ADVERTISEMENT

Dunbar FH game

I do not know. Here’s an honest question for you though. What happens first, FH reaches 8 or alco beats FH?

Given that Allegany should have won the playoff game. I'll say Alco will win homecoming first.

Well, since I am not a player I wouldn't get anything either way.... and neither did you. But, I would say Alco gets dignity and a coach to be proud of when he is giving an interview.
no argument there, whose disagreeing with that statement? that's what i've been saying for weeks. anything else you wanta just throw out there that you've missed the last couple weeks while you've been sulking.
by the way, is this the same coach who you said after the cr game that he wasn't fh's coach, the team wasn't fh, they didn't know how to win, they let the talk go to their head, they didn't have heart...blahblahblah...wasn't that all the coach's fault?

no argument there, whose disagreeing with that statement? that's what i've been saying for weeks. anything else you wanta just throw out there that you've missed the last couple weeks while you've been sulking.
by the way, is this the same coach who you said after the cr game that he wasn't fh's coach, the team wasn't fh, they didn't know how to win, they let the talk go to their head, they didn't have heart...blahblahblah...wasn't that all the coach's fault?

And.... Hansel has openly taken full responsibility for his team's shortcomings, whether the number of personal fouls or his team leaving the bench.

However, FH was in the cheap meat first half of the season so there wasn't much there to have Appel envy about, was there? ... and so forth. However, yes.... Alco didn't go into the CR game ready to play - combined with some defensive lapses that they suffered all year.

Let me bottom line it: I would have wanted my son to play on Allegany this year rather than FH.

I didn't interpret Coach Appel's quote correctly. I saw the tweet of it and didn't hear the entire context of what was said around that part of the quote. I thought he was complaining about playing Lackey and Allegany in order to play for the State Championship. After hearing his entire post game news conference it seems as if he was talking about his regular season schedule and NOT the teams he had to play in the postseason. It makes even less sense considering you are the one that signs off on your schedule. If you don't want to play Sherando, Melbourne, and Friendship Collegiate then don't schedule them. I would think those games helped you more then they hurt you this afternoon.

BTW... Congratulations to the Fort Hill Sentinels. Great game by all players and you have a lot to be proud of in your 4 year career. Something tells me you will once again be in the conversation next year.

Congratulations to Dunbar. They played a great game and it was obvious the top two teams made it to the finals. Much respect.

Bottom line. Congrats to Dunbar, you were the better team tonight. Fort Hill had an awesome run and don't count them out for next year. The personal stuff should be pushed aside. Coach Appel has had a tremendous impact on the young people he has coached and mentored and also been very successful.

He's human and anyone who has coached (especially football because it is much more demanding than any other sport to coach) has had their moments when their emotions have gotten the best of them. It can be due to fatigue, stress, overwork and I could go on and on. At the end of the day Coach Appel is human, has made mistakes but has done far more good than bad for his players, school and community.

Passing only works if you actually throw the ball.

True. However, nearly always looking for the bomb, instead of a short pass, requires more time to set up. This was the same old awful, pound-it-up-the-middle play-calling FH has tripped over when playing other good teams. Even Allegany with a third string QB would've thrown more, if the situation required it. True champions play to win.

True. However, nearly always looking for the bomb, instead of a short pass, requires more time to set up. This was the same old awful, pound-it-up-the-middle play-calling FH has tripped over when playing other good teams. Even Allegany with a third string QB would've thrown more, if the situation required it. True champions play to win.
What??? Is this pride?? I hope you DVR’d this.

And.... Hansel has openly taken full responsibility for his team's shortcomings, whether the number of personal fouls or his team leaving the bench.

However, FH was in the cheap meat first half of the season so there wasn't much there to have Appel envy about, was there? ... and so forth. However, yes.... Alco didn't go into the CR game ready to play - combined with some defensive lapses that they suffered all year.

Let me bottom line it: I would have wanted my son to play on Allegany this year rather than FH.
Again, I'm in complete agreement with the part about your son. Appel is preaching family and then talking shit about his own player. Two weeks ago he said #5, but he used his name, should never have fumbled against allegany right before halftime...he then said there blocks missed, but didn't mention any of those guys names who missed the blocks.
He's become a different person and there's a lot of people on this board who have noticed, it's not just haters.

Reactions: camper21502
Some people are never going to agree with you. They will ignore the fact that trailing 26-22 at their thirteen yard line, the qb stood up threw the ball straight out ten yards or so, the wide receiver ran 87 yards...this is what you're talking about, and I for one get it and couldn't agree more.

when alco beats dunbar in the playoffs, or on a neutral field, then get back to me.
Tak
when alco beats dunbar in the playoffs, or on a neutral field, then get back to me.
I'm taking nothing away from FH. Not a slam on them. At all. Just saying that Dunbar at week 1 and week 14 is not the same. Alco can't beat their chest over their Dunbar win when FH beat Alco. Twice.

Reactions: FortHillFan89
Dunbar said that game with Alco helped them with FH.. I still can't believe Appel blew this game. FH is known for their 2nd half dominance and they don't score a single point in this one.. I said the only way FH loses is bad play calling and I was right.. It also hurt that they didn't get that many penalty breaks like they did in the 1st half. I'm not saying the calls were wrong, I'm saying they really helped.. I thought Dunbar was gonna break the record for penalties in that 1st half..

Reactions: GenSneaky
It was definitely the same Dunbar team. Way too much speed for FH. The same Dunbar team that is happy to meet their cheap meat.

Reactions: OneRing
Looked like the same Dunbar team I watched in week 1.. Next yr. if we beat Dunbar it doesn't count because it's the first game... Why does everyone make excuses??
of course it counts, and it counts that you lost to fh twice and will continue to do so if all you are hanging your hat on is beating dunbar week 1. If fh continues to do what they do they'll continue to lose to dunbar. if alco continues to do what they do against fh they'll continue to lose to fh. appel and this staff can't beat dunbar, hanson and this staff can't beat fh. these are just facts, what point are you trying to make?

1st half they over powered Dunbar with a dominant run game using up over 18 mins of the clock. Second half they thought they’d get cute and pass more, and it backfired. All it did was let Dunbar’s defense get rest, and caused FH’s defense to get worn down fast.

Maybe this is why they were encouraged to pass more, but that’s just speculation

1st half they over powered Dunbar with a dominant run game using up over 18 mins of the clock. Second half they thought they’d get cute and pass more, and it backfired. All it did was let Dunbar’s defense get rest, and caused FH’s defense to get worn down fast.

Maybe this is why they were encouraged to pass more, but that’s just speculation
You may be right but what does that have to do with the first play from scrimmage when two tackles were missed? What does that have to do with the last td that was just a toss out to the wide receiver who then embarrassed two fh defenders and ran 87 yards for a td. If you can't defend this type of offense, and clearly we can't, you have to change something or your result will never change. Appel can't beat Dunbar, that is a fact. Blame it on anything you want but it's his job, his call, his personnel, his coaching on how to tackle, how to contain, when to pass, not using a spread, being predictable...it's all on him. He gets credit when he wins I'm giving the credit for losing.

You may be right but what does that have to do with the first play from scrimmage when two tackles were missed? What does that have to do with the last td that was just a toss out to the wide receiver who then embarrassed two fh defenders and ran 87 yards for a td. If you can't defend this type of offense, and clearly we can't, you have to change something or your result will never change. Appel can't beat Dunbar, that is a fact. Blame it on anything you want but it's his job, his call, his personnel, his coaching on how to tackle, how to contain, when to pass, not using a spread, being predictable...it's all on him. He gets credit when he wins I'm giving the credit for losing.
Tackling was disgusting, no argument against that

Tackling was awful at times. But also well enough to hold Dunbar to one TD in the second half. Albeit a ridiculous TD run that had no business happening.

However, I don't know what happened to the offense over the last few weeks. Yea FH played against better teams in the playoffs than they had, but the offense still sputtered. And it wasn't lack of passing. Maybe if FH had passes more against Alco they mightve scored more, but against Dunbar, scrapping the run plan and going to the pass was the nail in the coffin.

Calling 11 pass plays, of which I believe only 5 actually turned into completions or at least a passing attempt, killed momentum in the worst possible spots. Especially coming out to start the second half.

FH got out coached. Thats my take. or..they out coached themselves. But Dunbar coaching staff is top notch. They did it right.

Yep! Too bad FH didn't play them in week 1. No comparison. Esp when FH beat Alco twice...

Allegany was also week 1 with an underdeveloped defense that never got measurably better. Nonetheless, FH should have dropped at least 30 points on Alco in the second game instead of squeaking by on a failed two point conversion.... Oh wait, Appel logic prevails here also. At homecoming Allegany was demoralized. Don't care if you red-jackets buy it.

Go back and review the Alco/Dunbar game. Alco offensive line was crisp. FH's line has always been large but never as quick as Alco's. Then, of course, there was Robinette. Dunbar dropped a ton of points on Allegany's defense but Robinette was worth a ton more yards carrying the ball. FH didn't have that advantage against Dunbar and had to pass or lose. They lost.

And... maybe the team knew about the pregame interview where Appel openly discussed their teammate's grades - and maybe they too became demoralized - just like Alco at homecoming after their teammates got screwed in the previous game. They are young men, but still kids at heart.

Face it, Dunbar had the same game plan as week one. The only difference was that their quarterback ran less against FH. I couldn't understand why he stood back there and took the hits in the first half - he ran against Allegany the entire game. If their quarterback would have taken off early.... well, we know what would have happened.

Hearing a lot of "shoulda, coulda, woulda, " by a bunch of people sitting behind a computer screen, including myself! What's done is done! All the "Coach Appel shoulda done this! Coach Hansel shoulda done that!" aint gonna change nothing except make us feel a little bit better knowing that "we" gave out two cents worth of knowledge. Always said, you couldn't pay me to be a high school coach, especially around these parts! Mr. Appel, Mr. Hansel, all you other Red and Blue coaches, "Thank Yous!" for all the time all of yous sacrifice day in and day out, are you all perfect? absolutely not! Thank The Lord we're all forgiven! .........change in the weather's a coming......

of course it counts, and it counts that you lost to fh twice and will continue to do so if all you are hanging your hat on is beating dunbar week 1. If fh continues to do what they do they'll continue to lose to dunbar. if alco continues to do what they do against fh they'll continue to lose to fh. appel and this staff can't beat dunbar, hanson and this staff can't beat fh. these are just facts, what point are you trying to make?
Only point I'm making is a win is a win no matter when it happens.. Don't get so upset over the Campers accomplishing something your team couldn't.. You can always fall back to BUT we beat you guys twice and that's better than a State Title LOL..

Only point I'm making is a win is a win no matter when it happens.. Don't get so upset over the Campers accomplishing something your team couldn't.. You can always fall back to BUT we beat you guys twice and that's better than a State Title LOL..

A win is definitely a win.

It's especially nice to win the games that you need to, when you need to. Neither FH or Alco did that this year.

i think you forget you didn't beat dunbar in annapolis. no offense but i don't think you'd have beaten them there or at dunbar, week 1 or week 10. i also don't think fh would've beaten lackey at lackey. like i said, if alco beats dunbar for a state title, get back to me, otherwise, you're comparing apples to oranges.
i'm not falling back on anything. you can check the history of my posts, i've said for 8 years i'd take a win over allegany over a state title any day. if you'd rather win a state title and i said "well you can fall back on that every time you lose to us" then I'd be pretending I knew how you felt. I honestly detest losing to alco more than anybody else, period.

i think you forget you didn't beat dunbar in annapolis. no offense but i don't think you'd have beaten them there or at dunbar, week 1 or week 10. i also don't think fh would've beaten lackey at lackey. like i said, if alco beats dunbar for a state title, get back to me, otherwise, you're comparing apples to oranges.
i'm not falling back on anything. you can check the history of my posts, i've said for 8 years i'd take a win over allegany over a state title any day. if you'd rather win a state title and i said "well you can fall back on that every time you lose to us" then I'd be pretending I knew how you felt. I honestly detest losing to alco more than anybody else, period.
Wow you would honestly rather have a win over Allegany than a State Championship? I'm speechless...

Reactions: cumbfanatic
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT