right embarrassing! Like I've always said if you feel you're capable of doing a better job than what being done now by all means fill out an application, get on the staff and have at it. That goes the same the with officiating positions, guess what? Do they make mistakes? Bad calls? Yes! Again, make a difference, become an ump or ref, get out there and have at it! One final question? What's FH's head coach's winning percentage? I hope and pray everyone had a safe trip home, have a nice weekend!

I don't see anyone questioning the effort. There was great effort. The lines were in a dogfight and SHHS extended their defense to the sidelines and made it hard for FH's backs to find lanes. There was hard fought yardage all night and FH's strength and a few explosive plays won the night. FH's defense also woke up late in the first half and SHHS couldn't finish drives. The issue is with the penalties, especially the false starts, encroachments and personal fouls/unsportsmanlike conducts. This is an important stat line. It didn't matter much against Keyser but it directly led to the first 6 points of the game tonight.

Reactions: novaunicorn
Congratulations to FH on a hard fought win against a very good 3A Rebel team on the road. Coach Peer says FH is the best team they've played including 3A.
My opinion South is a very legit team, fought to the very end. I thought we would wear them down in the 2nd, but that wasnt the case. Exceptional group of sophomores, and QB is gonna be a player the next 2 years. I hope we can keep the series. Exciting game last night, which was about time.

A nice article in the Herald-Mail. I gave up on the CTN long ago!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT