ADVERTISEMENT

Eye on Petersburg - Jacob Hartman Area Player of The Year?

TDHelmick

Hall of Fame Poster
May 29, 2001
A player not many in the Cumberland ranks will discuss...but the senior QB at Petersburg - Jacob Hartman - may be the Area Player of The Year. He is the best QB. Despite Petersburg not getting much coverage, their players are included in the Times-News All-Area Team selections. Whenever I put a vote in for someone like Jacob on the All-Area team many local coaches just frown and tell me things like he doesn't play anybody, he shouldn't win a top award because he doesn't play local teams. Well, is he or isn't he part of the All-Area voting process? And I don't see how the Petersburg schedule is much lighter or contains less local competition compared to other area teams. But it is difficult to obtain his weekly stats.

Petersburg pasted Berkeley Springs this past weekend 43-6 and Jacob's highlights were especially nice. I bet he threw for over 300 yards? He is also playing linebacker this year. The 6'2, 215 lb senior already has some D2 offers. The interesting part of his story is the Jacob Hartman is deaf. Don't think he will play QB at the next level but with his size and agility watch this kid play defense somewhere. I know in my talks with Coach Lane Fitzgerald at Frostburg State that he loves this kid.

Anyway, keep on eye on Petersburg this year. They toss it around as usual. They visit Frankfort on October 12.

JACOB HARTMAN HIGHLIGHTS AGAINST BERKELEY SPRINGS (Aug. 24, 2018)
Impressive!
http://www.hudl.com/v/2ADgmH

Last edited:
Reactions: Waggle Pass
I've seen him play and he is a very good QB and a fierce competitior. He throws well and is elusive and will tuck it and run if he has the chance. They also usually have at least two quality recievers who are quick and can catch the ball well.

The new coach at Petersburg (whose name escapes me) has done an excellent job at revitalizing Petersburg's football program. They have always had quality athletes at that school but have struggled until recently to field good football teams.

Before Jacob Hartman they had another good quarterback named Ryan VanMeter who was a great athlete too. He was a dual threat quarterback and had several good recievers to throw to.

They are a fun team to watch with their spread offense and a young coach who is not afraid to take gambles to keep his team in the game.

The Petersburg, Moorefield, East Hardy area really does have some great athletes for such small schools. Moorefield has a young team that is struggling now but East Hardy and Petersburg have been in an upswing recently.

Thanks TDHelmick for your recognition of a great football and young man.

Totally agree he is one to watch! Have seen him play and kid can really sling the ball. What's more is he has great touch and is now a 3 or 4 year starter at that position. total command of that spread offense and what I've noticed is that while he has favorite receivers, he will take what the defense gives him and spread it around to the open receiver. A definite talent for sure!
Sometimes that "who have they played" argument really drives me crazy. If a kid can play ball, he can play ball. He shouldn't be downgraded because of factors beyond his control (i.e. schedule). Who's to stay that with the talent he has on his team, it's any easier to win a game than say a FH or ALCO QB to win vs Southern or Boonesboro given their respective talent? Great players are great players no matter where they play. A 6th round draft choice out of Central Michigan (AB) is considered by many to be the best WR in the NFL right now. And to go old school, Jack Lambert played at that NCAA powerhouse Kent State. Wherever they are, great players seem to rise to the top. Good Luck to Jacob and the Vikings on a great season!

Petersburg forfeited their big game tonight with Grafton because they forgot to hire officials. Yikes.

Petersburg and Grant County Schools have issued a statement that they did schedule officials back in May—so this MAY be on the Officiating Association.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT