ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite Road Trips

Seasoned Lettuce

All State Poster
Jul 28, 2015
While I've always enjoyed the friendly confines of Greenway Avenue Stadium, and always prefer a game there to anywhere, I'd be lying if I said I didn't look forward to a good road trip. What makes a good road trip? Well, many factors come into play, but the trifecta for me involves 1) just the right distance, 2) perfect food, and 3) a great atmosphere. In all my years of following Cumberland area football, I'd like to mention a few of my favorites here, feel free to join in:

1) The old CVAL Road Trips were the best: At just over an hour, no more than an hour and a half, those trips to Death Valley in Martinsburg, 2) Moomaw Stadium in Hedgesville, 3) Waldeck Field in Bunker Hill (Musselman) and of course 4) Jefferson's Stadium in Shenandoah Junction were just perfect. You knew the roads, you could drive to those stadiums with your eyes closed, and of course food opportunities were endless. You could stop at the Park N Dine in Hancock with half of Cumberland, or of course you had all that Hagerstown could offer in exotic fare....and in those days Red Lobster was pretty exotic, lol. You had great atmosphere, Martinsburg of course was a beastly place to visit and the Bulldogs/Sentinels rivalr in particular was as heated as any Interstate rivalry around.....Martinsburg to me was the quintessentially perfect road trip, always a highly anticipated game and trip. Musselman was a tough, great atmosphere and of course Hedgesville had some great years in the mid 90's in which winning there was tough. Finally, Jefferson was the longest trip and usually the surest bet of a victory, but with Jefferson you never knew what athletes they'd bring to the table. Speaking of the table, a post-game stop at the McDonald's on Sharpsburg Pike was a must.

2) Central (PA): That most recent trip to Central in Pennsylvania was a jim dandy. A great opponent, and an unbelievable small town football atmosphere. It was a packed house, with Central folks en masse on the Fort Hill side, it kind of gave Fort Hill folks a taste of their own medicine, invading both sides is usually how we roll. I recall specifically how great it was that the Stadium was right smack in the middle of a neighborhood on top of a hill and that we passed many a front-yard pre-game tailgate on our walk to the Stadium. Then there's the food, with all that the Bedford Area has to offer quality dining options were limitless.

3) Ligonier Valley: The appeal of heading into the Western Pennsylvania mountains to take on an undefeated and unfamiliar opponent in an awesome small town atmosphere was exciting. The trip over was beautiful into the Laurel Highlands and the atmosphere was pretty good, despite the rain, oh the rain, the rain dampened spirits somewhat but the Sentinel's thrasing of Ligonier Valley and the whiny post-game antics of their coach made the trip worth it. Little did he know Fort Hill folks would find his comments on the Internet and at least attempt to set the record straight. Anyway, alot of anticipation for this one and I remember it fondly.

4) Sherando: Ironic that we're playing Sherando this year. Who could forget that trip down to Stevens City (or close to it) to face the Warriors in their Inaugural Season. A bit of a drive, and unfamiliar territory for most, however, the beautiful brand new facilities and the Warrior on Horseback made for a great night. Then there was the announcer, who could ever forget his "First Down Shhhheeeeeerrrrrrrraaaaannnnnndddddo" chants? It was a good win for the Sentinels, but of course Sherando has developed one heckuva program since then. Don't remember the food, but I'm guessing you could have hit anythting in the Interstate 70/Interstate 81 corridor for this one.

5) Keyser: Cumberland Schools versus Keyser is always a classic. Plus, you're looking at a half hour plus and all the treasure troves Keyser restaurants have to offer, For a small town, th eating options are tremendous here. It's a road trip without really leaving the area, but the atmosphere is always intense, the crowds are big, and with the new stadium the facilities are first rate. Who doesn't circle the Keyser road trips on the schedule? Great, great rivalries with the Golden Tornado and of course Keyser is a great little football town.

I haven't had time to think this through, I'm sure I'll come up with many more, but here's a short list. Thoughts? Comments?

Even though I travel from Baltimore to Frostburg on even my so called home games I would have to say that I do have a few favorites as far as the road competition goes. Most of mine would have to be the same as ^^^, Love the travels to Jefferson and Hedgesville. I also like the trip to Catoctin the few times I made it. But to be honest my favorite are the familiar ones even if they aren't that far. Frankfort, Keyser, Hampshire, Northern, Southern, and Greenway. And it all has to do with the atmosphere at those games.

As the gentleman above stated some of my best trips as well. I remember going to Bear, Delaware to take on Red Lion. You talk about a small town...but with great atmosphere too! For a small school, it had professional turf and sidelines and the fans were great as well. A long trip...but worth the time and effort.
Even though it was not really a stadium per-se, going to the Silver Oak game last year was a special event for me as well. Not much for seating, but the food was good and atmosphere again better than average. I enjoy going to new places and running the scoreboard was a new feature for me as well.
You talk about beautiful stadium or fields, then Ridgeway, Pa., would be another good one. A little long of a trip, but the field was perfect grass, great food and the Ridgway folks were the best. Loved played what they considered a big time school in Allegany and loving the fact of their traditions and history. The trip has lots of back roads with lots of interesting things to see.

Although it will never happen, I would of loved to go to a Grande Prairie, Canada game in Vancouver Canada. Just to return the effort that they gave us a few years ago and see how they play the game in another country. One heck of a trip though. I'd have to save up for that one...but would enjoy it non the less.

One last one would be Sidwell Friends in downtown Washington D.C. No frills here. Just come here and play the game. While the game is going on, there will be two...girls and boys soccer games and probably a lacrosse game as well going on. The Sidwell people were really friendly and welcomed us every time to their field. Not a bad trip either with lots of eating place along the way.

The CVAL road trips were always a highlight of the season. The sizzle in the air was always most intense at Coburn Field though. Of course Cumberlanders have dubbed the stadium Death Valley, which I fairly recently found out is a Cumberland colloquialism, not so much a fond nickname amongst the Bulldog faithful. I just assumed that's what they called it, and we agreed. But whatever the old guard may have instilled, the new Bulldog fans aren't as friendly and familiar with the Death Valley moniker. Which makes me want to call it that even more. lol

I think you are going to LOVE the trip to Clearfield big time. They are an exact replica of FH football in every manor including size, tradition and winning consistently. I also made a post back in the winter about two monster places to eat there. Here is that old link:
http://marylandvarsity.forums.rival...hill-varsity-football-schedule-released.2010/

The Paterno Burger on the Denny's Beer Barrel Pub menu sounds awesome :)
I provided links with menus.

These eating places came recommended straight from their AD as if Charlie Lattimer himself was giving you the directions to Pattatucci's.

Last edited:
I met some Clearfield people at the Wendy's in Cumberland after their loss to Keyser last year. While they were very nice people, I got the feeling there was no way in the world they were expecting to come to a small town in WV and lost to a WV 2A school. That was a nice win for Keyser. Anyway, I wished them well, never dreaming we might be seeing them again...lol. Can't wait for this trip, I know they are traditionally a sucessful program so I'm hoping for the same atmosphere as was at Cenral but on steroids. A very young Fort Hill team could also make a big statement if they can come out of there with a win on opening night. While I suspect a few losses becuase of the tough schedule, I suspect this is going to be a great year of Football for both Fort Hill and Allegany.

I'l never forget the first time Fort Hill played and travelled to Musseulman, unfortunately for the Appleman it was in 1997. Musselman, in those days especially, was a very proud program under a legendary coach that had done noting but win, win and win some more. Some state championships across a few different classes in West Virginia and perennial playoff runs resulted in Musselman having a large and pretty fervent fan base. They were not, however, prepared for the 1997 team and a Big Red Nation that was rolling deep on that particualr night. I remember being lined up way early at the ticket booth and the Fort Hill crowd stretched as far as you could see hours before kickoff, in fact, it was hours before the gate was supposed to open. The Musselman people couldn't believe it....and then the buses started rolling in, Bollman Bus after Bollman Bus with the Team, Band, Sentinelletes and fans, it was crazy, and the Musselman people were dumbstruck. Then the game started and the legendary 97 Sentinels drubbed Musselman 48-0. To this day, I don't think the good people of Bunker Hill and Inwood knew what hit them. Musselman of course bounced back and actually beat Fort Hill the next 2 years and enjoyed a pretty good series with Fort Hill.....but that was a roadtrip for the memory bank.

Last edited:
Only went there once ( last yr ), but Chestnut Ridge was a nice evening of football. Good atmosphere. They did drag it out by introducing every kid that went to school there at halftime, but it was an enjoyable evening. Always liked going to play the Hagerstown schools, too. Miss those days!!!

I think you all will enjoy your upcoming trip to Stephan City to play Sherando. I could be wrong, but the last time FH played there was shortly after Sherando opened back in the late 90s? Regardless, times have changed with this program maturing to competitive level in VA Div 4 each year with as good of tradition you'll see in high school football. Todd, you might appreciate the Indian warrior on the horse bringing back memories of Fl St :)

If you have the time take Rt 50 from Romney or 522 from Berkeley Springs to SR 37 South to the stadium. A much more scenic ride verses Rt 68, 70, 81... A lot of good place to eat in & around Winchester, especially if you venture into old town Winchester around Cork St.

I expect 6000 plus to be at Arrowhead Stadium later in the season against Fort Hill. Best of wishes on your trip to Sherando and hope you all enjoy the game. The announcer is still there, and it is a great football atmosphere.

Reactions: Red Neck
I expect 6000 plus to be at Arrowhead Stadium later in the season against Fort Hill. Best of wishes on your trip to Sherando and hope you all enjoy the game. The announcer is still there, and it is a great football atmosphere.

I've encouraged Gameday Magazine to make sure they cover this game, which always brings an added interest.

Seas
I'l never forget the first time Fort Hill played and travelled to Musseulman, unfortunately for the Appleman it was in 1997. Musselman, in those days especially, was a very proud program under a legendary coach that had done noting but win, win and win some more. Some state championships across a few different classes in West Virginia and perennial playoff runs resulted in Musselman having a large and pretty fervent fan base. They were not, however, prepared for the 1997 team and a Big Red Nation that was rolling deep on that particualr night. I remember being lined up way early at the ticket booth and the Fort Hill crowd stretched as far as you could see hours before kickoff, in fact, it was hours before the gate was supposed to open. The Musselman people couldn't believe it....and then the buses started rolling in, Bollman Bus after Bollman Bus with the Team, Band, Sentinelletes and fans, it was crazy, and the Musselman people were dumbstruck. Then the game started and the legendary 97 Sentinels drubbed Musselman 48-0. To this day, I don't think the good people of Bunker Hill and Inwood knew what hit them. Musselman of course bounced back and actually beat Fort Hill the next 2 years and enjoyed a pretty good series with Fort Hill.....but that was a roadtrip for the memory bank.

The '97 Musselman game was an atmosphere you cannot forget. The half-time score was actually 13-7 and we went into the locker room on quiet time. The walk under the corner of the Musselman bleachers to the weight room (our locker room) was met with fans cursing and throwing some rocks and popcorn at us. It was great. The half-time speech by Coach Calhoun, more of a scolding cannot be quoted on this board. It was heated to say the least and would not be allowed in the sissy culture of today (kids would probably cry and a few parents would look for a scandle).

I would say with certainty that without that yelling and scolding we may have lost that game. I don't even remember any game planning during halftime, just yelling and you better win or else theme. The only change was T. Welsh was put in at fullback for a change of pace and the final score, 48-7. We won, took ice cold showers and then home.

Its unfortunate for the guys playing the past 10 years due to the loss of population and many guys from my generation that do not support the program or have moved away. I can remember as a little kid and when I played seeing away games have more Sentinel fans than current home games. One of the more fun atmospheres I can remember after my playing days was heading over to Pot. State and watching FH come back and when after being down 19-0 at the half to Keyser.

Last edited:
Oh, Don't you dare mention that FH-Keyser game! The game that started "The Fort Hill Refs" talk! Even at home games! I could see that kind of talk if that game was played in Cumberland, but it was a KHS home game!

I know the person in charge of Gameday I will find out the status of this coming season at Arrowhead.

I know the person in charge of Gameday I will find out the status of this coming season at Arrowhead.

Thanks - I know Andy, and I sent him an email about a week ago encouraging him to promote this game. I think it's going to be a good one. I've not gotten a reply, but I'm sure he's very busy. Getting a 2nd email request (from you) should help.

Wow , I would have never missed one of my sons games, and besides this one might not be close this year. Next year could be a different story.

Wow , I would have never missed one of my sons games, and besides this one might not be close this year. Next year could be a different story.

If he was playing I wouldn't miss it. Don't under estimate FH. Coming off back-to-back state championships they are going to be good again this year (young but good). I've seen some FH faithful predict 2-3 loss season, but any more than 2 I'll be surprised. It will be fun to watch.

Last edited:
the Sherando Warriors never take anyone lightly, or under estimate a opponent. didn't realize when you were saying your son's game, he was a coach and not a player. This years Sherando team will not be the best we have had by any means, but will be a challenge for any young team I would expect. But surprises are nice also! I hope for a great game.

Reactions: Red Neck
the Sherando Warriors never take anyone lightly, or under estimate a opponent. didn't realize when you were saying your son's game, he was a coach and not a player. This years Sherando team will not be the best we have had by any means, but will be a challenge for any young team I would expect. But surprises are nice also! I hope for a great game.
I usually pull for Virginia teams in interstate games, but I went to FH and played back in the stone age. Both communities have great passion for high school football, which makes it special. FH will bring 6-7 buses, plus cars. Small town high school football is awesome, IMO.

I don't know about you guys, but to date my favorite road trip of all-time was the Archbishop Curley game last Thursday. I like how they welcomed the band, cheerleaders, and Fort Hill fans with open arms. Allowing everyone to include the tour buses to park on their grass, well lets call it mud practice field was a great idea. Sure everyone got stuck in the mud but the camaraderie everyone displayed in keeping each other warm and supplied with food and hot beverages as we were forced to sleep in our cars overnight is something we'll soon not forget. I'll tell you another thing, those portable lights that were brought in were almost enough to allow you to determine which team had the ball and almost enough to ensure you could keep an eye on all your valuables to prevent them from being stolen. How about that halftime entertainment too, it was so nice of Dunbar to offer up a special performance by their Pom Squad, they looked fantastic. I haven't seen a group of girls dance so awesomely to "Tootsie Roll" by 69 Boyz since, well, the Dunbar Pom Squad of 1994 at School High Stadium in Hagerstown at the State Championship game, or was that after a night at the Huddle Gentleman's Club in Martinsburg.........."Dip, Baby Dip." Special thanks goes out also to Christopher's Photo Lab and Raven's Owner Art Modell for splitting the costs of the Portable Bleachers brought in for the night. I tell you, Curley sure knows how to roll out the Red Carpet, glad to hear Todd and Todd say they enjoyed the experience so much that Fort Hill has declined Curley's offer to come to Greenway next year and we'll be making the return trip to Curley next year. Good times, good times.

I enjoyed the old CVAL trips also. Frederick and TJ too. The 75 semi at Gaithersburg and championship game too. I can't remember where the championship was played but it was a cold day! I also like the Pittsburgh trips the big city atmosphere. Stopping in Monroeville doing some shopping and hitting the Golden Coral!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT