ADVERTISEMENT

Dunbar @ Walkersville

Sherando was 4-3 going into that game and the weather didn't help... An 8-0 Martinsburg, Morgantown, Damascus, or Walkersville would most certainly be a big difference compared to a 4-3 Sherando or 0-6 CC or SO.

But you get what I am saying right? Not going to the state semifinal is a personal preference. I am not condemning anyone for making that choice mind you. But am saying that your best interest is not FH football or the FH kids/coaches or the fact you may be an alum choosing not to support your school. This choice isn't about support. It's about what is best for you. And I'm good with that. I too pick and choose where I spend my time. However, when it comes time to jump on issues such as schedules, I see that as a personal preference, not what is best for FH football or the FH kids/coaches. It's kind of like asking a person who doesn't even go to games who the starting QB should be. Or like me telling the Post Office how much they need to charge for a stamp when I go into the Post Office twice a year.

Reactions: sentinel-nurse
As far as Good Counsel goes... Dematha is basically in the same situation and when they came to Greenway it was one of the largest crowds thats been in the stadium...

But you get what I am saying right? Not going to the state semifinal is a personal preference. I am not condemning anyone for making that choice mind you. But am saying that your best interest is not FH football or the FH kids/coaches or the fact you may be an alum choosing not to support your school. This choice isn't about support. It's about what is best for you. And I'm good with that. I too pick and choose where I spend my time. However, when it comes time to jump on issues such as schedules, I see that as a personal preference, not what is best for FH football or the FH kids/coaches. It's kind of like asking a person who doesn't even go to games who the starting QB should be.

Todd I do get what you're saying, and I don't want to misquote you. But for me personally when I heard you say a few years back that the fan's opinion doesn't matter to the coaching staff that pretty much ended it for me... I can spend my money on people that are more appreciative...

I guess the point i'm trying to make is that I personally would be more inclined to spend money come playoff time on a northern game or a Kent county game if I wasn't forced to sit through 7 or 8 of those games during the regular season. But why should I keep shelling out money on these games that are already decided before they're played when the coaches don't care about the fan only the money they're spending?

The FH coaches make decisions based on FH and their kids. Not what fans think. That is correct. I don't know of any coach at any level that operates the opposite direction. But for a $5 or $6 price of admission to be the issue, well I can't really respond to that because I don't know your financial situation. I did notice though that beers at the local tavern went up to $5 for the microbrews :(

Also note that the DeMatha game was a full 20 years ago. This isn't 20 years ago which is really the whole problem. While I realize people like you are aware of this fact for Cumberland, there is still a part that doesn't seem to want to accept it as reality in places like the football programs. Things that once were are not the same. Which is why these arguments about 1A, schedules for 1A teams, playing 4A powers, etc. are really mind boggling when these factors get dismissed in the discussion.

Last edited:
Sounds like a great game to me. Wish I had more details. WagglePass provided some. Dunbar was said to have tremendous speed and for Walkersville to almost shut them out is a statement about their D. Some of the best games I have ever watched or played in were low scoring.

Semi finals are 8 bucks admission, by the way.

x's that by 3-6 or however many in case your family would like to go. Now add food and drinks and x's that by the 8 SO games you were forced to attend, otherwise your loyalty will be in question, now you no longer have the price of a micro brew at the local tavern... You've now invested a small fortune...

Last edited:
The FH coaches make decisions based on FH and their kids. Not what fans think. That is correct. I don't know of any coach at any level that operates the opposite direction. But for a $5 or $6 price of admission to be the issue, well I can't really respond to that because I don't know your financial situation. I did notice though that beers at the local tavern went up to $5 for the microbrews :(

Also note that the DeMatha game was a full 20 years ago. This isn't 20 years ago which is really the whole problem. While I realize people like you are aware of this fact for Cumberland, there is still a part that doesn't seem to want to accept it as reality in places like the football programs. Things that once were are not the same. Which is why these arguments about 1A, schedules for 1A teams, playing 4A powers, etc. are really mind boggling when these factors get dismissed in the discussion.

"The FH coaches make decisions based on FH and their kids. Not what fans think. I don't know of any coach at any level that operates the opposite direction."

Maybe I'm taking it the wrong way, maybe you're saying it the wrong way, maybe a combination of both. But beings that you referenced "any level" then I'll say take a look at any college or professional venue and you'll notice the game is centered around the "fan experience" b/c the fans are the ones forking over the dough... If everyone took that stance I doubt many businesses would be profitable. Yes, contrary to what some may believe HS sports is a business. When you sale a product you're conducting business, whether it be tickets, stadium pizza, sweatshirts, raffle tickets, or trinkets. I don't see how considering fan experience and whats best for FH and their kids as polar opposites or competing forces. I think you can have both if such a hard line wasn't taken by the coaching staff. But if fan's don't matter then empty bleachers is what you get when 6 straight games of SO and CC's are being played... Whats good for the fan and whats good for the program don't have to be mutually exclusive. But if you think I'm less of a fan b/c I choose not to spend my money on a product I'm dissatisfied with then so be it.

"Also note that the DeMatha game was a full 20 years ago."

Yes it was a full 20 years ago.. FH has a whole 200 less kids compared to then? Just recently as 2008 according to the enrollment numbers there were more kids enrolled than there were in 1996. Cumberland has 3,000 less people now? I doubt if all 3,000 lost are FH fans. I'm going to be generous and say you've lost 1500 attendees since then.. Ok you won't have the 5 or 6,000 people you had at the Dematha game you may now only have 4,000 or 4500 people in the stands to see an undefeated Good Counsel team at Greenway. That's a whole hell of alot better then the 600-1500 people you're getting to come see Fairmont Senior, CC, Brunswick, SO etc.

Last edited:
I'm usually just a reader on these forums but wanted to give my "two cents" on this discussion about the attendance at the Fort.Hill football games. Agreeing with many, yes the attendance is down at most games. I DO have reserved seats on the 50-yardline and try to make every game. One thing I have noticed......including myself......many people, loyal people, are getting older and or passing away. Attendance in school is FAR less than just 10 years ago let alone 20. I will be one of the first in line today so I can get my "usual" seats. Many of the reserved seats belong to people that have had these seats for the most part 35 or so years. They are by far the most loyal people to Fort Hill football. Come early and find a seat around the 50.....than take notice of the ages of the people who come early and sit around you. Many, MANY elderly people will become your "neighbor" that game. Unfortunately weather is the one thing that will hurt this crowd today and any other day that is calling for cold, windy and possibly rainy. OUR motto : If the boys have to PLAY in it.....we can SIT through it and support them !! Of course, like I said, that was 35 years ago and MANY of us are getting a bit older and "sitting through it" is just a lil tougher now. I WILL be there today.....on the 50.....bundled like an eskimo because I want to hopefully be a part of history made at Fort Hill High School. To win 4 straight State Championships and to be only the second team in the entire state of Maryland to accomplish this would be a proud moment. You see, Fort Hills run of State Championships only came 20 years apart at one time. They are "special" to us older folk and I have been fortunate to be around for the previous three....many have not. So, even though those stands may not be packed or even a lil full. You can bet many a radio will be tuned to Fort Hill football at 1 p.m. today. and it's not because of any prior games or teams this season or is it because its $ 8.00 admission. It's because they love their Fort Hill players & coaches AND it's because they are thee most loyal fans in the state.....HANDS DOWN !! PROUD to be a Sentinel !

For damn sakes Savage would you get off the cream puff schedule crap. Everything thread you turn it into the scheduling "FH creampuffs" If you are that upset and obessed with it, why dont you make the trip to Martinsburg on fridays and watch them play there powerhouse schedule so you can see a good game. Like Todd said, this is the semis and FH's shot at getting a 4th title. We didnt schedule KC, they played and earned the right to play in the Semis. So cream puff team or not Im gonna support and belly up the 5 or 6 bucks it is to watch the KC game today.

Reactions: towpath94
For damn sakes Savage would you get off the cream puff schedule crap. Everything thread you turn it into the scheduling "FH creampuffs" If you are that upset and obessed with it, why dont you make the trip to Martinsburg on fridays and watch them play there powerhouse schedule so you can see a good game. Like Todd said, this is the semis and FH's shot at getting a 4th title. We didnt schedule KC, they played and earned the right to play in the Semis. So cream puff team or not Im gonna support and belly up the 5 or 6 bucks it is to watch the KC game today.

This topic was started by someone complaining about attendance.. I'm not going to the ignore fact cream puff teams are a major contributor to poor attendance. And since you like handing out suggestions I have one for you... You should invest time in directing your attention to the US and State constitutions and the articles and amendments therein that contain the clauses on Freedom of Speech. Beings that it seems you missed that whole civics lesson in class...

"The FH coaches make decisions based on FH and their kids. Not what fans think. I don't know of any coach at any level that operates the opposite direction."

Maybe I'm taking it the wrong way, maybe you're saying it the wrong way, maybe a combination of both. But beings that you referenced "any level" then I'll say take a look at any college or professional venue and you'll notice the game is centered around the "fan experience" b/c the fans are the ones forking over the dough... If everyone took that stance I doubt many businesses would be profitable. Yes, contrary to what some may believe HS sports is a business. When you sale a product you're conducting business, whether it be tickets, stadium pizza, sweatshirts, raffle tickets, or trinkets. I don't see how considering fan experience and whats best for FH and their kids as polar opposites or competing forces. I think you can have both if such a hard line wasn't taken by the coaching staff. But if fan's don't matter then empty bleachers is what you get when 6 straight games of SO and CC's are being played... Whats good for the fan and whats good for the program don't have to be mutually exclusive. But if you think I'm less of a fan b/c I choose not to spend my money on a product I'm dissatisfied with then so be it.

"Also note that the DeMatha game was a full 20 years ago."

Yes it was a full 20 years ago.. FH has a whole 200 less kids compared to then? Just recently as 2008 according to the enrollment numbers there were more kids enrolled than there were in 1996. Cumberland has 3,000 less people now? I doubt if all 3,000 lost are FH fans. I'm going to be generous and say you've lost 1500 attendees since then.. Ok you won't have the 5 or 6,000 people you had at the Dematha game you may now only have 4,000 or 4500 people in the stands to see an undefeated Good Counsel team at Greenway. That's a whole hell of alot better then the 600-1500 people you're getting to come see Fairmont Senior, CC, Brunswick, SO etc.

So Cumberland wasn't much different 20 years ago? Wow. Ok. This explains much. Making posts at 4:00 am about why 1A schools should not play 1A schedules. It never ends. All this from someone who won't go to the game that puts FH in the championship.

Reactions: bigsavage
This topic was started by someone complaining about attendance.. I'm not going to the ignore fact cream puff teams are a major contributor to poor attendance. And since you like handing out suggestions I have one for you... You should invest time in directing your attention to the US and State constitutions and the articles and amendments therein that contain the clauses on Freedom of Speech. Beings that it seems you missed that whole civics lesson in class...
Whatever savage, go post your i wish fort hill played this team, or allegany played this team. Why dont we take a vote on this board and ask how many people are sick and tired of you turning every post around about scheduling, the cream puff schedule, play martinsburg, good counsel.Dude its old, very old, and we dont care. Like I said, take your lounge chair, and go watch watch your powerhouse high school schedule. Point blank, FH is gonna win 4 . Enough said!!! By the way, why dont you get on the board or anything else so u can schedule your elite schedule that everyone wants to see. Enough said

Whatever savage, go post your i wish fort hill played this team, or allegany played this team. Why dont we take a vote on this board and ask how many people are sick and tired of you turning every post around about scheduling, the cream puff schedule, play martinsburg, good counsel.Dude its old, very old, and we dont care. Like I said, take your lounge chair, and go watch watch your powerhouse high school schedule. Point blank, FH is gonna win 4 . Enough said!!! By the way, why dont you get on the board or anything else so u can schedule your elite schedule that everyone wants to see. Enough said

"Enough said" get r done lol... Take a vote?? lame... Complaining about complaining that's classic! Here's a cliche saying since you like them so much "Got em":D

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT