ADVERTISEMENT

FH/Mountain Ridge

WOW
That was the worst ass beating I've seen FH take since the 49-2 to Martinsburg
I watched on NFHS, I personally have never seen FH's line manhandled at the line of scrimmage like that.
did they get 150 yards of offense?
I was expecting a bunch of speed and a big FH line to push them up and down the field.
at halftime I still thought FH was gonna comeback from 6-0 down and thought it was weird The Ridge was celebrating at half but my lord... Celebrate all night because they deserve it tonight.
I almost rode through Frostburg to see if they were having a parade afterwards.
SHOCKED!!!
Catoctin was a worse beat down than this by far

Mountain Ridge 30 - FH 8 …. Mountain Ridge was a much better team.
Not was but is. MR is better than FH. I think this FH team is missing several things, but the biggest is size on the o- and d-line. This is huge, no pun intended. They also seem to be missing a Blake White - team leader. The whole team looks lost at times. Somebody better fill this job or FH will have - at least - two losses at the end of the season.

The other key things from this (for me) are: 1) Have a damn game plan to make quick adjustments to situations, MR did; 2) Throw more screens when you're being rushed like that; 3) More short up and out passes also to loosen things up; 4) Utilize the toss sweep more and give your playmakers a better chance; 5) Spy that QB and do not let him get outside, trust the speed of your DBs and double-spy with safety on some plays. More pressure on the QB will get inside his head better. 6) Mix the pass in early. Don't wait until it's predictable; 7) Hold onto the ball; and 8) Bench a hothead for a series.

Those are my armchair coaching takeaways. Of course, I have a lotta more. Always easy from the comfort of your chair. LOL!!!

A very good, and well executed game plan from MR especially defensively. Questionable offensive game plan on the FH side. Well deserved victory for MR, they play a very good ballgame. Fort Hill looked sloppy and out of sorts, but credit MR for some of that.

The results of this game is kind of rekindling the excitement for the FH vs Alco game. Unless tonight's game was a complete fluke, the FH/Alco game should be a good one, for sure.

The New Oxford game will be a good one, too. Watching them play Gettysburg and I'm impressed. NO has size and excellent speed. They break on the ball carrier quickly with good individual tackling. Not sure the toss will work on this team. This game will be difficult for FH even if they bring their A-game. Glad I picked up NHFS for the season. Got to enjoy tonight's game and that one, as well. Still miss the play-by-play of Commercial Video, though.

Good luck, Sentinels. Take this a a reminder to bring your A-game every game. You've got talent but you're obviously not unbeatable. Got to find a way to rest speed players more. Man, this FH team needs Welsh healthy at FB.

Ok, it's late and I'm drinking and rambling.

Reactions: Tony54 and ravemwp
When FHs QB gets 200+ yards passing but they can't establish the run it's not good.

MR came ready to play and contained everything against the run. Fantastic game plan for Ridge. They outcoached FH at every level tonight. A lot of dumb penalties for FH, fumbles, strange play calls...and Ridge played a nearly flawless game.

If these teams both make it to the finals it could be a real treat in Annapolis. But tonight Ridge made a statement. The line play was all Ridge. Disappointing effort from FH, but Ridge dictated that game. You don't see that very often. Kudos to the Miners, they were impressive this evening.

From Kyle Bennett of the CT-N:

“Fort Hill outgained the Miners (395-262), whose forced turnovers set them up with short fields throughout the night. The Sentinels had 16 first downs to Mountain Ridge’s 12, and they also committed 10 penalties for 92 yards.

“Penalties, turnovers, not being able to keep our emotions, losing control of that,” Alkire said. “That’s what happens when you’re expected to win, and someone thumps you in the face.”

Yes, the sun came up and is shining in south Cumberland today. 😊

FH will only get back to where they can be if their reaction to this is grounded in team unity. 32 must be the full back, expand your offense with screens and draws, win the line of scrimmage because you can, eliminate penalties and turnovers and FH wins easy. It depends now on their reaction as a unit. That’s first. It has to be healthy. Those kids have to know who is in charge. It’s not hard. Easy fix. Some kids need to get out of their self and into the team. We will see what Alkire is made of in adversity.

I don’t know, I kept seeing ridge with 15 on the field, I guess since the extra 4 were wearing black and white no one else noticed
There was a noticeable bit of attention to holding calls against FH, but officiating was not a main factor in the result of this game. That was on execution and play selection.

I do have to say that my only gripe about the officiating was the no call on Burns getting suplexed at one point. Both sides of the crowd let out a gasp on that one. Burns got up a little slow. White hat is usually going to opt to set a precedence on those kinds of tackles.

There was a noticeable bit of attention to holding calls against FH, but officiating was not a main factor in the result of this game. That was on execution and play selection.

I do have to say that my only gripe about the officiating was the no call on Burns getting suplexed at one point. Both sides of the crowd let out a gasp on that one. Burns got up a little slow. White hat is usually going to opt to set a precedence on those kinds of tackles.
Officiating was mostly a non factor, I did notice on one kick off return that FH took to near midfield, an official threw a flag for holding on FH moving them back to about the 25. The call was for 2 players kind of slow dancing on the opposite side of the return some 40 yards away from the action. Obvious non call. Can't take anything away from MR performance, they outplayed FH for 48 minutes.

Yeah, I saw that, too, and wondered about the no call. Of course, I only saw it on video and didn't see the FH coaches raising Cain about it.

Not was but is. MR is better than FH. I think this FH team is missing several things, but the biggest is size on the o- and d-line. This is huge, no pun intended. They also seem to be missing a Blake White - team leader. The whole team looks lost at times. Somebody better fill this job or FH will have - at least - two losses at the end of the season.

The other key things from this (for me) are: 1) Have a damn game plan to make quick adjustments to situations, MR did; 2) Throw more screens when you're being rushed like that; 3) More short up and out passes also to loosen things up; 4) Utilize the toss sweep more and give your playmakers a better chance; 5) Spy that QB and do not let him get outside, trust the speed of your DBs and double-spy with safety on some plays. More pressure on the QB will get inside his head better. 6) Mix the pass in early. Don't wait until it's predictable; 7) Hold onto the ball; and 8) Bench a hothead for a series.

Those are my armchair coaching takeaways. Of course, I have a lotta more. Always easy from the comfort of your chair. LOL!!!
I was there, understanding everything you said except #8) bench a hothead. Did I miss something.

I was there, understanding everything you said except #8) bench a hothead. Did I miss something.
I won't name the FH player, but after the tackle, as they were getting up, he spun around and elbowed tackler. I think it was a case of sour grapes, but there's no place for it. FH's team is very well disciplined, but there were some other personal fouls I didn't see. Those are costly. Pull the kid to get him to cool his jets.

Reactions: ravemwp
I won't name the FH player, but after the tackle, as they were getting up, he spun around and elbowed tackler. I think it was a case of sour grapes, but there's no place for it. FH's team is very well disciplined, but there were some other personal fouls I didn't see. Those are costly. Pull the kid to get him to cool his jets.
Absolutely, must of missed that. I thought I saw a little jawwing after the failed 2 point conversation, but didn't see anything physical. Late hit on the onside kick was the only really flagrant thing I noticed. Dumb mistake.

I’m just saying the penalties swung this game 22+ points.

My continual agony with many officials isn't so much about the lopsided numbers against one team, but the fact there are 10-20 penalties being called on one or both teams. That's too many flags. At some point refs need to step out of the game and let some things go. Especially when they have no bearing on the play. Said this my entire life. The game is about players and never should be about officials. It gets worse at the college and NFL level. I don't tune into games on Sunday to watch players in black and white stripes. Let them play please.

Refs are human. They see a holding call and throw the flag. Then they spend much of the rest of the game watching for that call like a hawk.

Despite FH being flagged 11 times, many of them 10-15 yard variety, the officials made no difference in the outcome of this game in Frostburg. But it certainly made things more difficult.

Last edited:
How does the white cap watch what happened to Burns and throw a flag? There is Zero excuse for KJ not throwing the flag. No referee in the game today keeps the flag in his pocket there. He wouldn’t get another FH game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT